• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck M.2 Replacement Video

CamHostage

Disappointing that it's difficult to replace, although m.2 really isn't made for popping in and out like a USB drive, so it makes sense for them to not prioritize storage replacement when building this portable.

At some point in future generations, all of this might be semi-moot, since high-speed memory cards are pushing as hard as SSD to evolve storage. SD Express, which uses a PCIe/NVMe interface and some changes to the SD pin layout, has cards coming onto the market in 2022 at nearly 1GB/s, and there's already an updated version passed by the SD Association with transfer speeds approaching 4GB/s. (Compact Flash is at that 4GB/s mark, but it's harder to find devices that use it.)

These cards are highly expensive for even the 1GB/s variety right now (CF prices are about $150-200 for a 128GB card), and it wouldn't matter with Steam Deck anyway because its card reader does not list support for the SD-EX format according to the specs. Still, I'd be happy to see the next Deck and also Switch Pro adopt these faster cards in the future.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is actually way hard than replace a M.2 SSD on PC.

I can understand why Gabe said it is not supposed to be replaceable.

KAL2006

Banned
Changing that thumbstick seems so simple hopefully changing sticky buttons is too. Now I'm more comfortable to actually play games like Street Fighter and COD without worrying about damaging thumbsticks or buttons in a competitive game.

baphomet

Disappointing that it's difficult to replace, although m.2 really isn't made for popping in and out like a USB drive, so it makes sense for them to not prioritize storage replacement when building this portable.

At some point in future generations, all of this might be semi-moot, since high-speed memory cards are pushing as hard as SSD to evolve storage. SD Express, which uses a PCIe/NVMe interface and some changes to the SD pin layout, has cards coming onto the market in 2022 at nearly 1GB/s, and there's already an updated version passed by the SD Association with transfer speeds approaching 4GB/s. (Compact Flash is at that 4GB/s mark, but it's harder to find devices that use it.)

These cards are highly expensive for even the 1GB/s variety right now (CF prices are about $150-200 for a 128GB card), and it wouldn't matter with Steam Deck anyway because its card reader does not list support for the SD-EX format according to the specs. Still, I'd be happy to see the next Deck and also Switch Pro adopt these faster cards in the future.

Did you watch it? It's maybe 5 minutes of work with 2 screwdrivers. There's nothing difficult about it

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

On a desktop yeah, obviously, but it isn't much different than replacing or upgrading stuff on a laptop.

From what they said, they don't recommend it not because its hard to replace but because a different SSD model from theirs may cause adverse effects. There's also the fact that, according to them, opening the case can reduce the Deck's impact resistance.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
On a desktop yeah, obviously, but it isn't much different than replacing or upgrading stuff on a laptop.

From what they said, they don't reccomend it not because its hard to replace but because a different SSD model from theirs may cause adverse effects.
Actually from the two notebooks I have here all of them have easy M.2 slots… removing the notebook back cover you can already plug in the SSD directly.

So it is easier in notebooks.

Guilty_AI

Actually from the two notebooks I have here all of them have easy M.2 slots… removing the notebook back cover you can already plug in the SSD directly.

So it is easier in notebooks.
No, when meddling with a notebook you also need to follow all the procedures they said such as disconnecting the battery or using that string in your arm.

The only thing that may be "harder" is removing one or two extra layers of metal but thats hardly an issue when opening a device like this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
No, when meddling with a notebook you also need to follow all the procedures they said such as disconnecting the battery or using that string in your arm.

The only thing that may be "harder" is removing one or two extra layers of metal but thats rarely an issue when dealing with devices like this.
You don’t need that.
In fact some notebooks have different covers for battery and SSDs… so you won’t even open the battery place.

There is extra layers of cover in deck so it is not easier like notebooks.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Great video. I bet Fix’it is a little miffed now though. But I am glad they show you the internals and tell you not to do anything.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Mmmmmmmmmm looks so cool, I hope they get destiny working right out of box.

Last edited:
Cool video, and as somebody that repairs computers/phones for a living it's always interesting to see the inside of these devices (I also love it when Spawnwave does his teardown videos).

It seems Valve know better, and want to educate people prior to release. Most companies would release nothing and simply hope it takes awhile for people to find out, but Valve know better at least. Which is cool in my book. Though how they made the "oopsie" of putting the ESD band on the gloves is beyond me?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is pretty fucking easy.

I can understand why Gabe said it is not supposed to be replaceable.
Many PC mobos have the NVMe slot on the bottom of the board. Swapping it entails unplugging your PC, removing case screws and panels, unplugging and removing GPU, unscrewing mobo, and replacing it while lifted. The amount of effort seems to be about the same.

MachRc

im guessing if you really do want to replace this , you'd have to buy a m2 mini usb stick and clone the original to the replacement first?
pretty cool you can easily boot windows on it and clone it off the steam

618GBwJcNNL._SL1100_.jpg

It would be nice to upgrade my 256 to a 1tb down the line, this looks super easy.

That's a lot of ribbon cables...

Looks pretty easy to work on though, cables have a pretty straightforward routing and all the screws look easy to find and access. It actually looks easier to work on than the WiiU gamepad which had tiny ribbon cables going through panels, or even the Joycons which had them routed around tight corners.

It actually looks similar to the average laptop in terms of complexity which generally aren't too hard to work on. I'm glad they made the "custom" analog units easy to get out. Here is the "custom" unit, btw:

pzsYXYy.jpg

Your run of the mill low-end Alps unit with a bunch of cheap plastic parts inside.

To change them out when they fail (which they will) you can de-solder the hard mounts and re-solder in another $1.25 "custom" unit. I imagine Valve will charge more for their pre-assembled unit.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's very likely they will release an official expansion card

people saying replacing the nvme on the ps5 was hard :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Honestly, not really hard if you have the tools, but sure a hassle for someone who never got into PC building.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Yeah... definitely not something I want to mess with, the SD expansion is plenty for what I'll be playing on the Deck.

But great move, showing people how to do it properly if they choose to not follow the recommendation of not messing with it.

Last edited:

Beelzebubs

It's very likely they will release an official expansion card

Honestly, not really hard if you have the tools, but sure a hassle for someone who never got into PC building.
The only thing easier than this is my mum....... All it takes is one screw......

Top Bottom