• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic Remake Revealed

Damn, I’d love an Alien/Aliens game published by PlayStation. But I’m a bit more skeptical after how Predator Hunting Grounds turned out.
That seemed a little different to me as it just sort of appeared out of nowhere so I get the feeling that it almost wasn't a planned thing for them and almost picked it up to fill a space they had. With this Aspyr make it sound like they've been working with Lucasfilm Games and SIE for some time but lets be honest, if they had been working on the game for some time then we wouldn't have got that CGI trailer so it's more than likely the contracts that have taken time to sort it.
It really feels like it was all a last minute thing so it could well have been in the past few weeks that everything was agreed.

People on Twitter continue to disappoint and yet also entertain me. Just from looking at the first tweet that was posted about this not being her favourite game, they somehow managed to completely remove the context of the Tweet.

Rk0Jq9z.png

That took me all of twenty seconds and it was only the first Tweet they used. Never use edited social media posts to get facts about people that somebody, somewhere has decided they didn't like.
I've not played Anthem because everything about that seemed terrible from the first time they showed it and I really don't think that Kafka or Bukowski could have writen that back into being interesting.
Call of Duty Vanguard is certainly not my thing but although Activision often like to pretend that there's something going on there and that their gameplay somehow respects the soldiers (Clearly they don't know Spec Ops: The Line) and that their plots really consist of anything more substantial than Good Guys vs. Bad Guys. I'm just not sure anything to judge somebody's writing ability on.
However I have played the Spider-Man DLC and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and there was certainly nothing about that would make me concerned about this game at this point in time.
Personally, I find it far more useful to wait until I know something about the game before I decide to dismiss it and I get the feeling that we're a very long way from being able to do something like that right now.

Yeaaaaaaaah the more I hear I think you all should just play the original and experience OG Carth Onasi and Bastila Shan.

They will probably ruin Juhani too. SMH
I wish the OG KOTOR 1 and Kotor 2 were both on ps4 so I could. Don't do pc or xbox any more sadly.
Think there will be nudity in this game and that Bastilla will be changed from Straight to Bisexual?

People on Twitter continue to disappoint and yet also entertain me. Just from looking at the first tweet that was posted about this not being her favourite game, they somehow managed to completely remove the context of the Tweet.

Rk0Jq9z.png

That took me all of twenty seconds and it was only the first Tweet they used. Never use edited social media posts to get facts about people that somebody, somewhere has decided they didn't like.
I've not played Anthem because everything about that seemed terrible from the first time they showed it and I really don't think that Kafka or Bukowski could have writen that back into being interesting.
Call of Duty Vanguard is certainly not my thing but although Activision often like to pretend that there's something going on there and that their gameplay somehow respects the soldiers (Clearly they don't know Spec Ops: The Line) and that their plots really consist of anything more substantial than Good Guys vs. Bad Guys. I'm just not sure anything to judge somebody's writing ability on.
However I have played the Spider-Man DLC and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and there was certainly nothing about that would make me concerned about this game at this point in time.
Personally, I find it far more useful to wait until I know something about the game before I decide to dismiss it and I get the feeling that we're a very long way from being able to do something like that right now.
Read the others.

Pantz

Gold Member
Worried for the combat as well as the story.

Not actually worried, the original is still there if I want to play it again. I'm just not getting my hopes up for it.

I wonder what they will do with the combat. Will they turn it into more of an action game like they did with VII Remake?

Anyway, the original is still there and this should at least have cool looking locations if nothing else.

Corndog

Banned

Rk0Jq9z.png

I don’t get what point you are trying to make. This lady is a walking disaster. Also I’ve been told to wait until a game comes out to determine if it’s good a lot. Every single time the game was trash. Every time. This will be no different.

I'm not seeing anything in her tweets that are any better or worse than you get in any tweets.
As to which Star Wars film she feels is best, I seriously don't feel that any of them are any good so whichever one people have as their favourite is of no relevance.
I've just not seen anything in the writing of the games that were posted in that tweet that I've played as being of any concern with her being taken on as one of the writers.
The reason I posted that tweet was simply because this was the tweet that suggested her saying that was of relevance in some way.
EbXx43v.jpg

I can accuse you of hiding from reality as you are clearly hiding from reality. All I am doing is calling a spade a spade.

There is a long and storied history with Sam Maggs for being both a poor writer and a reprehensible person, the fact that she was hired on, even as a consultant, is reason enough for anyone with half a brain cell to be concerned.

Not sure if you are Sam Maggs herself or some simp trying desperately to get into her pants, but have some self-respect, mate.

No, you're making a fallacious argument that's not based on reality or any real facts at all.

In fact, you've completely changed the argument from "Sam Maggs is a woke Star Wars-hating SJW who will pollute KOTOR Remake with her radical leftist political propaganda" to "Sam Maggs is a bad writer".

Hahahahaha.... that was never even the argument being had in this forum. And anyone who has played R&C:ARA will not agree that her work on the game was anywhere near as offensive as you seem to want to suggest.

She may indeed be a bad writer, but given her limited contribution to the upcoming KOTOR remake as a non-staff, non-lead consultant, the quality of her work only rising to the level of mediocre at best (according to you) is a complete non-issue, not even worth discussing.

By moving the goalposts and changing your argument you've undermined your position and the whole argument being present by many disingenuous posters like you in this thread... lol... you've done my work for me and dismantled the shitty arguments all by yourself. Great job!

I'm not seeing anything in her tweets that are any better or worse than you get in any tweets.
As to which Star Wars film she feels is best, I seriously don't feel that any of them are any good so whichever one people have as their favourite is of no relevance.
I've just not seen anything in the writing of the games that were posted in that tweet that I've played as being of any concern with her being taken on as one of the writers.
The reason I posted that tweet was simply because this was the tweet that suggested her saying that was of relevance in some way.
EbXx43v.jpg
If I posted that I fucking hate you with every fiber of my being for years, would you trust me to write and read your eulogy?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No, you're making a fallacious argument that's not based on reality or any real facts at all.

In fact, you've completely changed the argument from "Sam Maggs is a woke Star Wars-hating SJW who will pollute KOTOR Remake with her radical leftist political propaganda" to "Sam Maggs is a bad writer".

Hahahahaha.... that was never even the argument being had in this forum. And anyone who has played R&C:ARA will not agree that her work on the game was anywhere near as offensive as you seem to want to suggest.

She may indeed be a bad writer, but given her limited contribution to the upcoming KOTOR remake as a non-staff, non-lead consultant, the quality of her work only rising to the level of mediocre at best (according to you) is a complete non-issue, not even worth discussing.

By moving the goalposts and changing your argument you've undermined your position and the whole argument being present by many disingenuous posters like you in this thread... lol... you've done my work for me and dismantled the shitty arguments all by yourself. Great job!

Changing the argument? Offensive writing? You seriously should go back to school and learn basic reading comprehension as I did and stated neither of those things.

Seek help, kiddo. Your strange and mentally ill need to white knight for psychotics won't get you far. Have more self respect for yourself.

Last edited:
Changing the argument? Offensive writing? You seriously should go back to school and learn basic reading comprehension as I did and stated neither of those things.

Seek help, kiddo. Your strange and mentally ill need to white knight for psychotics won't get you far. Have more self respect for yourself.

Your puerile insistence on personal insults only demonstrates your inability to defend your untenable arguments using reasoning and logic.

And it's obvious why, when your arguments are founded on fallacy and false logic, to begin with.

To be fair, if you were to write with the clarity of thought that you do on here then I probably wouldn't even trust you to write your own name. Even more so if your name was Reactionary McFibre.
Ya mad? Nobody spells it "Fibre" here, unless you reach for croissant first thing or are just a fucking weirdo. For years she posted hate, why should anyone trust her to write anything? Is that clearer for you? Shall I post her videos here.

