• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play - Thursday 8/6 at 1:00pm PT - NO BIG PS5 ANNOUNCEMENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Pretty much. Feels like Sony is hellbent on not talking about Price until Microsoft does. Not sure what to make of it. Hmm definitely feels like we will not be seeing a 399 box from PS. If we were they would have said something by now.

I have to imagine they are more interested in what Lockhart will be priced VS Series X at this point.

REE Machine

Banned
No price
No release date
No PS5 announcements

And we are 4 months away from launch.

Arragont and overconfident Sony is back baby!
More like smart and calculated, they know they dont need to release it yet. Anytime sony has an event the worlds stops to watch, microsoft doesnt have near the mind share of them yet and are still trying to work towards it.

This is the same company that tweeted their bought insomniac when xbox was having an event or major game release, they know what they are doing.

Vawn

Banned
Guess that means we will get Series X price first.

I doubt it. Sony talking about upcoming PS4 stuff has no bearing on them showing PS5 stuff in a separate event.

Sony always supports their (home) consoles the entire generation. It is a reason why we see games like The Last of Us, Puppeteer and Ghost of Tsushima.

Vawn

Banned
I’d say it’s more the actions of a Sony worried about a launch delay, myself...

Maybe... but nothings actually officially been released, has it? We have no official indication of price, launch date or launch line up.

All seems very, very late to me 🤔

Yeah, neither Sony or MS want to show their hand first. That's become very evident.

Ultimately, I believe PS5 will be revealed first, simply because they can as they are in the position of power.

scydrex

This is the worst next gen reveal so far from both companies. I will not buy new games for PS4. Holding out on RDR2, GOT, Cyberpunk and all the AAA games to play it on PS5 when there is an update for PS5. When they are gonna give new info of the PS5? When it launches? God dammit Sony. Awful reveal so far.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I’d say it’s more the actions of a Sony worried about a launch delay, myself...
All seems very, very late to me 🤔
While it's possible, we have so many theories constantly said with every passing day, event, or stream.
Mostly the following:
• They're waiting to see if MS will go first
• Supply/production issue related, possibly related to Hardware failures/Yield issues
• Sony has a plan and they're sticking with it. They know what they're doing, .. it's not their first console launch

Could be anything really. I don't even know if we'll ever know, or if at the next console-gen there will be a movie streaming which includes the real reasons for this.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I doubt it. Sony talking about upcoming PS4 stuff has no bearing on them showing PS5 stuff in a separate event.

Sony always supports their (home) consoles the entire generation. It is a reason why we see games like The Last of Us, Puppeteer and Ghost of Tsushima.

OK...and? Whats this have to do with Xbox showing their price?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah, neither Sony or MS want to show their hand first. That's become very evident.

Ultimately, I believe PS5 will be revealed first, simply because they can as they are in the position of power.

I think Microsoft will do it first because they have a cheaper device they can relay on. Not the case with Sony and they want to know how hard they can lower the Digital Version price without losing too much. That depends on Microsoft.

kretos

Banned
No big PS5 announcements

tenor.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member

And I’m starting to wonder why this is going on so long. We’d all like to think it’s some great Machiavellian game of chess being played between the two companies, but with the coronavirus not going anywhere, I’m more minded to think that the later we hear nothing, the more likely launch delays are going to be. I know they’ve both said Covid hasn’t delayed launch, but that was weeks ago, and the situation keeps changing all the time.

We might have to start thinking about a delay for Ps5 being a real possibility, if more weeks go by with no concrete information.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And I’m starting to wonder why this is going on so long. We’d all like to think it’s some great Machiavellian game of chess being played between the two companies, but with the coronavirus not going anywhere, I’m more minded to think that the later we hear nothing, the more likely launch delays are going to be. I know they’ve both said Covid hasn’t delayed launch, but that was weeks ago, and the situation keeps changing all the time.

We might have to start thinking about a delay for Ps5 being a real possibility, if more weeks go by with no concrete information.

Id take a ban bet on the PS5 not being delayed.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Id take a ban bet on the PS5 not being delayed.

Really? What makes you so confident, in the middle of a global pandemic that’s not going anywhere, and at a time when major companies are constantly having to adjust their business strategies to compensate for ongoing logistical problems caused by the virus?

Dee_Dee

Really? What makes you so confident, in the middle of a global pandemic that’s not going anywhere, and at a time when major companies are constantly having to adjust their business strategies to compensate for ongoing logistical problems caused by the virus?
Didn’t they recently double their production of PS5s? Why would they do that if it was going to be delayed?

