• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Started Live a Live for the first time and I love it

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's the first time I ever played it, I'm playing the Switch remaster. My playthrough with it started off a little bumpy. I started off in the Prehistoric chapter and IMO that was the worst one to start with because it was the most boring. So I almost quit. Lucky I didn't because once I pushed through I'm loving it, it's the best JRPG I've played in a while. The combat system is pretty elaborate for something that was around back in the 90's. Area of effect attacks, moving enemies around, passing on turns, etc. You see this a lot in modern JRPGs, it was ahead of its time. There's a decent amount of strategy to every fight. No random encounters sans a couple chapters, which is always a breath of fresh air.

WHat I love most is how each chapter is so unique. I absolutely love the Edo Japan chapter, and I found myself loving the Near Future chapter. It was really unique. Felt like Earthbound or something with the modern city and the layout of the overworld. And the Distant Future chapter was a little boring at times as it had almost no combat, but the story was awesome. It felt like an ode to Alien or something. I'm stunned they had something that interesting in a game like this.

I'm currently in the Middle Ages chapter(chapter 7) so I think I'm almost done the game. By far the best RPG I've played this year.

Further evidence that "old school RPG magic" isn't purely nostalgia and is quite often gamers pining for great games.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Live a Live is the game I really wished Octopath took inspiration from. Choice of several protagonists? Make a bunch of really unique scenarios that are atypical for a JRPG, then have them all tie together in a final scenario. It was a really cool idea and I’m sad nobody else has done something like this before or since that I can think of.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Live a Live is the game I really wished Octopath took inspiration from. Choice of several protagonists? Make a bunch of really unique scenarios that are atypical for a JRPG, then have them all tie together in a final scenario. It was a really cool idea and I’m sad nobody else has done something like this before or since that I can think of.
The distant future chapter felt like a story driven indie title and I mean that as a positive. Definitely felt like it was something out of the Alien franchise.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Live A Live is in my top 10 jrpg list, easily.

What a shame it took so long to leave Japan, but I can't complain about the quality of this remake.
It's superb.

Last edited:

Power Pro

This was easily one of my favorite games of the year it came out on Switch. Never knew about the original Super Famicom version, which made it more impressive with what they did. It's what I wish Octopath Traveler games were like. Those games are soooo boring in comparison, and they do such a poor job at doing the multiple protagonist thing, where as this game does it beautifully.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The distant future chapter felt like a story driven indie title and I mean that as a positive. Definitely felt like it was something out of the Alien franchise.
Yeah! It was definitely heavily inspired by Alien + 2001:A Space Odyssey. It was a really fresh and unique setting for a JRPG.

It was so cool how every scenario tried something different and weird. One where cavemen communicate non verbally, one where you can read people’s minds, one where you can use stealth and make it through without fighting anyone, one that’s almost more visual novel than JRPG, etc.

It's the first time I ever played it, I'm playing the Switch remaster. My playthrough with it started off a little bumpy. I started off in the Prehistoric chapter and IMO that was the worst one to start with because it was the most boring. So I almost quit. Lucky I didn't because once I pushed through I'm loving it, it's the best JRPG I've played in a while. The combat system is pretty elaborate for something that was around back in the 90's. Area of effect attacks, moving enemies around, passing on turns, etc. You see this a lot in modern JRPGs, it was ahead of its time. There's a decent amount of strategy to every fight. No random encounters sans a couple chapters, which is always a breath of fresh air.

WHat I love most is how each chapter is so unique. I absolutely love the Edo Japan chapter, and I found myself loving the Near Future chapter. It was really unique. Felt like Earthbound or something with the modern city and the layout of the overworld. And the Distant Future chapter was a little boring at times as it had almost no combat, but the story was awesome. It felt like an ode to Alien or something. I'm stunned they had something that interesting in a game like this.

I'm currently in the Middle Ages chapter(chapter 7) so I think I'm almost done the game. By far the best RPG I've played this year.

Further evidence that "old school RPG magic" isn't purely nostalgia and is quite often gamers pining for great games.

This game came out of nowhere for me. I absolutely loved it. Use a guide to get the best ending. It's worth it

The battle system especially is great

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I've been meaning to pick this up.
giphy.gif

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

I started there too. It was.....different.

Top Bottom