• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam library small view is gone, here is a way to bring it back

If you like the small view , like I do, well its gone now with the new update. Here is two way's to get it "back"

Put
Code:
steam://open/minigameslist
in a browser and it will force Steam to Small Mode.

or

add this as a command line option:

Code:
 +open steam://open/minigameslist

How to add this option

I really hope it gets put back in, I can't stand these game launchers that are so large ...

Is there a better way to do this jshackles jshackles

Last edited:

daninthemix

WTF! How do I go back to 'Installed' view, so it just shows the icons of installed games?

EDIT: okay figured that out, but how can I get the normal Steam grid images back?

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Thats great and all but how do i get it back to small mode after going to the store page or downloads section...:messenger_pouting:

...because it looks like the only way is to restart Steam.

.. FFS why do these assholes always have to force crap like this down our throats.

Coflash

The most annoying thing is that the left hand side of the new client interface is basically what small mode was. Why remove it?

On my laptop, small mode was perfect for the small screen size + multitasking. It also runs like old arse on the laptop now. God damn it Gaben.

Last edited:
Thats great and all but how do i get it back to small mode after going to the store page or downloads section...:messenger_pouting:

.. FFS why do these assholes always have to force crap like this down our throats.
Put the url code into a browser, it will force steam back...i know this isnt the best :/

Last edited:

Graciaus

After a day with the beta I ended up adjusting and liking the new look. But it is much better if you set it to small and turn on low bandwidth mode to disable community content loading.

SweetShark

Quick question:
How I can hide the community tab in the page?
For God shake every time I open it I fear maybe there is a spoiler related to the game I am trying to play.

Which one is "small view"? I only ever use the list view
not my pic, but this is it

C5OlBPZ.jpg

eot

Banned
not my pic, but this is it

C5OlBPZ.jpg
You know, when I opened this thread I started Steam to see if affected me, it updated and my view was the same as normal. Then today the regular list view was gone.

It's not the same as this miniature one though. I tried the browser link you posted in the OP, and it works with the exception that I don't get the drop down menus at the top.

xemumanic

Good to see there's a way to get this back. Not for me, but I have a few buddies who will be happy to hear. I just wish the grid view had a way to access still.
So many of my games don't have posters,maybe half, and I'd have to hunt for them all, and that's annoying. Also, the new GOG interface has posters for more games than Steam does! Kinda stupid.

Sorta related, here's another tip I found on reddit to turn off all live broadcasts (if you hate that shit):

Account Details -> Preferences -> Platform Preferences: Live Broadcasts.

Hiding them all from the store product pages hides them in the library too. Haven't seen a broadcast since they added them, after which I immediately found and checked that box

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really like the new steam library.
New icons next to games for faster games recognition.
Many new sorting options
Working search feature. You can type "IFE" and it will find half-life for example. nice. Just like in Total Commander
Many useful stats when You click on a game and community content right there
Favourites are easy to manage too!
And it looks very good. Big props to valve... it just took them years too long

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As expected the latest Steam beta update adds the small view back updating it to work with the new collections and stuff, so much for all the trash talking (here and in that one Epic library thread for some reason), lol.

I had just made the small view my Steam launch shortcut and clicking it brought the small view back regardless of what Steam page was open at the time (even if it was just minimized to task bar).

Last edited:

Sentenza

Still think small mode is garbage, but I'm glad they are bringing it back.
Especially because despise being useful only for people on a laptop with four games installed, reading some users on the Steam forum could have made you think their lives depended on it.

Alexios

Still think small mode is garbage, but I'm glad they are bringing it back.
Especially because despise being useful only for people on a laptop with four games installed, reading some users on the Steam forum could have made you think their lives depended on it.
Why would you think it's only useful for that, lol? What does the number of games have to do with anything? Why would I need a Steam that takes more space than this?
13akpc.png

Last edited:

Sentenza

Because it's an autistic interface that is uncomfortable to browse and lacks function in a world where tabs exist.
Why would I want to kill my mousewheel on an anorexic Excel spreadsheet just to scroll down a list (and kill my eyes on a cramped list) when I have far more practical navigation options in the standard UI?

Last edited:

Alexios

Because it's an autistic interface that is uncomfortable to browse and lacks function in a world where tabs exist.
How is an interface autistic? What's uncomfortable? The games are there, they can be in categories you collapse or expand as you see fit so that you don't need to scroll at all (or even use the good ol search box to only show games with those characters in). It's quick and efficient, what's so bad?

Last edited:

Airola

I don't even know what "small view" is but holy hell this Steam update has made scrolling the game list clunky. I have maybe about 1400 games on the list and scrolling down the basic list is amazingly laggy. Before the update it was smooth with zero problems.

EDIT: Oh, some new update is available? I'll try later if that helps.

Last edited:
Of course there are some useful options under Steam > Settings > Library:

Disable Community Content - no longer auto-loads people's stuff on your game pages.
Low Performance Mode - switches from dynamic to static display of game pages.
Show game icons in the left column (check or uncheck)

Unchecking the show game icons and checking Low Bandwidth Mode might help with any lag while scrolling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom