• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Will Be an Action RPG – Rumor

Bullet Club

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake Will Be an Action RPG – Rumor​

The rumored Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is apparently moving away from the original's turn-based combat, according to rumors circulating online.

MrMattyPlays reported in a recent video discussing the rumored remake that the game will be an action role-playing game of sorts, featuring a combat system that will be more accessible. MrMattyPlays doesn't know any specifics, though, so it could be something more than straight, action combat.

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake has been rumored for a while, and it has yet to be announced officially. Earlier this week, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier revealed that the remake is indeed real and it is currently in development by Aspyr Media. The American developer already has a long history with Star Wars games, as it has developed, among other titles, the mobile port of the BioWare RPG.

Choose Your Path

It is four thousand years before the Galactic Empire and hundreds of Jedi Knights have fallen in battle against the ruthless Sith. You are the last hope of the Jedi Order. Can you master the awesome power of the Force on your quest to save the Republic? Or will you fall to the lure of the dark side? Hero or villain, saviour or conqueror... you alone will determine the destiny of the entire galaxy!
  • A brand new Star Wars role-playing experience with unique characters, creatures, vehicles and planets.
  • Learn to use the Force with over 40 different powers and build your own lightsaber.
  • Adventure through some of the most popular Star Wars locations, including Tatooine and the Wookiee homeworld Kashyyyk.
  • Choose your party from nine customisable characters, including Twi'leks, droids and Wookiees.
  • Travel to eight enormous worlds in your own starship, the Ebon Hawk.

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake has yet to be announced. We will keep you updated on the game as soon as more come in on it, so stay tuned for all the latest news.

Source: WCCFTech

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

How anyone enjoys turn-based is beyond me. You’re just pressing buttons and watching animations play out. I liked P5 Royal I guess, but action games are just better in every way.
It was turn-based in that it was literally running d20 3.5 edition ruleset under the hood, but you could queue up actions in a pause menu that would then be executed in 'real time'. It wasn't like JRPG turn based.

MiguelItUp

Well that certainly doesn't sound like the remake a ton of fans of the original would really want, but we'll see I suppose. I guess it could be a full on remake with gameplay changes like FF7: Remake...

Guess we'll see in due time!

Just don't forget to take any and all the stuff like this with a grain of salt.

BlackTron

I think it would be more accurate to call it a reimagining, same as with FF7. But, studios/publishers get to decide the definition of words themselves, I guess.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I love the KOTOR story and setting, but really didn't like the turn based combat. I'd be really happy if this has modern current gen graphics and is an ARPG. Would easily make it my most anticipated game!

SCB3

Hmm, I'm not sure how to feel about that, on the one hand the combat was the weakest part of KotOR until you powered up enough and tbh hitting someone with a Lightsaber for a little amount of damage feels wrong

I'm open to trying it I guess. But I'm not that optimistic.

The whole point of KOTOR is that it's a D&D game, with the ruleset lifted straight from the books. Every aspect of the game revolves around that combat system. It's basically going to be a completely different game.

Marlenus

The best parts or Kotor was the story. If they redo combat that can still work tbh. Not sure ARPG is the way to go with it but there is room foe improvement.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm open to trying it I guess. But I'm not that optimistic.

The whole point of KOTOR is that it's a D&D game, with the ruleset lifted straight from the books. Every aspect of the game revolves around that combat system. It's basically going to be a completely different game.
No, the whole point of KOTOR is to deliver a great Star Wars experience. The D&D ruleset was nothing more than a framework for the mechanics. Bioware took the lessons learned from KOTOR and made Mass Effect, a game delivering a solid yet similar experience without any D&D to be found.

No, the whole point of KOTOR is to deliver a great Star Wars experience. The D&D ruleset was nothing more than a framework for the mechanics. Bioware took the lessons learned from KOTOR and made Mass Effect, a game delivering a solid yet similar experience without any D&D to be found.
The first ME was pretty close to the same RPG format of KOTOR. It had more active aiming, but was still stat based for everything. Then, as you correctly pointed out - they dropped that approach for Mass Effect 2. It was a great game.

Then .... every other game since has been unplayable for me. But this isn't Bioware, so I guess we'll see.

I enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order. Even Respawn seemed to be pushed to the limit when making a high quality action game that felt properly responsive. I'm not that optimistic about KOTOR, but I'll see what happens.

Kokoloko85

I was hoping for something like Witcher 1 which was kinda similar, but Im glad and happy with an Action RPG.
Id love some sword combat like Sekiro, it really makes the sword fighting awesome and addictive. Imagine lightsaber battles like that, bit like Fallen Order but much better

I played it years after the fact and couldn't even figure out the combat, lol. It was the Xbox version.
Pretty similar system to FFXI, FFXII, Xenoblade. Your normal attack is just an auto-attack that goes on it's own. Then you select abilities you want to use, and they recharge on a cooldown. That's really it.

You can also pause the game anytime you want to think about your situation, or you can queue several actions in a row and just sit while the computer does what you input. Pretty easy really once you get used to it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's pretty cool actually.

At least that WOULD BE cool.. who fucking knows if this random YouTuber would know? lol

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Pretty similar system to FFXI, FFXII, Xenoblade. Your normal attack is just an auto-attack that goes on it's own. Then you select abilities you want to use, and they recharge on a cooldown. That's really it.

You can also pause the game anytime you want to think about your situation, or you can queue several actions in a row and just sit while the computer does what you input. Pretty easy really once you get used to it.
That sounds familiar, I'd probably be just fine with it now cause I've played a bit of XC and XBX but back then I remember being confused as hell. lol.

Last edited:
That sounds familiar, I'd probably be just fine with it now cause I've played a bit of XC and XBX but back then I remember being confused as hell. lol.
I can see how it's off-putting honestly lol. But yeah, you'd pick it up I'm sure after a bit.

It did help that I played D&D 3.5 at the time. Some of the stat screens are just straight D&D and wouldn't make a ton of sense without some context or reading. But the gameplay itself isn't too bad.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I played it years after the fact and couldn't even figure out the combat, lol. It was the Xbox version.
That was the version I played too. I wasn't too keen on learning that it was turn based and was more interested in the story, but I stuck it out and was ok with it's quasi-action turn based style. Def. Not my preference, and combat was easily the worst part of the game to me. I'm all for a remake with a more action focused combat direction.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Being upset about action rpg? You have to be joking. Gamers today don’t show up and watch numbers fly off the screen that may of happened 20 years ago but not today.

*Vomits* these mega companies keep underestimating players. Not everything has to be action rpg turn based if good will sell just as much.

Even that is too complicated for modern day players not happening. Anytime you have to pause and think strategy is too much. Since ff12 combat is more similar to real time pause crpg games like baldurs gate as opposed to turn based like xcom which are much easier at a casual level i highly doubt it.

Griffon

Well... while the first impulse is to dust off the pitchfork, Kotor combat was ass.

They should've made it full turn-based. Either that or copy FF7R, this system would fit Kotor perfectly.

Top Bottom