• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck is now available without a reservation | The Docking Station is available, too

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The steam deck! Now with a reservation time that isn't a billion years long!
All hail gaben.

JVZ1Z4T.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm super happy for them to be able to accommodate demand more now. And the dock, if I had a need for it I would get it today but not quite yet.

Klosshufvud

Very cool device if you travel and whatnot. Probably the best handheld I've ever used. Trackpads are godly and RTS games are fully playable in SP modes. I hope for a revision they make a model that is considerably smaller in length. But that may be impossible to achieve for that power/battery life on top of track pads. Really innovative and paradigm-shifting device regardless. The stuff that we as kids could only dream of.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I'm super happy for them to be able to accommodate demand more now. And the dock, if I had a need for it I would get it today but not quite yet.
I think it’s not just as popular as the other consoles.

Don’t get me wrong it’s an awesome handheld. But it’s not for casual gamers either

Klosshufvud

I think the only reason I haven't bought a Steam Deck is that I'm too lazy to look into the compatibility or how it all works.
It uses a custom OS based on Linux. Basically gaming on Steam platform is barely harder than on Switch or any other handheld. Most of the time it's just about finding your desired controller profile. In my experience, almost all tested games worked just fine despite Valve saying unsupported game. The tricky part is playing games you own but not on Steam. That requires entering desktop version of the OS which is harder to navigate. But just on Steam? As easy as any other handheld.

If it makes it to Steam Deck 3 I'll consider it. Past Valve hardware does not inspire confidence that they'll still support this in two years if sales taper off.

With the devices I already own I don't see much purpose for this in my own scenario, but I do hope it continues to do well and gains a following.

It uses a custom OS based on Linux. Basically gaming on Steam platform is barely harder than on Switch or any other handheld. Most of the time it's just about finding your desired controller profile. In my experience, almost all tested games worked just fine despite Valve saying unsupported game. The tricky part is playing games you own but not on Steam. That requires entering desktop version of the OS which is harder to navigate. But just on Steam? As easy as any other handheld.
Good to know! I actually don't have much on my steam account. I'm probably not the ideal demo.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Very exciting, just hope we get to a Steam Deck 2 sooner than later. This one feels Apple like in regards to being an obvious 1st gen product that needs alot of refinement, not just in software, but in a lot of hardware areas.

Can't wait for an OLED version with some more power and less bulky design. I'm excited for what the future holds with it :)

Anyone got a quick youtube link on how to get windows up and going on this thing and if it's easy to switch back and forth between Steam OS and Windows?

GametimeUK

I absolutely adore my Steam Deck. I have been using it pretty much how the Nintendo Switch was designed to be used. Dipping in and our of handheld gaming to PC gaming on games like A Hat in Time has been a great experience.

Some games require tweaking, but I love the options at my disposal to get games running how I want to play them.

People know what they're getting with this one. Either you value what it has to offer or you don't.

I've always enjoyed the idea of handheld gaming and I've had many handheld devices in the past. The one that came closest was the Vita, but now the Steam Deck is easily the best handheld device I've played.

Anyone got a quick youtube link on how to get windows up and going on this thing and if it's easy to switch back and forth between Steam OS and Windows?

Install Windows on a microSD/USB
Insert into Deck
Turn on Deck while holding volume down
Select Windows in the boot manager

To switch back to Steam OS, turn off the system and turn it back on without the Windows microSD/USB

Install Windows on a microSD/USB
Insert into Deck
Turn on Deck while holding volume down
Select Windows in the boot manager

To switch back to Steam OS, turn off the system and turn it back on without the Windows microSD/USB
Thanks, That looks easy to do.
I'm ordering it in 2 hours when I get home.

rofif

Banned
I just got 64gb model reservation email (for my nephew for christmass).
I was expecting it to arrive next month so I had to cancel.

Dock is too expensive for 90 sorry.
I don't see a use for it anyway

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I love my standard switch and would totally upgrade to an OLED handheld.

Switch 2 vs steam Deck 2 will be a hard choice.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
95% of the people are playing it sat in front of a more powerful computer, yall got more cents than sense.
Nah. Majority of time is spent playing it on the couch or in bed. Only time I play at my desk is when I'm capturing footage from the Deck to an external capture card, or loading up and testing ROMs.
Internal SSD method. No swap or dongle required...

Older process...

I have SteamOS+Win10 on an internal 1TB SSD with 705GB for Win10 and 235GB for SteamOS+ 512GB microSD.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

95% of the people are playing it sat in front of a more powerful computer, yall got more cents than sense.
That's the EXACT reason why I keep talking myself out of getting one. I really do want one, but then I think about how much I travel (I don't), and how often I'm away from home wishing I had a Steam Deck (not often). So, for me, getting one is not really necessary. But man, I wish I had a really good excuse to get one, but I don't, lmao.

sendit

As a portable device (it's main functionality) the battery life is horrible, will wait for a revision. This thing needs to last 6+ hours for me to consider it a worth while purchase.

Last edited:
As a portable device (it's main functionality) the battery life is horrible, will wait for a revision. This thing needs to last 6+ hours for me to consider it a worth while purchase.

I get 5 hours in Monster Hunter Rise, you can easily get more than that in less demanding games. Use FSR at 40fps and limit the watts and GPU speed per game, otherwise games will use up more power than they need because they're optimized to max out your PC

Graciaus

Is the middle one considered the best option?

It's hard for me to justify a purchase. My pc is hooked up to my TV. The only time I'd use it is when the SO is hogging the TV. I use my phone to emulate old games already.

A.Romero

I got to see one last weekend for the first time (not available for purchase in my country) and I thought it is a pretty impressive little device. I think Proton is the most innovative thing about it.

If portable gaming was my thing I'd be getting one for sure.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is the middle one considered the best option?

It's hard for me to justify a purchase. My pc is hooked up to my TV. The only time I'd use it is when the SO is hogging the TV. I use my phone to emulate old games already.
Depends on your needs. I had the 512GB model initially and ending up selling it for msrp(no scalp) and getting the 64GB version then upgraded it to a 1TB SSD. Ended up paying $548 for a 1TB Deck. The process of opening the Deck, swapping the SSD, and reinstalling SteamOS took about 40min. It was easy once I read that you pry the Deck open by the fan exhaust not the right side like the tutorial.

As previously mentioned above, you can also just get the 64GB model and add a 512GB/1TB microSD card.

Top Bottom