• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze Is ‘Much Stronger’ Than a Year Ago, Wants to Return as an Industry Leader with PAYDAY 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Starbreeze has since heavily restructured to refocus solely on the PAYDAY franchise and, from the picture painted in the latest quarterly report, the strategy is paying off. Acting CEO Tobias Sjögren explained that PAYDAY is now the largest game community on Steam and Starbreeze as a whole is 'much stronger' than it was a year ago, paving the way to its return as an 'industry leader' with PAYDAY 3.

Our PAYDAY franchise and “games as a service model” really showed their muscles during the year with several successful releases of content for PAYDAY 2. By late December, PAYDAY 2 had become the biggest game community on Steam, with 7.1 million members. We have executed two capital raises during the year and paid off a large proportion of our debts, strengthened our financial position, and thus enabling the continued successful development of PAYDAY 3 in 2021 – all key steps in putting Starbreeze back on the map as an industry leader.
I have implemented changes during the quarter to strengthen our organization within marketing and business development and continued to recruit the best developers to our studios and in so doing create the best possible conditions for the company’s journey ahead. Through the proven strength of the PAYDAY franchise and a highly dedicated development team, we now have a stable platform that supports the continued successful development of PAYDAY 3. We are standing strong and confident in our efforts to close a publishing agreement with a partner that is as passionate about games as a service as Starbreeze is and ready to join us in the successful launch of PAYDAY 3.
Starbreeze is a much stronger company today than it was one year ago. We are hugely confident, thirsting for revenge and thrilled to be able to focus to the max on developing our IP with PAYDAY front and center. With expanded development capacity and continued good demand for everything PAYDAY, we are in prime position for future growth. I am truly looking forward to continuing the work with Starbreeze and the opportunities that lie before us.

SJRB

Gold Member
Considering that most people that made The Darkness left Starbreeze, I don't think that would be a good game at all.
Point is moot anyway. Litterally the first sentence in the OP:

Starbreeze has since heavily restructured to refocus solely on the PAYDAY franchise

FrozenFlame

Point is moot anyway. Litterally the first sentence in the OP:

Starbreeze has since heavily restructured to refocus solely on the PAYDAY franchise
Well aware, without the Payday success they would be gone by now. And that goes back to what I said, why would anyone want a Darkness 3 from the new Starbreeze?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Horrible studio nowadays, so many fucking great games there before. I don't even know how that Payday trash could be that big.

I've no idea how they could have been in such a bad financial situation considering how successful Paypay is but uhm, good for them I guess.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I dont get how people suddenly think Payday 2 is now magically some trash game. The issue is before its stupid safe update with its unlock drills, the game was excellent and the community was strong... there was a definite trend downwards after that...

However payday 2 spent a solid 3 years as really the top cooperative shooter on steam. We spent hours trying to do the diamond heist perfectly with no alarm... you just can't experience that sort gameplay elsewhere... I have moved onto Deep Rock Galactic these days, largely to the downward trend but I think people have been unfair to the Payday series. If they do return to how the first game played out and second game launched, the title will be something worth playing for sure.

ClosBSAS

lol payday...what a shitty bunch of games....enemies appearing out of nowhere, from ceilings, closed doors, skies, bad dificulty, terrible ai....lets hope they come back with a better game.

speedomodel

Payday 2 is a great game on paper and one that I should be playing/loving. Yet every time I jump in, I find myself bored and frustrated. Hopefully Payday 3 is able to nail it.

Reizo Ryuu

The payday 3 art only shows the original group. I always feared that pd3 would feel too barebones at launch compared to pd2.

Hopefully they'll launch with at least 8 heisters, and a bunch of diverse heists. Otherwise I'll just stick with pd2.

Top Bottom