• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic Remake Revealed

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Wasted time, resources and money. Should have just made a third game. The first game isn't even particularly good.
Leaving Spongebob Squarepants GIF

FunkMiller

Worried this game is going to be woke trash.

Well, that’s any hype I had for this officially dead.

You don’t hire somebody like this unless you intend to make a lot of changes to appeal to a certain sub section of the gaming audience. And you don’t hire them if you have respect for the original story, characters or its themes.

I am not in the sub section they are trying to appeal to. Therefore, I have lost all interest in this.

You don’t hire somebody like this unless you intend to make a lot of changes to appeal to a certain sub section of the gaming audience. And you don’t hire them if you have respect for the original story, characters or its themes.

I am not in the sub section they are trying to appeal to. Therefore, I have lost all interest in this.
Still will be getting it, but it's not a good look. Just hope theres someone else to corect big mistakes.

Schmick

Yeah, this felt like a big middle finger to Microsoft by them considering they opened the show (proper) with it, of all things. At the same time, begs the question why Microsoft didn't pitch in for it in any way, the optimistic answer would be they might be working on their own SW game with an internal team...I mean actual official Star Wars, not inspired-by-Star Wars like Starfield.

Anyway it's a power move for sure, the only thing up for question is the studio itself. Doesn't seem like they have much of a prior catalog to go off on. Then again they have Sony's backing as well as LucasArt Games' so I'm sure they'll fight to make sure it's high quality if need be.
Does a console "launch" exclusive have the same weight as a console exclusive.

I supposed what we dont know right now is how long the wait will be before the game comes to the other consoles.

sircaw

Banned

Your gonna play it, don't lie.

I think you're going to look very dashing with your rainbow-colored lightsabre "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

Guess my cis white male ass aint gonna be fucking Bastila then

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ok… so which Sony studio is partnering up to help make KOTOR remastered?
The developer said in the aftershow that they are working with PlayStation Studios teams on this one. That may mean xDev or multiple PlayStation Studios are helping them make the game. We'll get more specifics when the credits roll, if the devs don't specify the names before that.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Spoiler alert: That subsection doesn't exist.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wasted time, resources and money. Should have just made a third game. The first game isn't even particularly good.
You people are the fucking worst. By all means, let's pretend that every person in existence has played a game made in 2003.

For many people this will be a new game.

It's a shame so many are too fucking stupid and self-centered to see this.

Lupingosei

Banned
Does normal person not interested in writing game in the industry? My expectation just hit rock bottom.
They do, but Twitter demands their weirdos to take over and companies bow over to Twitter even when they are not buying their products.

For example, the Twitter weirdos don't buy comics but Marvel & DC only care about them. Even their own marketing people know that, but still Twitter above everything else.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah I was assuming PC and PS5 were simultanious launches, but if it's not then that would explain it
So many are being "certain" that that's what they meant, but I don't think there is anything explicitly mentioned about that. So, really, this could go either way.

Aspyr Lead Producer also mentioned that PS Studios are helping them make this game. Considering how much input they have and efforts they have to put in the game with Aspyr, it may not come to other consoles. Plus, Disney is getting real cosy with PlayStation now: Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Wolverine, and now Star Wars.

FunkMiller

Spoiler alert: That subsection doesn't exist.

Of course it does. And there’s nothing wrong with developing games for those people.

But altering existing, well loved properties in order to appeal to that audience, while leaving behind the people who made the property popular in the first place, is not right.

The hiring of somebody like Maggs indicates a desire to rewrite KOTOR for the kind of audience that Maggs appeals to. She clearly detests the older, more long term fans of the series, and that does not bode well for a remake of a game that relied on those people for its initial success.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also, this by Shinobi:

If PlayStation Studios teams are working on the game, and Sony is publishing it, I think there is a very little chance it would come on other consoles. Another argument is if it were just a normal timed exclusive, Sony didn't need to publish it. It would have been published by a third-party publisher, who would later publish it on Xbox and Nintendo. Why go the trouble of publishing it by SIE on PS?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This may a Cuphead (or even No Mans Sky) style deal. The platform holder treats it like a first party game and in turn has timed publishing rights, when those rights expire it is free to be published on other platforms.

reksveks

Also, this by Shinobi:

If PlayStation Studios teams are working on the game, and Sony is publishing it, I think there is a very little chance it would come on other consoles. Another argument is if it were just a normal timed exclusive, Sony didn't need to publish it. It would have been published by a third-party publisher, who would later publish it on Xbox and Nintendo. Why go the trouble of publishing it by SIE on PS?

It is a bit weird to word it as' console exclusive at launch'. Maybe publishing it on PS was a way to drop the 'cost' of getting it as an exclusive. There are too many unknowns sadly, I want to see who is publishing it on PC.

SkylineRKR

Really she can hate what she wants, its fine. But don't go rewrite a classic like KOTOR in this case. Work on something else.

sircaw

Banned
Also, this by Shinobi:

~I am not really a star wars fan, Star Trek lover here, (Fuck Welsely crusher though) but I will say this, i do feel sorry for genuine fans of the series if they don't get to play this because it's on another system.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You people are the fucking worst. By all means, let's pretend that every person in existence has played a game made in 2003.

For many people this will be a new game.

It's a shame so many are too fucking stupid and self-centered to see this.

No issue even if you have played it, with who they hired as writer I'm guessing it will be essentially a brand new game, almost unidentifiable to the original.

Or it could just be a good remake who knows.

All writers listed in Linkedin at Aspyr are:
  • Courtney Woods - Lead Writer
  • Jessica (Jessica Ilko) Sliwinski - Senior Writer
  • Jordan Lemos - Senior Writer
  • Nicole Stanford - Game Writer
  • Sam Maggs - Writer
So given there are three or four more senior people than her on the writing team, I don't think any of the fearmongering and concern trolling is at all warranted.

Do you also eat soup where someone put a drop of pee in it?

Artistic

Was the character in the trailer even in the original? Definitely don't remember him/her.

Looks like someone from the latest trilogy movies(sorry, haven't watched yet either.)

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
You're concern trolling.

Sam Maggs is not even listed as a Senior Writer or Lead Writer at Aspyr. She's not "writing the game", in the sense that she's leading in any creative capacity.

All writers listed in Linkedin at Aspyr are:
  • Courtney Woods - Lead Writer
  • Jessica (Jessica Ilko) Sliwinski - Senior Writer
  • Jordan Lemos - Senior Writer
  • Nicole Stanford - Game Writer
  • Sam Maggs - Writer
So given there are three or four more senior people than her on the writing team, I don't think any of the fearmongering and concern trolling is at all warranted.
There is one slavic proverb i think really relevant for that situation.:
A spoonful of tar spoils a barrel of honey.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Fuck.. Until proven otherwise I'll put this in the SJW-trash category for now.

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed KOTOR when it was released, but it was still way overrated, and has been kept on life support by nostalgia, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Elios83

Can't wait to see footage, it's good to know that PlayStation Studios are helping.
With this and Alan Wake quite a few Xbox symbols are now coming to PS even with some form of exclusivity.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
~I am not really a star wars fan, Star Trek lover here, (Fuck Welsely crusher though) but I will say this, i do feel sorry for genuine fans of the series if they don't get to play this because it's on another system.
Star Wars fan here, doesn't really care about Star Trek 😄 but I feel ya! Though that's the ugly face of competition and that's how exclusivity works. When the game originally came, it was a full Xbox exclusive and PS fans never got to play the OG version.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It is a bit weird to word it as' console exclusive at launch'. Maybe publishing it on PS was a way to drop the 'cost' of getting it as an exclusive. There are too many unknowns sadly, I want to see who is publishing it on PC.
Agreed. That's why I said earlier that there is a possibility that at "launch" the game is only coming on PS (hence the console launch exclusive), and then it comes on PC later.

But you're right. When we find the publisher on PC, that'd clear a lot of things for us. Now, if it's Sony publishing on PC, that'd be very interesting.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Can't wait to see footage, it's good to know that PlayStation Studios are helping.
With this and Alan Wake quite a few Xbox symbols are now coming to PS even with some form of exclusivity.
I was so sure that Alan Wake would also launch on PS+. It's releasing on a Tuesday, the exact same date PS+ October games would become available.

reksveks

Agreed. That's why I said earlier that there is a possibility that at "launch" the game is only coming on PS (hence the console launch exclusive), and then it comes on PC later.

But you're right. When we find the publisher on PC, that'd clear a lot of things for us. Now, if it's Sony publishing on PC, that'd be very interesting.
I don't think they (LucasGame and Aspyr) would have advertised the PC release if PC was coming later, usually they just stay quiet, no?

I think the other question for everyone, is when do we think this game is coming out? I think it might slip to 2023.

gela94

YEEEEEEESS PC, never played the game but my brother goes on and on how great it is. Hope they keep it a RPG!

Topher

Gold Member

She was lead writer for R&C as well. Don't recall a lot of complaints there, but not sure.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think they (LucasGame and Aspyr) would have advertised the PC release if PC was coming later, usually they just stay quiet, no?

I think the other question for everyone, is when do we think this game is coming out? I think it might slip to 2023.
Yeah 2023 at best.

Top Bottom