• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam now officially supports Switch retro controllers

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The official NES, SNES, Nintendo 64 and Mega Drive / Genesis controllers, which remain on sale only to Switch Online subscribers, can now be used to play games on Steam.

The patch notes for the July 27 build of the Steam Client simply say: “Added support for Nintendo Online classic controllers.”

However, a Valve spokesperson confirmed to The Verge that this specifically referred to the NES, SNES, N64 and Mega Drive controllers.

Topher

Gold Member
steamlove.gif

Calverz

Love the Switch N64 controller. So good. 👍
I opened it and was overcome with nostalgia. It felt so weird to pick up what is essentially a brand new n64 controller with a brand new stick.

I’m dont usually bother with bespoke controllers with emulators but the n64 trident is just so unique that it enhances n64 emulation experience imo. I connected it to my steam deck and played some games in docked mode.

Highly reccomend if anyone is ever on the fence.

Last edited:
I opened it and was overcome with nostalgia. It felt so weird to pick up what is essentially a brand new n64 controller with a brand new stick.

I’m dont usually bother with bespoke controllers with emulators but the n64 trident is just so unique that it enhances n64 emulation experience imo. I connected it to my steam deck and played some games in docked mode.

Highly reccomend if anyone is ever on the fence.
I absolutely agree, using an authentic Nintendo 64 controller greatly enhances the experience as most of that software was built for that controller specifically and it is not a typical design.

And I agree it's very nice very close to the real thing I mean basically identical I still have a lot of 64 controllers that are in very good shape but I could just tell how they made this stick it's authentic yet it's going to last much better than the original models, I love it. I also highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Here we go starcraft 64 🤣
Steamdeck doing what nintendon’t

Not bringing the games that fucking matter to NSO and removing the way to buy em

Last edited:

Simms

Neo Member
LTTP: but just got the n64 controller and it’s amazing for emulation. Really easy to get up and running too

Just got an N64 & Gamecube controller. What emulator do you use for the N64 controller? Do you just use the Steam input overlay to configure the controller or do you configure within the emulator? I use Project 64 and configured the controller within the emulator. Not sure how it works via Steam

Calverz

Just got an N64 & Gamecube controller. What emulator do you use for the N64 controller? Do you just use the Steam input overlay to configure the controller or do you configure within the emulator? I use Project 64 and configured the controller within the emulator. Not sure how it works via Steam
So I use it on steam deck docked. Its retroarch with mupen64 core I believe. I mapped the buttons on retroarch.

Top Bottom