• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Scheduled for Late 2021 Launch, Barring COVID-Related Delays

jakinov

Well now things are really getting mixed around because you are jumping not only to different studios but even jumping from gameplay (which I was referencing in my original post) to announcements.

Also everything you referenced were part of established franchises.

There are a lot of variables in play here and that didn't even take into account the broader climate, which includes the pandemic and recent acquisition.

I'm still skeptical of any game dropping without any massive media push that includes gameplay in just a handful of months, but it could happen.

Maybe they have to take into account the loss of sales from being platform restricted and forced onto gamepass and will scale the effort way back. Who can say? It's all speculation until the company confirms, even if there are "insiders" and journos spouting off.
The studios itself don't decide the marketing plan, the publisher that owns them all does which Bethesda Softworks who normally announces and reveals gameplay for the first time at their marketing events (usually at the Bethesda E3 Press conference). I'm "jumping" from gameplay and announcements because in a lot of cases they are the same thing and other times the announcements are essentially just announcements. Like Starfield. And like Doom Etenral, where they are there for a quick tease to let people know that its coming but they don't do the heavy marketing (trailers, gameplay reveals) until again near release. Even for new IP if we look at Deathloop and Ghostwire; one was announced a little earlier but you don't get any of the real marketing content until again months before release (in this case, anticipated release which was late 2020).

All you need is a handful of months. The logic behind doing condensed and "late" marketing is so that it stays relevant in the more casual players minds. Regular people who don't frequent gaming message boards but who play "hardcore" games probably aren't going to remember about some game they saw a year ago. But they will remember the condensed and heavy marketing that's happening in the last x months or weeks; and can actually remember and be able to buy it. It's a trend elsewhere too in movies, TV shows and electronics.

Last edited:

NickFire

If MS said this publicly, I would find it unlikely since everything keeps getting delayed, but I would believe its possible. Anything short of an official announcement just sounds like click bait to me.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The studios itself don't decide the marketing plan, the publisher that owns them all does which Bethesda Softworks who normally announces and reveals gameplay for the first time at their marketing events (usually at the Bethesda E3 Press conference). I'm "jumping" from gameplay and announcements because in a lot of cases they are the same thing and other times the announcements are essentially just announcements. Like Starfield. And like Doom Etenral, where they are there for a quick tease to let people know that its coming but they don't do the heavy marketing (trailers, gameplay reveals) until again near release. Even for new IP if we look at Deathloop and Ghostwire; one was announced a little earlier but you don't get any of the real marketing content until again months before release (in this case, anticipated release which was late 2020).

All you need is a handful of months. The logic behind doing condensed and "late" marketing is so that it stays relevant in the more casual players minds. Regular people who don't frequent gaming message boards but who play "hardcore" games probably aren't going to remember about some game they saw a year ago. But they will remember the condensed and heavy marketing that's happening in the last x months or weeks; and can actually remember and be able to buy it. It's a trend elsewhere too in movies, TV shows and electronics.
So by your logic Elder Scrolls 7 should be about the same time as Starfield; both were announced at the same event.

I obviously see you're a latched onto this and won't let it go. I guess it's not worth even trying to help you see the jumps in your reasoning. As I said before, I look forward to being wrong when the company has an official announcement or even better when the game(s) actually hit the street.

jakinov

So by your logic Elder Scrolls 7 should be about the same time as Starfield; both were announced at the same event.

I obviously see you're a latched onto this and won't let it go. I guess it's not worth even trying to help you see the jumps in your reasoning. As I said before, I look forward to being wrong when the company has an official announcement or even better when the game(s) actually hit the street.
No? I'm not sure how you got to that. All I'm saying is that Bethesda (and many companies) have a track record of showing the real meat of a game very close to release (or at least planned release. I've said nothing about predicting release dates.

If a game is planned to come out this year expect a bunch of marketing content months before. If ES7 is supposed to come out 3 years expect media to start coming out in 2.5 years.

This is what you originally said "So... No real trailers but it's definitely coming out in 8 months?" The point I'm making is Bethesda Softworks (the publisher) has a history of making real trailers (with gameplay and things from an actual game) for their games 4-6 months before a game comes out. And I've given multiple examples of that. You are basically saying that it's not going to come out because they showed nothing and we're 8 months out from the end of the year. But what I'm saying is, yeah, that's what they do in the past.

kingpotato

No? I'm not sure how you got to that. All I'm saying is that Bethesda (and many companies) have a track record of showing the real meat of a game very close to release (or at least planned release. I've said nothing about predicting release dates.

If a game is planned to come out this year expect a bunch of marketing content months before. If ES7 is supposed to come out 3 years expect media to start coming out in 2.5 years.

This is what you originally said "So... No real trailers but it's definitely coming out in 8 months?" The point I'm making is Bethesda Softworks (the publisher) has a history of making real trailers (with gameplay and things from an actual game) for their games 4-6 months before a game comes out. And I've given multiple examples of that. You are basically saying that it's not going to come out because they showed nothing and we're 8 months out from the end of the year. But what I'm saying is, yeah, that's what they do in the past.

