• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg’s Halo show is still alive

Link.

Many years ago, Microsoft announced the Halo Television Series which would be produced by Steven Spielberg and Showtime. However, due to the backlash surrounding the Xbox One and its supposed film-over-games agenda, the project wasn’t really discussed since then. Many thought that it had been cancelled but that’s not the case. Speaking with AR12Gaming, a spokesperson for Microsoft said:

“Progress on the Halo Television Series continues. We want to ensure we’re doing this the right way together with a team of creative partners (Steven Spielberg and Showtime) that can help us build the best Halo series that fans expect and deserve. We have no further details to share at this time.”

This is great news for those who wanted to see the collaboration happen. Halo is vast universe rife with possibilities and it’s understandable why 343 Industries and their partners want to take their time. Video games have a habit of turning out to be quite terrible films and shows so they don’t want the same to happen with the Halo franchise. Hopefully we’ll hear more about this project soon because it’s already been many years since it’s been in development. At least the good news is that they’re still working on it and it hasn’t been cancelled. I know many people will be ecstatic to hear this!

Lock if old.

Ivan 3414

lol @ people poo-pooing this because of Halo's relevancy but were quick to jump on the Castlevania anime train.

Someone point to the last Castlevania game that sold as much as Halo 5?

lol @ people poo-pooing this because of Halo's relevancy but were quick to jump on the Castlevania anime train.

Someone point to the last Castlevania game that sold as much as Halo 5?

lol @ the castlevania animation being in production when it was announced as opposed to some sad suit meekly calling Spielberg every 4 years to remind him about the video game show thing.

Fuchsdh

This general PR speak - wasn't the same said about Peter Jacksons Halo project for YEARS until people just stopped asking?

PJ's Halo project is weird in that it was basically cancelled in all but name not too long after the Halo movie 100% fell through with no chance of recovery, but it only ever officially got canned years later.

There's no value to them saying "it's still a thing" if they've given up on it. But it's hard to imagine what's holding things up.

PJ's Halo project is weird in that it was basically cancelled in all but name not too long after the Halo movie 100% fell through with no chance of recovery, but it only ever officially got canned years later.

There's no value to them saying "it's still a thing" if they've given up on it. But it's hard to imagine what's holding things up.

I suppose, I just think this project is limbo, stuck in development hell - not cancelled, not currently being pursued either.

Hope to be proven wrong, but I'm not too optimistic - none of the major trades have reported ANY movement on this project.

Ogodei

If they couldn't get a Peter Jackson movie off the ground back in the early years of the 360, this has less of a chance (mostly as a movie would fit the budget for something like Halo better, setting aside the question of Halo's relative popularity which is less of an impediment).

jelly

Spielberg having his name on it means nothing to me. He slapped his name on some right crap TV shows.

I need to know more on who the creative team actually is.

Nice. Looking forward to to seeing what they do with this. I wouldn't mind a Neil Blomkamp directed Halo movie either, loved District 9 a lot.

I bet they're waiting for 343i to resolve their current story arc because it's really not a great place to jump in.

If it gets made, we're probably looking at a 2019-2020 release window.

seh6p.gif

xam3l

Just take the first 3 games and make a trilogy. And keep the fucking soundtrack.

I would invest in that production if I were rich.

Top Bottom