• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamdeck sold 1.6 million in 2022, sell another 2 million in 2023, report

Sleepwalker

Honest question for PC gamers who also own a SD, if all I really want this thing for is a 1080p/60fps machine will this do the job for at least the next 3 years with new releases? I have a Series X hooked up to my 4k tv for the big games, but want this for the games that don't hit the Xbox, and all the other reasons you want to be on PC for older titles. Portability is cool, but I expect it to spend most of the time docked to a 1080p monitor with m/kb.

Is this a good deal for someone that isn't super hard to please graphics-wise?

Lol no, the deck's resolution is 1280x800 or 720p, so the hardware is designed to run games at those resolutions. You won't hit 60fps at 1080p on any kind of modern game, you can get a decent 1080p gaming PC for around 600-700 most likely.

Crayon

Probably because that doesn’t seem any better than the original PSVR?

That was a very good selling headset. You'd hope for more on the second one but it seems on-track with what we know. The weird direct-order strategy muddies the waters tho.

Ok then, do you think that will hold true for another 3 years then?
It really depends on what you can stomach and how much you're willing to tinker with settings. It also depends on how much devs will be pushing hardware with their new games and how well they optimize/make it scalable. If they're still supporting 7th gen hardware or the Switch, chances are the deck can chug along pretty well. For instance, RE Village recently got Denuvo removed and is now magically running on the Deck at solid 60fps.

Tams

Honest question for PC gamers who also own a SD, if all I really want this thing for is a 1080p/60fps machine will this do the job for at least the next 3 years with new releases? I have a Series X hooked up to my 4k tv for the big games, but want this for the games that don't hit the Xbox, and all the other reasons you want to be on PC for older titles. Portability is cool, but I expect it to spend most of the time docked to a 1080p monitor with m/kb.

No. Well, you'd get by at 720p at low settings and 30fps.

720p30 (60 for lighter games) is what it is aimed at, and not for the latest releases.

If you want a 'future-proof' 1080p machine, then one of the latest AYAs or GPDs would be better.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And this here is a prime example of why there may never be a 'year of Linux on the desktop'.
"this distro is perfect except for this one minor program that they use that doesnt work very well"

"and this is why linux will never be mainstream"

Last edited:

Tams

"this distro is perfect except for this one minor program that they use that doesnt work very well"

"and this is why linux will never be mainstream"
Way to miss the point.

Which is also part of the point: many Linux advocates are just incapable of seeing why people are put off by it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Still hoping a powerful steam deck 2 comes out at some point. Maybe possition the steamdeck 1 as a sub $500 machine and give us a decently powered machine at $1k. Ideally with an oled screen. Eager to see what the rest of the year brings.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Way to miss the point.

Which is also part of the point: many Linux advocates are just incapable of seeing why people are put off by it.
ok in all sincerity what is the point?

It's ONE application that's not working properly, in a largely functional, fast and user friendly operating system that's genuinely suitable for the majority of casuals who use a computer.

if 99% of Nobara OS was good and the 1% was that dysfunctional yum-extender i think it's safe to say that this OS is pretty damned functional. Especially considering that MacOS and Windows aren't bug free either

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Steam Deck - 0 marketing budget. Sold only directly to consumer through Steam. Had to sit on a waitlist for months to get one most of last year. No games funded by Valve or developed for it. Estimated sales 2M+. This is considered a flop.

PSVR2 - Had a marketing budget. Funded third party exclusives. An exclusive launch game from one of Sonys flagship franchises. Availability was never a problem. Estimated sales through a few months 270k. This is considered a success.

shaquille-o-neal-shaq.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Steam Deck - 0 marketing budget. Sold only directly to consumer through Steam. Had to sit on a waitlist for months to get one most of last year. No games funded by Valve or developed for it. Estimated sales 2M+. This is considered a flop.

PSVR2 - Had a marketing budget. Funded third party exclusives. An exclusive launch game from one of Sonys flagship franchises. Availability was never a problem. Estimated sales through a few months 270k. This is considered a success.

shaquille-o-neal-shaq.gif

Do you even know when PSVR2 released? A few months? WTH. Plus it too is being sold directly to consumers and it barely has a marketing budget also. Some of yall are weirdos.

Ozriel

M$FT

Just buy a laptop with a midrange GPU if you want to use it docked most of the time.

You’d have to cull settings to run new AAA games at 1080p 60fps.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Do you even know when PSVR2 released? A few months? WTH. Plus it too is being sold directly to consumers and it barely has a marketing budget also. Some of yall are weirdos.

yea, about 2 months ago. expectations were clearly different for both devices. valve seems happy and there's already rumors of price drops for PSVR2, 2 months in. idk why they're even being compared here, they are such different devices.

the media is certainly treating them differently

mckmas8808

yea, about 2 months ago. expectations were clearly different for both devices. valve seems happy and there's already rumors of price drops for PSVR2, 2 months in. idk why they're even being compared here, they are such different devices.

That's my point. Valve "seems" happy with the sales. You seem to forget that Sony "seem" happy with the sales of PSVR2 also so far. Those rumored sales stats for PSVR2 could only be for 1 month worth of sales. There would be no way of knowing if something like it is a flop so far.

So to me, the question is "why are so many in the media wanting PSVR2 to fail"? Whereas the SteamDeck can't ever be a failure in their eyes. What's the agenda at play?

For instance look at this quote.
PlayStation VR 2, which is part of Sony president and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida's goal to create a metaverse for the company, hasn't generated much excitement since its arrival

WTH are they talking about? What metaverse? Me, you, and others are on GAF every week. We know the video game market. What State of Play or E3 showcase has Sony ever said they are building a Playstation metaverse?

Last edited:
Is that good or bad?when we a steam deck home console to challenge the series s. Then we talking, no interest in a giant handheld, reminds me of the game gear 😂

Chukhopops

WTH are they talking about? What metaverse? Me, you, and others are on GAF every week. We know the video game market. What State of Play or E3 showcase has Sony ever said they are building a Playstation metaverse?

CEO Interview : Creating Sony's Metaverse with Creators​

Not a SoP but their CEO literally said that, and even mentions the connection with VR:
Furthermore, in the area of VR/AR, which is the interface between people and the metaverse, we can leverage the expertise Sony has cultivated in many key technologies such as displays including micro OLED, sensing such as eye tracking, and 3D audio.

Mr.Phoenix

What's funny is that PSVR2 could go on to sell 2M units in two years and be considered a flop. But yet the steam deck is or has changed PC gaming?

We can't really say anything about the PSVR until we get March numbers. We don't know if it sold more in March over February.

The reason why people are saying Steamdeck is a success is because it's Valves most successful hardware attempt out of 3 tries, with a waitlist, no wide distribution at retailers, and zero marketing. No one was expecting it to sell 2m everyone though it was going to sell to a small group of PC enthusiasts. That is why so many are championing the Steam Deck.

mckmas8808

Not a SoP but their CEO literally said that, and even mentions the connection with VR:

Thanks for finding that quote. I find it interesting that no one at Playstation seems to think the Metaverse is worth talking about. This CEO is clearing just saying things to get the stock price up. I mean that quote is on Sony.com's blog for goodness sake lol.

Both the steamdeck and PSVR2 are incredible pieces of tech and not competitors, I don't understand why are they been put against each other lol

They aren't being put against each other. Just how the media has responded to the release of both systems. One of them is a media darling, whereas the other some in the media has a strong contempt for.

JCK75

What's funny is that PSVR2 could go on to sell 2M units in two years and be considered a flop. But yet the steam deck is or has changed PC gaming?

It has changed PC gaming..
It's driving proton updates and linux compatibility like never before.. a free operating system available for every vendor to make their own similar device giving us so many options.
Microsoft is now adding a handheld gaming mode to windows 11 just for these devices.

it's driving change in so many ways, and it doesn't have to do PS5 numbers.. because it's just another way to play not a whole new ecosystem.

Top Bottom