• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight up... The combat in The Last of Us Part II is completely and entirely unmatched.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
30 seconds is all i need to make my case.

but since this is a forum for discussion...

Please name a game that blends as perfectly; intensity, brutality, realism, visceral nature, hit reaction, enemy AI, controls, animation, physics, graphics, NPC voice acting, dialogue and feel as well as this game does. Theres none.

The simplicity of the controls, the verticality of the environments, the feel of the weapons. Perfection. People who despise the story are even praising the combat, its truly special.

That blood spray at 45 seconds in. Jesus christ. When I play other games it feels like im in Day Care.

GOAT combat.

btw theres literally thousands of vids I could have posted this was just one i had saved recently. if you dont like the video just play the game on a high difficulty. :messenger_peace:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Hell Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Ninja Gaiden and its sequel.
I can think of a bunch of games that have Tier 1 combat.

But im guessing what you are asking is which game that is exactly like the last of us has combat as good as the last of us?
Because, you know there are so many the last of us clones out there for us to apples to apples compare it to.

P.S Did that chick jump down like 2 stories like it was nothing.

P.P.S Reminds me of aggressive Splinter Cell gameplay:

isoRhythm

Banned
Please name a game that blends as perfectly; intensity, brutality, realism, visceral nature, hit reaction, enemy AI, controls, animation, physics, graphics, NPC voice acting, dialogue and feel as well as this game does. Theres none.
100%. The only game I found that can give the same level of satisfaction/brutality is Blade & Sorcery, but that is a VR game and very low budget.

Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Hell Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Ninja Gaiden and its sequel.

OP Isn't talking about the combat in the game, they're talking about the overall brutality of the violence. None of those games come anywhere close.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

But im guessing what you are asking is which game that is exactly like the last of us has combat as good as the last of us?
Because, you know there are so many the last of us clones out there for us to apples to apples compare it to.

No dude, read again.

intensity, brutality, realism, visceral nature, hit reaction, enemy AI, controls, animation, physics, graphics, NPC voice acting, dialogue and feel as well as this game does.

Ellery

Always easy to tell who didn't play the game and thinks this is too good to be true, but it is just Naughty Dog.

Wish we had more developers on that level and I can't wait for whatever comes next from ND.

This is exactly why attention to detail and working hard on things like animations are so important in this industry. Amazing looking animations give you visual feedback of what you executed on screen and that is why some games feel so damn good to play (another good example would be Metal Gear Solid V. When that game came out it felt so damn good to play and Snake's animations were absolutely top notch).

I am always impressed at the level of detail in their animation with each release.

ND is where I go to be impressed by modern animation in gaming.

It's a fucking shame they're one of the few to do it at that high of a level. AC used to hold a candle up until Unity, everything after that was canned animations all around.

GymWolf

Ia is still highly exploitable even on grounded, name calling and telling you where they are searching doesn't make them more intelligent when they still have some suicidal instincts, and lack of awareness of how bad the situation is.

Still better ia than majority of realistic tps, but not the holy grail that some people say, i have 2 runs on that game on the 2 latest difficulty modes so i know what i'm talking about, i literally repeated the biggest setpieces to test the ia and how they fair.

But yeah, the game was my goty solely for the combat since story and charas are mostly trash, this is how meaty, impactful and exciting the combat is, only rdr2 has a similar level of satisfaction when you shoot mofos but far worse controls,aim and melee system of course, cover is kinda flawed in both (less in tlou2 but still not gears level of precision)

Also the microdetails in the gore are great.

Other devs who are making realistic games need to get their shit together, this is the gold standard for animations and how meaty and gorey a combat needs to be.

Last edited:

GymWolf

100%. The only game I found that can give the same level of satisfaction/brutality is Blade & Sorcery, but that is a VR game and very low budget.

OP Isn't talking about the combat in the game, they're talking about the overall brutality of the violence. None of those games come anywhere close.
Get gorn a try dude.

Black_Stride

No dude, read again.

So as I said.
A game thats like the last of us that has combat as good as the last of us, because we have so many games like the last of us to compare it too.

How are we even supposed to start gauging:
intensity, brutality, realism, visceral nature, hit reaction, enemy AI, controls, animation, physics, graphics, NPC voice acting, dialogue and feel
Between games that could be in vastly different genres?

God of War '18 is more: Intense, Brutal, Visceral with very good controls, Animations, Physics and Graphics and definitely feels better......but i dont know about realism and NPC voice acting?

So OP is basically loading the deck with....what game that isnt The Last of Us is better at being The Last of Us?

Max_Po

Banned
There was a twitter or reddit thread about a newly discovered animation of rail sliding ... really incredible detail. I gotta start my 3rd playthrough sometime ...

All I can say.

What systems will they able to do with a PS5.
They has to make that shit work on PS4 with those graphics.

Horizon FW looks like it stepped up its game too. 2022 is going to be great. Nuaghty Dog has to release something next year. Remake or Factions.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Lol... how can that even be when animations take always priority over input?

If you want to stick with Sony I would say Returnal destroys it. But really, it's full of games with better gameplay, almost anything outside these playable movies from Playstation Studios.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

P.S Did that chick jump down like 2 stories like it was nothing.

P.P.S Reminds me of aggressive Splinter Cell gameplay:

Those games have 0 AI reaction to combat. It’s like you’re fighting all the same things with slightly different move sets.

TLOU is the whole package.

WitchHunter

30 seconds is all i need to make my case.

but since this is a forum for discussion...

The simplicity of the controls, the verticality of the environments, the feel of the weapons. Perfection. People who despise the story are even praising the combat, its truly special.

That blood spray at 45 seconds in. Jesus christ. When I play other games it feels like im in Day Care.

GOAT combat.

btw theres literally thousands of vids I could have posted this was just one i had saved recently. if you dont like the video just play the game on a high difficulty. :messenger_peace:

Your cock is stuck in the wall outlet.

It's a simple detail, but it kind of blew my mind when the enemies all had names. Someone would start shouting "Oh my god, someone's killed Gary!" or whatever - it really made them feel alive, like people and not just enemies. Also, it made me feel like even more or an asshole, and that there's always two sides in a conflict. Absolutely brilliant.

JackSparr0w

Banned
That combat looks too real to me would feel uncomfortable playing it, don't want to feel guilt while playing a game. Didn't know Eliie is a mass murderer.

Those games have 0 AI reaction to combat. It’s like you’re fighting all the same things with slightly different move sets.

TLOU is the whole package.
It’s hard to beat TLOU2 when it comes to that stuff, but imo Ninja Gaiden 2 back in the day on X360 was quite impressive when it came to blood, gore, decapitations, limb removal, enemy reactions, guts and grisley animations with mangled bodies lying everywhere in Ryu’s wake that didn’t disappear. It was so brutal and even somewhat realistic to the point where they had to hide it behind store counters to sell it in Japan if I remember correctly. I think it even got censored version later as well.

Last edited:

Yoboman

So as I said.
A game thats like the last of us that has combat as good as the last of us, because we have so many games like the last of us to compare it too.

intensity, brutality, realism, visceral nature, hit reaction, enemy AI, controls, animation, physics, graphics, NPC voice acting, dialogue and feel

God of War '18 is more: Intense, Brutal, Visceral with very good controls, Animations, Physics and Graphics and definitely feels better......but i dont know about realism and NPC voice acting?

So OP is basically loading the deck with....what game that isnt The Last of Us is better at being The Last of Us?
I think what makes The Last of Us stand out is the animation quality. Both in everything happening and the sheer quantity of animations that the main character has at their disposal.

In some games like RDR2 the overload of animation makes it cumbersome, but whatever witchcraft Naughty Dog worked made it the exact opposite in TLOU2.

For me its like going from 2003 stylish action games to Ninja Gaiden except in the third persona shooter genre. The leap in animation was so big and it felt so good that its contemporaries couldn't hold a candle

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Lol what?
What AI Reaction to combat are you talking about specifically?
Reactions to being hit

SleepyShamelessLemur-size_restricted.gif

Reactions to loss

Alan.gif

Or just simply getting up close and personal.

DeafeningIndelibleArachnid-size_restricted.gif

GymWolf

I love tlou2 combat but let's not start with saying that stuff like dmc5 is inferior, completely different type of combats and you can do stuff in dmc or other action games that makes tlou2 looks cute in terms of how deep a combat can be, the melee combat in tlou2 is great to see but super uber basic.

Different genres, it is like comparing arma 3 with bulletstorm because you can use guns in both.

isoRhythm

Banned
Lol what?
What AI Reaction to combat are you talking about specifically?
AI in TLOU2 will barely miss shots, actively communicate, and will actually flank you.

I love tlou2 combat but let's not start with saying that stuff like dmc5 is inferior, completely different type of combats and you can do stuff in dmc
I missed the part where OP brought up DMC

Last edited:

RPS37

Big facts. So glad I was able to finally finish it on PS5.
I hadn’t play it for possibly a year and was able to easily jump right back in.
It felt really good too.
It also gives you so many options for how to approach scenarios.
Also crafting and switching weapons/adding a silencer works really well.
It’s just dope.

mcjmetroid

Lol... how can that even be when animations take always priority over input?

If you want to stick with Sony I would say Returnal destroys it. But really, it's full of games with better gameplay, almost anything outside these playable movies from Sony Studios.
Exactly!

Returnal is better here as an example even on the same system.

What the OP means is that the animation is top-tier and it sure is.

Black_Stride

AI in TLOU2 will barely miss shots, actively communicate, and will actually flank you.

I missed the part where OP brought up DMC

You mean like in F.E.A.R from 2005?

OP framed the thread as a question stating TLOU2 had the best combat ever ever....so i have to bring up games that have good combat?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So as I said.

You're not getting it.

You posted gameplay of Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Are the enemies choking on their own blood when you shoot them in the neck? Do they scream in agony when you shot one of their limbs off? Does their dialog immediately cut off when they shoot them in the head? Do they beg for their life when they're the only ones left? Do they call out their friend's name as soon as they die?

What about the player?

When you have a hostage around their neck and you shoot their head, does the blood splatter back onto the player's face? Does their running animation change based on the player's stamina? Do they open doors differently based on player's fatigue and how fast they're running? Is the AI calling out your exact position and flanking you at the right time? Can you hear the player breathe differently while they're running? Can you steal their weapon mid-combat?

This is just part of it.

The level of immersion\detail when it comes to the combat is on another level compared to the majority of video games out there.

Just reminded me I'm currently on a playthrough of this, think I'll continue tonight. Fundamentally speaking TLOU2 is an audio visual masterpiece that has no equal currently ( that will change this generation however). On a purely AI level it has the same old limitations of other games but hides them better than most. With these far better CPU's in the new consoles we should see a huge improvement as this generation moves ahead.

Black_Stride

You're not getting it.

You posted gameplay of Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Are the enemies choking on their own blood when you shoot them in the neck? Do they scream in agony when you shot one of their limbs off? Does their dialog immediately cut off when they shoot them in the head? Do they beg for their life when they're the only ones left? Do they call out their friend's name as soon as they die?

What about the player?

When you have a hostage around their neck and you shoot their head, does the blood splatter back onto the player's face? Does their running animation change based on the player's stamina? Do they open doors differently based on player's fatigue and how fast they're running? Is the AI calling out your exact position and flanking you at the right time? Can you hear the player breathe differently while they're running? Can you steal their weapon mid-combat?

This is just part of it.

The level of immersion\detail when it comes to the combat is on another level compared to the majority of video games out there.
The gameplay reminded me of Splinter Cell, i wasnt stating that it was better or worse.

This is a thread about combat right?

if we are talking about graphics obviously TLOU2 was/is one of the best looking games out there
if we are talking about animations ND are top tier.
if we are talking about subtle details again ND are kings at that.

The thing is the thread is a stacked deck that specifically benefits TLOU2 so why bother asking it?
In a thread about combat saying enemies give up sometimes isnt really a thing, because imagine in a game like FEAR they dont have a choice to give up.....but the combat is still visceral, brutal, with good hit reactions and "clever" AI........ yadaydaydyadyayad.
So suddenly FEAR is obviously worse at combat because the enemies never give up and you cant steal their weapons?

You literally need to make bring up games like the last of us to even have a conversation that the OP has presented.

I dont get it indeed.
Im trying to present how silly a premise the thread is.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The gameplay reminded me of Splinter Cell, i wasnt stating that it was better or worse.

if we are talking about graphics obviously TLOU2 was/is one of the best looking games out there

The thing is the thread is a stacked deck that specifically benefits TLOU2 so why bother asking it?
In a thread about combat saying enemies give up sometimes isnt really a thing, because imagine in a game like FEAR they dont have a choice to give up.....but the combat is still visceral, brutal, with good hit reactions and "clever" AI........ yadaydaydyadyayad.
So suddenly FEAR is obviously worse at combat because the enemies never give up and you cant steal their weapons?

You literally need to make bring up games like the last of us to even have a conversation that the OP has presented.

I dont get it indeed.

Again, read carefully.

You stopped reading at the headline. You're being asked to name the game that blends these elements perfectly.

You don't.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the few games that come close, but there are obviously things that hold it back.

Yoboman

I dont get it indeed.
Its literally making huge strides to more realistic and human like AI behaviour, which is something few games have really managed to make an impression on since FEAR. The only thing silly is trying to dismiss it

Top Bottom