• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck...a retro gaming banger handheld? Who here on GAF has one?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Steam deck has gotten thumbs up from the gaming community I don’t want to be looking down when gaming. For me it’s always heads up looking at a TV screen.

I’m waiting on the Steam Deck 2. Slimmer design. More powerful. More optimized OS. Better accessories.

It should feel like going from the original Nintendo DS to New 3DS.

Poppyseed

I’m waiting on the Steam Deck 2. Slimmer design. More powerful. More optimized OS. Better accessories.

OLED. Better battery life. Those are the two major things I’d like to see. Then better screen-to-bezel ratio, lighter etc. It’ll come in time. While we wait, so happy to have a Deck. Love it.

ahtlas7

Yes, it’s great! At home when I don’t want to isolate to my pc. I travel a lot and it’s super for that too.

Griffon

Valve confirmed that they wont make a more powerful one yet.

Slimmer design and longer battery life is what we can expect. Imho the current model already delivers very well on those points, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth waiting more than a year over that.

jayj

Banned
I got one, but the only retro gaming I do on it is old PC games I got on Steam. Great handheld though, love it for what it is. Not nearly as good at being a portable as a Switch though, it's more like a modern Game Gear, it's too bulky and the battery life is too poor to really be something I would use on the go.

Dazraell

I have one too for a past few months

It really reinvigorated an interest in PC games for me as I tend to move around between two places and being able to play games from my backlog on Steam (and beyond) without any extra hassle tied to moving my PC is a great thing. Not to even mention it's extensive emulation features and scalability related to being able to customising experience to your own needs

I also work a lot on a computer and playing on it felt more and more like a chore instead of having fun

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I wish people would put out more gameplay videos of games running on the deck, both video capture and cam recording it being played on the deck, I search YouTube for deck gameplay and most the videos are older.

Dazraell

I wish people would put out more gameplay videos of games running on the deck, both video capture and cam recording it being played on the deck, I search YouTube for deck gameplay and most the videos are older.
I recommend this channel (SantiagoSantiago) and this site (Protondb)

This youtuber has a very good videos when he just plays various games (sometimes entire franchises) on Steam Deck and leaves in comments any tricks you have to do to make them run. The other page has written comments directly by community how games work on Steam Deck / Linux via Proton and in case if there are some problems they're sharing workarounds they used to make them playable

JCK75

I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made.. I've had it since launch and it never stops impressing me.. My steam library is already freaking huge but add on all the retro gaming I can do. I use it as a jack of all trades

I recommend this channel (SantiagoSantiago) and this site (Protondb)

This youtuber has a very good videos when he just plays various games (sometimes entire franchises) on Steam Deck and leaves in comments any tricks you have to do to make them run. The other page has written comments directly by community how games work on Steam Deck / Linux via Proton and in case if there are some problems they're sharing workarounds they used to make them playable
Proton db save my ass trying to configure these unverified steam games. Trying to get ac unity running on the deck was a fucking nightmare if not for the guides people posted on proton db and steam forums.

Dazraell

Proton db save my ass trying to configure these unverified steam games. Trying to get ac unity running on the deck was a fucking nightmare if not for the guides people posted on proton db and steam forums.
Oh yeah, Protondb is a lifesaver. I recently had a similar experience with Asterix XXL Romastered. I quickly checked it by running it, the main menu worked so I assumed it was fine. I just got to my parents house on Christmas, wanted to play it and it... fucking crashed right after starting New Game. I've tried various configurations but still the same. Someone on protondb mentioned playing on an earlier version of Proton (6 or 7, I forgot), I setted it to that and it worked. Now I'm just hoping this was the last surprise I got lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mostly bought mine for PS2/Cube emulation. The former is great, the latter not so much.
I know it's been a year since you wrote this but that doesn't really line up. How is PS2 emulation better than Cube? games are larger in size and run worse most of the time

bender

What time is it?
I know it's been a year since you wrote this but that doesn't really line up. How is PS2 emulation better than Cube? games are larger in size and run worse most of the time

Luck of the draw. Eternal Darkness and F-Zero run incredibly poorly. SH2 and the few other PS2 games I've tried run fine. Not really sure what file size has to do with emulation performance.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to get Deliver Us Mars working on the Steamdeck? It just refuses to load for me.
I'm using the Epic Game Store free version, but thats not stopped games before.
Earthlock free on Epic Games also doesn't want to load. I'm starting to wonder if I screwed up my Deck and need to Wipe it clean and reinstall back to factory.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Got a 256Gb so card and now installing Emudeck. It’s going to be a busy evening for me.

Has anyone managed to get Deliver Us Mars working on the Steamdeck? It just refuses to load for me.
Earthlock free on Epic Games also doesn't want to load. I'm starting to wonder if I screwed up my Deck and need to Wipe it clean and reinstall back to factory.
I just bought it but havent tried it yet. Will see tonight, mine is steam version so should work fine (was a verified game)

Shakka43

Luck of the draw. Eternal Darkness and F-Zero run incredibly poorly. SH2 and the few other PS2 games I've tried run fine. Not really sure what file size has to do with emulation performance.
There were problems which pretty much all GameCube games until update 3.5 or otherwise using Cryoutilities. Steam OS 3.5 fixed these issues.

I just bought it but havent tried it yet. Will see tonight, mine is steam version so should work fine (was a verified game)
Yea it boots up and runs without issue. The performance is bad tho, have to run it at lowest settings and it's still full gpu hogg.

Edit: after tinkerin more, seems like if you limit fps in game menu to 45 it lets you run medium graphics at a pretty decent level, doesnt max out gpu and doesn't stutter

Last edited:

Arsic

MGS2 on the steam deck is the best way to enjoy this new shit show collection from Konami.

I’ve been playing a lot of Diablo 2 on it as well.

MGS revengance runs perfect on it too. Deadly premonition 2.

I can’t get zone of the Enders 2 to work though. I finally figured out the trick to get it to play but it had no audio. No clue how to fix it.

Yea it boots up and runs without issue. The performance is bad tho, have to run it at lowest settings and it's still full gpu hogg
My epic game store version is borked It seems. Ive tried several wine/proton versions, it just launches into a black screen of nothing.
Some time after holidays ill wipe my steamdeck clean and start over With a fresh install of steamOS.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Have sunk quite a few hours into the Steam Deck and it continues to impress. It’s way better than I thought it would be. It’s so handy to just pick up and have a quick ten minute blast and the suspend the game again. It’s all very quick and intuitive with lots of ease of use functions.
I’m also impressed by the thumb sticks. Very smooth and precise. All in all its very nice hardware with a premium feel.

Top Bottom