JonnyMP3

So is the concensus that neither company is going to blink first and everyone will just have a drone delivery straight into their living rooms?
And then everyone will be debited a mysterious sum 3-4 working days later.

Arkam

Could be a decent CyberPunk feature, as one example of a big upcoming PS4 game.

Anything featured will be PS5 BC... so....
UNtil I see the details on the BC I am not gonna get too excited or expect much. CP though has officially stated it will get "free" pS5 update. Would be great to see that... but sounds like not at this event.

NickFire

They are playing coy. No big announcement means they are announcing a small MSRP for PS5.

A guy can hope still right?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Didn’t they recently double their production of PS5s? Why would they do that if it was going to be delayed?

Because, as I say, coronavirus is a constantly changing situation, and things can change. The increase in production sounds like a wise move, but if anything, making more Ps5s could add to the notion that it could be delayed, as it takes longer to make them.

Im not saying it’s a definitive, or even likely, but the more time that goes by, and the more we hear nothing concrete, the more a delay starts to look likely.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
See how they temper expectations when they know they don't have anything to announce right now?

Are you paying ATTENTION CRAIG?

Sorry I'm still butthurt over Halo.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

LOL I can see XSX being more likely to be delayed than PS5.
It's been a trainweck!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Because they will have systems ready to go by December at the latest. Even if it isn't the full order they promised/were promised, they will have some PS5s ready to go and they will not want to give up the holiday season to Microsoft. Even during a pandemic its been shown Gaming is pretty safe and people will want to buy something with those unemployment benefits.

Plus we saw even when the PS3 had shortages and Sony knew they wouldn't have nearly enough they still released it.

makaveli60

Wtf why are they one-upping each other with MS being more and more disappointing. We should be playing on these nextgen consoles in 3-4 months. Why don't they try to sell them?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Because they will have systems ready to go by December at the latest. Even if it isn't the full order they promised/were promised, they will have some PS5s ready to go and they will not want to give up the holiday season to Microsoft. Even during a pandemic its been shown Gaming is pretty safe and people will want to buy something with those unemployment benefits.

Plus we saw even when the PS3 had shortages and Sony knew they wouldn't have nearly enough they still released it.

Any coronavirus delay that Sony could have would probably also apply to Microsoft.

And I’m sure they have constant conversations with one another about the ongoing viability of their production lines and distribution routes.

Yes, gaming has been largely unaffected by Covid... as far as gamers are concerned, but you’d better believe production and distribution has been affected by it.

I‘d say both companies are looking carefully at the USA’s soaring coronavirus rates, and if it means distribution is badly affected, there will be a delay.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Any coronavirus delay that Sony could have would probably also apply to Microsoft.

And I’m sure they have constant conversations with one another about the ongoing viability of their production lines and distribution routes.

Yes, gaming has been largely unaffected by Covid... as far as gamers are concerned, but you’d better believe production and distribution has been affected by it.

I‘d say both companies are looking carefully at the USA’s soaring coronavirus rates, and if it means distribution is badly affected, there will be a delay.

Never said it wasn't affected. Both have started production already, and like I said, there will be some available even if its not the full order. We already have seen PS5's coming off the line. They are being made.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
"we believe in generations" then release an update about the previous generation games 3 months before the new generation hardware launch.

giphy.gif

Pretty much. Feels like Sony is hellbent on not talking about Price until Microsoft does. Not sure what to make of it. Hmm definitely feels like we will not be seeing a 399 box from PS. If we were they would have said something by now.

$549 Physicial
$499 Digital is my bet.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Never said it wasn't affected. Both have started production already, and like I said, there will be some available even if its not the full order. We already have seen PS5's coming off the line. They are being made.

Yep. Certainly being made. It’s the distribution that might be the problem. If there’s no one to drive the trucks because of covid restrictions, then the consoles will get delayed. Both Sony and Microsoft will be very nervous right now, watching escalating covid rates!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep. Certainly being made. It’s the distribution that might be the problem. If there’s no one to drive the trucks because of covid restrictions, then the consoles will get delayed. Both Sony and Microsoft will be very nervous right now, watching escalating covid rates!

Most places are opening up and not shutting down in the USA even with the rising rates. The exception is not moving forward with plans to reopen not the other way around.

hemo memo

Gold Member

The Covid19 situation around the world is not as bad as the US. Hopefully Sony realize that.

DonF

This information drip is killing me!! It wasnt like this the previous gen, whats the strategy?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom