• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ellery

yeah, I thought that guy deleted his Twitter but not surprised he figured it out too. He's far more intelligent than myself, lol

Yeah he deleted it multiple times, but always comes back and now he tweets something and deletes each tweet individually after a few minutes and the burryarchives instantly snap them.

LQX

WOW....BBBY crushed a lot of souls and accounts today. I jumped in late and still made a few gains but got scared as shit and sold most of it. Now it is going to drop to $5 in the morning. WSB is the devil.

WOW....BBBY crushed a lot of souls and accounts today. I jumped in late and still made a few gains but got scared as shit and sold most of it. Now it is going to drop to $5 in the morning. WSB is the devil.
Wish I knew about it prior, too busy working.

Once it squeezed, it's too late, you don't go chasing the climb up, easy way to get burned.

Some really really stupid price action on Amc right before dividend payment which for me should be tomorrow.

Last edited:

MikeM

I got greedy. Was up $1200 but ended up losing $550 which is pale in comparison to others. Oh well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got into GCT at the open today and sold it. Almost doubled my money in less than two hours on lucky Chinese meme shit!!! I'll look out for more of these things. I missed out on the other two dumb stocks that rocketed up.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I'm going to do something out of character but potentially lucrative in the long run. $1K across a bunch of crypto and happy to wait 1-10 years. I've never really traded crypto but I'm thinking even doge shit ones can have their peaks and troughs in magnitudes more than their worth. There was an interesting article (Forex Suggest) that caught me and I figured for some play money why not dump a cross section of play money into crypto and just watch for one to land over time. Seems like a good lull to dip in currently.

Good? Bad? Ugly? Suggestions?

Here's what sparked it for me, Crypto gains over 5 years. -

eb0b939703c6ca742ccc85aaa4096fe7

VS stocks

d732f00cc4a98375d30d1923a889927d
If you want security, I'd recommend a S&P 500 Index fund. If you want to gamble, then absolutely go for crypto. How are your retirement accounts and other investments? Are you financially stable and secure? Etc. etc. etc. I would not dip your toe into the crypto world without being comfortable with potentially losing the majority of that initial investment.

If you want security, I'd recommend a S&P 500 Index fund. If you want to gamble, then absolutely go for crypto. How are your retirement accounts and other investments? Are you financially stable and secure? Etc. etc. etc. I would not dip your toe into the crypto world without being comfortable with potentially losing the majority of that initial investment.

Yeah I'm prepared to lose the $1k play money investment. I'd be surprised if they all dropped to complete zero but I reckon the payoff is there and worth a run for 5-10 years.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah I'm prepared to lose the $1k play money investment. I'd be surprised if they all dropped to complete zero but I reckon the payoff is there and worth a run for 5-10 years.
Then dive in brother. I had some BTC, ETH, & Doge but cashed out (thankfully before the crash). I’ll get back in at some point. I’ll probably just stick with BTC this time.

I received my APE dividend for AMC, and it basically brought the price down for AMC proportionally with the price that APE got.

So no money lost, now there's 2 stocks that may run up though so I'll see what happens.

Looking to buy some Nintendo before the end of September to get in on that 10 for 1 split plus dividend, so saving for that.

so I noticed something fishy this evening.

Since quantitative easing supposedly 'ended' in March this year, the Federal Reserve has bought a staggering $757.8 BILLION in assets ($626.6B US Treasuries and $131.2B Mortgage-Backed Securities).

Given that were ar 9.1% CPI and far worse real inflation, that is absurd.

What is interesting about this exactly? well, lets look at the numbers in more detail. To be exact, they are $626,619,417,800 & $131,282,000,000 -- (pulled direct from US Treasury and NY Fed results)

These are absolutely outright purchases, even if "principal reinvestment" is now supposedly subject to caps. We will never see CNBC report these figures. They're intentionally complex to calculate, and greatly exceed the Fed's estimates. Even if they're being applied correctly, the actual "caps" on "reinvestment" are clearly too small if the Fed's still buying this amount of assets.

In a nutshell, it's wild to me that the Fed has spent more buying treasuries and MBS in the past few months ($757.8B) than the ENTIRE 10-year revenue estimate for the "Inflation Reduction Act" - which itself is disturbingly excessive ($739B).

To conclude the figures, just ysterday (16th aug) they bought another $30.5B US treasuries ($26.5B 3-YR Notes. It still wasn't enough to flip most stocks green on the day.

That brings total assets purchases to ~$800 BILLION since the supposed end of QE 🤦🏻‍♂️

The Fed continues to massively manipulate markets and one has to wonder to what end. Spoiler; it isn't good for the middle class.

So what does this all mean you say? Well this is my theory. Since Covid gave them the perfect market conditions to do so, they closed in on a long term goal that was set by the super rich a long time ago. They printed liquidity money out of thin air with the public headlines of 'save the markets!' which in turn, knowing naturally doing so increases inflation, whilst telling everyone it would he transitory. They then buy real assets with the printed money, and then raise taxes to ensure that the interest on the loan is paid by normies.

In short this is the biggest theft of wealth in the history of the world. I am starting to wonder if this whole great reset thing has deeper roots than I initially realised. The fed is keeping the public concerned with inflation and worrying headlines whilst it give 800B to wallstreet to buy assets. It's absolutely fucking gross and I know hardly anyone will see what has happened. When this whole system falls apart they will just blame russia and china and consumer credit card habits and all the usual excuses.
The great reset also has something to do with “you will own nothing and be happy”. It seems they’re trying to everything to be a rental or subscription.

Fools idol

Banned
I firmly believe at this point the fed is just waiting until bonds mature. Unwind is not going to stop a debt default. Given this horrible macro economic environment and the geopolitics going down, the US economy is in it's riskiest period since 1929.

Powell is likely to lie more about things on his next speach. I will use any pops in the market to double my short positions. Once the music stops this crash will make a billionaire out of me. I'll buy Neogaf and everyone a PS5. 🤣

GHG

Gold Member
I firmly believe at this point the fed is just waiting until bonds mature. Unwind is not going to stop a debt default. Given this horrible macro economic environment and the geopolitics going down, the US economy is in it's riskiest period since 1929.

Powell is likely to lie more about things on his next speach. I will use any pops in the market to double my short positions. Once the music stops this crash will make a billionaire out of me. I'll buy Neogaf and everyone a PS5. 🤣

Don't see them allowing the bottom to fall out until after the midterms.

But until then they will say whatever they think people need to hear.

The VIX is dangerously low considering the overall macro environment (especially so on a global scale). My take on the current situation is that when (not if, we are well past that stage) shit hits the fan there will be so many unprepared people and that's going to result in a deeper crash than most anticipate.

What people are also underestimating is how long it's going to take for the market to recover from said crash. There will be no V.

Fools idol

Banned
yeah agreed.

TLDR right now for 95% of people especially in this thread, it's time to take profits and keep building cash, playing videogames and bunkering the fuck down. Were about to enter a very choppy economic period.

Fredrik

So how much are you all losing? Anyone willing to post some walk of shame figures?

I’m down $4000 for the year.

Could’ve bought a beast of a PC instead but here I sit trying to catch the falling knife throughout the whole year like a fool.

Nvidia dropped -9% for the day. 🤕

Fools idol

Banned
So how much are you all losing? Anyone willing to post some walk of shame figures?

Could’ve bought a beast of a PC instead but here I sit trying to catch the falling knife throughout the whole year like a fool.

I'm actually up a good 30% from going all in on Alibaba at $75 -$80 ish.

Also short the market so yesterday was a good day.

GHG

Gold Member

Up 18% YTD.

All cash and selling options, mostly strangles but also some monthly rolling cash secured puts on stocks that I actually want (but those are typically way out of the money).

Literally don't care about this market, it's uninvestsble at the moment until inflation is under control, the VIX peaks and the FED signal the green light. Until then no money is going in to any stock unless I get assigned something. The risks are too high. We haven't even had the black swan that will trigger the real bottom yet.

Ellery

I am 50% cash 50% stocks/certificates etc. I am a rather small investor so my positions aren't big. Got like 10 different stocks, 2-3 certificates on gold or resources and an SQQQ hedge. No tech or FAANG stocks.
Down a bit, but not that much and compared to some other portfolios it is just a tiny tiny amount of money.

Lots of external factors right now I can't confidently invest right now. Not even in the most sturdy companies like walmart, apple, BMW, Volkswagen, Toyota, etc.
It is hard for me to estimate how it felt in previous times of struggle. I wasn't around in the decades of high inflation.

I am looking at lot at the central banks and what they are doing/saying. Seems like they are moving the markets by far the most.

One thing I fear is that whatever the stock markets are trying to price in hasn't actually reached the actual economy and population in full force yet. And when I see the energy prices in the UK and Europe I just wonder "how are people and companies supposed to survive that?".

Would love to know how it is for you. The additional costs I am facing in the next 12 months are absurd. I am aware of what is happening and is going to happen and I am putting money to the side, but what about the millions and millions of paycheck to paycheck people. It really isn't easy (actually it isn't feasible at all) for large parts of the population to swallow some 3000-4000 GBP USD or EUR extra cost.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

I think I'm down about $6K, if I'm doing the math right: I've invested $9K this year and am only up $3K from January.

I'm in almost entirely iShares. Don't want to expose myself to too much risk, and my retirement won't be for another few decades, so my plan is to just keep paying into the market, trusting the apocalypse doesn't happen and we have no more stock market.

Looking for any advice/perspectives out there: Should I keep pumping money into the market for now? Sounds like people on this thread think we haven't seen the worst of it yet, so given that, maybe I should hold off?

Fredrik

I am 50% cash 50% stocks/certificates etc. I am a rather small investor so my positions aren't big. Got like 10 different stocks, 2-3 certificates on gold or resources and an SQQQ hedge. No tech or FAANG stocks.
Down a bit, but not that much and compared to some other portfolios it is just a tiny tiny amount of money.

Lots of external factors right now I can't confidently invest right now. Not even in the most sturdy companies like walmart, apple, BMW, Volkswagen, Toyota, etc.
It is hard for me to estimate how it felt in previous times of struggle. I wasn't around in the decades of high inflation.

I am looking at lot at the central banks and what they are doing/saying. Seems like they are moving the markets by far the most.

One thing I fear is that whatever the stock markets are trying to price in hasn't actually reached the actual economy and population in full force yet. And when I see the energy prices in the UK and Europe I just wonder "how are people and companies supposed to survive that?".

Would love to know how it is for you. The additional costs I am facing in the next 12 months are absurd. I am aware of what is happening and is going to happen and I am putting money to the side, but what about the millions and millions of paycheck to paycheck people. It really isn't easy (actually it isn't feasible at all) for large parts of the population to swallow some 3000-4000 GBP USD or EUR extra cost.
I’m investing in stocks just to pay for my hobbies so even though it has been an awful year for me so far it doesn’t affect my living. I only have three stocks right now; Nvidia, Embracer, Apple. Nvidia has been awesome earlier years, some mild investments many years ago literally payed for all my hobbies for a long time. But now they’re down badly this year.

As for the rising living costs the short story is that I’ve been dealing with bad things this year so I haven’t checked how the costs will change tbh. I considered swapping to an electric car earlier in the year though, the diesel is expensive in Sweden. And as a rule I use Gamepass and PS+ Premium and Steam sales as much as possible. Idk what else I can do, buy less pizza I guess lol

GHG

Gold Member
Gap down tomorrow? Gap down tomorrow.

Sorry to any NVDA holders here, you're in for a rough ride.

I’m investing in stocks just to pay for my hobbies so even though it has been an awful year for me so far it doesn’t affect my living. I only have three stocks right now; Nvidia, Embracer, Apple. Nvidia has been awesome earlier years, some mild investments many years ago literally payed for all my hobbies for a long time. But now they’re down badly this year.

As for the rising living costs the short story is that I’ve been dealing with bad things this year so I haven’t checked how the costs will change tbh. I considered swapping to an electric car earlier in the year though, the diesel is expensive in Sweden. And as a rule I use Gamepass and PS+ Premium and Steam sales as much as possible. Idk what else I can do, buy less pizza I guess lol

If you're looking at doing this for any form of income (regardless of whether it's for hobbies or not) then buying stock and hoping it goes up is not the way to do it. You need to look in to dividends and/or selling options. Both of which require a lot of background reading and research to get started.

If you want a starting point then let me know and I can recommend some books and resources.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Gap down tomorrow? Gap down tomorrow.

Sorry to any NVDA holders here, you're in for a rough ride.

If you're looking at doing this for any form of income (regardless of whether it's for hobbies or not) then buying stock and hoping it goes up is not the way to do it. You need to look in to dividends and/or selling options. Both of which require a lot of background reading and research to get started.

If you want a starting point then let me know and I can recommend some books and resources.
I’m a noob but I’ve still been quite successful until now on buying stocks and hoping they go up. Nvidia has been awesome over a longer period, roughly went up 100% per year for many years, it all adds up. But 2022 has been absolutely brutal, no dodging that. I’m still up long term but the graph is depressing. 😕
I gladly take advices what to do at this point!

Ellery

I’m a noob but I’ve still been quite successful until now on buying stocks and hoping they go up. Nvidia has been awesome over a longer period, roughly went up 100% per year for many years, it all adds up. But 2022 has been absolutely brutal, no dodging that. I’m still up long term but the graph is depressing. 😕
I gladly take advices what to do at this point!

Think of it as debt and growth and investing and bull and bear markets. Cycles of growth and corrections.

We have had the biggest bull market in history for the last 10-14 years in the american stock market. After March 2020 covid it got even more crazy. The reason for all of that was the nonstop money printing of the central banks which was hyperamplified when covid happened. Trillions (yes trillions, not millions and not billions) were created out of thin air and some of it was directly distributed through stimulus checks to americans.

