• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam issues refunds for Battlefield 2042 as player count plummets

iHaunter

OP wasn't kidding. 92% player drop?

8A6i7r.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
is this real?
It is but needs context.

DICE was showing the criticisms the fans send to them.
So they quotes come from fans.

There are more quotes like...
  • “What the f*** was the developers thinking!”
  • “White men! White men! White men!”
  • “Did my grandfather storm the beaches of Normandy [for this] s***?”
It was a small part of the presentation with the screen showing a lot of quotes... so it is impossible to read eveything.
Ohhhh at the middle they put #EveryonesBattlefield that means all the criticisms the fans showed.

Last edited:
Had one of my most fun matches on Hourglass Conquest last night. Still seems like plenty of people playing on PS5 as matchmaking was very fast.

I have crossplay turned off and never have an issue finding a game on ps5. While none of the maps are exceptional I think hourglass might be my favourite. It's always intense.

MacReady13

This is the outcome when you announce a release date ahead of the game being ready for release. It would be so simple to just let them make the game as intended and release it when it's ready, but that is not how this works unfortunately.

And people call me an old man for preferring gaming in the past. Yes, shit games were always released but the amount of games released unfinished today and later patched after WE test the games for them is frankly unfair on us as consumers and lovers of video games.

So say what you will but give me the olden days where games were release in a more finished state than they are today.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the outcome when you announce a release date ahead of the game being ready for release. It would be so simple to just let them make the game as intended and release it when it's ready, but that is not how this works unfortunately.

And people call me an old man for preferring gaming in the past. Yes, shit games were always released but the amount of games released unfinished today and later patched after WE test the games for them is frankly unfair on us as consumers and lovers of video games.

So say what you will but give me the olden days where games were release in a more finished state than they are today.
You could tell this game had issues leading up to release.

BF games ALWAYS release before COD as EA tries to sell as many copies to shooter fan before COD hits. And just about every EA BF/shooter game also launches before Xmas. The fact they delayed release to after COD (I think this is the first time ever), but still had to launch it before the Xmas rush, you could then tell this game wasnt ready.

Those early leaks showing some crappy gameplay and the lousy beta solidified it as not ready.

The only hope it would be polished is if the leaks were outdated and the beta truly was based on some year old build where the final version is much better than what was seen. I remember people chatting about it and claiming the beta was from a May build so the final game might be much better. But as with most betas and leak, the final game is barely different.

Last edited:

ymoc

Did they lose key people, don't remember any other BF game launching this rough.
A ton actually.
RtFFYic.png

I don't know how many left after 2018, but it's probably not a small number.
BF2042's head of design was a guy that worked at King (maker of Candy Crush). EA brought him to elevate this game. We saw how great that worked and. He's already departed Dice. A job well done.

There's stuff that leak here and there. Like this gem: (Johann Gerrel) allegedly reported a "stupid design decision" in Battlefield 1 on the company's internal chat room, along with asking if any of the designers had actually played the game. In response, he was reportedly told that it might hurt the feeling of the people he was addressing.

Allforce

This game was such a huge letdown. After a year of covid and staying in playing Warzone with the boys I was full steam ahead ready to jump over to Battlefield. It wasn't that I was sick of Warzone I was just that hyped for a brand new Battlefield game with modern weapons to play with this newfound group of gamer buds that we established.

Then the beta. Ok this is fixable. Then the release, I gave it 8 hours of the 10 hour trial and just had enough, didn't even look back. I feel bad for my one buddy who pre-ordered the deluxe ass edition back in September just because I was hyping up how great it was going to be, then I'm the one who didn't even bother buying it.

20 bucks or FTP and some serious changes being made and I'll give it another shot but until then Battlefield 2042 is a just a game about reading funny memes and outrage on their subreddit.

TwinB242

Did they lose key people, don't remember any other BF game launching this rough.

I guess you didn't play BF4 at launch then. The game was literally unplayable for a lot of people due to constant server issues that made it impossible to join matches or even successfully finish matches that you somehow did manage to join.

BF2042 has a lot of issues but it was playable at launch at least.

Fake

I guess you didn't play BF4 at launch then. The game was literally unplayable for a lot of people due to constant server issues that made it impossible to join matches or even successfully finish matches that you somehow did manage to join.

BF4 have singleplayer. People don't need servers to play story mode.

SJRB

Gold Member

BF4 had server issues but was a solid game with solid mechanics, gameplay and map design. After the launch dust settled it was a solid experience.

BF2042 not only had shit netcode at launch but botched all the other points as well. Its mechanics are shit, the gameplay is extremely poor and unbalanced and the map design is beyond terrible. I honestly think there is not a single "good" map in rotation.

The difference between the two titles is night and day.

[Sigma]

BF4 had good bones, 2042 does not unfortunately. Ultimately the reason why I have a hard time envisioning this game recovering like BF4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom