• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is ‘like NASA meets Indiana Jones’ with a Skyrim structure

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to The Telegraph, Howard revealed more details on the game’s story and setting.

“The game is set about 300 plus years in our own future,” he said. “And Constellation is this kind of last group of space explorers. It’s like NASA meets Indiana Jones meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a group of people that are still searching for answers.

“There are a lot of factions in the game but that’s the main one that you’ll become a part of. It’s kind of like Skyrim in terms of the structure of the game, where you’re going to be who you want to be, and then there’s different factions that you can join, and really carve your own path.”

Howard said he couldn’t yet reveal details on Starfield’s plot for spoiler reasons, but he said the game would cover both science and religion.

“We ask some big questions in the game – the kind that people have asked when they look to the sky, you know? ‘What’s out there?’ Why are we here? How do we get here?’ And we get into science, we get into religion.

“I really enjoy thinking about those big questions. I see them in other [forms of] entertainment and I think we have a unique way of presenting it with a game like this, where maybe we don’t have all the answers but I think it’s good to get people thinking.”

Howard also spoke about the fan speculation around Starfield: “There’s enough stuff out there, people are going to get some things right,” he said. One rumour that isn’t true is the speculated appearance of Tom Cruise in the game. “Sorry – no, as of today!” Howard said.

In a making-of video published on The Washington Post, Mike Butkus, the graphic artist known for posters for films Ready Player One and Django Unchained, is seen airbrushing a character sketch by hand.

“Starfield is the first new universe in 25 years from Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 4,” Bethesda said on Sunday.

“In this next generation role-playing game set amongst the stars, create any character you want and explore with unparalleled freedom. Harnessing the power of next-gen technology and built on the all-new Creation Engine 2, Starfield takes you on a journey through space as you strive to answer humanity’s greatest mystery.”

Plantoid

Train Hype GIF

I wonder whats up with guys like Todd Howard. Because if you're a gamer, a real one. Then he should be aware of the greviences regarding the dumbing down of elder scrolls/fallout and NOT want to make that. I wouldnt be able to.

These devs are different types of gamers man lol reminds me when the spiderman 2 dev barely knew anything about spiderman ps4. Its like damn dude you're job used to be making games, you should love this shit more than me xD

Mind you thats not how they used to be. Things went downhill with skyrim. And theres alot of kids without enough gaming history to understand that.
Back in the day I tired getting into Morrowind several times yet it never clicked with me.
skipped oblivion. And Skyrim never felt good. It felt unorganic to me. Guess its just to much of a sandbox for my taste.

Played Fallout 3 and 4 but those games didn't really resonate with me like Fallout 1 and 2 did.

As I said thats just my taste/opinion.

I wonder whats up with guys like Todd Howard. Because if you're a gamer, a real one. Then he should be aware of the greviences regarding the dumbing down of elder scrolls/fallout and NOT want to make that. I wouldnt be able to.

These devs are different types of gamers man lol reminds me when the spiderman 2 dev barely knew anything about spiderman ps4. Its like damn dude you're job used to be making games, you should love this shit more than me xD
Who is a “real gamer”? I play video games and never gave a shit about the dumbing down of their stuff - Morrowind was practically unplayable for me due to the combat and hard-rpg elements. Much preferred oblivion and Skyrim and fallout 3/4 to their predecessors

Null Persp

I'm sold, that's what I wanted to hear.
I am gonna play for 80+ hours like Skyrim and Oblivion wandering around in space doing sidequests and then quitting without finishing the story.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
this game smell of something amazing from every single word / pixel. I literally can't wait.....I know that the trailer wasn't anything special but at least we have an idea of the quality of the graphics and honestly apart from forza 5 which is definitely a category apart ... starfield was the top of the conference for me.

Last edited:
How can you play something for that long and be "disappointed"?
Pretty easily.
I tend to spent quite some time with games even when they don't hook me right away.

I tried to enjoy it, giving it time to grow on me. (note I had to much time on my hands but not enough money to spent it on other games back then )
The game had so much stuff that sounded interesting but then disappointed\frustrated me in the end.

Back in the day I tired getting into Morrowind several times yet it never clicked with me.
skipped oblivion. And Skyrim never felt good. It felt unorganic to me. Guess its just to much of a sandbox for my taste.

Played Fallout 3 and 4 but those games didn't really resonate with me like Fallout 1 and 2 did.

As I said thats just my taste/opinion.
I think you skipped the most important

Morrowind was lacking something for me, but i knew it did rpg right. plus i was young. Skyrim was just trash.

Oblivion i fell in love with, combined modern with the creative hand written old.

Its like missing god of war 2 and only playing 1 and 3

Or missing uncharted 2 and only playing 1 and 3 and 4.

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of all time. The others i didnt like. I would die if someone told me they played all but the second one.

I feel the same way about oblivion haha

There is times where one game in the series completely chnages your perspective.

Who is a “real gamer”? I play video games and never gave a shit about the dumbing down of their stuff - Morrowind was practically unplayable for me due to the combat and hard-rpg elements. Much preferred oblivion and Skyrim and fallout 3/4 to their predecessors
You dont care about the obvious dumbing down of quests and loot variation and attributes? Thats objectively just...less of a thing. But i can understand combat and maybe lack of voice etc.

But acting like it doesnt matter that quests are procedural vs hand written, and the weapons/loot being less various, no enchantments, is a terrifying problem and means that games will continue to suck in favor of surface level streamlining bc most kids cant tell the difference anyway lol

If you cant tell the quests are better in oblivion than skyrim then i give up.

You dont care about the obvious dumbing down of quests and loot variation and attributes? Thats objectively just...less of a thing. But i can understand combat and maybe lack of voice etc.

But acting like it doesnt matter that quests are procedural vs hand written, and the weapons/loot being less various, no enchantments, is a terrifying problem and means that games will continue to suck in favor of surface level streamlining bc most kids cant tell the difference anyway lol

If you cant tell the quests are better in oblivion than skyrim then i give up.
I honestly didn’t notice the quest dumbing down - that may be a thing I just didn’t notice it at all but I’m the guy who prefers the bethesda fallouts to the obsidian one so I dunno

GHG

Gold Member
I think you skipped the most important

Morrowind was lacking something for me, but i knew it did rpg right. plus i was young. Skyrim was just trash.

Oblivion i fell in love with, combined modern with the creative hand written old.

Its like missing god of war 2 and only playing 1 and 3

Or missing uncharted 2 and only playing 1 and 3 and 4.

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of all time. The others i didnt like. I would die if someone told me they played all but the second one.

I feel the same way about oblivion haha

There is times where one game in the series completely chnages your perspective.

Yep even people who don't like morrowind should be able to appreciate it for what it is (I loved it though) .

Oblivion I liked out of the box.

Skyrim I had to mod the shit out of to make it even remotely enjoyable.

Same with Fallout 4, you literally need to mod the RPG back in to the game.

Last edited:
I honestly didn’t notice the quest dumbing down - that may be a thing I just didn’t notice it at all but I’m the guy who prefers the bethesda fallouts to the obsidian one so I dunno
Oblivion dark brotherhood vs skyrims which was better lol

Thieves guild in oblivion vs skyrim...which was better lol

C'mon son

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom