• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray Souls - Official Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out this creepy announcement trailer for Stray Souls, an upcoming third-person psychological horror game built on Unreal Engine 5.

In Stray Souls, Daniel inherits a suburban house from his estranged grandmother. The day he moves in, he meets a mysterious girl who seems to know a lot more about the house in which he now resides. As the night progresses, the dark secrets hiding in the house are slowly uncovered by Daniel.

Stray Souls is coming to Steam.

CamHostage

Unreal Engine 5 and MetaHumans both in use in this game (albeit the Early Access version of the toolkit.) That's rich tech employed (not necessarily better than you could do already with UE4, but better than you'd expect from what's likely a small studio making its first game... would have been nice if that rain hoodie wasn't plastered onto the model, but cloth-physics leather isn't easy,) and the results are nice and at good framerate in what is apparently engine footage "captured directly from game." They'll have more about the project and development, I'm curious to hear more about UE5 projects like this one.

Here's an earlier screen, looking a little less good, but it's all early.

Also I think this tiny snippet may be from the same game? (It wasn't, so I removed that GIF)

Last edited:

gela94

Who gave this character his haircut???????? But
Season 5 Drag GIF by LogoTV
thirdperson color me interested!

Last edited:
The whole vibrating head demon wearing dirty clothes thing never did much for me, but I'll stay tuned if it has a great atmosphere. Hopefully we get some actual gameplay soon.

Traxtech

Unreal Engine 5 and MetaHumans both in use in this game (albeit the Early Access version of the toolkit.) That's rich tech employed (not necessarily better than you could do already with UE4, but better than you'd expect from what's likely a small studio making its first game... would have been nice if that rain hoodie wasn't plastered onto the model, but cloth-physics leather isn't easy,) and the results are nice and at good framerate in what is apparently engine footage "captured directly from game." They'll have more about the project and development, I'm curious to hear more about UE5 projects like this one.

I think this tiny snippet may be from the same game? (Or a designer on it maybe? It's linked in the game's Twitter.)

Also, an earlier screen, looking a little less good, but it's all early.

That gif is from a movie.

rofif

Gold Member
So this is how new copy paste horror games will look like?
Even though the assets are high quality, the animation and feel is still terrible

whiskeyjack-YT

Neo Member
Uh, yeah. Had the game crapping out on me few times, but hey, its in very early stages of development.

What has me kinda scratching my beard is the dialogue and events. Not the delivery of the dialogue or the performance of the VA's, but the stuff they conversed. Felt absolutely awkward, out of place and generally the events felt absurd. Silly things. Maybe this was a demo on how they plan to do the interactions in the final game (use of walkie talkies) and not a real sequence in the game.

Anyways, gave the demo a spin and spew some thoughts while doing it!

Top Bottom