• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck: FAQ

junguler

Banned
a few things i found interesting from the page:

Can you have multiple Steam accounts on one Steam Deck?

Yes, and each account on a Steam Deck will keep its own local save data and settings.

Can I run non-Steam games through Proton on Steam Deck?

Yes, you can run non-Steam games through Proton.

Will Steam on Steam Deck have an ‘Add a Game’ feature like Steam on desktop?

Yes, we'll support adding games like we do for the desktop Steam client.

Will the UI on Steam Deck replace Big Picture?

That is what we’re aiming for, though the rollout will happen in stages.

Will improvements to Proton for Steam Deck (like anti-cheat support) also apply to Proton on desktop?

Yes, these improvements will make it to all systems using Proton.

How will SteamOS and Steam Deck handle offline mode when it comes to launching games?

Just like a PC, you'll need to be online to download games and play online multiplayer games. Once a game is installed on disk, you can play while Steam Deck is offline unless the game requires an internet connection.

What can you tell us about the BIOS and does it allow dual-boot?

Multi-boot is supported - you can have multiple OSes installed and choose which one to boot into. Users will have access to the BIOS menu.

Can you boot an OS off the SD card?

Yes, Steam Deck supports boot from microSD.

Can Steam Deck be used as a PC controller?

Yes, you can connect your Steam Deck to a PC via Remote Play and use it as a controller.

Will Steam Deck work with PC VR headsets?

While technically a PC VR headset can be connected, the Steam Deck is not optimized for PC VR experiences.

Does docking the Deck improve performance?

No, docking is more akin to plugging a USB-C hub into a PC. Steam Deck runs at full performance in portable mode.

junguler

Banned
if they get destiny working…..
i think bungie is banning everyone who plays destiny 2 on linux so unfortunately i don't think this is going to happen naturally and as a result of proton development, it should be allowed by bungie themselves or if it's an automatic process of their anti-cheat system it should be fixed somehow.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
i think bungie is banning everyone who plays destiny 2 on linux so unfortunately i don't think this is going to happen naturally and as a result of proton development, it should be allowed by bungie themselves or if it's an automatic process of their anti-cheat system it should be fixed somehow.
Yeah definitely waiting for word before I buy

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
True but rather keep it as is.
According to these FAQs (if you know what you're doing) you could get an SD card that's just for Windows / Destiny so that when it's in you could boot to that and play. Then you could still "keep it as is" by just removing that SD card and rebooting when you were done. Just a thought.

nani17

are in a big trouble
PC pirates

giphy.gif

LordCBH

Awww come on bungo….

jaysius

Banned
TPM requirement is no longer a thing.
Well show me that article please.

A quick google gives the contrary information.

TPM 2.0 is a requirement of Windows 11 and with the "Heatlh Check" tool that MS put out, if you don't have TPM 2.0 it fails to be compatible with Windows 11.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Does that weird little device have TPM 2.0? Otherwise LOL @ Windows 11.

Now, Valve has confirmed it has been heavily focused on Windows support. “There’s work looking at TPM just now,” says Greg Coomer, a Valve Steam Deck designer, in an interview with PC Gamer. “We’ve focused so much on Windows 10, so far, that we haven’t really gotten that far into it. Our expectation is that we can meet that.”

Valve is working with AMD to make sure that TPM is supported at a BIOS level, and that the Steam Deck is ready for Windows 11. “So there’s nothing to indicate to us yet that there’ll be any issues with Windows 11,” explains Coomer.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

TPM 2.0 is a requirement of Windows 11 and with the "Heatlh Check" tool that MS put out, if you don't have TPM 2.0 it fails to be compatible with Windows 11.

After initially claiming that Windows 11 won't work on a PC without a TPM 2.0 (or Trusted Platform Module), Microsoft has now confirmed to Tom's Guide that the OS actually requires only the older, much more common TPM 1.2 module — but also that if you install Windows 11 on a machine without a TPM 2.0 chip, you'll be taking a risk.

According to the latest reporting and what we've heard directly from Microsoft, you can indeed install Windows 11 on older PCs that don't meet the Windows 11 system requirements. On those machines, Windows 11 will run in an "unsupported state" that may cause you to miss out on important security fixes and Windows updates.

Kenpachii

Honestly i though i readed somewhere they dropped it for oem versions. Guess not.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
According to these FAQs (if you know what you're doing) you could get an SD card that's just for Windows / Destiny so that when it's in you could boot to that and play. Then you could still "keep it as is" by just removing that SD card and rebooting when you were done. Just a thought.

people smarter than me will figure all this out very soon after release

IFireflyl

Gold Member

This hurts me. I was refreshing my screen a minute before pre-orders went live. I was probably one of the first people to see the option, but it kept crashing so many times that I didn't get it pre-ordered until 10 minutes later. I'm stuck in Q1 2022, and the pain is forever.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This hurts me. I was refreshing my screen a minute before pre-orders went live. I was probably one of the first people to see the option, but it kept crashing so many times that I didn't get it pre-ordered until 10 minutes later. I'm stuck in Q1 2022, and the pain is forever.
Which one did you go for? I got through around the 4 minute mark and went for the 512GB model.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm still in the Q1 2022 group. Hopefully it will be really early Q1. I'm guessing I'll just be using Win10. I mostly play Game Pass PC and Steam, so I don't mind using UWPHook and Steam BP.

Top Bottom