Simultaneously over long stretches we have had 0% or close to 0% interest rates which meant that everybody could take big credits and invest that money. Many took them and that includes many zombie firms (companies that hope to grow and don't make profit).

And then everything is leveraged to the tits. Just like people play with options. Stay away from options if you are a beginner. The reason Tesla is so overvalued is because yearlong hyperspeculative optiontrading against shorting hedge funds. (Something to look into later maybe, but just be wary that Options are dangerous when you don't know what to do with them)

Now we have reached mid to late 2021 and 2022 and inflation is ramping up. Don't let others tell you that money printing doesn't cause inflation. That is modern monetary theory bullshit. Of course the price of goods goes up when you increase the money supply. However covid, supply chains and the ukraine war didn't make things easier and are definitely playing a rose in the current nastiness of our inflation.

The central banks have to act now, because the population hates inflation. So they start QT (which is Quantitative Tightening raising rates and reducing money supply. The opposite of QE Quantitative Easening which is printing money cutting rates).

So in some way it is like a gigantic loan and now we are reaching the point where we are paying back that loan instead of spending that loan money for fancy things.

The real advice is to know the framework and fundamentals. It is too easy to yolo into fomo otherwise and end your portfolio with -99% option plays on WallStreetBets. Start simple with businesses and stocks and what it means for a stock to be overvalued or undervalued.

Advice as to what to buy is not good. Most of the advice you get when looking for stock to buy is from crooks like Jim Cramer who tells you what his overlords tell him to leave which stocks to buy so are left bagholding for the hedge funds.

I am not saying the stock market is going to explode or crash 50%. I have absolutely no idea. For me the stock market still looks expensive as shit and the outlook for the economy not great. I am not finding many investment opportunities right now and I would prefer to enter again when prices have cooled down, but there is also a chance I am completely off and we start a new bull market and I missed the bottom.

Fredrik

Think of it as debt and growth and investing and bull and bear markets. Cycles of growth and corrections.

We have had the biggest bull market in history for the last 10-14 years in the american stock market. After March 2020 covid it got even more crazy. The reason for all of that was the nonstop money printing of the central banks which was hyperamplified when covid happened. Trillions (yes trillions, not millions and not billions) were created out of thin air and some of it was directly distributed through stimulus checks to americans.

Simultaneously over long stretches we have had 0% or close to 0% interest rates which meant that everybody could take big credits and invest that money. Many took them and that includes many zombie firms (companies that hope to grow and don't make profit).

And then everything is leveraged to the tits. Just like people play with options. Stay away from options if you are a beginner. The reason Tesla is so overvalued is because yearlong hyperspeculative optiontrading against shorting hedge funds. (Something to look into later maybe, but just be wary that Options are dangerous when you don't know what to do with them)

Now we have reached mid to late 2021 and 2022 and inflation is ramping up. Don't let others tell you that money printing doesn't cause inflation. That is modern monetary theory bullshit. Of course the price of goods goes up when you increase the money supply. However covid, supply chains and the ukraine war didn't make things easier and are definitely playing a rose in the current nastiness of our inflation.

The central banks have to act now, because the population hates inflation. So they start QT (which is Quantitative Tightening raising rates and reducing money supply. The opposite of QE Quantitative Easening which is printing money cutting rates).

So in some way it is like a gigantic loan and now we are reaching the point where we are paying back that loan instead of spending that loan money for fancy things.

The real advice is to know the framework and fundamentals. It is too easy to yolo into fomo otherwise and end your portfolio with -99% option plays on WallStreetBets. Start simple with businesses and stocks and what it means for a stock to be overvalued or undervalued.

Advice as to what to buy is not good. Most of the advice you get when looking for stock to buy is from crooks like Jim Cramer who tells you what his overlords tell him to leave which stocks to buy so are left bagholding for the hedge funds.

I am not saying the stock market is going to explode or crash 50%. I have absolutely no idea. For me the stock market still looks expensive as shit and the outlook for the economy not great. I am not finding many investment opportunities right now and I would prefer to enter again when prices have cooled down, but there is also a chance I am completely off and we start a new bull market and I missed the bottom.
To be honest I know so little about economy in a bigger scale so it’s so hard to speculate where things will go. I wish I had no stocks right now, then I could just stay cool and wait it out. But unfortunately I have already invested a bit. So what do I do right now? Lets say that Nvidia drop down 10% today, do I buy more or do I just sit still and see the value drop more on the stocks I already have? Selling now would sting.

Last edited:

Ellery

To be honest I know so little about economy in a bigger scale so it’s so hard to speculate where things will go.

Start with what the Central Banks do, how credit and assets/liabilities work. Look at a businesses what revenue they have, the profit, their balance sheets.

Don't overthink it. The economy is too big to understand in full, but over time you will learn more and more and put pieces together.

At first it seems impossible and thousand of terms to learn that seemingly are the same but have tiny differences. (Don't worry too much they do it on purpose to sound as boring but at the same time confusing on purpose).

Websites like investopedia are a good place to look at things.

I wish I had no stocks right now, then I could just stay cool and wait it out. But unfortunately I have already invested a bit. So what do I do right now? Lets say that Nvidia drop down 10% today, do I buy more or do I just sit still and see the value drop more on the stocks I already have? Selling now would sting.

That is the eternal question we all face. What to do? Buy/sell/hold.

Keep a cool head and remember that when you don't look at the underlying company that you are buying stocks of then you are basically speculating the same way as in a casino. The stock markets will always have ups and down.
The bigger picture is extremely important. Amazon dropped by more than 90% !!! in the 00s after the dotcom bubble. Afterwards it went up by I have no idea how many thousand %

This is not going to happen with Nvidia anytime soon, but you need to know your investment horizons. Usually buying stocks is the longer play and when doing it right you have them sit for many years in your portfolio accumulating those sweet compound growth.

Nobody knows where Nvidia is going tomorrow. Be emotionless and analyze companies you want to invest in. Analyze stocks better than a new washing machine, smartphone or PC hardware before buying.

Fredrik

Start with what the Central Banks do, how credit and assets/liabilities work. Look at a businesses what revenue they have, the profit, their balance sheets.

Don't overthink it. The economy is too big to understand in full, but over time you will learn more and more and put pieces together.

At first it seems impossible and thousand of terms to learn that seemingly are the same but have tiny differences. (Don't worry too much they do it on purpose to sound as boring but at the same time confusing on purpose).

Websites like investopedia are a good place to look at things.

That is the eternal question we all face. What to do? Buy/sell/hold.

Keep a cool head and remember that when you don't look at the underlying company that you are buying stocks of then you are basically speculating the same way as in a casino. The stock markets will always have ups and down.
The bigger picture is extremely important. Amazon dropped by more than 90% !!! in the 00s after the dotcom bubble. Afterwards it went up by I have no idea how many thousand %

This is not going to happen with Nvidia anytime soon, but you need to know your investment horizons. Usually buying stocks is the longer play and when doing it right you have them sit for many years in your portfolio accumulating those sweet compound growth.

Nobody knows where Nvidia is going tomorrow. Be emotionless and analyze companies you want to invest in. Analyze stocks better than a new washing machine, smartphone or PC hardware before buying.
Good advices. A friend always buy when things are falling badly, hoping things will turn up. I always find myself trying to jump on when things are already going up, hoping things will keep on going up.

Anyhow, long term I do believe in Nvidia. Just don’t know if I should buy more now that they’re ”on sale” or stay and just wait out the dip.
Gaaah, just noticed they’re down about 8% now! 😵‍💫

Ellery

Good advices. A friend always buy when things are falling badly, hoping things will turn up. I always find myself trying to jump on when things are already going up, hoping things will keep on going up.

Anyhow, long term I do believe in Nvidia. Just don’t know if I should buy more now that they’re ”on sale” or stay and just wait out the dip.

Well to start with some things to consider when looking at company we could take the P/E ratio (price to earnings ratio).

For many investors this is a decent measurement, but it doesn't mean that you should just look at the PE to base your stock purchases on. Right now Nvidia has a PE of about 45 (at 138$ stock price). Historically speaking the average P/E is around 15 or so. From that perspective you could argue that Nvidia is overvalued quite a bit. That doesn't mean I am telling you to throw away your shares. I have no idea if Nvidia is 100$ next week or 160$.
But the P/E ratio only looks at two numbers at the current time. Any change in the stock price or earnings will change the P/E. So if Nvidia has better earnings the P/E will change too.
The same goes if the earnings are weak. Then the P/E increases.

This is one of the many things where to start to look at, but remember that you need to understand the data you are looking at.

And that is one of the many reasons why quarterly earnings are so important.

You honestly just need experience and your perspective will change significantly. Keep your positions small and only invest what you can. Eventually you will have the confidence to commit to bigger positions.

Fredrik

Well to start with some things to consider when looking at company we could take the P/E ratio (price to earnings ratio).

For many investors this is a decent measurement, but it doesn't mean that you should just look at the PE to base your stock purchases on. Right now Nvidia has a PE of about 45 (at 138$ stock price). Historically speaking the average P/E is around 15 or so. From that perspective you could argue that Nvidia is overvalued quite a bit. That doesn't mean I am telling you to throw away your shares. I have no idea if Nvidia is 100$ next week or 160$.
But the P/E ratio only looks at two numbers at the current time. Any change in the stock price or earnings will change the P/E. So if Nvidia has better earnings the P/E will change too.
The same goes if the earnings are weak. Then the P/E increases.

This is one of the many things where to start to look at, but remember that you need to understand the data you are looking at.

And that is one of the many reasons why quarterly earnings are so important.

You honestly just need experience and your perspective will change significantly. Keep your positions small and only invest what you can. Eventually you will have the confidence to commit to bigger positions.
I think I need to focus on long term investments, I get stressed out looking at these movements. Nvidia is down over 11% now… But if I look at it long term and convince myself it’s just another summer sale it’s easier to handle all the red 🤕

Raven117

Depending on your goals....if you are in it for the long term....its more about staying consistent than timing the market.

(Ie, doesn't matter what happens...I'm investing 2K a month into SPX... Not financial advice).

Fredrik

Depending on your goals....if you are in it for the long term....its more about staying consistent than timing the market.

(Ie, doesn't matter what happens...I'm investing 2K a month into SPX... Not financial advice).
Yeah I’ll try to think long term for awhile but I couldn’t stay away today, bought some more Nvidia. Important message: Don’t trust anything I say regarding the 4000-serie cards going forward! 😅

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Other way: just buy S&P Index Fund which limits your investing to one question: will American economy grow on average over the years. If the answer you think is yes, you will get money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Jesus Christ! CFO of bed bath and beyond took a header off his 18th floor.
Shit. Thought you were joking.

The big-box chain - once considered a so-called "category killer" in home and bath goods - has seen its fortunes falter after an attempt to sell more of its own brand, or private-label goods.

On a side note in the article is this. To me very important. Store brands are higher margin products and they use that as leverage against the big branded players. But unless a store can pull it off where consumers see it as a good alternative cheap priced private label that is good quality and value too (Kirkland, PC etc...), it's a potential disaster. That's why Walmart doesn't go ape shit on it's own Great Value like other grocers. The quality and image is shit.

I remember reading articles during this whole BBB demise and their store brands were considered crap and poorly executed.

Stores should never get too greedy doing too much store brand stuff or it resembles a bargain bin store.

Shit. Thought you were joking.

[/URL]

On a side note in the article is this. To me very important. Store brands are higher margin products and they use that as leverage against the big branded players. But unless a store can pull it off where consumers see it as a good alternative cheap priced private label that is good quality and value too (Kirkland, PC etc...), it's a potential disaster. That's why Walmart doesn't go ape shit on it's own Great Value like other grocers. The quality and image is shit.

I remember reading articles during this whole BBB demise and their store brands were considered crap and poorly executed.

Stores should never get too greedy doing too much store brand stuff or it resembles a bargain bin store.
I don't joke about stuff like that.

It's shocking because what makes a person do this? He had a lot of money still. Pressure, plus tunnel vision I guess.

Rip.

dem

Stock gang... hows everyone hanging in there?

My AMZN stops triggered in June... right before it went on a run
GIF by NETFLIX

I've cashed I cashed out of most everything in June.

Keep your heads up.
Smart people of stock age... let me know when its time to buy!

Favor Help GIF

Fools idol

Banned
Big news. Were in deep trouble.

Got wind over the weekend that a big hedge fund is about to go bang. Called a friend at Blackrock to see if he had heard anything - nothing, but, he pointed something out to me which I am shocked by... but also, not shocked at all.

Take a look at this;

Credit Suisse CDS spreads. 🤯 Now I say shocked because, I looked and the cost of insurance for their bonds against default climbed about 15% last week to levels not seen since 2009. $CS shares touched a new record low AGAIN last week.

The BOE bailout of the UK pension funds is small fry compared to the disaster this will bring. We are in 2008 all over again, these fucking idiots.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

Westinghouse to be sold for $7.9bn in sign of nuclear power revival​

War in Ukraine has sparked fresh interest in industry that fell out of favour​

Westinghouse Electric, a US nuclear power company, is being bought by a private equity-backed consortium in a $7.9bn deal four years after it emerged from bankruptcy, as the war in Ukraine spurs fresh interest in an industry that had fallen out of investor favour.

Brookfield Renewable Partners, one of the world’s largest clean energy investors, and Cameco, a supplier of uranium fuel, are buying the company in a bet that climate and energy security concerns will revive the nuclear sector’s fortunes.

They will purchase the group, which makes technology used in about half the world’s roughly 440 nuclear reactors, from a separate division of Brookfield Asset Management that runs its private equity investments.

