• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Remastered |OT| Evolution Complete

KLoWn

What the actual fuck! I just used loaded my saved game when all went to shit and it loaded up the last mission?! I saved several times during the mission and now it's all gone?
Has anyone else encountered this? Ffs......

TheMoon

What the actual fuck! I just used loaded my saved game when all went to shit and it loaded up the last mission?! I saved several times during the mission and now it's all gone?
Has anyone else encountered this? Ffs......

previous page is all about messed up cloud saves

Water

Played the first 8 missions of the original Terran campaign and found it pretty easy. I started the Zerg campaign and there's a massive difference in difficulty. You can not go out with a small army. Once you start attacking you'll get swarmed by units that feels like a never ending wave. I had to restart the 3rd mission because running up a small ramp with Hydras that's covered with Siege Tanks is a terrible idea and I ran out of minerals. That's probably my biggest issue with it so far compared to Starcraft 2. Minerals are pretty limited and it's hard to completely max out.
There's a really small amount of attacks/pressure from the enemy, so it's pretty much norush 10-15min in multiple missions in the Zerg campaign, you can just use the initial troops to defend and ramp up your eco/tech without worry. Makes some of the missions a bit samey. So the template is - expand if there's an easy expansion available, go hive and max upgrades, and only start making troops when you have the money to spare without slowing down your upgrades. At the same time, like you say, the AI has a rather large amount of force to defend so it's easy to bump your head into a wall. A couple of guardians with the bulk of your army in hydra/crackling deals well with most things, but for a noob it's still easy to lose too many forces to splash dmg or have your guardians picked off if you don't control them properly. On at least one or two missions I had the bulk of my army in mutalisks, there was one in particular that had at reavers roaming everywhere.

Pooya

original campaign is easy. Brood War is brutal though. I could never beat some of the later missions without cheats.

Jinroh

Ok so new issue, now my preorder skins don't show up anymore.

Also the game settings are randomly reset (such as v-sync, max fps, etc.)

I don't really understand how they can mess these things up with such an old game.

ScOULaris

Ok so new issue, now my preorder skins don't show up anymore.

Also the game settings are randomly reset (such as v-sync, max fps, etc.)

I don't really understand how they can mess these things up with such an old game.

I haven't had those issues, but I know others have. Blizz has said that they are actively working on them both at the moment. I'd expect a fix to be pushed out within the next couple of days.

Wrapped up the vanilla campaign on Tuesday. I'll be taking a break before I go on to the Brood War campaign, but it will be interesting to see how the difficulty stacks up. I've replayed the vanilla campaign post-SC2 before, so no real surprises there: with both SC1 and WC3, the campaigns weren't really designed around the level of RTS game knowledge that is standard now in the player base thanks to e-sports, streaming, and generally more access to the fundamentals. Macro up and you can kill anything (except in the installation dungeon-crawls, which have never appealed to me as much as the army-building game). With one or two of the late Protoss maps I stumbled a bit with carelessly losing too much to storms/plague and running out of money, but the campaign was otherwise straightforward.

You can really tell that the difficulty is balanced around the limitations of the original UI and the pace of the economy, as you never need more than 2-3 control groups for units. In SC2 that unit count would feel extremely small, an early push at best. SC2 made me a far better BW player, but I expect BW to make me a better SC2 player in turn just by forcing a certain comfort with multiple control groups and small skirmishes. One improves a lot in SC2 by not relying on the 200-supply F2-death-ball for everything, but I'm often too lazy to really work on it.

Playing this game with SC2-like keybinds mostly confined on the left side of the keyboard (V for overlords, E for pylons, A for marines, E/D for siege/unsiege, etc.) is really nice. Highly, highly recommended for anyone who plays both games.

Probably won't get into the multiplayer for a few weeks, but I hope there's still an active beginner tier at that point. Doesn't work if all the novice players desert the game for UMS or a return to SC2, though. One of the main attractions of SC:R for me was the prospect of 1v1 matchmaking against people who are similarly clumsy and ignorant of the metagame, which had been impossible to arrange with strangers since, oh, 1998. That put me off the original online 1v1 more than anything.

ScOULaris

Probably won't get into the multiplayer for a few weeks, but I hope there's still an active beginner tier at that point. Doesn't work if all the novice players desert the game for UMS or a return to SC2, though.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how populated matchmaking is weeks and months from now.

That being said, can you blame people for spending their time playing UMS? It's the fuckin' best.

Woorloog

Banned
The AI is... random.
Terran campaign final mission, got something that never happened to me before.
Suddenly a mass of white Vulture bikes (10 or so) attacked my resource base seemingly out of nowhere. They were then followed up by Siege Tanks that proceeded to devastate most of my base (my Battlecruiser fleet was mopping up the white base).
OK, merely a temporary setback.
I then proceed to finish the Ion Cannon and... What the hell? The entire area is empty of enemies except the Missile Turrets. Apparently the AI had fetched its forces from there to attack me.
I don't think the patches have changed anything, so this was just a rare occurrence for me. Kinda funny though.

Are there any good sites around that have guides and tech on getting better and strategies?

So far from searching I've seen The Team Liquid SC1 wiki

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Portal:Beginners
Same place. Granted some of the information and strategy are quite old, but since BW did not have any balance changes for a long time, a lot of the info still stands.

The AI is... random.
Suddenly a mass of white Vulture bikes (10 or so) attacked my resource base seemingly out of nowhere. They were then followed up by Siege Tanks that proceeded to devastate most of my base (my Battlecruiser fleet was mopping up the white base).
I then proceed to finish the Ion Cannon and... What the hell? The entire area is empty of enemies except the Missile Turrets. Apparently the AI had fetched its forces from there to attack me.
I don't think the patches have changed anything, so this was just a rare occurrence for me. Kinda funny though.

BW campaign AI did have a fair share of RNG.

Stormus

Enjoying it so far. It looks and plays amazingly. It's a faithful remaster. With that said . . . the cut scenes hold up terribly. The first Terran one with them crashing into the zergling was downright cringe-worthy. Not just the CGI either; the writing was sooooo corny. I get that Blizzard didn't want to spend the cash on remastering the cut-scenes, but I would of gladly settled for a image/drawing slideshow with texts in their place.

I've noticed this isn't limited to you, seems common actually. And i find it infuriating, makes figuring out what people are talking about difficult...

The vast majority of Starcraft's fame came after Brood War being released, it is also the competitive version that has been in play for nearly two decades.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, well, i never call any game by their expansion's name, unless i specifically refer to that. I really don't get why people can't do the same... :p

And it just happened again... Fuck this game.
Talking about the saving issue like you were before? If so they have it listed as a known issue so all I can say is maybe just hold off until a patch comes to fix it, I'm sure there will be one soon.

Syf

Banned
Pete just confirmed 2v2 ranked matchmaking will be coming after the 1v1 system is in a state they're satisfied with.

Water

Oooh the Protoss installation mission sucks. Infested terrans everywhere, some of them even burrowed and scripted to pop up after you walk over them. I was just about to beat the mission and then they throw a massive swarm of zerg at me, wiped again despite microing and stimming firebats. I haven't used saves for anything yet but I'm considering it for this one, 15 minutes of memorization trial-and-error and memorization for the 4th time in a row doesn't feel too appealing. I was already going slow and literally stopping for a minute between some fights to get hallucination energy in case there are infested t's. Maybe I should go even slower and only move forward when all shields and energy are full. :-o

So, I was watching iNcontrol's stream a bit ago and he was talking about he and the others from the launch event are possibly planning on doing a show/stream more inline with like the launch event and have been talking about it.

He almost mentioned about doing something along the lines of doing a State of The Game esque event if he reaches 1000 subs (He's almost at 900) and talked about possibly getting IdrA and NonY too.

Hope it all happens, really loved the launch event stream and would really love them to do something like it.

The AI is... random.

Terran 10 has always had scripted (relatively) large, single unit pushes every playthrough for me. Pretty sure it mentions them in the prima strategy guide as well. First is firebats, then vultures, then tanks, then wraiths and battlecruisers. Meanwhile, ghosts are always dropping nukes.

I think it might be my favorite of the original terran missions. There's just something about being blue Terran for me, yknow. Same with red Zerg. Though I don't have a preferred Protoss color.

Why can't you?
Computer couldn't play the slightly newer games before such as Skyrim Special Edition and others from years earlier, now it definitely can't because it's busted for good now. It's why the OT isn't as good as I wanted it to be cause the original OT was in that computer.

Don't have any money to buy a nice computer or laptop either.

It hasn't been fun haha.

Syf

Banned
Ah, that sucks :/

On the bright side maybe these bugs will be gone by the time you're able to play, lol.

Almost done with the original Zerg campaign. Just one mission left. Kind of annoying how the AI adapts to you. Was going mass Hydralisk most of the time, but then Protoss started building a bunch of Reavers, forcing me to go air. It's good AI but it's not that fun to play against.

Woorloog

Banned
Oooh the Protoss installation mission sucks. Infested terrans everywhere, some of them even burrowed and scripted to pop up after you walk over them. I was just about to beat the mission and then they throw a massive swarm of zerg at me, wiped again despite microing and stimming firebats. I haven't used saves for anything yet but I'm considering it for this one, 15 minutes of memorization trial-and-error and memorization for the 4th time in a row doesn't feel too appealing. I was already going slow and literally stopping for a minute between some fights to get hallucination energy in case there are infested t's. Maybe I should go even slower and only move forward when all shields and energy are full. :-o
Use holograms to scout.
Fortunately i remember where the infested spawn...

EDIT Oh, wait, you new that.
Not using saves in that mission is just pure masochism.
I think the Infested terran locations are kinda communicated in the map but yeah, still trial and error.

Computer couldn't play the slightly newer games before such as Skyrim Special Edition and others from years earlier, now it definitely can't because it's busted for good now. It's why the OT isn't as good as I wanted it to be cause the original OT was in that computer.

It hasn't been fun haha.
Ouch man, I knew you were having problems with it but I didn't know it was that bad, that sucks.

I'm sorry. :X

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Welp, I reverted to my old ways: after 7 or so Terran missions, I... used the cheat codes, and never looked back.

I always sucked at strategy games, especially those like Starcraft where it's more about zerg-rushing than turtling. I like to build my base, getting all the upgrades, getting groups of 12 units for each of my favorite unit types... But the game isn't designed to be played that way. It takes way too much time to complete the missions that way, assuming you even succeed. Yet I really enjoy the atmosphere of the game, the voices, the feel... So I keep playing, but with all the cheat codes on.

Just finished the original campaign. Next is Broodwar. The language options give the game even more replay value because I get to enjoy in two other languages I understand, and from what I heard so far, Blizzard did a really good job.

After that I'll tackle some of the mods. Anyone got any recommendations?

City 17

It hasn't been fun haha.

Sorry to hear that, have been in that position before.

Woorloog

Banned
Welp, I reverted to my old ways: after 7 or so Terran missions, I... used the cheat codes, and never looked back.

I always sucked at strategy games, especially those like Starcraft where it's more about zerg-rushing than turtling. I like to build my base, getting all the upgrades, getting groups of 12 units for each of my favorite unit types... But the game isn't designed to be played that way. It takes way too much time to complete the missions that way, assuming you even succeed. Yet I really enjoy the atmosphere of the game, the voices, the feel... So I keep playing, but with all the cheat codes on.

You can help this with some aggression. Expand early, and additional resource allow massing Battlecruisers (or whatever you like) faster and earlier. Maps usually have an easy to take secondary mineral/vespene patch.

Also, it is not uncommon for mission to have shortcuts. For example, New Gettysburg has an undefended area east of the Protoss base, very close to the player's base, just ferry few groups of marines (say, 3 dropshipfuls: 24 marines) with dropships there and you can finish the map quite early.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You can help this with some aggression. Expand early, and additional resource allow massing Battlecruisers (or whatever you like) faster and earlier. Maps usually have an easy to take secondary mineral/vespene patch.

