• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Squadrons Launches October 2nd on PC, PS4, XB - Full Cross-Play & VR Support on PC

Lol

0Sbs0ZJ.jpg

👏🏽STUNNING👏🏽AND👏🏽BRAVE 👏🏽
That is actually funny. Maybe the imperial pilot on the left is an alien under the helmet? nah

First I've heard of this, but yeah it is different. Probably just wanted to look as different as BF2 as possible. I like it.

It just doesnt look like space...there is so many weird color blooms all over the place. I greatly prefer the clean look of Battlefront 2, also it just doesnt match the look of Star Wars that Battlefront 2 does.

I probably double dip on this one to be honest. Gonna get it for my Oculus setup so I can play on PC but the wifes a huge star wars fan and when she saw the gameplay she said we had to get it for the One x lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Star Wars fans love their standalone flight games and its been years since the last ROGUE SQUADRON, but I gotta be honest it's hard to be excited about the game when we only got 30 seconds of it, you get the release date but I would trade that for more info on story, and gameplay.

Romulus

Man, you can really tell the developers aren't wanting to drive off the casuals, but it doesn't look like they'll fare too well. There's always skilled based matchmaking though.

Interesting stuff, not just jump in an XWing and dominate. Much more situational.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not good in flying games UNLESS it has Ace Combat rinky dink novice controls. I just want an easy way to fly even if it gimps my controls.

I don't want to worry about shoulder button yaw and shit.

Accelerate and brake. And use the LS for turning and pitch. That is all. Ace Combat or After Burner controls for me.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah I’m gonna skip this like I did with the Battlefronts. If the single player is not the focus I can’t see enjoying this for more than a few hours

If I had a VR set tho, I think I would purchase in a heartbeat

Romulus

Just completely limiting this to 1st person perspective really sends home the message about this game. Just that alone will turn off hundreds of thousands. That's a bonkers move in 2020, especially from EA. I totally get it though, and I like the balls to go this route.

II_JumPeR_I

First time really not feeling this new Star Wars game.

I hope some day there will be another Battlefront that isnt focused on Heroes :/ Big reason why i cant stand Battlefront 2

TwistedSyn

I watched the trailer and it does nothing for me. I can't trust EA after all the shit they keep pulling. They have a long way to go to get my trust back.
I will be getting Everspace 2 instead since it's a game that will be respecting my time and money.

Last edited:
I wish so so much I cared about this, because I really would love to be excited and interested in something new for my PSVR. I am just so fucking done with Star Wars as a franchise though.

yeah I hate to say it but the Kathleen Kennedy trilogy really did fuck it all up and then EA mishandling the franchise until the latest game hasn’t helped. It’s mind boggling how Disney and EA have collectively fucked this franchise.

Romulus

In the interview though, Frazier makes it clear that this game was designed with VR in mind from the very beginning of development. This is not a “VR port” or anything like that — it’s an intrinsic part of the game and was obvious from the beginning.

“We started the game, and we had the initial prototype up and running very quickly,” Frazier said. “Much faster than normal. We were very pleased with that. We got it running in a week. And we had it running in VR by the end of the second week. So this game is like, really, really, really, from the ground up, both 2D and VR.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I feel like this games going to give me insane motion sickness. I didn’t last long in that Battlefront 2 gamemode and this game looks similar to that unfortunately. It also doesn’t look the prettiest, I was shocked at first that it was made in Frostbite. Definitely looks like a downgrade.

noise36

Gives me vibes of xwing tifighter or what ever that old game was.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Figured this from the beginning since the cockpit views take almost all of the screen estate in flat mode. Same thing happened when Battlezone went from VR to flat.

Rat Rage

Normaly I don't care too much about these things, but what's up with the shoehorned diversity thing in the trailer/gameplay trailers?

It actually annoys me quite a bit. Woman pilots everywhere, lots of "in your face" displays of diversity and of course the narrator is woman, too. I'm by no means conservative or the like, but I don't remember Star Wars to be like that. Sure, Star Wars was always diverse with the alien races and so on, but this time you can clearly tell - especially the overfocus on woman - it's deliberately shoehorned in.

Romulus

Normaly I don't care too much about these things, but what's up with the shoehorned diversity thing in the trailer/gameplay trailers?

It actually annoys me quite a bit. Woman pilots everywhere, lots of "in your face" displays of diversity and of course the narrator is woman, too. I'm by no means conservative or the like, but I don't remember Star Wars to be like that. Sure, Star Wars was always diverse with the alien races and so on, but this time you can clearly tell - especially the overfocus on woman - it's deliberately shoehorned in.

Did you just wake up from the 1990s?lol BF2's campaign, and most of the recent star wars movies were like that.

Kronos9x

It looks like it has very simple NON VR features. Probably the game was originally going to be a VR title but EA removed the VR requirement and raised the price.

It doesn't even have basic third person camera or ground to space battles.

Romulus

It looks like it has very simple NON VR features. Probably the game was originally going to be a VR title but EA removed the VR requirement and raised the price.

The interview with the producer said the game was developed from the beginning as a VR and nonVR game.

He also stated that one of their huge inspirations was Xwing vs Tie Fighter. That was a 1st person only game and took place in space.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Sure, Star Wars was always diverse with the alien races and so on, but this time you can clearly tell - especially the overfocus on woman - it's deliberately shoehorned in.

Plenty of diversity in the galaxy, as long as the humans are male and white, right?

Romulus

Plenty of diversity in the galaxy, as long as the humans are male and white, right?

I like how people have no problem with women creating women heroes or African artists creating predominately black characters, but if white males do it, it's oppressive and racist.

Chupanibre

I like how people have no problem with women creating women heroes or African artists creating predominately black characters, but if white males do it, it's oppressive and racist.
That's never going to end and getting upset about it is just going to slowly kill you.

That being said, I've played all the Star Wars games since the original X-Wing in DOS so I'm most likely getting this by default. It looks pretty good to me.

Romulus

That's never going to end and getting upset about it is just going to slowly kill you.

That being said, I've played all the Star Wars games since the original X-Wing in DOS so I'm most likely getting this by default. It looks pretty good to me.

Nah, I'm not even close to upset, I'm just putting it out there.

Are you getting this for VR or standard?

Last edited:

Chupanibre

Nah, I'm not even close to upset, I'm just putting it out there.

Are you getting this for VR or standard?
Standard. I don't have VR as of yet. Finally have the room for it now, though, so maybe in the near future.

If PSVR 2 comes soon I'll most likely jump on that.

D.Final

Banned

Maybe yes.
I think that this is a good choice.
(for the option)

lefty1117

Gold Member

Now you're getting to the root of it. The industry is white-dominated, and consciously or not that's put a damper on representation and diversity for a long time. I consider what's happening now to simply be the band snapping back in the other direction; within a few years we'll settle into a hopefully much happier middle where everyone is included and represented and no one feels ostracized and singled out. Except Dallas Cowboys fans of course. But forcing white guys to create minority characters is just a band aid; what we really need is more diversity in the people designing and directing the games.

dan76

It's a small thing, but in the article they say that there's an option to turn off other players skin customisation, so you don't have to see it, but other players can. This is a win for me, I want it to look like the films as much as possible, don't want to see a Tie Fighter with a go faster stripe. Nice.

Last edited:
It's a small thing, but in the article they say that there's an option to turn off other players skin customisation, so you don't have to see it, but other players can. This is a win for me, I want it to look like the films as much as possible, don't want to see a Tie Fighter with a go faster stripe. Nice.

this is big indeed

let whales buy pink x-wings and let me not care at all

Romulus

I'll use this just because I know it pisses people off who want to look "unique."

Top Bottom