Ghostwire: Tokyo - gameplay trailer June 2020 release October 2021? - 16 months
Deathloop - gameplay trailer - June 2020 release May 2021? - 11 months
Doom Eternal - gameplay trailer Aug 2018 release Mar 2020 - 19 months
Wolfenstein Young blood - gameplay trailer Mar 2019 release July 2019 - 4 months
Rage 2 - gameplay trailer May 2018 release May 2019 - 12 months
Fallout 76 - gameplay trailer June 2018 release Nov 2018 - 5 months
Wolfenstein 2 - gameplay trailer June 2017 release Oct 2017 - 4 months
Evil within 2 - gameplay trailer June 2017 release Oct 2017 - 4 months
Prey - gameplay trailer Aug 2016 release May 2017 - 9 months
Dishonored 2 - gameplay trailer June 2016 release Nov 2016 - 5 months
Doom - gameplay trailer June 2015 release May 2016 - 11 months
Fallout 4 - gameplay trailer June 2015 release Nov 2015 - 5 months
Evil Within - gameplay trailer Apr 2014 release Oct 2014 - 6 months
Getting into several gens back if I keep going.

It seems pretty obvious that the pandemic has been having an effect on the timeline of releases.
There are a lot of variables in play here and that didn't even take into account the broader climate, which includes the pandemic and recent acquisition.

I've already said several times it would be awesome if this game comes out this year. I don't understand what the problem is.

jakinov

Ghostwire: Tokyo - gameplay trailer June 2020 release October 2021? - 16 months
Deathloop - gameplay trailer - June 2020 release May 2021? - 11 months
Doom Eternal - gameplay trailer Aug 2018 release Mar 2020 - 19 months
Wolfenstein Young blood - gameplay trailer Mar 2019 release July 2019 - 4 months
Rage 2 - gameplay trailer May 2018 release May 2019 - 12 months
Fallout 76 - gameplay trailer June 2018 release Nov 2018 - 5 months
Wolfenstein 2 - gameplay trailer June 2017 release Oct 2017 - 4 months
Evil within 2 - gameplay trailer June 2017 release Oct 2017 - 4 months
Prey - gameplay trailer Aug 2016 release May 2017 - 9 months
Dishonored 2 - gameplay trailer June 2016 release Nov 2016 - 5 months
Doom - gameplay trailer June 2015 release May 2016 - 11 months
Fallout 4 - gameplay trailer June 2015 release Nov 2015 - 5 months
Evil Within - gameplay trailer Apr 2014 release Oct 2014 - 6 months
Getting into several gens back if I keep going.

It seems pretty obvious that the pandemic has been having an effect on the timeline of releases.

I've already said several times it would be awesome if this game comes out this year. I don't understand what the problem is.
Covid does have a big impact. You have to account for delays too, for example. Ghostwire and Deathloop were supposed to come out last year. Rage 2 had their trailer leak and walmart listing leak it so they revealed it earlier despite having a marketing event a month away. Doom Eternal was delayed at one point and was seemingly very behind in reaching deadlines as they apparently spent a lot of their development time in crunch mode.

I'm not sure what you are quoting but the "problem" that caused the argument was just the reasoning that because they haven't shown anything that it's not likely to come out. I don't know if it'll come out this year or whatever I just think just because you haven't seen anything doesn't mean it can't be shown at E3 and then release at the end of the year. Especially with Bethesda's history of revealing things close to when they plan to release. I don't care when it comes out, I probably won't buy it, I just disagree with the logic from your original post.

reinking

Gold Member
giphy.gif

kingpotato

Covid does have a big impact. You have to account for delays too, for example. Ghostwire and Deathloop were supposed to come out last year. Rage 2 had their trailer leak and walmart listing leak it so they revealed it earlier despite having a marketing event a month away. Doom Eternal was delayed at one point and was seemingly very behind in reaching deadlines as they apparently spent a lot of their development time in crunch mode.

I'm not sure what you are quoting but the "problem" that caused the argument was just the reasoning that because they haven't shown anything that it's not likely to come out. I don't know if it'll come out this year or whatever I just think just because you haven't seen anything doesn't mean it can't be shown at E3 and then release at the end of the year. Especially with Bethesda's history of revealing things close to when they plan to release. I don't care when it comes out, I probably won't buy it, I just disagree with the logic from your original post.
I didn't think we were having an argument and I also still believe that a brand new ip published by Bethesda (or whoever) around the pandemic timeframe will have a gameplay trailer more than 6 months before it's release.

Feel free to gloat to your neighbor about how right you are and how wrong the stranger on the internet is.

jakinov

I didn't think we were having an argument and I also still believe that a brand new ip published by Bethesda (or whoever) around the pandemic timeframe will have a gameplay trailer more than 6 months before it's release.