Also, it is not uncommon for mission to have shortcuts. For example, New Gettysburg has an undefended area east of the Protoss base, very close to the player's base, just ferry few groups of marines (say, 3 dropshipfuls: 24 marines) with dropships there and you can finish the map quite early.

Thank you for the tips, but it's too late I'm afraid. Already completed the original campaign with all three races :p. I find I don't have the patience to play a particular level for 1-2 hours or more. Because that's usually the time it takes me for later missions.

Woorloog

Banned
Thank you for the tips, but it's too late I'm afraid. Already completed the original campaign with all three races :p. I find I don't have the patience to play a particular level for 1-2 hours or more. Because that's usually the time it takes me for later missions.

Same here.

But i figure others, especially new players, might find the tips useful. If there are any...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Same here.

But i figure others, especially new players, might find the tips useful. If there are any...

I am, for all intents and purposes, a new player. Of course, I'm familiar with the basics of the game from back in the day, but it's not like I knew/remembered every mission. Plus my APM is the worst. I just like to take my time, and SC is not made for people like me. Still enjoy it though.

Starcraft 1 in particular benefits from flying all over the map and constantly spending your minerals as optimally as possible as soon as they're available WHILE controlling your army while expanding. Hotkey all the things. Especially a building in your base so you can double tap that key to quickly click around everywhere and then back to your army.

The first time I watched a Korean play Starcraft 1 back in the day.... my mind was blown. It looked less like a game and more like a multitasking simulator. But that also made watching tournaments a lot more fun due to the skill level involved.

I remember being able to complete the SC1 campaign no problem, but BW definitely game me trouble. I look forward to trying again to see if I'm any better now that I've seen countless pro matches and still have no idea how build orders work :p

ScOULaris

I am, for all intents and purposes, a new player. Of course, I'm familiar with the basics of the game from back in the day, but it's not like I knew/remembered every mission. Plus my APM is the worst. I just like to take my time, and SC is not made for people like me. Still enjoy it though.

SC is for people like you, though. Do yourself a favor and follow these instructions:

• Log onto Battle.net
  • Pick your closest gateway
  • Click on the "Join" button
  • Click the "Filter" button
  • Select "Use Map Settings" from the game type dropdown
  • Enjoy endless variety across an innumerable number of custom game modes that range from extremely casual to hardcore and competitive.
You wouldn't think so if you only heard about Brood War's competitive appeal over the years, but if you've been playing SC1 for 20 years like some of us have you'd see that UMS (custom maps) is one of the biggest factors behind the game's enduring appeal.

I suck at Starcraft RTS. I've been playing strictly UMS maps since the game launched in 1998. 20 years worth of user-generated content awaits you (tens of thousands of maps). Jump in.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
SC is for people like you, though. Do yourself a favor and follow these instructions:

• Log onto Battle.net
  • Pick your closest gateway
  • Click on the "Join" button
  • Click the "Filter" button
  • Select "Use Map Settings" from the game type dropdown
  • Enjoy endless variety across an innumerable number of custom game modes that range from extremely casual to hardcore and competitive.
You wouldn't think so if you only heard about Brood War's competitive appeal over the years, but if you've been playing SC1 for 20 years like some of us have you'd see that UMS (custom maps) is one of the biggest factors behind the game's enduring appeal.

I suck at Starcraft RTS. I've been playing strictly UMS maps since the game launched in 1998. 20 years worth of user-generated content awaits you (tens of thousands of maps). Jump in.

Oh I'm aware of that, and thank you for the guide. I actually asked for some mod recommendations earlier but got no answer :/.

Anyway, I tried what you said, but weirdly enough I'm not finding any games. Even when I choose all types and set the lowest possible filtering paramaters (i.e. high latency and 2 players), makes no difference. I even created accounts in 3 different regions. Somehow I only found 1 single game. Also, for some reason it says I'm in the "LAN" list in the chat, whereas everyone else is in whatever the channel's name is.

This is all despite me choosing Battle.net and saying "yes" to "whitelist connection". Is it because I chose Broodwar instead of the original or something?

I'm puzzled, tbh.

ScOULaris

Oh I'm aware of that, and thank you for the guide. I actually asked for some mod recommendations earlier but got no answer :/.

Anyway, I tried what you said, but weirdly enough I'm not finding any games. Even when I choose all types and set the lowest possible filtering paramaters (i.e. high latency and 2 players), makes no difference. I even created accounts in 3 different regions. Somehow I only found 1 single game. Also, for some reason it says I'm in the "LAN" list in the chat, whereas everyone else is in whatever the channel's name is.

This is all despite me choosing Battle.net and saying "yes" to "whitelist connection". Is it because I chose Broodwar instead of the original or something?

I'm puzzled, tbh.

It's putting you in the LAN channel? Which gateway are you connecting to?

Also, I didn't think that the "whitelist connection" prompt was a thing anymore. Last time I saw that was during the early 1.18 PTR builds.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It's putting you in the LAN channel? Which gateway are you connecting to?

Also, I didn't think that the "whitelist connection" prompt was a thing anymore. Last time I saw that was during the early 1.18 PTR builds.

It worked in the end, but it's not showing that many games, even if I choose "show all". Just tried this zombie survival RPG thing.

Unless there's something I don't get about how to find games, I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I was expecting tons of goofy games, like RPGs, or the Pac-man map, or the Zergling herding map from back in the day, but it seems there aren't many people playing this. I'm in EU by the way.

ScOULaris

It worked in the end, but it's not showing that many games, even if I choose "show all". Just tried this zombie survival RPG thing.

Unless there's something I don't get about how to find games, I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I was expecting tons of goofy games, like RPGs, or the Pac-man map, or the Zergling herding map from back in the day, but it seems there aren't many people playing this. I'm in EU by the way.
Maybe it's your region. In the US Gateways during the evenings especially there are tons of UMS lobbies open with a wide variety on offer.

Sickafant

How large are UMS maps these days? I might try playing this Architect RPG, but it's pretty large so I don't know if it's realistic to have people download from the lobby or if it's necessary to have get a group together and have everyone predownload it themselves.

http://www.staredit.net/topic/17425/

I'm getting flashbacks of constantly getting banned from game lobbies trying to download maps over dial-up.

Onemic

Anyone know what the tournament scene for BW is right now and what type of support that Remastered is planned to get? Where can I get info on the competitive scene? Only league I know of now is ASL from a vid someone posted here earlier.

Syf

Banned
Anyone know what the tournament scene for BW is right now and what type of support that Remastered is planned to get? Where can I get info on the competitive scene? Only league I know of now is ASL from a vid someone posted here earlier.
Nothing official yet aside from ASL. But we do have Blizzard talking about some sort of new league (source - reliable), OSL possibly starting up again after ASL season 4 (source - same guy). I haven't heard of anything else yet. Pretty much wait and see for now.

ScOULaris

How large are UMS maps these days? I might try playing this Architect RPG, but it's pretty large so I don't know if it's realistic to have people download from the lobby or if it's necessary to have get a group together and have everyone predownload it themselves.

http://www.staredit.net/topic/17425/

I'm getting flashbacks of constantly getting banned from game lobbies trying to download maps over dial-up.
The Architect RPG is one of the largest maps you're likely to come across, and by a large margin. 99% of all UMS maps you'll play on Bnet are very small.

Usually only really complex RPG maps with tons of custom sounds get up there in terms of filesize.

Definitely play The Architect ASAP, though. It's the best RPG map I've ever played in my 20 years with the game.

Onemic

Nothing official yet aside from ASL. But we do have Blizzard talking about some sort of new league (source - reliable), OSL possibly starting up again after ASL season 4 (source - same guy). I haven't heard of anything else yet. Pretty much wait and see for now.

Cool, thanks.

Didnt realize this before but Starcraft is a great spectator game. Much like fighting games it's very easy to watch and immediately have an idea of what's going on even if you barely know anything. Im actually watching ASL season 1 right now and the matches are hella good.

Top Bottom