• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered |OT| Evolution Complete

Syf

Banned
Yeah, it's my favorite IP for watching pro play. I hope those two rumors end up being true, but at least ASL season 4 will be awesome.

Woorloog

Banned
And sometimes it's just more fun to do that! I like to mess around and use different ways to win the mission that they didn't necessarily intend.

I used part of the speedrun strat on Norad II, blowing up one bunker to build a barracks, and then breaking the air defenses of the base from the inside in order to sneak Raynor in by dropship. And it was super fun! Of course, with how many missions are just "destroy everything" you can't always do that. :p

I always do that strategy nowadays (last few years)... much faster than than alternatives.
Once i did it by spamming Drop Ships though. Built 8-12 of them, loaded Raynor in one, just flew through, hoping the one with Reynor would be spared.

leakey

Just picked this up and have already played a few rounds of UMS games. Definitely going to try and get back into the swing of the regular competitive game as well :)

Welp, wish autosaves were a thing. I just had an extremely dumb thing happen. 5th protoss level in the original campaign. I have almost everything cleared, so I send a Shuttle with Tassadar to the beacon. Right by the beacon were 2 Spore Colonies on the high ground I didn't kill. I'm almost directly on top of the beacon, but I forget to drop Tassadar out. The Spore Colonies kill the Shuttle with Tassadar in it, failing the mission. T_T

Syf

Banned
I think I would just use the auto win mission cheat at that point, sounds like you were done anyway. That's rough.

TheMoon

Patch 1.20.1 dropped today.

Click the link for patch notes.

or read them here:

1.20.1 has arrived. We are continuing to address server and web interface in parallel. We will make posts when those fixes go out as well.

Specific Changes & Improvements
  • Revoked Zerg disappearing act; burrow holes now stand out better on dark tilesets
Bug Fixes
  • The HDs are available on start up for players with Remastered (one exception; see Known Issues)
  • Players will no longer hallucinate that the death animation of hallucinated units is offset… mirages are tricky
  • Options have been convinced to stop reverting to their default state
  • Interstitial sound effects have found their voice
Server Updates
  • General optimization and performance improvements based on live data
  • Improved matchmaking processing to reduce game results being dropped
Known Issues
  • Running from a desktop shortcut will start in SD (use F5 or Options to switch to HD), will be fixed in next patch
  • Resolving matchmaking fails - have a solution in test

ScOULaris

We really should get a Mini Game Party UMS gaf game going sometime, forgot how much fun that map is.
Yeah, it's a great map. I only discovered it a few months ago. Can't believe the creator managed to cram 128 Mini-Games into one map, and there are relatively few duds in the bunch.

Error 404

Neo Member
Man it's great to see so many people online :) Too bad most of the people playing melee are too good these days for my rusty self. UMS still the best though. I'm down for games so please add me! Tag: Ps-ycho

ScOULaris

Man it's great to see so many people online :) Too bad most of the people playing melee are too good these days for my rusty self. UMS still the best though. I'm down for games so please add me! Tag: Ps-ycho
This has been the best part about Remastered's release: seeing the activity levels on Bnet rise once again to nostalgic heights. It's still a niche game given its age and genre, but seeing a nice long scroll bar on the custom games list makes me smile every time I log on.

What you start with for every campaign mission seems so random. Seventh Protoss mission in the original gives you a decent army, a massive bank and most of your tech to start with, while the 8th mission gives you no bank, a small army and only a forge for tech.

What you start with for every campaign mission seems so random. Seventh Protoss mission in the original gives you a decent army, a massive bank and most of your tech to start with, while the 8th mission gives you no bank, a small army and only a forge for tech.

7th you have Tassadar's whole fleet backing you up. 8th it's just the heroes and whoever they can convince to help Tassadar despite his orders.

Nothing official yet aside from ASL. But we do have Blizzard talking about some sort of new league (source - reliable), OSL possibly starting up again after ASL season 4 (source - same guy). I haven't heard of anything else yet. Pretty much wait and see for now.

Hopefully we see a resurgence of brood war even if it doesn't reach the heights it did at its peak. Starcraft and Starcraft are the only games I've really been able to get into for eports and I still firmly believe that brood war was and is the best game to watch.

Lime

I'm really impressed by the cinematics and how good they still look. Amazing archiving by Blizzard to still have the files after almost 20 years.

Last few Protoss missions in the original campaign are a big step up in difficulty compared to the rest of the missions. You can't just build a big army and A-move. I tried doing that in two different locations in the 8th Protoss mission and got wrecked in completely different ways lol. One side I got frozen repeatedly and slowly picked apart, and the other side I got Stormed to death. Got through it and tried the 9th mission. I hate needing separate bases to mine minerals and gas unless you want to put like 10 Probes on gas to mine it efficiently. A few of the Zerg missions were like this but building more Hatcheries to produce faster is never a bad thing. Ended up losing because Fenix got cornered by Cracklings and already had little health from previous fights and Defilers, but I have a better idea on what to do now.

peakish

I don't think Kerrigan's old VA does VA anymore so I don't think hers have been re-recorded. Switching back and forth between original and updated voice overs don't reveal any large differences to me but they could be mastered sligthly different. Would be interesting to see a 1-1 audio comparison without having to exit through the main menu to switch it.

Syf

Banned
Yeah I think it's all wrapped up into one now, and buying the remaster then allows you to turn on the extra graphics options which are greyed out in the free anthology.

Stevey

So is anyone still getting options returning to default after the patch.
Pre-order bonuses keep showing up and Vsync keeps unchecking itself.
Minor stuff, but still annoying.

Syf

Banned
Yep I still have to check my options every time I log in lol. Worse is the ladder situation which is totally screwy; people taking losses when their opponents disconnect, W/L not being recorded properly, MMR errors. I want to get back to it but gonna wait for them to fix all that first. Strange that bugs this big made it to release.

Yeah it was working for a bit after the patch with the settings but now they're just reverting them selves again, I have to keep turning on V-Sync or my game keeps pushing my graphics cards really hard and pushing them to like 82C+

Starcraft 1 confirmed the new Crysis of our time.

Wimps

Thinking about getting this. Never played it but, really liked watching some pro games back in the day.

EDIT: Yuuuup. Going to get this. It's only €15.

If anybody wants to play some games, feel free to add me: Wimpsyay#2789!

Built-in latency was reduced to LAN level latency some time ago, i think.
When creating a custom game there's an option to adjust the "turn rate" which I think is the tick rate. The max is 16 which I guess is probably what it was on LAN in the old days. Edit: people on TL have a breakdown but apparently the default of 8 is close to Lan http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/428360-bw-general-discussion?page=198

I don't know what it is set to on ladder. Edit: this forum in bnet says 8 is the default on ladder https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20758606498?page=1

There's also an options menu choice for network which can increase the latency, my setting was defaulted to the lowest latency so I assume it's the same for everyone unless you're playing someone who has changed that setting.

Worst job ever

20900606_10155601045917346_7742488389766952628_o.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
I'd imagine the fellow is merely AI like the Terran advisor.

Except the SC1 Advisor isn't an AI. Looks like a cybernetic human, like the Science Vessel.
At least on the original graphics, the HD version has made the Advisor a bit more robotic.

That said, cybernetics could certainly take care of dizzyness.

Mumei

I just installed it and couldn't get the game to launch even after restarting Battle.net several times, so I've just uninstalled it, restarted, and am trying again. Hoping it works soon. :(

Woorloog

Banned
I just installed it and couldn't get the game to launch even after restarting Battle.net several times, so I've just uninstalled it, restarted, and am trying again. Hoping it works soon. :(

If it won't work, try logging out before closing Battle.net.

domocoma

Neo Member

Check your antivirus. My friend had the same issue and that was the issue.

Savitar

Only issue I got with the game is how hot it runs my video cards, even other games I got don't seem that demanding.

Mumei

If it won't work, try logging out before closing Battle.net.

I just tried that, still not working.

Check your antivirus. My friend had the same issue and that was the issue.

