• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck future owners OS Poll (steam os or Windows install)

What OS will you use

• Total voters
What do you think you will use, Steam OS or Windows install. It seems there will be a benefit to running windows and then installing clients including Gamepass if I am correct.

I've been out of the windows gaming environment for a decade and have not used the Epic store, Steam, or gamepass.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Going to stick with the default OS until the dust settles. I haven't had a gaming PC for a couple of years so I have catching up on some older titles to start with.

Sentenza

It's nice to know we even have the option but it's too soon to tell.
On a personal note I'm planning to stick to SteamOS as long as I'll find it frictionless to use and viable. If things don't work out smoothly enough or if limitations turn out to be too restricting, then Windows it is.

Fredrik

Windows because I want Gamepass and freedom to use the stores and programs I have on my PC.

I might try a dual boot though, 512GB split into 256GB for Windows and 256GB for SteamOS, just to be able to get the console-like experience when I don’t need anything else.

Pejo

I'll try SteamOS with Proton since I haven't ever given that a shot, probably for the first few hours or something. Then straight to windows. I want to use this thing mostly as an emulator dream machine and the occasional newer game when on trips or something.

spons

Gold Member
I'll try SteamOS with Proton since I haven't ever given that a shot, probably for the first few hours or something. Then straight to windows. I want to use this thing mostly as an emulator dream machine and the occasional newer game when on trips or something.
What emulators? Most of them, especially those that use OpenGL, are going to work about a million times better on SteamOS than on Windows due to AMD's piss poor implementation.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I intend on leaving SteamOS on it. It's fine - I used to be a heavy Linux user and still must use it infrequently for work, so I am comfortable with it. I am also expecting Microsoft to port their Xbox app to SteamOS (for that sweet Game Pass action). Besides, the last thing I need is another Windows device.

RaySoft

I woted SteamOS, since you want "snappy" and specific GUI for a handheld. I'll reserve a WinNT core install for when a lightweight image eventually get released. For a portable to make sence you REALLY don't want booting into a full fledged windows desktop:-/

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Going with Windows 10. Will use Steam BP with UWPHook for GP, then add GoG games manually. Just going to pin Steam, Yuzu, Cemu, and Redream to the taskbar.

Last edited:
If I were going to buy this I'd make it a Windows box for Gamepass. With Windows I can still use Steam so the only downside is that I also have all the shit that Windows brings with it that I'll have to clean up.

chaseroni

If it goes anything like my Alienware Alpha (which I use daily and intend to replace with the Deck) , then it's running windows.
I'll give the new SteamOS a shot but I have a feeling it will be a more capable device with full blown Windows on it.

LordCBH

Considering you can wire everything up via Proton, custom Wine prefixes and/or Lutris, I'm fine with SteamOS.

Does Windows even have drivers for an RDNA 2 APU?

Would that even be able to do games on the epic store so I can play kingdom hearts? I hate myself for asking that, but I REALLY want portable mainline KH.

Windows because I want Gamepass and freedom to use the stores and programs I have on my PC.

I might try a dual boot though, 512GB split into 256GB for Windows and 256GB for SteamOS, just to be able to get the console-like experience when I don’t need anything else.
This is what I am thinking as well. Too early to say yet and it will depend on a lot of things. I may end up with Windows as the only OS on it. We'll see.

bender

What time is it?
Windows will add cost to the device but it probably gives you more flexibility and better performance overall.

Fredrik

I'm going to start with SteamOS and see how it goes. If its shit, I'll install Windows
It’s not going to be shit, it’s just going to have some closed doors that should be open.

This is what I am thinking as well. Too early to say yet and it will depend on a lot of things. I may end up with Windows as the only OS on it. We'll see.
I’ll start with SteamOS since it’s preinstalled, then I’ll look up some guide how to get Windows on it with a nice UI suitable for smaller screens. I used to have pocket PCs before there were smart phones, Philips Nino, Casio Cassiopeia, Compaq iPAQ. They had Windows CE. Is there no Windows variant like that available anymore? Or can you boot Windows in a big picture (lol) mode?

Fredrik

Don't tell me what shit is. I know what shit is. In fact, I'm full of shit.

wait....
Heh me too I’m just guessing, but going by Steam Link Valve can do UIs that work with a controller at least. Haven’t tried experimenting with Windows in a device without keyboard and mouse.

pasterpl

Windows 11 straight away, and this will become my game pass pc with xcloud streaming. My steam library is not massive but with all of the egs free games I have got quite a lot of pc games to play.

Windows and Playnite
frederator studios bravest warriors GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Not sure if I'll buy one yet, gonna wait it out and see how everything comes together. I've got a PC/XSX/PS5/Switch. Not gonna rush to spend $600+ to play my games with much shittier graphics but I definitely like the idea of a portable steam library/dedicated device.

I'd probably install Windows though

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

So you can have Windows AND Steam OS installed at the same time? How does that work?

theHFIC

I think it would depend on if the Steam Deck UI makes it over to Windows Steam client. I don't want to spend my days squinting and pinching and zooming at a Windows desktop on a 7 inch screen that may or may not be designed for touch interface.

I can let you know my final decision in Q3 2022.

Top Bottom