• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck...a retro gaming banger handheld? Who here on GAF has one?

VGEsoterica

Of course I picked up a Steam Deck because (insert reason here....do I even know why?) it's shiny, new and those are two qualities I like in my gaming hardware haha. And as a portable gaming PC...pretty damn legit. Sure its a bit rough around the edges here and there with performance but for what it aims to do....hyper impressed so far.

But from the retro gaming perspective? That may really be where the Deck shines. Nintendo from NES up through modern hardware, the entirety of Sega's hardware catalogue, PlayStation through PS3, basically every handheld ever made, arcade stuff...etc etc etc...all runs LEGIT WELL on the Steam Deck. Sure it's nothing you cant accomplish on PC but in the palm of your hands (Steam Deck is BIG...so at least two hands. Maybe three if you have a spare) its shocking just how competent this thing is as a retro gaming machine.

Curious who on GAF has a deck and if they are primarily using it for modern Steam library stuff, retro gaming...or both? Because you gotta get Emu Deck 2 installed on it. Basically opens the hardware up to a ton more stuff and the integration into your Steam library collections with art and categories is wild.

This should help some people hopefully because it's VERY worth it. Especially while the "Deck Certified" (or whatever Valve is calling it) category is still growing

chixdiggit

Love it.
It's cool that you can play stuff like Elden Ring and God of War on it but I mostly have just been using it to play indie games for 30 minutes a night in bed. Found some real gems that I normally wouldn't have given the time without the device.
Really need to do the Emu Deck but have been plenty busy without it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid. I'm going to delve into Emulation next.
I'm still trying to get Dual Boot into Windows. I didn't like OS on SD card method and had to start over. So far most of the Epic Game store games 'work' on Steam Deck with the shader studder issue. Lot's of work arounds to fix that but nothing as good as the main Steam OS way.
This Emudeck looks like it will be a good easy and SUPPORTED by community way to get old things up and running.

I got mine. I started by playing the first 9 Final Fantasy games on it.

I tried playing Sonic Generations, but it ran terribly. I started to worry it wouldn't be up to par for AAA games.

But, now I'm playing Resident Evil 2 Remake and it runs beautifully at 60 FPS. Very impressive machine.

But, that battery when pushing the hardware... You can literally watch the percentage fall in real time. Not great for extended play sessions if you're not near a power outlet.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yep, got one very recently and the first full game I played through was Super Mario RPG since Nintendo apparently has no interest on getting in onto Switch online.

Then moved onto FF9 Steam and managed to get the Moguri mod working with it as well after a poster here said it was possible. Edit: hey look, he posted the second I did, hi Toad

It's a banger. Definitely hanging onto it as a backlog machine. No interest in playing "active" games like Doom or Dark Souls but it's fantastic for catching up on some old RPGs on the couch.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I got one 256gb. Amazing device... only used it like 3 times though...
I find myself just not using it but it is lovely.

I got one 256gb. Amazing device... only used it like 3 times though...
I find myself just not using it but it is lovely.
I'm exactly the same (except 512) - I thought it would be a revolution when I'm travelling, which I do a lot, but so far I've just been carrying it around the world without even turning the fucker on!

I don't think I've used it for more than a couple of hours since I got it - not sure why.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm exactly the same (except 512) - I thought it would be a revolution when I'm travelling, which I do a lot, but so far I've just been carrying it around the world without even turning the fucker on!

I don't think I've used it for more than a couple of hours since I got it - not sure why.
I played some turok and older games on it but only in first few days on a couch.
I find the complicated games with fancy graphics have too small elements on the screen and are too busy to play on a handheld.
And with ps5 and 3080 on Oled in the same room... this thing is waiting only for a time I will be sick.

Guess my 8yo nephew is getting a gift from santa this year

VGEsoterica

Thanks for the vid. I'm going to delve into Emulation next.
I'm still trying to get Dual Boot into Windows. I didn't like OS on SD card method and had to start over. So far most of the Epic Game store games 'work' on Steam Deck with the shader studder issue. Lot's of work arounds to fix that but nothing as good as the main Steam OS way.
This Emudeck looks like it will be a good easy and SUPPORTED by community way to get old things up and running.
yes so far the support seems to be solid and I doubt that will change any time soon

Can you plug it into a monitor and use it for word processing?

Can you use it like a portable pc and view YouTube on it and do banking through a browser?

My laptop broke and I was about to buy an iPad to replace it… didn’t even think of a steam deck until I saw this thread.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Love mine, got it a few weeks ago and have only been playing with it ever since.

It's great for older games, indies and emulation.

Can you plug it into a monitor and use it for word processing?

Can you use it like a portable pc and view YouTube on it and do banking through a browser?

My laptop broke and I was about to buy an iPad to replace it… didn’t even think of a steam deck until I saw this thread.
You can load Windows on it and do all that and more. I'm still looking for a Steam OS broweser that has Ad blocking for Youtube.

lachesis

I used it to play Trails from Zero during my 14 hour flights back and forth from Asia just a couple days ago.
I really like it, but it's pretty big and heavy for extended use... but for what it does and at that price range, I really think it's a great deal.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Bought it, played for a week, sent it back. Too big, too expensive + I really don't have time.