I am trying to run it on my Mac; I confess that I'm not even running an antivirus program. <_<

In the error message link, it does say:

"Failed to launch a critical file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again. Alternatively, log in as an administrator and try again."

Those instructions don't really help me, so I'm not sure what I should be doing.

Woorloog

Banned
Looking at Blizzard's common issues post (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20758517787), there's a section that notes something about hotkeys/options not appearing. The solution on Mac may be creating new admin user. Now, while the issue is different, you could try that to see if it solves the launching issue.
Otherwise there don't seem to be anything like this. Nor did the bug report or technical support forum yield any help with quick look.

But... i did find something else. Actually WoW-related but the error message seems to be similar. Apparently "failed to launch critical file" indicates an ".app" file is missing.
You could check what was done here and apply that to SC:R.

Mumei

Looking at Blizzard's common issues post (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20758517787), there's a section that notes something about hotkeys/options not appearing. The solution on Mac may be creating new admin user. Now, while the issue is different, you could try that to see if it solves the launching issue.
Otherwise there don't seem to be anything like this. Nor did the bug report or technical support forum yield any help with quick look.

I just made a new Admin account, no luck.

But... i did find something else. Actually WoW-related but the error message seems to be similar. Apparently "failed to launch critical file" indicates an ".app" file is missing.
You could check what was done here and apply that to SC:R.

That is incredibly tedious-looking.

So, I can't even do all those things. I can't delete the Blizzard folder (or rather, I don't want to because I don't know how deleting it would affect anything else Blizzard-related I have installed) and I don't even have any of those other things that were listed installed or on the computer or whatever. So I can only put the first thing in the trash. And I can't use either of those links to install it directly; it doesn't even show up on the website. I can only install through the app—which I just did, and it still has the same problem.

Well, I was looking forward to this.

jahasaja

Played one 1v1 game online for the first time in a long while. I won, but damn I am to old for this, way to stressful.

Back to single player..

Syf

Banned
Maybe best to open a ticket or post on their tech support forum. I am clueless when it comes to Mac issues but it looks like your error is one that's come up in many of their games for years. They probably have a pretty good idea of how to walk you through a fix.

Woorloog

Banned

So, I can't even do all those things. I can't delete the Blizzard folder (or rather, I don't want to because I don't know how deleting it would affect anything else Blizzard-related I have installed) and I don't even have any of those other things that were listed installed or on the computer or whatever. So I can only put the first thing in the trash. And I can't use either of those links to install it directly; it doesn't even show up on the website. I can only install through the app&#8212;which I just did, and it still has the same problem.

I hoped perhaps the proper uninstall method could've fixed things. That said, i don't know how things work on Mac.

That installation thing is weird though. Looking at Download Clients page, StarCraft Anthology is there. Remastered is technically only an update for it (that does need the B.net app). If it appears, you could try that installer. Not sure if it is really different from the app but... maybe it is worth a shot.

peakish

Replaying the campaign I once again remember that I don't like how hero units are handled in the game. They're powerful but can die so quickly, meaning that I generally just leave them at home which is kind of boring. Then the current Protoss infiltration mission with Tassadar just insta-killed him from full health, from a trap which didn't even trigger from using hallucinations to scout. Super meh on that.

I just made a new Admin account, no luck.

So, I can't even do all those things. I can't delete the Blizzard folder (or rather, I don't want to because I don't know how deleting it would affect anything else Blizzard-related I have installed) and I don't even have any of those other things that were listed installed or on the computer or whatever. So I can only put the first thing in the trash. And I can't use either of those links to install it directly; it doesn't even show up on the website. I can only install through the app—which I just did, and it still has the same problem.

FWIW as a Mac user I'd suggest your best bet would be clearing out all files relating to blizzard and starting fresh. Don't all blizzard games have cloud saves, so you should be able to uninstall everything, search your hard drives, including the "~/Library/Preferences" and "~/Library/Application Support" folders, for any remaining files from anything blizzard related, and then reinstall? (Check on the cloud saves bit before doing it though - or do a full time machine backup so that you can restore back the deleted files.)

Top Bottom