• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield coming 'Late 2022', Guardians title will be shown at Square

Press sneak fuck J Schrier has aired some insider tidbits from his podcast.

Apparently Starfield will be announced for 'late 2022' (possibly 2023 at this point, which means tragically no Elder Scrolls until the PS6 and Series X2 are out around 2026 or 2027 :p ).

He also said:
- a Guardians of the Galaxy game will be shown at Square
- Far Cry after 6 will have a radical change for the series.
- Skull and Bones will release in late 2022 or beyond.
- Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still very very early in development.

Kuranghi

Tom Cruise What GIF

I guess they restarted development after Ancel left or something 🤷‍♂️ fuck knows

Hmmm, making it into more of a MP game? Trying to rejig it into the new Breakpoint I think.

I think the sad news is how far away Starfield is as that has implications on a new Fallout or ES coming any time soon.

Unless the new entries for both those are being turned into online or Gamepass small scale titles, we'll be lucky to see new entries at the back end of this whole damn gen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Disappointing to hear about Starfield but whatever. I hope MS has something other than Halo this year.

Whats so different about Far Cry 6? It looks identical to the other games.

SlimySnake

I think the sad news is how far away Starfield is as that has implications on a new Fallout or ES coming any time soon.

Unless the new entries for both those are being turned into online or Gamepass small scale titles, we'll be lucky to see new entries at the back end of this whole damn gen.
Bethesda is like a 100 person team. Or used to be one anyway. I remember reading a Todd Howard interview when fallout 4 came out in 2015, and hes like we can only work on one game at a time because the same Skyrim team also worked on Fallout 4. Like what? Skyrim sold tens of millions of copies. Have multiple teams work on multiple games. 1 on Elder Scrolls, 1 on Fallout and 1 on Starfield.

It's like they are running a mom and pop shop over there. Also explains why their games are so buggy. They are a tiny studio. Lets hope MS came in and gave them the budget they need for all three franchises for simultaneous development.

Stuart360

Well i wont believe it about Starfield until its confirmed. I could def see early next year though.
It would be a bit silly after that deal announcement sit down where Todd said he doesn't like showing off games until the E3 before release, and Phil was talking about it too.
Unless since then Covid really has had a big effect on the game.

Bethesda is like a 100 person team. Or used to be one anyway. I remember reading a Todd Howard interview when fallout 4 came out in 2015, and hes like we can only work on one game at a time because the same Skyrim team also worked on Fallout 4. Like what? Skyrim sold tens of millions of copies. Have multiple teams work on multiple games. 1 on Elder Scrolls, 1 on Fallout and 1 on Starfield.

It's like they are running a mom and pop shop over there. Also explains why their games are so buggy. They are a tiny studio. Lets hope MS came in and gave them the budget they need for all three franchises for simultaneous development.

I thought they'd be over 100 employee dev team at least. That's dire. Their last few games were disappointing online affairs, thats the direction they could be taking with Fallout and ES next otherwise yeah, they'll struggle to make this generation with full blown sequels.

harmny

Banned

Why? A lot of studios work on 1 game at a time. Naughty dog or Sony santa monica for example. Or guerilla. also Todd howard can't direct more than one game at a time. And they are more than 100 developers.

TES VI 2028 launch confirmed

Last edited:

Stuart360

There are numerous 'Bethesda' studios. The Maryland studio is what we think of as 'Bethesda', the studio that made Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc.
I dont know how many devs Maryland has, but they can call on all the studios to help though.

Skullkid94700

Neo Member
"Press Sneak Fuck" haha

Far Cry 6 has already been confirmed not to have a map editor (VG247) and will have a third person view (Again, VG247). From those interviews and the AMA that the creative leads did, it looks like FC6 will be more RPG like than the previous games. What that means, we don't really know outside of more customization of your character.

Heres hoping its not a destiny-like game. I'm still excited to see what they can do to make the series seem new and fresh.

Possible famous last words though.

kyussman

I'll tell you all right now...I'll run down my high street with a Kumquat on my knob if BGE2 ever becomes a thing.
.....and Far Cry making a drastic change....wonderful,so it will fall in line with all the other shared world,multiplayer type open world games Ubisoft have been shitting out the last couple of years....fucking great,fuck off!!!!

I probably have my head buried firmly in the sand, but I will hold out hope for Starfeild this holiday until I see an official announcement.

Last edited:
There are numerous 'Bethesda' studios. The Maryland studio is what we think of as 'Bethesda', the studio that made Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc.
I dont know how many devs Maryland has, but they can call on all the studios to help though.

The acquisition of Zenimax, of which Bethesda was the crown jewel by far, is not quite what was sold given Bethesda's apparent lack of output. ES and Fallout 5 can hardly be developed on the side, these are or used to be Cyberpunk-sized affairs. We're looking at 2026 for a full sized entry at best

SlimySnake

Wiki says Bethesda are now at 420 employees. I have no idea if that is correct though.
Maybe now. But they made Skyrim and Fallout 4 with just 100 people total for BOTH games.
Howard described that process of developing two blockbuster games at once, with a crew of around 100 for both, as a careful balance:

We're always kind of designing one game while in production on one, and talking about one. Staggering our development somewhat. When we're really working on a game, it takes everybody's attention. We'll discuss the other one. We'll kick it around over lunch, and then we'll have concept artists or other people start on stuff. So "Fallout 4," we kind of picked away at things, and concepts, while we worked on "Skyrim," but we were very focused on "Skyrim." But once "Skyrim" was done, we'd had a couple "Fallout 4" things ready. And we knew what we wanted to do — what the big things would be in the game. And we just started attacking all of those things at once.

Last edited:

Stuart360

The acquisition of Zenimax, of which Bethesda was the crown jewel by far, is not quite what was sold given Bethesda's apparent lack of output. ES and Fallout 5 can hardly be developed on the side, these are or used to be Cyberpunk-sized affairs. We're looking at 2026 for a full sized entry at best
I dont mean ID, and Arkane etc, i mean there are numerous studios called 'Bethesda'.
Besides i think most poeple thought Elfder Scrolls would be a late gen game.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Press sneak fuck J Schrier has aired some insider tidbits from his podcast.

Apparently Starfield will be announced for 'late 2022' (possibly 2023 at this point, which means tragically no Elder Scrolls until the PS6 and Series X2 are out around 2026 or 2027 :p ).

He also said:
- a Guardians of the Galaxy game will be shown at Square
- Skull and Bones will release in late 2022 or beyond.

I think this is speculation, becasue who would let that guy have insider knowledge just so he can leak it a week before their press show.

Eliciel

Tom Cruise What GIF

I guess they restarted development after Ancel left or something 🤷‍♂️ fuck knows

Hmmm, making it into more of a MP game? Trying to rejig it into the new Breakpoint I think.
Lol exactly, this .gif is describing the look on my face extremely well

Looking at history anything Shrawyer says can be automatically binned. So with that in mind op makes me happy as that means Starfield comes out sooner than we all think.

Max_Po

Banned
Disappointing to hear about Starfield but whatever. I hope MS has something other than Halo this year.

Whats so different about Far Cry 6? It looks identical to the other games.

Yes but they changed the RACE of "PRO TA GO NIST" ... its a whole new world !!!!

Top Bottom