• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

mango drank

What cost basis method (aka tax lot ID method) do you guys usually use when selling? FIFO, average, etc? Or do you manually pick the lots you're selling if your broker gives you that option?

HoodWinked

What cost basis method (aka tax lot ID method) do you guys usually use when selling? FIFO, average, etc? Or do you manually pick the lots you're selling if your broker gives you that option?

i just do FIFO because its the default. the only benefit i can think of is if you bought a stock like AMD and intended to go long for a year so that it would fall under long term capital gains (thus be taxed at long term capital gains rates). But as you were holding you decided to buy more AMD stock and only wanted to hold those new shares for a short time, then you could sell that lot instead of doing FIFO.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Most brokers use FIFO but personally Specific ID reduces your liability alot.

FIFO is easier for the average investor since its the default and calculation is fairly simple

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
  • Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NYSE:NCLH): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of -$2.33 misses by $0.17; GAAP EPS of -$2.51 misses by $0.36.
  • Revenue of $9.58M (-99.4% Y/Y) beats by $6.23M.

ManofOne

Plus Member
  • Domino's Pizza (NYSE:DPZ): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of $3.46 misses by $0.44; GAAP EPS of $3.85 misses by $0.06.
  • Revenue of $1.36B (+18.3% Y/Y) misses by $20M.
  • Comparable same store sales domestic +11.2% vs. consensus of +13.1% and in international +7.3% vs. consensus of +5%.

• Papa John's (NASDAQ:pZZA): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of $0.40 misses by $0.08; GAAP EPS of $0.28 misses by $0.16.
  • Revenue of $469.81M (+12.5% Y/Y) beats by $0.94M.

• Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA): Q4 GAAP EPS of -$0.69 misses by $0.28.
  • Revenue of $570.7M (+3959.0% Y/Y) beats by $291.29M.

• Best Buy (NYSE:BBY): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of $3.48 beats by $0.03; GAAP EPS of $3.10 misses by $0.39.
  • Revenue of $16.9B (+11.2% Y/Y) misses by $310M.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Thanks, will check them out.

Do you know any decent US rare earth plays? I've got TMRC on my list but I'm sceptical.

I'm playing copper and some gold but that's pretty much it. Its mostly equities in financials and energy.

CPER, FCX, TECK

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
I'm playing copper and some gold but that's pretty much it. Its mostly equities in financials and energy.

CPER, FCX, TECK

Thanks, actually bought in to FCX yesterday. It was between that and TECK so will just let that sit for a while and see how it does while keeping an eye on TECK.

Myths

here we go again, round 2. i was in on NOK but got rid of it, i’m still not getting into the ring this time again. i will be watching be however.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Why Bank Stocks are Rising.

Bank and financial stocks are rising because of the change in the underlying rates i.e yield curve rates. As treasury rates increase this affects the topline performance of banks.

Take a look at the topline layout of a bank's income statement for example.

SkVHAGi.jpg

Interest Income - As rates increase, loans become more expensive. Rates are rising due to inflation expectations and economic outlook (i.e stimulus). Investments securities will also perform better as trading activity improves.

Interest Expense - Deposits generally don't move much in periods with high liquidity. If a bank takes your deposit that is a liability to them so they try to dissuade that in cases of excess liquidity. In Europe for example they have negative saving rates. So since the spread between Interest Income and Interest expense grows, the bank top line grows. Debt on bonds related to the bank also effects interest expense.

Non Interest Income - this includes credit card fees, transaction costs, services for underwriting, non interest bearing loans, etc. These fees are also expected to go up to for service sector businesses for the course of the year.

This why financial stocks are doing well.

However, there are other things that can influence it too go the opposite end as you go lower down the income statement, operational costs, provisional expenses, etc. Also a reversal in rates can hurt them further especially negative rates.

Last edited:
I'm up 53% on my FSR and was thinking of closing my position at $25 anyway, it's hovering around $23.50 right now so I wrote covered calls, so if they get called away I made my 53%+ the premium from the contracts.

If they're not called away, still more than happy to just hold the shares and keep writing covered calls. Might as well make additional income on my shares.

Dynasty8

0qOBqCN.jpg

Appl is looking to establish a floor around 125. Lets see if that holds up

Bought a few shares around $137...worth getting more at the current price? It's currently floating around $124, not sure of everything is going to keep going down.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Bought a few shares around $137...worth getting more at the current price? It's currently floating around $124, not sure of everything is going to keep going down.

It was estimated to float between 125-110 as the floor. But it won't keep going down.

It just a rotation away from tech but today is just the effects of stonks.

SpartanN92

Banned
Alright I picked up some 🍎

iPhone 13 better kick ass and take names.

I think the company’s near term/Mid term future is more dependent upon their own silicon inside MacBooks instead of buying from intel... Long term is that car baby

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
tech, growth and thematic continue crash and burn

nvda post earnings crash :messenger_loudly_crying:

yet my all world index fund see a less than 2% dip...

ManofOne

Plus Member

As 10-year Treasury yield nears 1.5%, watch out for an 'equities riot'​

• Long-term rates are rising sharply again, with the 10-year Treasury yield approaching 1.5% for the first time in more than a year.
  • The 10-year yield is up 8 basis points to 1.47%, having hit an earlier high of more than 1.49%.
  • The 30-year is rising 5 basis points to 2.29%.
  • The spread between the 10-year and 2-year is at 1.34 and has doubled in four months to the widest gap since 2016.
  • The bond selloff is weighing on equities as valuations come under the microscope with yields rising, and there's concern the TINA trade is evaporating.
  • Albert Edwards, global strategist at Societe Generale, had said that a move to 1.5% in the 10-year would prove too bearish for stocks. But in a note today, he says equities are currently just "squishy."
  • Right now, "the long bond bull market remains intact, even if 10y yields rise to 2% - or a bit beyond," Edwards writes. "But with bubbles everywhere waiting to burst, a Japanese-style equity riot may be close."
  • "To be sure, if bond yields continue to rise and there is a smooth rotation out of growth and defensive stocks into value and cyclical stocks, the Fed will remain sanguine," he adds. "But the risk is growing that with so many bubbles blown by the Fed something will burst soon. And despite the widespread certainty that the Fed can micro-manage the equity market, and levitate it at will, the real shocker would be if the Fed lost control in any impending equity riot."
  • A Rubicon was crossed in monetary early in the pandemic and now the "revolutionaries" have "hoisted there own MMT policy ensign" and captured the levers of policy, Edwards writes.

GHG

Gold Member
Palantir is a bargain at 25 everyone said... The floor is at 24 everyone said... Just go a thousand in the red everyone said...

Modern day investing is hard. Can we go back to the days when you actually had to read the paper and pick up the phone please. I keep getting trapped in these shitty Fomo stocks.

Last edited:
Palantir is a bargain at 25 everyone said... The floor is at 24 everyone said... Just go a thousand in the red everyone said...

Modern day investing is hard. Can we go back to the days when you actually had to read the paper and pick up the phone please.

Double down I promise you'll only lose half of your money

longdi

Banned
It's fucking everything

Tbf its more Elon btc, ark funds and clean energy that were driving up the sentiments.

Rightfully they got a nice correction now.

Of course that 10 year yield thing, some dark hands are pushing it up.

Top Bottom