“We’re witnessing some of the best market fundamentals we’ve ever seen in the nuclear energy sector,” said Tim Gitzel, chief executive of Cameco, which is based in Saskatchewan, Canada. “[Nuclear] energy is becoming increasingly important in a world that prioritises electrification, decarbonisation and energy security.”

Cameco also announced a $650mn stock sale to finance the deal. Its New York-listed shares fell by more than 13 per cent in after-hours trading.

Western policymakers had until recently shunned the development of new large-scale nuclear plants because of safety concerns and a series of massive cost and schedule overruns. But the urgency to address climate change has pushed nuclear power back into focus, given that it can provide carbon-free power, 24 hours a day regardless of the weather.

The International Energy Agency has said nuclear generation needs to double by 2050 to hit net zero targets.

Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine has shifted it further into the spotlight, as countries hurry to find reliable replacements for Russian oil and gas.

Brookfield Renewable Partners will purchase 51 per cent of Westinghouse for $2.3bn while Cameco will purchase 49 per cent of the company for $2.2bn. When including $3.4bn in existing debt, which is being kept on Westinghouse’s balance sheet, the buyers are paying an enterprise value of $7.9bn.

After the sale is complete, a chunk of the company will be owned by Brookfield Transition Fund, led by former Bank of England governor Mark Carney. “Every credible net zero pathway relies on significant growth in nuclear power,” Carney said.

The sale of Westinghouse represents a large windfall for Brookfield’s private equity business. It invested $1bn in equity to acquire Westinghouse after Toshiba, its former owner, put it into bankruptcy in 2017 amid large cost overruns at projects in Georgia and South Carolina. It will receive roughly $5.5bn through the sale and dividends.

A push to decouple Europe from reliance on Russian gas imports for power generation has shifted attitudes to the power source. There has been a fierce debate over nuclear phaseout in Germany this year and France has vowed to build 14 new reactors by 2050.

In the short term, Westinghouse could benefit from a push to replace suppliers to the more than 30 western reactors that operate on Russian technology. The company has sought expedited approval to provide replacement fuel for plants in countries including the Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Finland.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nuclear is awesome.

Reliable energy and cheap too. I find it hilarious places like California who is supposed to be high tech central does blackouts sometimes to save energy.

My utility bills the past two years havent budged. I get the monthly emails saying how much gas and electricity is and the amounts are basically the same cost +/- $5 every month.

The only risk is that 0.01% chance everyone in a 10 mile radius gets Chernobylized. Fair point, but I'll take that risk for an efficient energy source I don't even think about. All that shit about UK energy prices possibly going to $1000 per month or whatever it might be is totally absurd.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I think in september california decided to try to extend the life of their only nuclear plant set to be shut down in 2025 and germany decided not to shutdown 2 of 3 that were due to this year but only until april next year. japan is taking another look into nuclear energy again too to restart their reactors and the price of uranium is up as well

Uranium rallies as energy crisis puts nuclear power in focus​

Fuel source still vulnerable to Russian supply risk and safety concerns​

September 13 2022

Uranium prices have surged to their highest level since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sent convulsions through commodities markets, as the European energy crisis fuels bullish bets on the future of nuclear power.

The material known as “yellowcake” has jumped 7 per cent since mid-August to breach $50 a pound, a price last seen when many commodities were propelled higher by supply fears in the spring. Many market participants expect uranium to rise even further, with Bank of America predicting it will hit $70 a pound next year.

Looking past the sharp spike triggered by the war in Ukraine, uranium last traded at such levels a decade ago, according to UxC, a nuclear fuel market research and analysis firm.

Uranium has been lifted in recent weeks by positive news about nuclear power, as utility companies move to shore up supplies against the backdrop of a worsening energy crunch in Europe and improving sentiment towards the divisive fuel in other regions.

Late last month, Japan signalled its plans to accelerate the restart of reactors and explore the construction of new plants for the first time since the Fukushima nuclear disaster in 2011. California decided in early September to extend the life of its last operating nuclear plant and days later Germany put its plants on standby to keep running if needed beyond the end of this year.

“Germany and California have been two of the most negative jurisdictions in the world on nuclear and both of them are coming around. I would say hell would freeze over before that would happen,” said Per Jander, director of nuclear and renewables at WMC Energy, a commodity merchant. “It will have an immediate impact on the market.”

Uranium was on a tear last year, rising more than 30 per cent as investors wagered on nuclear energy becoming a central feature of the shift away from fossil fuels and the electrification of the global economy. Nuclear energy generates consistent baseload power without producing carbon emissions, leading the EU to classify it as “green” earlier this year.

That rapid price surge in 2021 marked a significant turnround after the uranium mining industry was plagued by oversupply post-Fukushima.

Industry executives have also pointed to other factors bolstering the long-term prospects of nuclear, which will take longer to feed through into uranium prices.

The US Inflation Reduction Act included tax credits for existing reactors, which are likely to lead to extensions to the lifetime of the country’s fleet. In South Korea, nuclear energy policy underwent a U-turn under the new Yoon Suk-yeol administration, which took power in May and wants to expand the industry instead of phasing it out.

Publicly listed uranium mining companies have also ridden the wave of investor optimism. Shares in Canada’s Cameco, the world’s second-largest uranium producer, are close to a record high after rising almost 30 per cent since the middle of August.

“We’re on pace to have the biggest contracting year since Fukushima,” said Grant Isaac, senior vice-president of Cameco. “We’re seeing this balanced energy policy translating into legislative action. It’s no longer just words.”

But even as the uranium price surges on improving sentiment, the commodity remains vulnerable to a squeeze on supplies from Russia, which is the largest builder of new nuclear plants globally. The country only accounts for 5 per cent of global uranium production, but is responsible for more than two-fifths of active worldwide enrichment capacity, according to research house Berenberg. To create effective nuclear fuel, mined uranium must be converted and then enriched.

“The removal of Russia from the global nuclear fuel chain has the potential to be a source of disruption and price volatility,” Berenberg analysts wrote in a report.

In August, the world’s biggest uranium miner Kazatomprom raised its 2024 output target on expectations of greater demand for nuclear fuel as utilities seek to diversify energy supplies away from Moscow.

Askar Batyrbayev, chief commercial officer at the Kazakhstan-based company, said a decision by western powers to sanction Russian nuclear fuel would trigger great upheaval in the uranium market.

“If we need to replace the entire Russian supply, then it might require an additional 10,000 tonnes to be supplied. This is half of our annual production in Kazakhstan,” he said. “It’s quite a challenge, but it could be achievable if we have these requests in advance.”

Nuclear industry executives also fear that the ballooning momentum behind atomic energy could be punctured once again if its safety credentials are called into question. Ukraine houses 15 reactors.

“Should there be a nuclear accident, then all of this will be wiped out,” said Patrick Fragman, chief executive of Westinghouse, a US nuclear power company, speaking at the World Nuclear Symposium in London. “Public opinions will go back to the dark ages and be an open avenue for coal.”

interesting I think how france has over 56 plants one more than china whereas germany has only 6 huge disparity the cheap russian gas set their nuclear industry back I guess

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
interesting I think how france has over 56 plants one more than china whereas germany has only 6 huge disparity the cheap russian gas set their nuclear industry back I guess
Yes, Germany had incredibly stupid and short-sighted energy policy. We can thank Oma Merkel for that.

Fortunately this new situation means nuclear will continue to expand, which is great news since we will not manage pollution targets without it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never knew till googling it Canada was so big into nuclear even when compared to other countries. It's one of those things that takes a lot of time and money to get going. Articles say they first started around 1960, and there were many more made in the 70s and 80s. Then the country seemed to coast on these sites the past 30 years.

As for Maestro above saying California only has 1 nuclear plant is crazy. Whether it's politics, perhaps lots of cheap alternative energy sources, or they simply didn't want to spend the billions needed to build them I dont know. But if there's any place in the world you'd think would be amped up on tech and reliable affordable energy it would be California.

Who knows. Maybe too many people there think nuclear plants will go kaboom in real life if an employee knocks over a barrel of sludge like Homer Simpson.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Yes, Germany had incredibly stupid and short-sighted energy policy. We can thank Oma Merkel for that.

Fortunately this new situation means nuclear will continue to expand, which is great news since we will not manage pollution targets without it.

It wasn't just Merkel, they were all completely smug with allowing a 15 yr old girl Greta to dictate their energy policy. look at the date on this tweet.

Never knew till googling it Canada was so big into nuclear even when compared to other countries. It's one of those things that takes a lot of time and money to get going. Articles say they first started around 1960, and there were many more made in the 70s and 80s. Then the country seemed to coast on these sites the past 30 years.

As for Maestro above saying California only has 1 nuclear plant is crazy. Whether it's politics, perhaps lots of cheap alternative energy sources, or they simply didn't want to spend the billions needed to build them I dont know. But if there's any place in the world you'd think would be amped up on tech and reliable affordable energy it would be California.

Who knows. Maybe too many people there think nuclear plants will go kaboom in real life if an employee knocks over a barrel of sludge like Homer Simpson.

I feel like it has to do with political narcissism, these plants take forever to build so those in power now do not want to green light something that they themselves won't be able to take credit for. In five years when they've already moved upward to a different position. Which is crazy since California is so blue you'd think they'd want to deliver political wins for their successors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom