• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming help

Concern

Lately I've been thinking of getting a camera for streaming. I do it from time to time for fun but have actually had a bit of views for a nobody.

So I'm wondering what's the best camera for streaming on Xbox and what's the best capture equipment?

Sleepwalker

Elgato 4k if you plan on streaming over 1080, if not a hd60pro will be enough. these are internal capture cards for your PC, you connect the xbox to it then to your tv/monitor. if you have a laptop then get the HD60s (external)

as for camera, the logitech C920 is supposedly the best entry level camera.

I used to stream for a while but got bored. You'll need a mic too, don't use shitty headphone mics, a blue yeti one should be enough.

Concern

Elgato 4k if you plan on streaming over 1080, if not a hd60pro will be enough. these are internal capture cards for your PC, you connect the xbox to it then to your tv/monitor. if you have a laptop then get the HD60s (external)

as for camera, the logitech C920 is supposedly the best entry level camera.

I used to stream for a while but got bored. You'll need a mic too, don't use shitty headphone mics, a blue yeti one should be enough.

Thanks a lot. Will look into all those things. I use a mic normally but never a camera. Even then I've managed to have up to 70 viewers. I found it fun so im gonna just give it a go.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I wouldn't recommend streaming over 1080p especially if you are doing this as a hobbyist.

Some budget recommendations for low to mid tier video capture devices are:
Low tier
$20 to $100 bucks (all of these are external)
$17.99 on amazon cheap but does not allow passthrough. You will have to play on your PC monitor.
$34.99 on amazon. Offers cheap pass through capabilities
$39.99 on amazon. Same as above
$69.99 on amazon. It's older but it is at a great price right now

Webcams - IMO the most important thing here is a light source. You can have the best webcam in the world but if you are in a dark room your face stream is going to look bad.
Razer Kio on amazon. This will give you decent stream quality and offers lighting that you can adjust. Its also on sale right now for $49.99

Also, Sleepwalker Sleepwalker is spot on about the mic. You can find some good quality condenser USB mics. Yeti makes some good ones and I really like the elgato wave 3 (but it is a bit pricy)
Sticking with Razer: The Seiren mic isn't bad and its low profile.
Hyper X combo: A cheap little combo on sale right now that will get you a mid tier mic and lower tier set of headphones.

Last edited:

Concern

I wouldn't recommend streaming over 1080p especially if you are doing this as a hobbyist.

Some budget recommendations for low to mid tier video capture devices are:
Low tier
$20 to $100 bucks (all of these are external)
$17.99 on amazon cheap but does not allow passthrough. You will have to play on your PC monitor.
$34.99 on amazon. Offers cheap pass through capabilities
$39.99 on amazon. Same as above
$69.99 on amazon. It's older but it is at a great price right now

Webcams - IMO the most important thing here is a light source. You can have the best webcam in the world but if you are in a dark room your face stream is going to look bad.
Razer Kio on amazon. This will give you decent stream quality and offers lighting that you can adjust. Its also on sale right now for $49.99

Also, Sleepwalker Sleepwalker is spot on about the mic. You can find some good quality condenser USB mics. Yeti makes some good ones and I really like the elgato wave 3 (but it is a bit pricy)
Sticking with Razer: The Seiren mic isn't bad and its low profile.
Hyper X combo: A cheap little combo on sale right now that will get you a mid tier mic and lower tier set of headphones.

Thank you. All equipment has to be passed through a pc or laptop? I see both of you have mentioned that.

Its a hobby for me but I also don't want bad quality either.

Sleepwalker

Thank you. All equipment has to be passed through a pc or laptop? I see both of you have mentioned that.

Its a hobby for me but I also don't want bad quality either.

Yeah, the console streaming solutions are barebones, if you want to add overlays, alerts or basically anything custom to your stream thats not your face you'll need to do a PC passthrough, it's not an expensive hobby per se but it as per all hobbys, its as expensive as you want to make it. I also recommend downloading and playing around with streamlabs OBS.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
OBS or SLOBS: both require PC and video source input. All of the capture models I listed will require a PC to get your content ready for streaming.

Typically your streaming software will take two inputs (usually via USB) a camera and a video capture source (if you are playing on console you would use a capture card to get your console video into your pc).
You set up your layout (what folks will see on twitch).
Then OBS or SLOBS will take care of getting that stream to twitch.

Top Bottom