• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

intbal

If this game, with its typical BGS complex world simulation, can run 40 and 60hz on consoles, I absolutely refuse to believe that Gotham Knights can't do the same.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alright.

Initial impressions are very good. Quality @ 60 FPS seems to work pretty decently in the New Atlantis city areas. It might be dropping frames but VRR is doing a great job smoothing it out on a perception level. There is a V-Sync option but it's greyed out and fixed to On for me, so not sure how that can be changed.

Think I'm gonna stick to the Quality 60hz mode here.

Quick off-screen video:

And a quick comparison between 30 FPS Quality and 60 FPS Performance (the two ends). 60 FPS is softer but it's not anywhere close to the FFVII Rebirth Quality vs Performance kind of divide, at least in this one area. Also added a 40hz Quality screen. 30hz and 40hz seem interchangeable.

30hz Quality:

Qbu046n.jpeg

40hz Quality:

qpc9bSv.jpeg

60hz Performance:

EsWDAM4.jpeg

Tarnpanzer

And a quick comparison between 30 FPS Quality and 60 FPS Performance (the two ends). 60 FPS is softer but it's not anywhere close to the FFVII Rebirth Quality vs Performance kind of divide, at least in this one area. Also added a 40hz Quality screen. 30hz and 40hz seem interchangeable.

Uploaded to imgsli for better comparison:

30 seems to have higher AO or Shadow draw distance than 40. 60 has lower draw distance for complex geometry.

Yeah the game needs to be a lot harder.
And not just harder, but there's clearly lots of interesting survival elements nearly completed in the game that they tapered back last minute. I honestly don't blame them because I think it'll be way too much for most people if they ever truly make it more space SIM. But the game has food you loot everywhere, but no hunger. Radiation and extreme temperature warnings with tons of suit mods and specialized habitats to build but most of the negative effects are negligible. I'm looking forward to delving in that stuff because it just completes the gameplay loop. People willing to put up with this level of resource management wouldn't say a moon is pointless if you're carefully studying it for specific elements so you can land and create a fuel refinery in order to even have the ability to refuel and jump, or raiding an outpost to get food because you're starving. We'll see! I hope it's cool. It's clearly just the start and not fully done yet in that area.

clarky

Gold Member
And not just harder, but there's clearly lots of interesting survival elements nearly completed in the game that they tapered back last minute. I honestly don't blame them because I think it'll be way too much for most people if they ever truly make it more space SIM. But the game has food you loot everywhere, but no hunger. Radiation and extreme temperature warnings with tons of suit mods and specialized habitats to build but most of the negative effects are negligible. I'm looking forward to delving in that stuff because it just completes the gameplay loop. People willing to put up with this level of resource management wouldn't say a moon is pointless if you're carefully studying it for specific elements so you can land and create a fuel refinery in order to even have the ability to refuel and jump, or raiding an outpost to get food because you're starving. We'll see! I hope it's cool. It's clearly just the start and not fully done yet in that area.
Im on the phone travelling to replay properly but yeah i agree with all this. Game has so much potential most of it easily realised with tweaks.

adamsapple

Uploaded to imgsli for better comparison:

30 seems to have higher AO or Shadow draw distance than 40. 60 has lower draw distance for complex geometry.

Thanks for that. All things considered the Performance Mode drops seem to be somewhat tame.

Now checking some Akila City, a bit rougher here compared to New Atlantis but still 100% recommend people with VRR displays keep to Quality Mode @ 60.

This feels very similar to the FO4 update, 40hz Quality seems incredibly consistent. 60hz Quality is great with VRR but not recommended to people without it.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The difficulty setting for wounds and diseases seems really overturned, one gunfight and I had burns, broken bones and a couple others.

Might make the skills boosting recovery more useful than they were (they were useless tbh).

Really like the difficulty settings boosting XP, a godsend for NG+. Really hyped for the expansion.

adamsapple

Ok, I have a very specific pet peeve.

They added so many game play modifiers .. but did not add a fucking 'infinite sprint' or something similar.

Come on.

Inuteu

I almost got stuck on a mission that you need to defeat 3 diferent ships alone, twice

I have only 3 bars of shield in the default ship. is possible to upgrade? or get better ships?

This game is now fully ready to be ported to PS5. This game realistically couldn't be ported to PS5 without a performance mode. The 40fps will also help sell the game on Sony console in the very competitive PSN landscape where most first party games have a 40 and 60fps mode.

Last edited:
The difficulty setting for wounds and diseases seems really overturned, one gunfight and I had burns, broken bones and a couple others.

Might make the skills boosting recovery more useful than they were (they were useless tbh).

Really like the difficulty settings boosting XP, a godsend for NG+. Really hyped for the expansion.
I have some of those skills. I'll let you know how it goes when I can try it out.

Woody337

On series x, every time I shoot someone there is a 1 second pause. I am running the 60 fps mode so I am not sure whats going on. Its hard to play it this way.

Last edited:

adamsapple

On series x, every time I shoot someone there is a 1 second pause. I am running the 60 fps mode so I am not sure whats going on. Its hard to play it this way.

Hmm, I'm not having this issue with my game. Does it also happen if you start a new game?

BigLee74

Much better initial impression at 60 fps, and the planet maps are nice.

Just a pity the first big city performs so rough in comparison!

I fear I may get sucked into an early second playthrough! Might try and hang off for a land vehicle though…

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Jesus Christ ouch 😆

I've decided to take the XP penalty and make my vendors filthy rich.

No more waiting on benches or sleeping for 48 hours.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Jesus Christ ouch 😆

I've decided to take the XP penalty and make my vendors filthy rich.

No more waiting on benches or sleeping for 48 hours.
I made a few tweaks with the game settings. I upped the damage from enemies and enemy ships, reduced my damage given, maxed out vendor credits and carry weight. I ended up back to 0% when all my changes were made. I can see myself going back to this later when I need to up the difficulty.

avin

I checked it out, I agree the update is nice. It's playable on XSX now, whereas previously I would have said it wasn't. But I'm puzzled why XSS doesn't get a 40 fps version even, or any of the new modes, and I wouldn't mind understanding why.

avin

adamsapple

I checked it out, I agree the update is nice. It's playable on XSX now, whereas previously I would have said it wasn't. But I'm puzzled why XSS doesn't get a 40 fps version even, or any of the new modes, and I wouldn't mind understanding why.

avin

I think Series S gets the update too, this just felt like they got it done for the stronger console which would require less bespoke settings tweaking to have it out in a timely manner.

Top Bottom