• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck | General Review Thread

Kadve

CPU doesn't get anywhere close to 100°C
I can't upload a screenshot right now, but skip to 8:30m the minutemark :

Please people, this is how misunderstandings and misinformation arise. Just do your research before you publish avoidable wrong facts.
So you're saying Starhowl lied? I wouldn't call 91°C that much better.

Kupfer

So you're saying Starhowl lied? I wouldn't call 91°C that much better.
But it's not about the CPU, the IC which gets up to 91°C is a controller for charging the Deck. And it only gets that hot, if you play and simultaneously charge your deck with a >45w charger.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
From the GamersNexus video, it looks like the Deck's VRMs are overengineered and there's some headroom to increase the GPU clocks, especially if the CPU clocks are manually throttled.

At least on Windows we should also be able to undervolt the CPU and the GPU to get higher clocks at the same power consumption, or lower power consumption at the same clocks.

lordrand11

Some screens from the LTT video...

I'm getting the 512GB and planning on running Windows 10(Steam, GoG, Game Pass) and putting emu on the microSD. It's weird that the MicroSD card is keeping up with the internal SSD in this test, but I'm guessing that's the base eMMC model being compared. I think that's roughly PS4/Xbox One load times. The "fastest storage" 512GB model should be doing much better than that, you'd think anyway.
I'm super hyped to get mine in and play around with the different configurations and OS's on it. Definitely going to run Windows 10 on mine too for Retroarch, GoG, and a few others. I preordered the 512 model as well

May I seriously ask...
wtf were you guys expecting?
This thing looks awesome, the battery life may not be the best but you guys do realize its actually the best battery life of anything even similar to this product? Its not basically a 2017 phone (Switch), its a laptop that has much more horsepower. The fact that Valve is selling a $400-$600 gaming handheld that can play pretty new PC games a good framerates under 40w is impressive as hell, and the OS's built in FSR will improve performance (it hasnt been enabled yet).

I'm excited to dual-boot Steam OS and Windows 11 and just screw around with it alone. This is one of the coolest gadgets thats released in a while.
Ha, maybe my post was too subtle. I can’t wait for it, but unfortunately I was on a flight when preorders opened so my ETA is currently after Q2, so I was mischievously encouraging people to cancel, not bashing the Steamdeck…

Starhowl

You can look up the specs of the IC yourself here : MAX77961

Even though the manufacturer gives it a 85 °C limit, according to Valve it is safe up to 105 °C. I'm sure Valve has done a lot of testing and talked to the manufacturer of the IC. The 85°C are probably just an indication to hedge, with air to the top.
Well the actual thing here is that the industrial temperature range goes up to 85°C and the chip is not operating within this limit. 🔥

You and others on the other hand are consumers. For consumers the temperature range is actually lower by 15°C, that is the maximum would be 70°C. :pie_thinking:

For a consumer device this means that the temperature is 20°C higher than it actually should be! 😱

lachesis

Then I guess it's a good thing that I'm getting it after Q2... and hopefully Valve will iron out any kinks in that IC chip being too hot or whatnot.

I like the big form factor - I really liked my Wii U pad... and this reminds me of that, even though it's about 170g heavier.
I think the width of unit and the grip would compensate the weight, though... making it feel much lighter than it really is.
I wouldn't really play it lying down flat in bed though - but in more or less reclined position, with something on the belly to lean it?

Battery hours are rather disappointing - but I think it will be fine for like 30min-45min bus/subway commute for a lot of folks - especially if you can charge from your destination. I tend to only bring small things for the long flights, so I guess this would be out to begin with. (Not liking that short USB charging cable)

Thing that excites me the most about this deck, other than Steam/Game Pass/Steam Link/Emulation - is that I have a feeling that this will get robust user support in actual HW modding and all - maybe someone would even come up with OLED screen kit, or specialized OS tweaks or whatnot - and would love to see how far would people push this thing.

usctrojan

for battery conservative situations just play sprite based goodies. didnt dead cells scooop up 6 hours? i'm probably going to play through a bunch of old shit on mine. with that and switch, i can travel comfortably. then when home or stationary i can play some heavier titles. but yea i wish battery was better.

Kupfer

Well the actual thing here is that the industrial temperature range goes up to 85°C and the chip is not operating within this limit. 🔥

You and others on the other hand are consumers. For consumers the temperature range is actually lower by 15°C, that is the maximum would be 70°C. :pie_thinking:

For a consumer device this means that the temperature is 20°C higher than it actually should be! 😱

I don't understand the part about the industrial temperature and the user temperature. If the "Oper. Temp. (°C)" is -40°C - 85°C the IC does not care whether it is used industrially or in the device of an end user. And where does it come from that the limit at the end user is suddenly 15°C lower than in the data sheet?

As already mentioned, I am very sure, even if I can't back it up, that Valve has done a lot of stress testing and knows exactly why they chose this IC. This is supported by the fact that Valve explicitly claims in their documentation that this IC is allowed to get up to a temperature of 105°C.

EDIT:
Okay I'm just looking in the datasheet of the IC and there is this paragraph:

Thermal Shutdown
The MAX77960/MAX77961 have a die temperature sensing circuit. When the die temperature exceeds the thermal
shutdown threshold, TSHDN, the MAX77960/MAX77961 shut down and reset O type I2C registers. There is a 15°C
thermal hysteresis. After thermal shutdown, if the die temperature reduces by 15°C, the thermal shutdown bus deasserts
and the devices reenable. The battery charger has an independent thermal regulation loop.

Did you mean that by any case with the 15 °C ?

You can also find this paragraph:

Thermal Fault
The MAX77960/MAX77961 have a die temperature sensing circuit. When the die temperature exceeds the thermal
shutdown threshold, 165°C (TSHDN), the MAX77960/MAX77961 shut down and reset O Type I2C registers. There is
a 15°C thermal hysteresis. After thermal shutdown, if the die temperature reduces by 15°C, the thermal shutdown bus
deasserts and IC reenables. The battery charger has an independent thermal regulation loop.

So we basically have a thermal shutdown triggered by a varibale temperature set by the dev and then we have a thermal fault triggered when the IC gets 165°C hot if I get that right.

EDIT EDIT:

Furthermore, the datasheet gives the codes for the different temperatures from which you can limit the charging current.
This is done in steps of 5 from 85°C to 130°C. If the manufacturer ensures that the developer can control and regulate the chip up to 130°C and that it only switches itself off at 165°C, 91°C is really no big deal.
Junction Temperature Thermal Regulation (ºC).
The charger's target current limit starts to
foldback and the TREG bit is set if the
junction temperature is greater than the
REGTEMP setpoint.
0x0: 85
0x1: 90
0x2: 95
0x3: 100
0x4: 105
0x5: 110
0x6: 115
0x7: 120
0x8: 125
0x9: 130​

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Ill probably buy it next year or end of the year, PSvr2 comes 1st . And mostly use it for dock mode like i do use the Switch

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The Phawx posted a new video yesterday. It's *edit* just FH5, but he does a really good job understanding what to look for in comparison to other handheld gaming PCs.

Last edited:

Phase

Looks good, but I think I'll wait until a Steam Deck 2 or some substantial update so they can iron out any kinks that will surely come up.

lachesis

Looks like iFixit will sell the parts and pieces for the Steam deck.
After watching the video (and along with the Gamer Nexus one) - yeah... I wish the battery was easier to remove.
Of all my handhelds - the batteries are always the one that goes bad first... and this one seems to be pretty hard to remove, due to all that adhesives.

Ultradsa

Kind of a bummer that they went with a super shitty display. The Switch OLED will look like a dream compared to this.
I don't know about a super shitty display, The only preview that spent time on the display said it was good and very good at consistent colors on various brightness settings. I wish it was OLED also but i'm not going to assume it's a bad screen without more reviews/previews that delve on it.

Phase

Yes you should definitely wait for Steam Deck 2 all the Steam machine 2, Steam controller 2, Steam link 2 and Index 2 users agree.
Well, I just built a nice new pc last year so the current steam deck would only serve as a low-quality portable option - something I don't want or need. Maybe in 6-7 yrs when my pc is on its way out or if a part dies early.

Foilz

Banned
I cancelled my preorder. I was sold on this when I first saw it but as time has gone on this thing looks like it's gonna become useless real quick. I constantly see posts saying "ultimate emu machine" aren't we tired of emu machines by now?

SaiyanRaoh

I cancelled my preorder. I was sold on this when I first saw it but as time has gone on this thing looks like it's gonna become useless real quick. I constantly see posts saying "ultimate emu machine" aren't we tired of emu machines by now?
Nope. When gaming is the way it is today, in my house, everything that is able is an emu machine. My Steam Deck will be yet another.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Looks like there will be ways to keep 60 FPS while doubling battery life.

Good video. Surprised that Control doesn't take much of hit to image quality going from 720p to 540p. DMC V takes a hit, but FSR does a nice job of defining edges and bring the image quality back up.
DMV-Deck-Comparison.png

Steam Deck in my hands would be a emulation machine, with indies on top of it. It can run AAA, but at low settings/fps and with poor battery life.
In comparison to what device?
Hopefully you cancelled a 256GB or 512GB model so I can move up a spot.

If you have a handheld capable of playing Steam, Switch, and PS3 games, then you already spent over $1000 and it would surely be redundant to buy another. In general most people don't have GPD Win 3, Neo Pro, or OneXPlayer.

Can you expound on how it's "gonna become useless real quick"?

Ev1L AuRoN

In comparison to what device?
I'm not comparing to anything, 1.5 Hour for a handheld is poor by any metric, and that would be the case for players who want to play tripple A games on it.

I merely suggest that, as an emulation and indie device, I will have an acceptable battery life. So, for ME, a Steam Deck would be used as such. I don't want to play PC games at low settings e low fps, I rather have a premium emulation box.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm not comparing to anything, 1.5 Hour for a handheld is poor by any metric, and that would be the case for players who want to play tripple A games on it.

I merely suggest that, as an emulation and indie device, I will have an acceptable battery life. So, for ME, a Steam Deck would be used as such. I don't want to play PC games at low settings e low fps, I rather have a premium emulation box.
Fair enough. Keep in mind Phawx got 6hrs on Dead Cells, 7.5hrs with tweaked settings, and although the totally uncapped test on Control yielded a worst-case of 1.5hrs in his previous video, in new video with FSR he was able to add another hour for only a slight reduction in image quality.
Control-Compare.png

To be fair we haven't seen battery life for emulation. As much as I'm into the emulation aspect, I'm also looking forward to playing Steam games that aren't as heavy as Control uncapped at over 60fps. I'm fine with 2-3hrs of battery life for newer games.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Love the Nintendo salt in here. Screen not as good as Oled, battery doesn’t last like og Switch, lol. Have fun playing Switch games guys, but the fear mongering and concern trolling is too much. See you guys in q2, hope you get that elden ring on switch, oh wait, you get no man’s sky.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Love the Nintendo salt in here. Screen not as good as Oled, battery doesn’t last like og Switch, lol. Have fun playing Switch games guys, but the fear mongering and concern trolling is too much. See you guys in q2, hope you get that elden ring on switch, oh wait, you get no man’s sky.
??? I have PS5, I just gonna get Elden Ring for that system, I have Switch for game like Xenoblade, Shin Megami tensei and other exclusive games.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Any other reviews besides Linus test the screen for color accuracy? It's the only thing that has me wavering on my pre-order.

Last edited:

LOL, why do you think Nintendo fans are jealous??? Steam Desk is absolutely no threat to Switch. NONE. It'd be lucky if it sold 10 million in its life time

Dream-Knife

Banned
Really? I own original release Switch I spend 3 hour playing XC2 and SMTV in handheld mode on my bed before going to sleep.
My OG switch died in 2019 and was replaced with a V2, so no idea on SMTV, but yeah XC2 would last about 2 hours. BOTW was around 2.5 I think.

lachesis

I'm getting Steam deck for basically Falcom games (Trails series) and also Ys series as well.
I would stick to PS5 or Switch - but it's the language option that's more robust on Steam end.... and I don't want to pay premium to import PS5/Switch games anymore - if it's something I can buy cheap on Steam.

While I don't expect that those Falcom games would require so much of battery power... but then again, I don't underestimate the power of under-optimization... ;)
If it runs Trails game for 2-3 hours, I think I would be okay. It's unlikely that I will have uninterrupted gaming time for over 30 min in any case, or away from any power outlet for extended period of time.

Top Bottom