• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange World Bombs At Box Office in Disastrous Start for Disney Movie

QSD

The movie has a combo of as many minority/special groups as possible, but also a crazy planet setting.

As DragoonWalker said above, big alien sci fi movies are a dime a dozen. The key difference in marketing and plot is what is the key? Is it the people/cast? Or the wild creatures and planet?

Going by the old movie posters, it seems the focus is on the the fantasy creatures and creepy planet. Here's a snippet of Strange world posters, and also an official trailer. The movie is more focused on the people than the alien planet. Ya, there's some pink coloured tentacles or whatever, but you can tell the movie is more interested in the characters than the setting. Nothing wrong with that since it depends on the movie, but for a movie like this, you'd think it would be marketing fantastic imaginative art than people.
Yeah this is a good call, seems a bit like those Michael Bay Transformers movies that are basically about Megan Fox, Indiana Jones's kid, Mark Wahlberg and the rest of the army. I always loved TF because of the imaginative cyber world they inhabit, but this is nowhere to be found in the movies. This seems like a failure of the imagination.

This point gets brought up often, but the situations aren't equivalent. Like it or not, there are a large number of people who feel that homosexual behavior is sinful. To them, promoting it in media is akin to promoting other behaviors that are wrong.

Now, you're free to disagree with that core belief (which is a much larger conversation), but the fact that one type of relationship is seen as acceptable and one is not very sufficiently answers the "portrayal of gay relationship vs straight" objection.
I'm not really very comfortable with this argument, there is a lot of 'sinful' behaviour portrayed in movies, including cartoons and children's movies, with violence being the top contender, but this isn't balked about at all. Still reeks of claiming homosexuality is *especially* sinful, moreso than violence, which is a bad moral call IMHO.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
See, I disagree with this entirely. I, as the parent in charge of my kids, DO have complete say in what they watch and if I'm not ready to have a "why does that kid have two mommies" talk and all that goes with it then that is COMPLETELY FINE.
No, it's not, stop being a homophobe. Kids are way easier to deal with that adults, it's the adults that complicate things.

Kid: Why does he have two mommies?
Normal parent: Because people love different people, sometimes a man loves a woman, sometimes a woman loves another woman. What matters if they love each other and stay together.
Kid: K.

This is ALL there is to it, how fucking difficult is this ?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
No, it's not, stop being a homophobe. Kids are way easier to deal with that adults, it's the adults that complicate things.

Normal parent: Because people love different people, sometimes a man loves a woman, sometimes a woman loves another woman. What matters if they love each other and stay together.

Do you have kids? It doesn't sound like you do.

AJUMP23

I wanted to go see Fablemans but it is only in one theater in this town that is 30 minutes away. SO I guess I will wait for digital.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Attack the argument, not the poster.
Lol. Aw. Another sensitive atheist. Keep blaming that book for people not wanting to see gay movies and see how that keeps working out for you.
I am not blaming the book for anything, but if I had to I can start with touching on small kids, how does that work for you?

Listen, you're a bigot because of your religious beliefs, that's fine - it's your life. Just don't try to make it more complicated by saying you 'are not ready to have this conversation with your kids'. You will never be. You hope they will figure this shit out, hopefully turn out like you, the whole thing will go away on its own.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I am not blaming the book for anything, but if I had to I can start with touching on small kids, how does that work for you?

Listen, you're a bigot because of your religious beliefs, that's fine - it's your life. Just don't try to make it more complicated by saying you 'are not ready to have this conversation with your kids'. You will never be. You hope they will figure this shit out, hopefully turn out like you, the whole thing will go away on its own.
So many assumptions. I was actually planning on having a conversation about kids and raising them with the knowledge of people who are different than the average person. But you would rather just call people bigots and blame a book. So typical and pathetic.

This movie didn't fail because of bigotry. You know this. To say otherwise is supremely ignorant.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nonsense. Jesus was transgender.

The similarity between god and that squid girl in splatoon 3 not stopping at them being imaginary but having their sexuality assigned by lunatic twatters is something i didn't knew i needed in my life.

RAÏSanÏa

Nonsense. Jesus was transgender.

The “truly shocking” address at last Sunday’s evensong at Trinity College chapel, saw Joshua Heath, a junior research fellow, display Renaissance and Medieval paintings of the crucifixion that depicted a side wound that the guest preacher likened to a vagina.
Worshippers told The Telegraph they were left “in tears” and felt excluded from the church, with one shouting “heresy” at the Dean upon leaving.
A Trinity College spokesman said: “The sermon explored the nature of religious art, in the spirit of thought-provoking academic inquiry, and in keeping with open debate and dialogue at the University of Cambridge.”

Aleister Crowley(12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947) went to Trinity College.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
How shocking. The usual people morally grandstanding and blaming people who aren't the target audience for not seeing the movie. Blaming a book and different political beliefs because they can't face the simple truth that gay movies will always have a limited audience. Keep that tunnel vision. Keep that ideological bubble. You people clearly need too because reality is something you can't face.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because most people use that book, which is based on thier religion, to justify WHY homosexuality is "sinful," your comment makes little sense.
Most people can't relate to those types of characters, hence why movies like Bros bomb. Not because they're bigots, because they can't identify with that lifestyle; thus they have no interest in it.

Edit: saw the mod post. Moving on.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Most people can't relate to those types of characters, hence why movies like Bros bomb. Not because they're bigots, because they can't identify with that lifestyle; thus they have no interest in it.

Same reason I never watched Ratatouille. I just can't identify with the "French talking rat that doubles as a culinary genius who controls humans by hiding under their hat and pulling on their hair and eventually runs their own Michelin 4-Star Restaurant" lifestyle.

I also will never watch Transformers because I can't identify with being a giant talking robot and will certainly never watch The Lord of the Rings because I can't identify with being a 3ft tall creature with super hairy feet that walks around barefoot and lives underground in the side of a hill.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Same reason I never watched Ratatouille. I just can't identify with the "French talking rat that doubles as a culinary genius who controls humans by hiding under their hat and pulling on their hair and eventually runs their own Michelin 4-Star Restaurant" lifestyle.

I also will never watch Transformers because I can't identify with being a giant talking robot and will certainly never watch The Lord of the Rings because I can't identify with being a 3ft tall creature with super hairy feet that walks around barefoot and lives underground in the side of a hill.
Are you really comparing fantasy to an over the top homoerotic comedy? Sexual encounters and lifestyles tend to be a little more personal to people, especially the majority of people sitting in a dark room full of other people.

People even squirmed and had uncomfortable chuckles at the scene with naked bare assed Thor and the thirsty Zeus thots when watching the movie with their children, not expecting that scene.

I knew someone would come in with a "what about cape shit" fallacy though.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Are you really comparing fantasy to an over the top homoerotic comedy? Sexual encounters tend to be a little more personal to people, especially the majority of people sitting in a dark room full of other people.

People even squirmed and had uncomfortable chuckles at the scene with naked bare assed Thor and the thirsty Zeus thots when watching the movie with their children, not expecting that scene.

I knew someone would come in with a "what about cape shit" fallacy though.

I'm comparing fantasy to another fantasy in Strange World, as DeepEnigma DeepEnigma compared Strange World to Bros (as if they're remotely comparable).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm comparing fantasy to another fantasy in Strange Worlds, as DeepEnigma DeepEnigma compared Strange Worlds to Bros (as if they're remotely comparable).
Strange Worlds failed because it looks uninteresting. Down to the inconsistent art style. The "Disney label" is not too big to fail, clearly.

My comment was about people not wanting to see certain material because they can't relate (i.e. Bros bombing), not because they're bigots. Follow the conversation of what was quoted.

Last edited:

Doom85

With that being said, I never ONCE saw an ad for this movie. Seems like Disney isn't willing to promote it?

Yeah, felt like little marketing was done. On the other hand, YouTube fucking shoved that Bones and All film (also came out this past weekend) down my throat since it was like 50+% of the ads I was getting. Made me so sick of it I have zero desire to see it at all now, so hey way to fuck up with the opposite extreme of marketing.

I would have seen Knives Out 2 over Strange World, but the former will be on Netflix in a month so I don’t mind waiting if it’s THAT soon.

Lunarorbit

I'm actually a little taken back at the reaction to this movie bombing on the internet.

When Ms marvel and she-hulk came out and the viewership numbers weren't on par with similar Disney/marvel shows it was all the angry guys on the internet's fault. Lots of blame on guys just being sexist.

With this movie failing all I've seen is mostly reasonable takes such as:

Movie had no marketing
It's coming out to D+ so ppl skipped it
Theater attendance is down

Just annoying how the different levels of "scandalous" are reacted to.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm actually a little taken back at the reaction to this movie bombing on the internet.

When Ms marvel and she-hulk came out and the viewership numbers weren't on par with similar Disney/marvel shows it was all the angry guys on the internet's fault. Lots of blame on guys just being sexist.

With this movie failing all I've seen is mostly reasonable takes such as:

Movie had no marketing
It's coming out to D+ so ppl skipped it
Theater attendance is down

Just annoying how the different levels of "scandalous" are reacted to.
Funny how men were blamed for Ms Marvel, and not women or better yet feminist's themselves for not lining up on droves to go see the female power role. Especially when women make up just under 51% of the US population, and 50% of the world's population.

Maybe some people just don't like the actress or character that much.

Bill Burr is a national treasure,

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny how men were blamed for Ms Marvel, and not women or better yet feminist's themselves for not lining up on droves to go see the female power role. Especially when women make up just under 51% of the US population, and 50% of the world's population.

Maybe some people just don't like the actress or character that much.

Bill Burr is a national treasure,

People have an entitlement that just because they make something they think is the best ever, that everyone in town should stop by, open their wallet and love paying for it. Often comes from extroverted all or nothing jobbers like athletes and media. If they make it big making millions they love it. If it doesn't pay the bills they complain and expect everyone to cover their shit job nobody cares about. You dont see a cookie company complaining to the world they think their chocolate chip cookie is the best ever so why arent people buying it. If it sucks, they either revamp it or drop it.

Women's sports leagues are a joke. WNBA and women's pro hockey are subsidized by the NBA and NHL. Without them, there wouldnt even be women's leagues at all. There's even enough money floating around to fund 12 year olds playing organized hockey leagues in prep of hoping getting drafting 5 years later.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
-at least I provided a source. You basically went, “nah” and acted like that was gospel. I might take your word for it if it weren’t for all the other batshit takes you have here
........ I already had to deal with one obnoxious troll in the Black Panther 2 thread, you’re not at troll level yet but kind of pushing it, and the holiday season is not a good time of year to test my patience with clown shenanigans.
Sigh.

Go back and watch a lot of older kids films. Not films that could sorta be shown to kids, but actual KIDS films.

See how they skirt, dance, and weave around actually showing or committing to a single controversial/distressing thing. Go watch "Fox and the Hound" and see how many modern spins you could put on it or just see it as a tale of a fox and a hound learning to like each other. There used to be some basic ground rules for how a KIDS show worked.

Question for you, do you have kids that you are actively raising? 'Cause you sound like someone speaking without actual daily practice. Guarding what they see, particularly when young, is an almost constant chore if they have access to the internet or streaming TV.

As for the wiki statement about helicopter parenting relating to educational institutions, here is what the source for that sentence ACTUALLY says:

Over-parenting translates into parents acting as the frontal lobe for the child—examples include maneuvering to get the ‘right’ teacher, hovering over social interactions, directing play, deciding when their children should pull the plug on a social relationship or initiate a new one, overly checking assignments and grades, controlling extracurricular activities.

As you can read, the source itself is just from a layman magazine by a clinical psychologist blogger, not even an academic. AND it specifies the over-reach of a parent in schools, a far cry from "knowing what is being taught to your kids". THIS is why wiki is a dangerous source to "quote".

Or you could look at wiktionary, where it is summarized as:

Etymology[edit]​

From the tendency to hover over their children's lives, like a helicopter.

Noun[edit]​

helicopter parent (plural helicopter parents)

1. A parent who pays an inordinate amount of attention to their children and often makes decisions, particularly educational ones, normally the province of the student.
Again, INORDINATE amount, not ANY amount of attention. And if you follow THAT source, the Boston Globe, you get this:

Some parents are writing their college-age kids' resumes. Others are acting as their children's "representatives," hounding college career counselors, showing up at job fairs and sometimes going as far as calling employers to ask why their son or daughter didn't get a job.

It's the next phase in helicopter parenting, a term coined for those who have hovered over their children's lives from kindergarten to college. Now they are inserting themselves into their kids' job search -- and school officials and employers say it's a problem that may be hampering some young people's careers.

