• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic Remake Revealed

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lame as hell.
747154.jpg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
By this logic, would Microsoft be able to do the same if they want to? I dunno why, but this seems unlikely. I think Microsoft is not known for remaking games...they probably weren't going to do anything with the game and so maybe they cut a deal with Sony.
If MS owned the IP, yes. Or if MS made a deal with an entity that owned the IP (like in this case, Sony made a deal with LG).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
A few more relevant facts about Sam Maggs (if they're at all worth anything to some of you guys anymore):

• Sam Maggs is not a permanent staff of the Aspyr team. She's a consultant and therefore working with Aspyr as an external contractor
  • Sam Maggs was also a lead writer on Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart, which launched to rave reviews and is a fantastic game many of us have played and enjoyed which did not contain any of the radical left woke BS some of you are trying to fear-monger over this game

Given the above, together with the fact that Sam Maggs is not a senior writer on this project, nor is the project a wholly original work; in that much of the OG game dialogue and text will be retained, the FUD many on this forum seem to want to spread about this game is just downright disgraceful.

It's...

For crying out loud, she's clearly not a fan of Star Wars other than the sequels. Her Tweets prove this.

Why have you got such a hard on for proving it's fine for her to be working on this game?

If someone shows active distain for a franchise, and supports the worst aspects of it, they shouldn't be involved in that franchise. Why is this so hard for you to get?

You're concern trolling.

Sam Maggs is not even listed as a Senior Writer or Lead Writer at Aspyr. She's not "writing the game", in the sense that she's leading in any creative capacity.

All writers listed in Linkedin at Aspyr are:
  • Courtney Woods - Lead Writer
  • Jessica (Jessica Ilko) Sliwinski - Senior Writer
  • Jordan Lemos - Senior Writer
  • Nicole Stanford - Game Writer
  • Sam Maggs - Writer
So given there are three or four more senior people than her on the writing team, I don't think any of the fearmongering and concern trolling is at all warranted.
and Darth Vader wasn't the leader of the Empire...

Corndog

Banned
For crying out loud, she's clearly not a fan of Star Wars other than the sequels. Her Tweets prove this.

Why have you got such a hard on for proving it's fine for her to be working on this game?

If someone shows active distain for a franchise, and supports the worst aspects of it, they shouldn't be involved in that franchise. Why is this so hard for you to get?
Because they like their ideology.

Because personal views on the game, the IP and the lore is irrelevant if she has little to no creative freedom to influence the game.

The fact that you and others refuse to acknowledge this fact shows your clear disingenuity and the agenda you're pushing in these threads.

If you really cared so much about the political views of every individual staff member working at a game studio, then you end up an absolute neurotic wreck of a human being, paranoid that the radical leftist boogeyman is going to ruin every game for you.....

...because, news flash, there is a Sam Maggs working at practically every western games studio based in the US and Canada. That is the prevailing culture of the tech industry in those regions.

Are you going to boycott every game before you've even given them a chance to see how they turn out?

No... you're either being incredibly disingenuous or fucking dense as hell.

Topher

Gold Member
Whether that is the basis for view of her qualifications or not. He is still right. Last Jedi is objectively bad in most things that it does.

I think it is bad as well, but that is entirely subjective position, not objective.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Because personal views on the game, the IP and the lore is irrelevant if she has little to no creative freedom to influence the game.

The fact that you and others refuse to acknowledge this fact shows your clear disingenuity and the agenda you're pushing in these threads.

If you really cared so much about the political views of every individual staff member working at a game studio, then you end up an absolute neurotic wreck of a human being, paranoid that the radical leftist boogeyman is going to ruin every game for you.....

...because, news flash, there is a Sam Maggs working at practically every western games studio based in the US and Canada. That is the prevailing culture of the tech industry in those regions.

Are you going to boycott every game before you've even given them a chance to see how they turn out?

No... you're either being incredibly disingenuous or fucking dense as hell.

Calm down, sport. You’re getting your knickers in a right twist over this.

The complaint is that Maggs clearly dislikes Star Wars fans and loves the sequels.

If you can’t see why - in this specific incidence - that is problematic in terms of her being involved with Kotor’s remake then you’re the one being wilfully dense, because all you’re doing is seeing the whole thing through a political dimension.

You’re essentially claiming it’s fine for someone anti classic Star Wars to be working on a remake of something very much classic Star Wars.

If you are a fan of the sequels, and the changes Disney have made to the franchise, then do just come out and say it. It’ll make everything easier.

Maggs has a horrible attitude towards Star Wars and its fandom. It is worrying that they’ve actively hired a person like that to work on such a classic game. It’s as simple as that.

Last edited:
Calm down, sport. You’re getting your knickers in a right twist over this.

The complaint is that Maggs clearly dislikes Star Wars fans and loves the sequels.

If you can’t see why - in this specific incidence - that is problematic in terms of her being involved with Kotor’s remake then you’re the one being wilfully dense, because all you’re doing is seeing the whole thing through a political dimension.

You’re essentially claiming it’s fine for someone anti classic Star Wars to be working on a remake of something very much classic Star Wars.

If you are a fan of the sequels, and the changes Disney have made to the franchise, then do just come out and say it. It’ll make everything easier.

Maggs has a horrible attitude towards Star Wars and its fandom. It is worrying that they’ve actively hired a person like that to work on such a classic game. It’s as simple as that.

WTF are you talking about?

WTF do the Star Wars movies have to do with a star-wars-hating wokester working on the game in a non-influential capacity?

At this point, I'm forced to assume you're either entirely delusional and need psychological help, or you're a salty Xbox fanboy/astroturfer trying to run interference because your daddy/employer xbox isn't getting this game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
WTF are you talking about?

WTF do the Star Wars movies have to do with a star-wars-hating wokester working on the game in a non-influential capacity?

Right, well… you’re clearly having some kind of weird episode and are a person who can’t carry on a conversation without resorting to insult, so this will be my last reply to you on this matter.

She’s a writer on the game. That means she will be writing story on the game. On a Star Wars game. Having expressed a clear distain for Star Wars.

She’s not the fucking tea lady.

The fact you can’t see this as an issue is quite incredible.

Aspyr is a weird choice..

This game, while great, needs remade from scratch and not sure they have ever done anything like this. Maybe not the big budget remake I was expecting but fingers crossed.

Corndog

Banned
Fuck off with your BS ad hominem projection, asshole!

I'm a conservative centrist politically. My personal political views share almost nothing in common with the radical leftist ideology that pollutes the modern American leftist zeitgeist.

You want receipts, check my fucking post history.
Sure. That’s why youre so angry.

Last edited:
Yes, it is written so in every dev's diary that KOTOR is objectively bad.
I'm probably referring to the horses-on-a-Star -Destroyer scene, or the cannon-breaking Vice Admiral Gender Studies ramming the ships with hyperspace.. That one was tough. Now, the ones who hate SW and like it's subversion are rewriting one of the best rpgs of all time. Doesn't look good.

Andodalf

Banned
Whenever I see quotes like this about Remakes...

Or some other form of "we need to modernize it!", always makes me shake my head. Who the fuck wants things "modernized?" I know most people probably feel the classics are more impactful than today's modern trash. Not to mention, "Modernizing" often always is a codeword for WOKE these days from the California creative types.
Bringing it to a modern audience just means re releasing it. Now if they say they’re adapting it for the modern audience, that’s when I’ll worry.

And honestly just seeing that they’re recording new VO, I’m worried they’ll change a lot.

I agree that Sony is helping but it doesn’t look like they are leading development. Also unless I missed it no actual Sony studio is listed. Sounds more like what happened on death stranding development.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but it mentions Lucasfilm Games in there somewhere:

The team here at Aspyr and Sony Interactive Entertainment have joined forces with Lucasfilm Games to bring you a remake of this classic Star Wars adventure. We’re rebuilding one of the greatest RPGs of all time for a new generation with modern tech, features, visuals and more, while maintaining the integrity of the story and characters that we’ve come to cherish.

Sounds clearly as full on remake. [think latest Resident evil, not mass effect]

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I have to say I didnt play KOTOR at the time, and when it popped out on Gamepass I give it a try because of the nostalgia / hype around here. Its definitely one of those games that didnt age very well (like most old 3d games) so definitely this will need to be a Bluepoint like remake to make it properly work.

Last edited:
Does a console "launch" exclusive have the same weight as a console exclusive.

I supposed what we dont know right now is how long the wait will be before the game comes to the other consoles.
We can ask FF VII Remake that question and, yes, apparently it does xD.

With SIE publishing the game (at least on PlayStation), and Sony funding at least some of the development, they could have an extended exclusivity period for it on console. Probably at least 1-year, but it could even be 2-year. At that point it does start to have a much bigger impact because, again, look at what's happening right now with FF VII Remake.

I don't personally like timed exclusivity as a pure moneyhat, but it seems Sony's taking a role here like they did with SFV, so if Microsoft wanted to prevent that from happening, they very easily could've been the ones co-funding it instead. But they've chosen not to, for whatever reason, and we can't point a finger at Sony for capitalizing on a business opportunity.

I don’t think lucasfilm has any developers. I know they did in the past but I believe they scrapped them years ago.
Yeah sounds like Aspyr is the main developer and looking at their previous projects this will be by far their biggest undertakeing. :messenger_sad_relieved: They will need all the help they can get on this.

Ol'Scratch

We can ask FF VII Remake that question and, yes, apparently it does xD.

With SIE publishing the game (at least on PlayStation), and Sony funding at least some of the development, they could have an extended exclusivity period for it on console. Probably at least 1-year, but it could even be 2-year. At that point it does start to have a much bigger impact because, again, look at what's happening right now with FF VII Remake.

I don't personally like timed exclusivity as a pure moneyhat, but it seems Sony's taking a role here like they did with SFV, so if Microsoft wanted to prevent that from happening, they very easily could've been the ones co-funding it instead. But they've chosen not to, for whatever reason, and we can't point a finger at Sony for capitalizing on a business opportunity.
Most of the same people screaming "Money hats!!" will the same ones fapping when more information comes out about the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout, because that is totally different.
I miss the NES/SNES/SMS/GENESIS days when yeah people would toss barbs about their system having a game and the other not but nobody would spend hours and hours bitching and whining about it on an internet. If you want all the games buy all the systems.

McCheese

It never ends.

It's so bizarre, who is funding this idiocracy still?

I read her tweets thinking folks were overblowing it, but nope - she legit dislikes both the franchise and it's fans and is excited about "changing things" in a fucking remake!

It's just so odd, you would think when it comes to the talent pool for video-game writers, finding someone who loves both Starwars and RPG games would be like shooting fish in a barrel, who in the industry wouldn't love to work on this and pay their respects to one of the greatest RPGs? but nope, they must really go out of their way to find someone who is more interested in what they can change.

I can just about get my head around why they might do it, maybe they think if they just had existing fans working on it, then it would limit it's appeal to the existing fandom, and that by somehow putting someone who dislikes the original or is interested in shaking things up, it will somehow improve the final product and appeal to a wider audience. But we have the receipts from the past few games they tried to do this on that demonstrate it's commercial suicide and leaves neither side happy, who liked Andromeda? who thinks in retrospect having that guy with the "white mens tears" mug as the lead writer worked out well?

As you said, it never ends (until they finally go bust)

Last edited:

manfestival

I think it is bad as well, but that is entirely subjective position, not objective.
I was not referring to your opinion nor mine. You did not understand my post or maybe do not understand that movies can be viewed from an objective stand point for what they offer.

Top Bottom