Last edited:
If you feel that you need to do something to enforce your beliefs you really shouldn't feel the need to ask others if you should so it. It's your choice, you're doing it for you. 🤷‍♂️

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'll never understand these women who spend all day on Twitter complaining about some imaginary man / men. They all always tweet out the samey, cringey shit. I feel sorry for their husbands, boyfriends, and children. Imagine how all of that misguided rage, frustration, and projection must manifest itself in her personal life.

Anyway, she is just one writer and some of the stuff she worked on was good, so I am still cautiously optimistic.

manfestival

Too many people out here with expectations set too high for the current Bioware. They haven't done anything redeeming in a long time. The whole "Sam Maggs" thing is just par for their current course.... sadly.

kuncol02

Banned
Too many people out here with expectations set too high for the current Bioware. They haven't done anything redeeming in a long time. The whole "Sam Maggs" thing is just par for their current course.... sadly.
Good thing then that it's not Bioware game. Unfortunately Aspyr snatched loots of people who left Bioware after Andromeda and Anthem fiasco. Including some of the writers.

manfestival

Good thing then that it's not Bioware game. Unfortunately Aspyr snatched loots of people who left Bioware after Andromeda and Anthem fiasco. Including some of the writers.
Still not a good thing then. Sounds like it is basically Bioware 2.0. No good thing silver lining there even if they don't fly under the same name.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

The writers are the reason why Anthem and Andromeda sucked as much as they did. If they had good narratives, people could look past the bugs, glitches, and shitty gameplay decisions.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are they implying this is a full console exclusive and not timed?

Looks like it, and that's what I've been saying. That's how I read the PR statement, "PS5 console exclusive at launch and also coming on PC."

I think it'll be like Nioh: it'll launch on PS5 as a full exclusive. Then after the timed exclusivity period, it will launch on PC. And that's it.

Marlenus

What concerns me is why do they have to rewrite the story if the game’s story has already been completed for many years? I don’t like where this is going. Oh yeah, gotta update it for modern audiences, right?

There are a few things that could be changed.

1) The dark side path is non canon for KOTOR2 and TOR so that could be changed without consequence.

2) Dark side / Light side options are very black and white. Kotor 2 did much better with grey choices or choices that appear one way on the surface but are actually the other. More of that would be appreciated.

3) Plenty of side quests could be re-written or have more depth added to them.

4) HK47... If they change him at all then do not want.

Point is though there are lots of changes that could be made which would enhance the game overall from the original. If they go this path though there is also plenty that can go wrong so it is higher risk

Out of all the potential studios to work on this title, why has it fallen to Aspyr? I can't say I have much confidence in their ability given their history. I'm sure they're a decent enough studio but it still worries me.

Tomeru

Out of all the potential studios to work on this title, why has it fallen to Aspyr? I can't say I have much confidence in their ability given their history. I'm sure they're a decent enough studio but it still worries me.
Theyre working with sony closely on this, if it makes you feel any better.

The writers are the reason why Anthem and Andromeda sucked as much as they did. If they had good narratives, people could look past the bugs, glitches, and shitty gameplay decisions.
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not...
You make it sound like pretty much everything about the game was broken and that the team of a dozen or so writers could have somehow saved everything. I can see that going down well on here and in reviews, "It's a shame that it has shitty gameplay and falls to pieces as you play it...but at least it has a nice story".

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wish the OG KOTOR 1 and Kotor 2 were both on ps4 so I could. Don't do pc or xbox any more sadly.
Think there will be nudity in this game and that Bastilla will be changed from Straight to Bisexual?
Not sure. I expect poorly written characters as opposed to their fleshed out OG counterparts that had actual character development. But time will tell.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not...
You make it sound like pretty much everything about the game was broken and that the team of a dozen or so writers could have somehow saved everything. I can see that going down well on here and in reviews, "It's a shame that it has shitty gameplay and falls to pieces as you play it...but at least it has a nice story".

I quite literally stated the numerous issues with the game, but I also know gamers and those who play RPGs. There is a reason why games like the original Drakengard and Nier, as well as titles like Alpha Protocol are well liked. It certainly as shit isn't the gameplay.

Good writing goes a long, long way.

Top Bottom