You can see where the over-reach comes from. Its removing decision making from a kid, not gating what they actually learn AT ALL, particularly when young.

Shall we continue to thrown references at each other?

jason10mm

Gold Member

Why are you calling that homophobic? Cut it with the name calling.

And roger, mod, heard you loud and clear, I'm off this topic.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I haven't watched this, but imo some of the recent Pixar stuff relies heavily on creepy realism and weird cynical tone, i wish LightYear was just a fun toy movie like ToyStory 1 and 2,i miss those times..

At least the Mario movie looks fun 🍄🍝🌟

Toons

Banned
This movie was advertised very poorly. Barely knew it was coming out til like a week before hand.

Im pretty sure that Disney sent it out to die.

Doesn't look bad but it didn't seem to have a big hook. Maybe ill catch it on streaming.

Zathalus

Can't believe people are still arguing about the gay teenager or wokeness of this movie. You could have changed the romance to straight, make everyone white and the movie would still have sucked and bombed.

Also the pearl clutching about the gay romance is hilarious, they have like a minute of screen time together and don't even get to the hand holding stage. Its much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Already on D+ next week

Frustrated World Cup GIF

RAÏSanÏa

Excellent. I wanted to watch this at home after learning about it and the Forbidden Planet connection here. Thought it'd be after New Year. Maybe trying to boost any Boxing Day discount toy sales.

Ozriel

M$FT
I honestly have a hard time keeping most of Disney's recent output apart from one another. Think its something with the color pallet.
raya_and_the_last_dragon_ver7_xlg.png
rsz_41164ab3_06df_44c1_9618_d4ade27e50d6.png
c3f32fcb_d158_43ce_8f7d_746df9ba987c.png

You're joking if you lump Moana with the others. That's a very good outing for Disney.

Havent seen Encanto and I thought Raya was forgettable.

tkscz

You're joking if you lump Moana with the others. That's a very good outing for Disney.

Honestly my wife loves Encanto, but I just thought it was ok. People make it seem like it opened a new world of story telling but it tells a very familiar story in a slightly different way. It's memorable, I'll give it that, but it's just ok to me.

People have an entitlement that just because they make something they think is the best ever, that everyone in town should stop by, open their wallet and love paying for it. Often comes from extroverted all or nothing jobbers like athletes and media. If they make it big making millions they love it. If it doesn't pay the bills they complain and expect everyone to cover their shit job nobody cares about. You dont see a cookie company complaining to the world they think their chocolate chip cookie is the best ever so why arent people buying it. If it sucks, they either revamp it or drop it.

Women's sports leagues are a joke. WNBA and women's pro hockey are subsidized by the NBA and NHL. Without them, there wouldnt even be women's leagues at all. There's even enough money floating around to fund 12 year olds playing organized hockey leagues in prep of hoping getting drafting 5 years later.
I didn't even know there was a women's NHL.

Kadve

Never claimed anything to be bad. Just that they are very homogeneous to the point that their characters and assets blend together.

Pixar is slightly better but not by much.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Never claimed anything to be bad. Just that they are very homogeneous to the point that their characters and assets blend together.

Pixar is slightly better but not by much.

Ah Ok. Moana came first so i guess that’s why it much more memorable than the others.

I’ll add that whenever I set up karaoke for the kids and their friends, the only Disney songs they sing are Encanto songs

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I liked Encanto. I remember liking Raya well enough too, but I couldn't tell you much about it now. That's the problem for me with Disney these days. Most of the movies are largely forgettable.

AJUMP23

Speaking of WOKE Disney. I am watching the new National Treasure series. First episode, the protagonist speaks of DACA, not getting deported, and other virtue signaling for viewers. The second episode starts with them saying they will attend a peaceful protest then get arrested for rioting. The writers cannot seem to help themselves.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Speaking of WOKE Disney. I am watching the new National Treasure series. First episode, the protagonist speaks of DACA, not getting deported, and other virtue signaling for viewers. The second episode starts with them saying they will attend a peaceful protest then get arrested for rioting. The writers cannot seem to help themselves.

Walt Disney would have been rolling in his grave if it weren't for the fact that he's been frozen.

Top Bottom