• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray | Review Thread

Imtjnotu

CatLady CatLady so this is what it's like to to be you
cat computer GIF by Product Hunt

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Amazing atmosphere this guy has, I played all night, because it's hot as shit and my insomnia kicked. Don't mind it that much, really cool game : )

sol_bad

Anyone have the PS5 version? How is it's performance? I have PS+ for the month but want to buy it to support the devs and I can't do 4K on my PC.

*EDIT*
Don't want to play it through PS+ in case I don't end up liking it. Might sound weird to people but I just want to support it and buy it based on it's original idea of playing as a cat in a sci-fi setting.

Last edited:

TonyK

Anyone have the PS5 version? How is it's performance? I have PS+ for the month but want to buy it to support the devs and I can't do 4K on my PC.

*EDIT*
Don't want to play it through PS+ in case I don't end up liking it. Might sound weird to people but I just want to support it and buy it based on it's original idea of playing as a cat in a sci-fi setting.
Until I played, perfect 60fps with crisp visuals during gameplay, but some cinematics seem 30fps to me. Not a big deal, I'm pretty happy with the performance and visuals, lighting in particular is phenomenal.

sol_bad

Until I played, perfect 60fps with crisp visuals during gameplay, but some cinematics seem 30fps to me. Not a big deal, I'm pretty happy with the performance and visuals, lighting in particular is phenomenal.

I'm fine with 30fps cut scenes, as long as performance is good during actual gameplay that's A-OK. Will purchase tomorrow I think.
:)

I finished it in 4,5 hours. But I like the length of the game and the design of the robots and world.
Also the music is awesome, I thought it was Disasterpeace until I saw in the end credits that it was not.

Played this today. Not bad, but even as a cat lover, come on… Hugely overrated. Not finished it yet to be fair, and I will because it’s worth playing, but this is a 7 at best.

Erebus

Debating whether I should just buy this on Steam or upgrade my subscription to Extra and try it on PS4 Pro along with the other games at offer.

Does it offer any replayability whatsoever?

winjer

Gold Member
Just noticed it has a 97% user score on Steam.
This might be a candidate for game of the year.

Last edited:
Very cool little game. Thought for sure I would tire of the cat gimmick but actually the longer the game goes on the more you start to identify with your character. You gradually become more resourceful and your quest becomes more interesting.

Some great cyberpunk art as well. Between this, CP2077 and The Ascent we're really getting spoiled for cool cyberpunk art recently.

TrebleShot

Good game, enjoyed my time with it and very pretty.
Not 10/10 but certainly a fun game and well made.

4.5 hours over x2 nights, wasn’t a fan of the ending. Hopefully there will be a follow up.

Excess

I've been noticing some micro stuttering on the PC version, and my PC is more than capable. This may need a little more optimization, but overall it hasn't been game breaking.

jigglet

Banned
Good game, enjoyed my time with it and very pretty.
Not 10/10 but certainly a fun game and well made.

4.5 hours over x2 nights, wasn’t a fan of the ending. Hopefully there will be a follow up.

I was half contemplating buying a PS5 for this, I think i'll wait. It's a lot of money to pay for 4.5 hours!

Stray devs:
"Lets make something people will love"

Druckmann:
"Lets make this thing that I love"

Well, two Druckmann posts in less than an hour, I better chill.
I just finished Stray and it was good. But, a lot more people loved TLOU2 than will even play Stray and TLOU2 is a much better game. The more popular something is, the more it lives rent free in the minds of its detractors.

Thief1987

Got blindsided by the girlfriend last night.

GF: "Do you have the Playstation subscription thing?"
Me: "You want to play Stray don't you ..."
GF: "... how did you know? I heard it makes cats go crazy."
Me: "Yeah, it's got a meow button. We can play it this weekend."
I don't know about that, my cats were curious about meowing maybe for two minutes, but after that they just went to sleep 🤣

Last edited:

KAOS

The game is like a love, death and robot short. A little on the boring side (wish it had better platforming & action) but charming!

TonyK

I don't like cats and I'm loving the game. I passed half way of the game and I'm glad to see it's a game and not a walking simulator. In fact, the vibes I receive when playing are similar to Little Nightmares.

Art is insane in PS5. Lighting is probably the best I've seen in a console game.

Only played a little of this so far, but it is an amazing little game. The developers really put a lot of heart and soul into details and crafting a truly unique experience.

I don't believe it'll win GOTY over Elden Ring, but I'd put a wager in that it'll win a couple of awards at TGAs and more than likely a nomination for GOTY.

Garibaldi

The game uses DX 11. At least that's what afterburner is telling me in its overlay. PCGamingWiki seems to confirm it too.

It's pretty much butter smooth for me (120+fps, 3840*1600, maxed (1.1 resolution scale), except for the occasional streaming stutter when you take a bucket over a lengthy area. Admittedly, I am playing this on 5950/3090/gen 4 m.2 so YMMV.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Done

30 bucks to the devs and publisher. Annapurna is one of my fav publishers. Very unique stuff like Gorogoa, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Edith Finch, etc

OT but I love the name Annapurna. It means 'goddess of grain' (literally- one who fills our plates with grain) in Sanskrit. Her mythological origin story is also cool.

Finally, it's also name of one of the highest and deadliest peaks in the Himalayas and the world.

Top Bottom