• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: Should the videogames be separate from the films and future TV shows?

GreyHorace

I imagine watching the season ender to The Mandalorian had us all clamoring for a videogame where we play as Mando in a 3rd person shooter blasting away at fools. You could even have some God of War mechanics where Baby Yoda assists him by using Force powers.

That got me thinking though, would Lucasfilm, and namely, Jon Favreau, allow Mando to be used in a videogame? Back in the days of LucasArts Star Wars games sometimes would let you play as characters of the movies with official game tie-ins like the Super NES games or the numerous titles based on the Prequel trilogy. Other times though, they'd create original characters like Kyle Katarn or Bendak Starkiller for the bigger titles with stories adjacent to the narrative of the movies. Spinoff material that comprised much of the original Expanded Universe.

But in today's AAA gaming industry, with the Star Wars license now under Electronic Arts (a fact that still disgusts me), would any future games allow you to play as characters from any future movies of TV shows? The other big Disney property, Marvel, has made clear that their future videogame projects will be set in a universe seperate from that of the comics and the Cinematic Universe. They already released a great title with last year's Spider-Man by Insomniac games and next year we have the Avengers game from Square Enix.

Star Wars though, with all the media under it, is all set in the same universe and the games are sure to include references and sometimes cameos of characters who've appeared in other adjacent works. But would any future games allow to play as characters like Mando? Or will they continue to create original characters for the games, like Cal Kestis in the recent Jedi Fallen Order (a game I really need to get)?

What are your thoughts on this GAF?

Caffeine

I would prefer if they stepped away from canon bounds so they could do whatever they felt like with out being constrained. I think thats why the earlier games are looked upon more fond compared to this current output from EA.

Fbh

Honestly, yeah.
I just started Jedi Fallen Order the other day (please don't spoilt it) and while the story seems interesting, the fact it's set during the time period of the movies and it's canon means I already know they won't be able to do anything too crazy or cool because we never heard anything about these characters

GreyHorace

I would prefer if they stepped away from canon bounds so they could do whatever they felt like with out being constrained. I think thats why the earlier games are looked upon more fond compared to this current output from EA.
This EA era has produced THREE AAA titles, two multuplayer shooters (Battlefront 1 & 2), and a Soulslike Metroidvania (Jedi Fallen Order) in the six years since they bought the license in 2013. Meanwhile they cancel a promising title (Project Ragtag) and continuously shit out mobile games.

That is crap output compared to the glory days of Lucasarts. Between 2002 and 2006 LucasArts released Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, the original Battlefront 1 & 2, Republic Commando, Bounty Hunter and Empire at War.

Disney/LucasFilm need to get a clue and pry the license away from EA's greedy hands. They should allow other studios to take a crack at a Star Wars game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No gamers and movie viewers have the choice to separate them and unless you absolutely have to pick a Star Wars movie or a Star Wars game, you know what is apart of the movie series.

molasar

Banned
Yes, they should. The same thing with other films like Alien, Predator or Terminator. Just use the following recipe ingredients: chosen iconic elements from the franchise, what if scenario, gameplay mechanics and you are good to go as long your concept stays cool.

brian0057

Banned
They should be separate from EA.
Also, yes.
Some of the best STAR WARS games have fuck all to do with the movies... except maybe Episode I: Racer.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would watch a KOTOR movie or series even if they followed the same major plot lines. But I like them to get away from what we know in order to have more freedom with the characters. That is what the High Republic stuff is supposed to be doing. .

Jethalal

Banned
Same setting would be fine but don't adapt any TV or movie property. Adaptations are rarely good. Look at Spider-Man games, TASM 1 and 2 were shitty movie adaptations but 2018 wasn't forced to have connections with anything and it was great.

Top Bottom