• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is ‘like NASA meets Indiana Jones’ with a Skyrim structure

GymWolf

Yeah, after fallout 4 and 76 i need to watch something robust before getting excited again for bethesda sci-fi...

Excess

I'm in. Everyone whines about Bethesda games yet people can't stop playing them.
That's just it, isn't it?

I'm not particularly fond of Bethesda games for this very reason (I don't want to be sucked in). Microsoft seems to have been taking the approach of retention over all else, which is why I think they saw Bethesda as valuable purchase.

Kholinar

Banned
Nuh-uh. I've learnt my lesson. It's gonna take more than some pretty graphics and developer hypemen to get me excited for this game. Cyberpunk got me fucked up.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Let's fucking go StarField

original.gif
Did they map Hubble pics to some rotating geometry? Is the Resistance 2 in space? :)

Last edited:
Got to remember will be lot more upgrades now since Microsoft bought Bethesda. There more money in the kitty to polish Betheda games to a next gen level.. I was not really surprised by the lack of gameplay.
Buuuuull fuckin crap microsoft has always bought studios it doeant change any shit

Did they map Hubble pics to some rotating geometry? Is the Resistance 2 in space? :)
IT IS BEAUTIFUL ISN'T IT 😍😍😍

The visualization of passing through the bulk (or hyperspace) plus the sounds of the spaceship experiencing structural stresses as its passing through the higher dimension is really well done. My jaw was firmly on the floor the first time I saw it in theatres. Actually kinda pissed me off they didn't show more of this lol.

Now with these new uber SSD's in these consoles I was hoping games like Interstellar would become a reality whereby you can manipulate time on the fly. Rewind and forwarding time in a location or these warp sequences between two different portals in time or maps.

Confident we'll see stuff like this once cross-gen dies off for good.

Last edited:
Back in the day I tired getting into Morrowind several times yet it never clicked with me.
skipped oblivion. And Skyrim never felt good. It felt unorganic to me. Guess its just to much of a sandbox for my taste.

Played Fallout 3 and 4 but those games didn't really resonate with me like Fallout 1 and 2 did.

As I said thats just my taste/opinion.
When you play fallout 2 then Fallout 3 you realize just how far off Bethesda was in tone and story. Same name, very different games. I liked Skyrim on PS3 until the end when it ran at 10 fps.

fallingdove

I don't even know what this means. Indiana Jones how?

As in searching ruins, discovering hidden or legendary treasures, fighting against foreign evils?

That is basically every Bethesda Game ever. Todd Howard should have described Starfield like:

"You know how when you are really hungry, and all you have is oatmeal in the house. So you get out the pot and the oats and the water, and you boil the water and add the oats. And you are stirring and stirring, and stirring...You are convinced that this is going to be so delicious, so you stir and stir and stir. But as hard as you try to picture it as something else, it's still fucking oatmeal?"

6cm9jpc.png

There might be some bugs because it's been in the cupboard for so long; there will definitely be mushy, average flavors until all the mods arrive in the form of sugar, fruit, milk, nuts, and toffee.

rolandss

Sounds really interesting. Whatever Bethesda put out in terms of RPGs always get my attention. Never owned an Xbox and have a PS5 but I’m tempted to get both this gen, which would be a first for me. I’ll wait and see how it plays out.

We must not value the same things in the series then...skyrim had far less creative quests in comparison, which is the heart of the game. the lack of enchantments on weapons or armor made for less variation of loot causing you to cap out on what you can discover early, didnt help that they got rid of repairing weapons, which allowed you to keep messing with one sword forever .

Also did skyrim have the coliseum? No? Then oblivion wins lol

Did skyrim have better guild quests? No by far? Then oblivion wins lol

Did skyrim have more abilities to level like acrobatics and athletics? No? Then oblivion wins lol

Imo the only way someone can think skyrim is better is if you dont really care about those things. And you dont care about the quest quality difference, then tells me you just liked running around doing whatever with dragons lol

The level scaling in Oblivion harmed the overall experience for me. I never felt overly weak or powerful. It really took away from the feeling of gradually becoming more powerful that Morrowind did so well.

The oblivion gates basically all felt the same after a while.

I didn’t like that both games moved away from so much of the weirdness in Morrowind, but the Solstheim expansion returned some of it. I also like the snowy environment and visuals a lot more than Oblivion, which I liked at first, but eventually started to feel a little repetitive as well.

As an aside, Skyrim also has pc mods on console, and some of those have been fun too and added some cool stuff.

Each game has its strengths and weaknesses. But, long-term player wise, the level scaling and repetitive nature of the Oblivion gates really bogged down Oblivion for me. I did think the magic system was better, but even that was a step down from Morrowind.

I have a gaming pc, but I mostly play on console. The Creation Club content (which doesn’t disable achievements) and also the free mod support on console (Xbox) makes Skyrim the best since Morrowind for me. Of course, I did like Oblivion, but it was just not my favorite. I also encountered far less bugs in Skyrim.

LuciferSatan

Neo Member
Back in the day I tired getting into Morrowind several times yet it never clicked with me.
skipped oblivion. And Skyrim never felt good. It felt unorganic to me. Guess its just to much of a sandbox for my taste.

Played Fallout 3 and 4 but those games didn't really resonate with me like Fallout 1 and 2 did.

As I said thats just my taste/opinion.
It's fine. I always like Obsidian more though I am still excited for Starfield.

Top Bottom