Feel free to gloat to your neighbor about how right you are and how wrong the stranger on the internet is.
I already screenshotted and posted on Facebook, Twitter and instagram.

whattheduck

Banned
Whenever this comes out, it would be great to see Bethesda have a victory for once. Fallout 4 was mediocre. Fallout 76 was broken and a niche entity now, after so much patching. And by the end of this year, that would have been their output for the last 8 damn years.

So I hope Starfield is as compelling and interesting as the old TES games were. It's about time we had a great new RPG franchise to delve into from those guys, especially after the mess of Cyberpunk last year.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everyone knows Starfield is built on their existing game engine.

I can live with awesome scale and some jankiness.

But I'm hoping at least the UI/character interactions are done so it looks different. ES and Fallout dialogue and map/compass etc.... are so similar you can tell it's basically a reskinning.

Something unrecognizable on the surface please, even if the nuts and bolts are a tweaked game engine.

Everyone knows Starfield is built on their existing game engine.

I can live with awesome scale and some jankiness.

But I'm hoping at least the UI/character interactions are done so it looks different. ES and Fallout dialogue and map/compass etc.... are so similar you can tell it's basically a reskinning.

Something unrecognizable on the surface please, even if the nuts and bolts are a tweaked game engine.

The engine has gotten a big overhaul. There is a website where the company who helped rebuild the upgraded engine posted that they've assisted Bethesda with Starfield. I need to find it. There's also a new animation system.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The engine has gotten a big overhaul. There is a website where the company who helped rebuild the upgraded engine posted that they've assisted Bethesda with Starfield. I need to find it. There's also a new animation system.
I seriously hope, like every time they say it, that it is the case, but they have said it before.

Then again their games have always had very unique, expansive, and very dynamic open worlds quite unlike the others and there is a price you pay for that.

Ellery

Would be awesome to at least see the game. Bethesda usually has been very good with announcing release dates and then actually releasing games that year. They did the same with Skyrim, The Evil Within and many other games iirc, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high and would prefer a more polished game if it means 2022 instead of 2021.

reksveks

The last emote confuses me, it would be simple to say Dragon Quest but not sure if it's underwhelming or a bigger deal than timed exclusivity

Ignore me, you said he said it was a brand new thing.

Last edited:

TheMan

Forza 5 in Mexico?? I’m down
Also, I’m feeling skeptical about Starfield launching that soon.

Last edited:
So Forza Horizon 5 set in Mexico, Starfield, Halo Infinite but the last one... ?
I interpret the last one as The Elder Scrolls VI. 2023 seems a bit early though, maybe that's why the question mark exists.

EDIT: Wait, he said it's an entirely new thing. So no clue.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
For what its worth, yesterday a resetera "verified" concept artist for some game studio said Starfield wont be 2021 and that Jez is a lying hype man, or something to that effect. Time will tell...

Metnut

Hopefully it’s better than Fallout76. Will check it out at some point but need to wait at least 9 months post-release for a bug Bethesda game to be in good shape.

Since this has been in development for a while, my old 1070 should be more than fine.

Clover904

That may have been the plan, but I think Cyberpunk 2077 was a warning shot heard around the industry. DO NOT RELEASE PATCH-DEPEDENT, BUG FILLED GAMES. And, unfortunately, bethesda developed games have had a history of this. Though they release beloved games that do get better and better with each patch, the industry and the consumers are at attention, ready to call foul on the next guilty party that releases an unfinished game.

Whatever the release plan was, I sense an internal delay.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Would they want to release Starfield that close to Halo Infinate? Isn't Halo coming out in November?

Dabaus

Banned
Would they want to release Starfield that close to Halo Infinate? Isn't Halo coming out in November?
Theyll announce it for 2021 release to build hype around xbox...until it gets delayed. Why would you dump your arguably 2 biggest games back to back in the same year and have nothing until fable or prefect dark or whatever is available years later? Especially when console availability is limited.

I seriously hope, like every time they say it, that it is the case, but they have said it before.

Then again their games have always had very unique, expansive, and very dynamic open worlds quite unlike the others and there is a price you pay for that.

There's an internet post by a team that goes into more detail about what kinds of changes were made. Photogrammetry is in, a whole new renderer was written and a few other things. They're a major support studio by the looks of things. Many different studios and publishers have used them. Shit, if only i could find it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Theyll announce it for 2021 release to build hype around xbox...until it gets delayed. Why would you dump your arguably 2 biggest games back to back in the same year and have nothing until fable or prefect dark or whatever is available years later? Especially when console availability is limited.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Plus we all know Starfield will be buggy at launch. Just delay it until March 2022.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You will probably have a number of bethesda games in 2022 including deathloop, I assume a new wolfenstein. I think you are also getting Project mara as well and Forza Motorsport
But Starfield is Bethesda Game Studios....not the publisher Bethesda. Forza is MS

Top Bottom