• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin Review Thread of CHAOS

ManaByte

Team Ninja’s reimagining of FINAL FANTASY I is here, and reviews are hitting. CHAOS!!

IGN: 8

RPG Site: 8

Chukhopops

NME: 1/5

Mefbqw2.jpg

Looks fun, adding to backlog since I don’t see it selling gangbusters and remaining at launch price for long.

Even Polygon praised the hyper-masculine protagonist lol. Is today opposite day?

"I didn’t expect to enjoy smashing the heads of monsters like this. I also didn’t expect to enjoy a story about a hyper-masculine man like Jack. But what I’ve come to learn in my time with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is that Jack isn’t a knight in shining armor. He’s better."

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Even Polygon praised the hyper-masculine protagonist lol. Is today opposite day?

"I didn’t expect to enjoy smashing the heads of monsters like this. I also didn’t expect to enjoy a story about a hyper-masculine man like Jack. But what I’ve come to learn in my time with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is that Jack isn’t a knight in shining armor. He’s better."
Jack’s edgelord masculinity caused the reviewer’s testosterone to spike above 200 for the first time since puberty.

Toots

Gold Member
I tried the demo yesterday and was agreably surprised !

Lots of loot, entertaining fighting system with lots of potential, cheesy but fun story only japanese know how to do.

Talking about the story :
it's gonna be kind of the storyline in FF10, where Yuna must sacrifice herself for the greater good except with a twist. The princess has to sacrifice herself for some reason and Garland/Chaos knight/her ex is trying to find a way out for her. Jack/next chaos knight/her simp will have to kill Garland, uncover the truth, and choose to become chaos at the end, because, in true buronson fashion, there is no bad guy in this story, only manly men who loved a woman a little bit too much.
5fe7ae7ece09224f5b5984c34b228d051432761744_full.jpg

Mister Wolf

No lie im actually interested in this Isekai story. I never knew anything about the storyline in FF1. Was it always an Isekai?

SJRB

Gold Member
Expected this to be a bloodbath but it's actually pretty decent?

Who would've thought after that reveal trailer, lol.

I'M HERE TO KILL CHAOS

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No lie im actually interested in this Isekai story. I never knew anything about the storyline in FF1. Was it always an Isekai?
Your party members are mute in FFI (there are no pre defined characters, you create all 4 of them). Only real story behind them is they appear at the darkest hour after a long journey, holding crystals that need to be restored.

And Garland’s story involves some timeloop that apparently this game is going to explain.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't care about the scores, the game seems fun enough already. It also seems like a very original game by today's standards, which is great.

I think it's not an Isekai, it just happens that there's this advanced civilization which has modern clothes and tech.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I cannot remember the last time I played a demo as much as I did the most recent one.

I really enjoy it.
I have played the FF series my entire life starting with FF1 the year it was released in the states, so maybe I am forgiving of more than I should be here.
I like the Nioh series as well, and the added concept of switching between jobs when I want while playing with two other folks just made the demo a ton of fun to play.

Opinions and ass holes etc etc.....

Last edited:

Kadve

Is this really a reimagining of FF1?
The way i understood it is that its a kinda sorta prequel not to dissimilar to Dissidia. Dealing with Garland "in the previous cycle" before he decided to end said "cycle" by becoming Chaos himself.

The flip-flop by Squeenix seems not to dissimilar to the FF7 "remake" and how it isn't actually one.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The performance/res issues are really odd given it looks to be using the Nioh engine, which was pretty efficient.

Reactions: Isa

jaysius

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy came to Gamepass, I’m too busy with Elden Ring now, I’ll probably forget about this game, but if it comes to Gamepass I’ll give it a shot.

Fbh

Watched the ACG review and it definitely looks like a wait for a sale. Fun combat but terrible level design, ugly visuals and bad performance.
I'm not a graphics whore but if you are giving me a game with small levels that looks like it came straight from 2 console gen ago I do at least expect it to run at a high res and locked 60fps.

Top Bottom