Beechos

I got it just like you, because i always buy new shiny things tech wise.

To be honest ive barely used it so far lol. Not enought time avail to game in my life and the times that i do ive had some frsutrating issues with launching games that are deck verified along with the deck crashing, system bugs, freezing, cant login to steam, etc.

ViolentP

I've had one since launch and was a bit turned off by its instability at the time. I ended up putting it away for a few months. Just recently though I decided to bring it out and start messing with it again and am enjoying it much more now.

Kupfer

I have no interest in 1 hour and 30 min battery life devices.

I have a PC and console and when im away from them id rather not play games.
Tired of this. For all those who do not just parrot this gibberish and want to make their own picture:
Completely depends on your own usage behavior. The device has a 40Whr battery installed and depending on the program, game and settings, my Deck consumes between 7watts and 22watts while playing games.
The calculation should not be too difficult.
I get about 6 hours with games that don't demand much from the hardware, and about 2 hours with games that stress the Deck to the max.
But you can optimize so much that you're never actually forced to be really close to 2 hours. Even modern games can be scaled so much that you get more playtime out of them.
If you expect a device that can play modern AAA games in 4k with ultra details for 10 hours straight, you won't be happy with the Deck.
You can experiment a lot with the device and optimize it. It's almost as much fun as the game itself :)
Dare to play around with clock rates, plugins, hz and fps until you get the best out of the Deck for your purposes.

Last edited:

Akuji

Have one, loved playing around with it for 2 days.
Analog sticks SUCKED for me. Instantly bought the after marked ones everyone is talking about. Improved it much.
Was impressed with how well Doom 2016 run on it and played.

Then stopped.
Does someone know a good Yuzu tutorial on the deck?

gothmog

Gold Member
I've had one for about 3 months. I have mostly played Vampire Survivors and Hollow Knight on it. I am not sure who it is for. Text heavy PC games I just can't read on that screen which is a disappointment. I was hoping to be able to play a lot of Factorio but it is too frustrating.

I do love emulation and the whole concept of being able to tinker with it. I don't regret the purchase, but I wish I wanted to use it more.

Got one of the first 512Gb ones, fantastic piece of hardware. Both for modern and old school games. Got a nice batocera image on an sd card with all kinds of emulators and roms plus a coinops build with a ton of arcade roms too.
Love it and whenever Valve releases a 2.0 model i'm all over it, assuming we get some RDNA3 APU with it :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I have no interest in 1 hour and 30 min battery life devices.

I have a PC and console and when im away from them id rather not play games.

What is this bullshit?! You don't play games away from your PC, fine, but geez don't bother opening your cake-hole if nothing but misinformation spews out.

I mostly use mine for retro stuff. I'll play modern stuff that's 3-5 years old because I can typically drive it to 40-60 fps. Right now I'm playing through Ace Combat X (PSP) and Yakuza Kiwami 2.

It's an amazing machine. I've owned a lot of handheld systems going all the way back to the GameBoy/Game Gear days and the Steam Deck is amazing. We're finally at this place where we can play amazing games portability with very little compromise in asset quality and framerate.

Last edited:

Croga

Installed every emulator I wanted on through Emudeck as soon as I got my mine a few months back.

It's probably my most played system lately. I've a backlog of old PS2 JRPGs a mile long I am getting through that run perfectly. Playing through Front Mission 5 at the moment.

Can't fault it, probably one of my favorite systems I've ever owned.

tmlDan

What is this bullshit?! You don't play games away from your PC, fine, but geez don't bother opening your cake-hole if nothing but misinformation spews out.
1Dc1Wwo.png

Akuji

as someone who got the 64gb one i would say THAT is the only one worth getting ^^
You'll need an extra SD card.

Chukhopops

I have one and I love it although I barely use it for emulation, it’s my roguelite machine which I also use to play old 4X games.

I still think it’s too big for a daily commute and use the Pocket or Switch instead for that.

Are the top tier Steam Decks the only ones worth getting? Or will the base one be fine?

I wouldn’t buy the 64gb one, even 256 you run out of space quickly imo.

Paasei

Bought mine intentionally for emulation and lot invest more in “small” games such and many indies. So far I’m still doing just that and I’m loving it.

Right now I’m mostly playing PS2 games together with Hades, Vampire Survivors and soon Disco Elysium.

Mostly they are games I can just pick up and play. We don’t see these that much anymore from the big studios/publishers, which is a shame. I just really play games on this device.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Are the top tier Steam Decks the only ones worth getting? Or will the base one be fine?

Base is fine if you buy a big SD card. It all depends on your library, since a lot of AAA games are bloated and too big for the internal SSD.

256 model is ideal if you don't want to open and replace the SSD yourself and don't mind wasting a little bit of extra money for it. Storing and running games from the SD card isn't really an issue when it comes to speed or performance. If your SD card is a pure trash slow/cheap brand and ever fails on you, it's good to have more internal SSD storage.

I have one and it's an absolute nightmare. I spend more time fiddling with settings to try to get games to work than actually playing anything. Makes me remember why I hate PC gaming, only it's Linux so it's even worse.

Top Bottom