• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Next Fest 16-22 June - demo blowout

Bartski

Gold Member
zcwHjcP.jpg

Downloading now:

Song of Iron
Song of Iron

Death Trash
Death Trash

GRIME
GRIME

Dread Templar
Dread Templar

Omno
Omno

White Shadows
White Shadows

Pre-Purchase NARAKA: BLADEPOINT
Pre-Purchase NARAKA: BLADEPOINT

Recommend your picks if you find something cool!

Bartski

Gold Member
Song of Iron, unfortunately, plays like a semi-broken alpha.

Looks really good in trailers if you're into this sort of thing but in practice - it's a project that, at this stage, would have to get handed over somewhere to an actual team for full production.
If Microsoft is willing to put it on game pass it's either 2 years away or there really is not much point as a "mid 2021" release.

Proper respect to the single dev behind it tho for a dope ambitious idea, but sometimes that is not enough without production values to match.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Saw a demo for Ys IX, gonna download that and see how well it runs on my badly aging PC.

CitizenZ

Banned
on the upside, Death Trash is AWESOME, definitely getting the whole game. 5th August!

Yea, cant wait for DT, just found this the other day called Mechajammer. Wish both would release now. Just when i think im over pixel art they pull back in.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
These days if it's not a roguelike, I ain't interested. When it comes to indies anyway.

Grabbed these so far!
  • TriFox
  • Naraka: Bladepoint
  • Ember Knights
  • They Always Run
  • Dread Templar
  • Death Trash
  • Roguelords
I'm burnt out on the genre. I couldn't even get into Hades. :(

GymWolf

Yes, i love when they put all these demos on steam.

Nice selection op, we have similar tastes.

Last edited:

Holammer

Tried a couple of games, found two good ones with Rune Factory for furries, aka Kitaria Fables which looks pretty promising and Hyper Echelon a grindy shmup on the easy side.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Yeah I bought Roboquest and Gunfire Reborn those are cool. Roboquest has good mechanics fps wise, but lacks items and crazy modifiers, a permanent tree maybe
I did buy in on early access Rogue Legacy 2 but haven't touched much of it. I am waiting to closer to release to put in real effort. It's promising though.

Are any games going to be shown that aren't pixelated indie trash? That E3 PC Gaming Show was hella pathetic and I'm guessing STEAM ain't gonna do much better

MMaRsu

Banned
I did buy in on early access Rogue Legacy 2 but haven't touched much of it. I am waiting to closer to release to put in real effort. It's promising though.
Yeah im kinda looking forward to that as well. I have binding of isaac with all the dlc but im pretty bad at it lmao since the shooting controls are so prohibited

Merkades

I wonder if the Ys IX demo is as lacking as the PS version (almost certainly). Not that the gameplay is bad, but limiting your demo to 10 minutes absolutely sucks.

Thinking about trying this 3d metriodvania

Of note to some, the first game of this series is a roguevania.

Holammer

Tried a couple of more, others already mentioned Death Trash. I mean, it goes in the wishlist, but I feel like it could have used little better graphics, something like Fallout 1-2 era games had.
Super Woden GP is not a real recommendation as the demo is very anemic. However, the developer is clearly inspired by arcade games I loved like Neo Drift Out and 1000 Miglia. Again... Better graphics, tighter controls and more sense of speed and it could be a winner.

tylrdiablos

If you liked GoldenEye and Perfect Dark... The Agent 64 : Spies Never Die alpha demo is well worth a try.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
If you are a fan of Zachtronics check out the demo for Alans Auotmaton Workshop. So far best demo I have played,. feels like it could release tomorrow very polished.

I just finished Tormented Souls holy crap thats another great demo. If you like RE and Silent Hills its pretty solid.

Last edited:

Holammer

Last stretch of the event. Got two more recommendations. I waded through a lot of trash to find these nuggets.

The sequel to My Time at Portia, an rpg with crafting focus that's starting Early Access soon. I'm legit intrigued by the setting and environments.
The legend of Tianding is another instant wishlist item. Based on a real life Taiwanese Robin Hood'esque character fighting the Japanese occupation. I've seen this period depicted countless times in HK Cinema, but they always take place in Shanghai so the setting itself is refreshing. It is a side-scrolling platform/fighting game and what sells it is the voiced story-telling with comic book panels (similar to Phantasy Star IV).
Noticed how boring & shite the small capsule (the image with logo) for Tianding was as I wrote this. Ew, please fix.

Top Bottom