• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Scheduled for Late 2021 Launch, Barring COVID-Related Delays

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

GamesBeat journalist Jeff Grubb recently said during a Dealer Gaming stream that the plan for Bethesda is to follow a marketing and launch cycle for Starfield similar to that of Fallout 4. According to Grubb, there’s a 90% likelihood that the game’s going to be unveiled in full at E3, and then will launch later in the year itself. He says that that’s what Bethesda has planned right now, barring any COVID-related delays and hurdles, of course.

Other insiders have also recently suggested that launching Starfield in late 2021 is part of Bethesda’s plan, with COVID being the only potential complication.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm taking the impression that nothing of note will be released this year honestly. This will be great gaming drought of 2020-21.

Hope I'm wrong but at least my expectation will be in check.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Wasn't this already expected? Or at least most people have thought it would be a late 2021/ early 2022 release.

I still think TES6 will be released in 2025.

Last edited:

Starfield

Well hello, Starfield. Feeling like releasing this year?
286.jpg

EDMIX

Yea, I don't want it coming out this year and don't feel its going to come out this year.

Take your fucking time. We know many things have been set back cause the Rona and I don't want this game ruined because of that.

E eastcoastkody exactly and they are saying "fallout 4" style launch? You mean the game where we literally had ZERO information on it the first half of the year of its release? Naw, they already failed cause clearly we fucking know of Starfield.

Last edited:

Metnut

Looking forward to check it out at some point. Don’t trust Bethesda on anywhere near Day 1 given previous fiascos.

Clearly, since this game has been in development so long, they’ve put a ton of work into PS4 and PS5 versions. Will be interesting to see Microsoft makes them dump and the work on these games never sees the light of the day.

EDMIX

Fallout 4 was first revealed at E3, and launched later in the year. Thats how Todd does it for the games he's involved in.

I mean....I don't disagree with you, but that can't really apply to Starfield and imho shouldn't and can't.

First, the game has already been revealed....we know it exist, we didn't know that for YEARS about Fallout 4, we only heard rumors, nothing was ever confirmed from Bethesda officially until their first reveal trailer at E3.
Second, its a new IP, I expect they want to have the name out for a bit to allow people to wonder about it as I feel that can help a lot with a new property.

Consider it being a new IP means they are still creating concepts in it and it very well can be delayed, where as a 4th fallout game can have a ironclad release date cause its building on established ideas.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Looking forward to check it out at some point. Don’t trust Bethesda on anywhere near Day 1 given previous fiascos.

Clearly, since this game has been in development so long, they’ve put a ton of work into PS4 and PS5 versions. Will be interesting to see Microsoft makes them dump and the work on these games never sees the light of the day.
Well first off, its a next gen only game. And secondly, they will be just working on the game itself at the moment, not different versions yet.

I mean....I don't disagree with you, but that can't really apply to Starfield and imho shouldn't and can't.

First, the game has already been revealed....we know it exist, we didn't know that for YEARS about Fallout 4, we only heard rumors, nothing was ever confirmed from Bethesda officially until their first reveal trailer at E3.
Second, its a new IP, I expect they want to have the name out for a bit to allow people to wonder about it as I feel that can help a lot with a new property.

Consider it being a new IP means they are still creating concepts in it and it very well can be delayed, where as a 4th fallout game can have a ironclad release date cause its building on established ideas.
Just slap a "From the makers of Fallout and Elder Scrolls series comes the future of RPGs" slogan and it will sell like hotcakes.

EDMIX

Well first off, its a next gen only game. And secondly, they will be just working on the game itself at the moment, not different versions yet.

yet? I'd assume for the last several years they've been working on both versions at the same time. Its not like we got Fallout 4 for XB, then PC, then PS4 or something weird like that. So I'd assume if they've been working on next gen and its coming out this year, I have a hard time believing they only had 1 version made or something.

Salty Popsicle Salty Popsicle lol ikr. I'm buying it day 1 if they just say its Elder Scrolls and or Fallout in space. Fly a ship to a empty ship (dungeon) to loot and kill stuff, find quest, go to planets etc. At least I hope its that.

Last edited:

Stuart360

When Microsoft first announced the Bethesda buy, and they had that 'roundtable' with Todd, Phil, etc, they were talking about Starfield, and how Todd likes to show his games at E3, and launch a few months later in fall. Todd says he doesnt like it when games get first revealed 3 or 4 years out, and you get the game at like 4 E3's in a row etc. He also said there may be big news coming sooner than people think with Starfield.

They plan these roundtable events, they dont say anything by mistake. IMO they were hinting at Starfield being fully revealed at E3, and a fall launch.
It may not happen because of Covid, but i think that is the plan.

Stuart360

yet? I'd assume for the last several years they've been working on both versions at the same time. Its not like we got Fallout 4 for XB, then PC, then PS4 or something weird like that. So I'd assume if they've been working on next gen and its coming out this year, I have a hard time believing they only had 1 version made or something.

Salty Popsicle Salty Popsicle lol ikr. I'm buying it day 1 if they just say its Elder Scrolls and or Fallout in space. Fly a ship to a empty ship (dungeon) to loot and kill stuff, find quest, go to planets etc. At least I hope its that.
Well they will be making the game for the target platform (probably PC), and then have small teams porting the game to different platforms. Hense why we always say 'i wonder what the target platform is?', or 'base platfrom', 'wonder what the lead platform is', etc.
They probably have some buggy rough version up for console now, but the majority of people will be working on the game itself. Its like we have had some cross gen games that have been relessed on 8 diferent platfroms, they dont work on 8 different versions of the game for 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Todd says he doesnt like it when games get first revealed 3 or 4 years out

I mean...look, I don't disagree with what Todd is saying, but that is literally how Starfield was revealed. So I do hope we get more news and it even comes out this year if nothing is wrong with development or anything.

I'm also not arguing that its cross gen, simply that if they already knew it was next gen, its very likely they were already working on those 3 platforms for years now.

Last edited:
I’ll bet a month of GAF Gold it gets delayed to 2022.

big spender right here, look out

Not because of the game or the studio, just because I have no faith in anything coming out on time this year

Stuart360

I mean...look, I don't disagree with what Todd is saying, but that is literally how Starfield was revealed. So I do hope we get more news and it even comes out this year if nothing is wrong with development or anything.

I'm also not arguing that its cross gen, simply that if they already knew it was next gen, its very likely they were already working on those 3 platforms for years now.
Starfield was announced already, with a 10sec teaser. When they say 'reveal' they mean when the game is first properly shown off to the world, like at E3, pics released, gameplay released. full trialer, release date, etc.

EDIT. I know EDMIX, i was just saying about there being cross gen games that have had upto 8 versions, and how thye are not constantly working on 8 versions at the same time. I know you werent saying that.
I mean you only have to look at Cyberpunk, and how 'the consoles would have no problem running the game', and the game launched near unplayable on console. It was obvious they ported to cosnole pretty late on.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Why would they be working on a PlayStation version for years. PC and in the case of Skyrim, Xbox are always the lead platforms for BGS games. If Xbox hadn't bought Bethesda they would just be porting the PC/Xbox game once it's finished to PS. I doubt that takes years and I doubt they will be porting it now.

EDMIX

Starfield was announced already, with a 10sec teaser. When they say 'reveal' they mean when the game is first properly shown off to the world, like at E3, pics released, gameplay released. full trialer, release date, etc.

Semitics doesn't really matter here, we saw the game, we have a name....

We didn't have info from them for years about Fallout 4. Its a massive difference, I'm ok with it btw cause I understand its a new IP, but really pretending the game was not revealed is just really splitting hairs. Its not like we are all just guessing on a game that might, could, maybe, possibly exist as a rumor.

We are talking about a confirmed game, with a teaser, name and all. They can reveal more, they can put out a demo, they can put out longer trailers, but they can't "unreveal" the game, we clearly know it exist....

So if I was Todd, I'd drop that BS with pretending now REVEAL means something else.

He was right the first time with Fallout 4.

No reason to then goalpost and backpaddle and pretend now a 4 min trailer is a "real" reveal and a 1 min trailer is not. They are both reveals..... the degree of information is irrelevant to even the term reveal.

Reveal - make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others.

They made its existence known, gave it a name, told us the genre etc
https://screenrant.com/starfield-single-player-bethesda-game-size-todd-howard/#:~:text=Starfield Is Single-Player Only, Will Be Biggest Bethesda Game Yet,-According to the&text=According to Bethesda Chief Software,its single-player RPG experience.

Even to argue they'll show more before release, is what the whole fucking industry does.... oh they'll show more stuff at E3 and release date and full trailer? ohhhh woooow we never got that with a game before /s lol
Ubisoft does this shit better, we didn't know of AC Valhalla until the year it released, no teaser, no info from Ubisoft officially or anything like that.

So imho, I'd rather Todd just say they'll have such a reveal and release next time like Fallout 4, then pretend they are doing something different by having a game revealed and years later showing another trailer.

Do like yea did with Fallout 4 and I'm fine, but lets not pretend Starfield is doing the same thing, I'd argue its doing what MOST of the industry does. Here is a teaser, here is a trailer and other info closer to release. That isn't new or anything like Fallout 4 though.

The Hamburglar The Hamburglar I fucking hope so lol, if its just Fallout and or Elder Scrolls in space.........day 1

Last edited:

Stuart360

Semitics doesn't really matter here, we saw the game, we have a name....

We didn't have info from them for years about Fallout 4. Its a massive difference, I'm ok with it btw cause I understand its a new IP, but really pretending the game was not revealed is just really splitting hairs. Its not like we are all just guessing on a game that might, could, maybe, possibly exist as a rumor.

We are talking about a confirmed game, with a teaser, name and all. They can reveal more, they can put out a demo, they can put out longer trailers, but they can't "unreveal" the game, we clearly know it exist....

So if I was Todd, I'd drop that BS with pretending now REVEAL means something else.

He was right the first time with Fallout 4.

No reason to then goalpost and backpaddle and pretend now a 4 min trailer is a "real" reveal and a 1 min trailer is not. They are both reveals..... the degree of information is irrelevant to even the term reveal.

Reveal - make (previously unknown or secret information) known to others.

They made its existence known, gave it a name, told us the genre etc
https://screenrant.com/starfield-single-player-bethesda-game-size-todd-howard/#:~:text=Starfield Is Single-Player Only, Will Be Biggest Bethesda Game Yet,-According to the&text=According to Bethesda Chief Software,its single-player RPG experience.

Even to argue they'll show more before release, is what the whole fucking industry does.... oh they'll show more stuff at E3 and release date and full trailer? ohhhh woooow we never got that with a game before /s lol
Ubisoft does this shit better, we didn't know of AC Valhalla until the year it released, no teaser, no info from Ubisoft officially or anything like that.

So imho, I'd rather Todd just say they'll have such a reveal and release next time like Fallout 4, then pretend they are doing something different by having a game revealed and years later showing another trailer.

Do like yea did with Fallout 4 and I'm fine, but lets not pretend Starfield is doing the same thing, I'd argue its doing what MOST of the industry does. Here is a teaser, here is a trailer and other info closer to release. That isn't new or anything like Fallout 4 though.

The Hamburglar The Hamburglar I fucking hope so lol, if its just Fallout and or Elder Scrolls in space.........day 1
Ok EDMIX. I dont really know why this is bothering you but its cool.
It will soon be E3 time anyway so we should know soon enough.

Freeman76

When did this start development? It doesnt seem more than 3 years since it was announced, and I cant see Bethesda producing an epic space rpg on the level of an ES game in that short space of time?

Starfield

When did this start development? It doesnt seem more than 3 years since it was announced, and I cant see Bethesda producing an epic space rpg on the level of an ES game in that short space of time?
Development began in 2016 after they completed all the Fallout 4 dlc. Full Production likely began in 2017-2018

(pre-production most likely started in 2013 though)

Last edited:

Greeno

Well... what we know is that it was in concept stage from atleast 2013 (trademark filings happened at the time), started actual development after Fallout 4's release (2015), had a slow down in development in mid-to-late 2018 (because of 76), and picked up in early 2019. They've been nearly working on the game for atleast 8 years now.

EDMIX

Ok EDMIX. I dont really know why this is bothering you but its cool.
It will soon be E3 time anyway so we should know soon enough.

I simply don't like the comparison to Fallout 4's reveal.

I get Todd likes those types of reveals, but lets first strive to actually have those type of reveals first. I can't see Sarsfield's reveal like their past titles as clearly its revealed.... I want them to do another reveal like Fallout 4 in the future, maybe with Fallout 5, New Vegas 2, Evil Within 3 etc, but I don't want Starfield to suddenly be how the now want to market the rest of their games as if its reveal is like what they did with Fallout 4. We may not even get a big E3 blow out if they really want to stick to a 6 month marketing window and it get delayed before that.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Can't wait to have meaningful conversations with every single npc on the game. Also every single line of dialogue will surely have a huge impact on the story. I'm just worried about police AI.

C'mon Todd show them how it's done

Last edited:

EDMIX

Development began in 2016 after they completed all the Fallout 4 dlc. Full Production likely began in 2017-2018

(pre-production most likely started in 2013 though)

Agreed, this could have been in development for quite some time in some form and we wouldn't really know. So I'm ok with a release this year if they are on track and nothing is wrong. I don't now if I can go on when a teaser is shown, as for all we know when that shit was made, they had years of development already.

ala Fallout 4

Stuart360

I simply don't like the comparison to Fallout 4's reveal.

I get Todd likes those types of reveals, but lets first strive to actually have those type of reveals first. I can't see Sarsfield's reveal like their past titles as clearly its revealed.... I want them to do another reveal like Fallout 4 in the future, maybe with Fallout 5, New Vegas 2, Evil Within 3 etc, but I don't want Starfield to suddenly be how the now want to market the rest of their games as if its reveal is like what they did with Fallout 4. We may not even get a big E3 blow out if they really want to stick to a 6 month marketing window and it get delayed before that.
I know at the time people were saying they decided to announce Starfield and Elder Scroll 6 like that at that E3 because of all the fallout (pun intended) from Fallout 76. A kind of 'what the fuck did you guys do with 76.......oh shit a new game......OH SHIT Elder Scrolls 6!!!, all is forgiven Todd!':messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom