• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered |OT| Evolution Complete

Syf

Banned
Tried the ladder. 0-3, shared last place on ranked. T_T
Was it working smoothly for you then? Been watching streams this morning and people don't seem to be having as much trouble. Pretty eager to get going with that again.

Shotpun

Is the single player campaign how old school turtle friendly? I love the classic C&C games and I'm pretty much the opposite of the modern aggressive e-sports APM-Neo player, I like to chill at the base, build up defences until they are impenetrable, build an army that is way bigger than it needs to be and then crush the enemy. What I don't like is having to move aggressively, managing more than one base and dealing with very limited resources.

Should I check out this game or keep it away from me with a long stick?

Onemic

Man, Im getting addicted to the ASL lol. Ive been watching season 1 and am now in the round of 8. Hoping that ASL for Starcraft remastered gets announced soon. Id assume that it would start sometime in September or October based on when season 3 ended

Is the single player campaign how old school turtle friendly? I love the classic C&C games and I'm pretty much the opposite of the modern aggressive e-sports APM-Neo player, I like to chill at the base, build up defences until they are impenetrable, build an army that is way bigger than it needs to be and then crush the enemy. What I don't like is having to move aggressively, managing more than one base and dealing with very limited resources.

From what I remember of how I played the campaign as a kid, you can definitely play that way if you want. I pretty much played through the campaign playing that way when I beat the game 15 years ago.

peakish

Was it working smoothly for you then? Been watching streams this morning and people don't seem to be having as much trouble. Pretty eager to going with that again.
It all worked fine for me but I don't know what troubles there's been with it until now.

TheMoon

SC was very much part of that era. Obviously not for every mission, though. I'm the same way, btw.

Shotpun

From what I remember of how I played the campaign as a kid, you can definitely play that way if you want. I pretty much played through the campaign playing that way when I beat the game 15 years ago.

SC was very much part of that era. Obviously not for every mission, though. I'm the same way, btw.

Cool, thanks! Going to pick this up then, after I've cleared some backlog first.

Syf

Banned
It's the og soundtrack resampled, like what's available in SC2. Alternate track was a ruse all along.

Woorloog

Banned
People didn't like the changed track posted on Soundcloud, i think. I know it sounded slightly wrong to me. Remastering soundtrack is perfectly possible, Halo CE Anniversary is a good example of the soundtrack done well (for most part, it had a couple of odd changes).

I did see a suggestion the track posted to Soundcloud wasn't for SC:R but Heroes of the Storm, though i think it was titled as being for Starcraft Remastered...
EDIT And it seems it is. My issue with the track is that it feels like a re-interpretation of the original track, rather than re-recording with higher fidelity (perhaps with additional instruments but without real changes).

BoneyardBrew

Neo Member
People didn't like the changed track posted on Soundcloud, i think. I know it sounded slightly wrong to me. Remastering soundtrack is perfectly possible, Halo CE Anniversary is a good example of the soundtrack done well (for most part, it had a couple of odd changes).

I did see a suggestion the track posted to Soundcloud wasn't for SC:R but Heroes of the Storm, though i think it was titled as being for Starcraft Remastered...
EDIT And it seems it is. My issue with the track is that it feels like a re-interpretation of the original track, rather than re-recording with higher fidelity (perhaps with additional instruments but without real changes).
Agreed! I'm glad those re-recorded tracks ultimately didn't end up in the game. They're fine in their own right but they didn't quite capture the vibe and magic of the originals.

The versions in SC:R have been around for awhile now if I'm not mistaken but are a lot higher fidelity than the game's original release.

ScOULaris

thank god, that sounded awful imo. Way too big a departure from the source material.
While I too prefer the original tracks overall, I wouldn't have minded the ability to toggle between original and Remastered music. That way people could choose whichever they prefer, and everyone would be happy.

But ultimately I'm glad they didn't straight up replace the original tracks with the Remastered ones because, like others have said, they have a different feel to them.

Mumei

FWIW as a Mac user I'd suggest your best bet would be clearing out all files relating to blizzard and starting fresh. Don't all blizzard games have cloud saves, so you should be able to uninstall everything, search your hard drives, including the "~/Library/Preferences" and "~/Library/Application Support" folders, for any remaining files from anything blizzard related, and then reinstall? (Check on the cloud saves bit before doing it though - or do a full time machine backup so that you can restore back the deleted files.)

Thanks for trying to help. I deleted absolutely everything I could find, downloaded the app again, reinstalled StarCraft and.... same thing. I also tried getting WarCraft III and had a different error! :|

I've played through all of the original campaign except for the last two Protoss missions. Besides the missions where you don't build at all, just the last 3 missions Protoss missions are the only ones you really can't. One thing to note is you can not reach max 200 supply on a lot of earlier maps because there's not that many resources.

Pachinko

I've been enjoying putzing my way through this again.

True story - Starcraft was the first PC game I bought (didn't get a pc until 2001) , it cost me all of 20$ at a staples for the battle chest. I was so bad at the game that I had trouble getting past even the third mission for the Terrans so I never really ended up playing very far in the end.

Once Starcraft 2 got announced I went back to it and tried to get through the game again but I think I only made it as far as the middle of the zerg campaign that time ? A year or 2 after that I recall going back to the game and playing through the rest of the zerg campaign and finally starting the protoss (this might have even been between Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm). I made it up to what I think was the third to last mission in the game where you have 2 enemy protoss bases to deal with and full access to all types of units and just couldn't make any headway on that stage. So , despite 16 years of ownership I've never honestly completed the original star craft.

This remaster has given me a chance to go back once again and yeah, if anything I'm finding the missions so far a bit on the easy side with the terrans. Hilariously , I never quite finished Starcraft 2 either , I'm on the final mission for the protoss (there may be a couple of epilogue stages after this one) and I screwed up a few times and simply haven't gone back to try again there either.

Ah well, I have fun with this stuff even if I'm not super great at it. I hope EA sees this and releases a fully compatible remaster of Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge in a similar fashion at some point.

Looks like we have a start date for ASL season 4, with a prize pool about three times as big as last season's too. Qualifiers begin Sept 2-4, round of 24 begins Sept 10.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/526000-asl-season-4-update

KR article link - http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=184087&iskin=esports
Oh baby cannot wait!

I also forgot to post this but this goes back to what I was talking about a few days ago... Oh and.. woooooooh IdrA!

https://twitter.com/iNcontroLTV/status/899364686679875585

August 27th 6pm PDT THE SHOW is happening! Join Hosts @idra @Artosis @nonyTV and myself (possibly @CallMeTasteless ) as we discuss BW!/SC2!

Channel will be my very own http://twitch.tv/iNcontroLTV -- vods will go up on YouTube/Twitch for free post airing viewing. Will be a 2 hour show

One time deal or more? Not sure. At this point it's a 1 time show.. but anything is possible. Please spread the word and cya there!

Onemic

Laiza

Huh, that is kinda disappointing since we already got resampled soundtrack in Starcraft 2 already :/
I actually liked the sound of the HotS tracks, too. I was really looking forward to hearing what their reinterpretation of the Zerg and Protoss themes would sound like.

Guess I have to wait for them to release more SC2 maps in HotS to get that chance. Oh, well.

StayDead

Yeah should be a great show, idra has been out of the scene for so long.
I get the feeling Idra is only on it for inControl's benefit. He wants nothing to do with esports or the limelight now from everything he's said over the past 3 years.

Lime

The writing in this game is light-years ahead of anything in Starcraft 2.

yup I literally had that thought yesterday - example #342146

131312kkzt.jpg

The writing in this game is light-years ahead of anything in Starcraft 2.
Yup, never got the same feeling with SC2 and never really cared about the story in it because of that, it's sad really, to go from that to the most bland story ever...

(Not to say I didn't like playing the campaigns though, the missions were varied and pretty well put together and I liked the different mechanics WoL/HotS/LotV all had with the different races.. just the story though... ugh..)

ScOULaris

Blizzard has a different brand now, which does not involve the same themes and aesthetic as they had with Starcraft and Brood War back in '98.
Yep, and it's a damn shame. We're living in the post-WoW, Fisher-Price era of Blizzard aesthetics and art styles. The grit and character of their older games is long gone.

That being said, we're very lucky that they mostly adhered to the original SC1 art style for Remastered. It could very easily have gone the way of SC2 and ruined SC1's distinctive sci-fi trappings. Hell, we're lucky that Remastered exists at all.

EDIT: With one exception. Overwatch has an expertly realized and consistent art style.

StarCraft Remastered review from IGN!
It got a 9.0I can finally update the thread!
A bunch of other reviews have gone up as well.

Metacritic - 87 average
OpenCritic - 88 average

Woorloog

Banned
Unfortunate Blizzard messed with the Protoss for Remastered. All graywashed.
And the High Templar has blue eyes in his sprite (zoom in close to see that). Concept art showed blue eyes but apparently people complained and the final version has red eyes but they didn't fix the sprite. But the glowing swirly thingy above his head being blue is also annoying.

Thanks for trying to help. I deleted absolutely everything I could find, downloaded the app again, reinstalled StarCraft and.... same thing. I also tried getting WarCraft III and had a different error! :|
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I guess contacting blizzard is the only option left.

Just checking but you are on the latest version of macOS right? The link you posted mentions anything under 10.9 would result in that error appearing for all blizzard games.

yup I literally had that thought yesterday - example #342146

131312kkzt.jpg

Zeratul is easily my favourite voiced character in any game I've played. He has a few pretty epic exchanges in the first 2 games. Unsure of why that voice actor wasn't in SC2 but it was one of the main reason I just didn't give a shit about the sequel. Probably one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.

Hey everyone, quick question that I didn't see answered in the OP:

Will this game have any type of ranking system with online multiplayer? I would love to get back into Starcraft but, seeing as I haven't played for almost a decade and I sucked ass back then, I fear that I will get slaughtered every online match. Would be awesome if I could match with some fellow noobs.

ScOULaris

Zeratul is easily my favourite voiced character in any game I've played. He has a few pretty epic exchanges in the first 2 games. Unsure of why that voice actor wasn't in SC2 but it was one of the main reason I just didn't give a shit about the sequel. Probably one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.
SC2 is easily my biggest gaming disappointment ever. I don't think I'll ever get over it, but SC Remastered is a nice consolation at least.

Will this game have any type of ranking system with online multiplayer? I would love to get back into Starcraft but, seeing as I haven't played for almost a decade and I sucked ass back then, I fear that I will get slaughtered every online match. Would be awesome if I could match with some fellow noobs.
Yep, it has ranked matchmaking for 1v1 right now with 2v2 and maybe 3v3 ranked coming soon hopefully.

Syf

Banned

Yes. Right now everyone is in one league but still matched by MMR. After they're happy with the 1v1 system they'll add more leagues like gold/silver/bronze etc. It should be a full ranked setup much like SC2's.

SC2 is easily my biggest gaming disappointment ever. I don't think I'll ever get over it, but SC Remastered is a nice consolation at least.

Yep, it has ranked matchmaking for 1v1 right now with 2v2 and maybe 3v3 ranked coming soon hopefully.

Yes. Right now everyone is in one league but still matched by MMR. After they're happy with the 1v1 system they'll add more leagues like gold/silver/bronze etc. It should be a full ranked setup much like SC2's.

Appreciate the quick replies!!! I think that may have just sold me :)

Woorloog

Banned

The actor died. Kinda hard to get him to voice Zeratul. http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Ritschel

I think Zeratul's voice actor (Fred Tatasciore) was fine... the issue was the writing. Can't do anything good with shit material.

Matthew23

I've only had time for the first two missions but everything looks and sounds great. I was happy to see the original music not replaced. This gives me high hopes for WC3 and D2.

From the IGN review:

The story, on the other hand, holds up really well. While it lacks the high-grade presentation of StarCraft 2’s campaign, it also feels grittier, grounded, and unique. The issues at play are made more compelling for not revolving around the fate of the entire galaxy and an interdimensional demon… or something... and the focal point is instead on the grunts in the mud. The politics and turns of fortune that weave through each of the six episodes reminded me that setting the stakes to something other than 11 can often allow you to tell a better tale.

So much truth.

Syf

Banned
So much truth.
Yeah, that's a good quote, and my main problem with most of Blizzard's stories these days. The universe doesn't always need to be at stake and villains don't always need to be power level one million. Drama between relatable characters is so much more compelling. Brood War's villains are 10x better than the cartoon characters found in any modern Blizzard game.

Matthew23

Yeah, that's a good quote, and my main problem with most of Blizzard's stories these days. The universe doesn't always need to be at stake and villains don't always need to be power level one million. Drama between relatable characters is so much more compelling. Brood War's villains are 10x better than the cartoon characters found in any modern Blizzard game.

Blizzard HAS to realize this at some point... don't they?

Top Bottom