• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor will be darker than Fallen Order, says director (VGC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ll-be-darker-than-fallen-order-says-director/

The director of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor has revealed that the game will have a darker plot than its predecessor, Fallen Order.

In an interview on the official Star Wars website, the game’s director Stig Asmussen (who also directed Fallen Order) was asked if the sequel would be more “mysterious and menacing”.

“Yeah, you nailed it,” Asmussen replied. “Right there, that’s the purpose in the tone of it, is to leave the player with a lot of questions but they’re very intrigued.

“The game is all about survival. That’s why it’s called Jedi: Survivor. They are in dark times, and Cal and the crew are doing whatever it takes to stay alive.

“That might mean that they are making connections with people that, in other times, might be considered unsavoury.

“Some of that is portrayed in the trailer, and again, I don’t want to give anything away, but there’s definitely a sense of… I don’t want to spoil anything, sorry!”

Following months of speculation, Electronic Arts officially announced Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on Friday with a teaser trailer.

The third person, narrative-driven action-adventure title picks up five years after the events of developer Respawn‘s hit 2019 release Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

Accompanied by his trusty sidekick BD-1, protagonist Cal Kestis, one of the last remaining Jedi in the galaxy, must acquire new skills and grow his connection with the Force to stay one step ahead of the Empire’s constant pursuit.

Survivor is one of three Star Wars projects in development at Respawn. It’s also working on a new Star Wars first-person shooter helmed by former LucasArts veteran and Medal of Honor co-creator Peter Hirschmann.

Hirschmann previously worked on the original Star Wars Battlefront games and The Force Unleashed, and more recently directed 2020 VR title Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.

Respawn’s third Star Wars project is a strategy game developed through a production collaboration with Bit Reactor, which is a new studio formed by veterans of XCOM and Civilization studio Firaxis Games.

DaGwaphics

I'll have to get going on finishing the first one. Completed the first level and haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.

Edder1

Can't get over the fact how unlikable the main character is, he just has that face that you wanna punch so badly. Extremely poor casting by Respawn. I mean how can you get an actor for such a massive franchise that seems so unfit for the role? :/

Last edited:

Duchess

Rogue One
Rogue One is fucking brilliant. It's what Star Wars should be. Rogue One and The Empire Strikes Back are the two best movies.

I remember seeing The Force Awakens and thinking it was good, but not great. Then I watched Rogue One and was convinced that Star Wars was back on track.

Then I watched Last Jedi. Didn't bother going to see Rise of Skywalker after that ...

Javthusiast

Banned
Rick James Couch GIF

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I loved Fallen Order and it actually made me more of a Star Wars fan. Definitely looking forward to this! ❤️

Is Mando chopping some dude in half dark enough for you?

rm4e5tV.gif

I've seen worse things in pg13 stuff. No, that's hardly "dark". Hell, the first game doesn't even have dismemberment for humans. It'll prolly have some edgy writing but doubt we'll have anything mature. It'll still be aimed at kids. Also I would not use Mandalorian as a good example at all if I were you, also thats from Boba Fett show which also gave us this:

960x0.jpg

wow so "dark". Nah, star wars hasnt been nor will it ever be truly "dark". Those days are long gone.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Can't get over the fact how unlikable the main character is, he just has that face that you wanna punch so badly. Extremely poor casting by Respawn. I mean how can you get an actor for such a massive franchise that seems so unfit for the role? :/
The actor himself is fantastic in everything I've seen him in. IMO he's a big draw, and I was excited with the casting. They just didn't do anything with his talent. Cal is so bland it's ridiculous.

Edder1

The actor himself is fantastic in everything I've seen him in. IMO he's a big draw, and I was excited with the casting. They just didn't do anything with his talent. Cal is so bland it's ridiculous.
Surely you aren't gonna blame the script writers and the director when even the side characters had more personality and charisma than him. The fact is he was very dull and had the same one or two expressions throughout the whole campaign, almost coming off like he was being forced to play the role. The reveal cinematic for the sequel didn't help either, the guy still has that dull and uninteresting look on his face. Not sure about his other work or him as an actor, but he is absolutely the wrong fit for this role imo.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
I've seen worse things in pg13 stuff. No, that's hardly "dark". Hell, the first game doesn't even have dismemberment for humans. It'll prolly have some edgy writing but doubt we'll have anything mature. It'll still be aimed at kids. Also I would not use Mandalorian as a good example at all if I were you, also thats from Boba Fett show which also gave us this:

960x0.jpg

wow so "dark". Nah, star wars hasnt been nor will it ever be truly "dark". Those days are long gone.
You are technically correct that happened in an episode of the Book of Boba Fett in which BOBA was completely absent from the show. It was for all intents and purposes the best episode of the season and it was a Mandalorian episode.

Edited to add:
Cutting someone in half is actually pretty dark for any show especially seeing as they actually showed it on screen. (Dark and Gory are not the same thing.)

Last edited:

Arachnid

Surely you aren't gonna blame the script writers and the director when even the side characters had more personality and charisma than him. The fact is he was very dull and had the same one or two expressions throughout the whole campaign, almost coming off like he was being forced to play the role. The reveal cinematic for the sequel didn't help either, the guy still has that dull and uninteresting look on his face. Not sure about his other work or him as an actor, but he is absolutely the wrong fit for this role imo.
Of course I blame the writers and director for a blandly written character. Not really sure who else you'd blame. An actor works with what he's given, and I've seen him work wonders. It's not like the character was bad because of awful line delivery and acting. I'm glad he got the role. The script just needs to give him better lines.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Of course I blame writers and director for a blandly written character. Not really sure who else you'd blame. An actor works with what he's given, and I've seen him work wonders. It's not like the character was bad because of awful line delivery and acting. I'm glad he got the role. The script just needs to give him better lines.
It's a combination of the two, to be honest. A great actor can lift a substandard script and a great writer can make a bad actor look better. (Director dependent) The main issue I have always had with Cal is both the writing and horrible character design. The basic Jedi design is in fact pretty boring which is where the script and character become more important. There are outliers in the Jedi design such as Master Plo Koon or Anakin Skywalker (Human version).

I can just about guarantee the reason the new characters' visual design is so captivating is because of all of the negative feedback they received from Cal's plain bread comments. He is boring in both visual and story which is a horrible combination. The first game was actually good despite the character and story flaws so it does have that going for it and I think they can knock it out of the park with a second outing. I am sure they heard all of the feedback both negative and positive.

Mr Branding

Fallen Order was the first game I finished on my steam deck and I loved it to bits. As a big SW nerd, everything was pretty much on point. Cal was a good fit.

You are technically correct that happened in an episode of the Book of Boba Fett in which BOBA was completely absent from the show. It was for all intents and purposes the best episode of the season and it was a Mandalorian episode.

Edited to add:
Cutting someone in half is actually pretty dark for any show especially seeing as they actually showed it on screen. (Dark and Gory are not the same thing.)

There is no "technically". It was for a fact an episode of The Book of Boba Fett, period. The whos, and whats, don't matter, and the scene was not dark at all. It was your typical teen star wars scene. Star Wars will never be "dark". Rogue One was not "dark" either. It was more mature but that's it. The Mandalorian show is not dark at all. Jedi Survivor won't be dark either. It's PR talk. Why would they make a teen game suddenly a dark/mature sequel? Disney won't let them. It'll have some more mature themes maybe but dark stuff? Nah.

OsirisBlack

Banned
There is no "technically". It was for a fact an episode of The Book of Boba Fett, period. The whos, and whats, don't matter, and the scene was not dark at all. It was your typical teen star wars scene. Star Wars will never be "dark". Rogue One was not "dark" either. It was more mature but that's it. The Mandalorian show is not dark at all. Jedi Survivor won't be dark either. It's PR talk. Why would they make a teen game suddenly a dark/mature sequel? Disney won't let them. It'll have some more mature themes maybe but dark stuff? Nah.
"Technically" There is. The question, was Boba Fett in the episode yes or no? The who's and whats always matter whether you want them to or not. Fact, the title was the Book of Boba Fett, Fact Boba Fett was not in the episode. That does in FACT matter. Rogue one wasn't dark but it was much more mature than some other star wars films especially at the end even though we all knew what was supposed to happen. The Mandalorian is in fact a lot darker than most other star wars affairs. Dark, Cutting a man in half is shown on screen. Hanging someone upside down to let them be eaten by some sort of beast (Implied) Cutting someone else in half with a door (First episode) Disintegrating Jawas (Funny but dark). A lot of people get confused with the whole there's no blood this isn't dark. As a whole the show is not dark it just has several dark undertones and I appreciate that. Is it Game of Thrones head-crushing violent? no. It doesn't need to be. Hell even the Clone Wars and Rebels had Dark Moments but the shows were not based around it. Killing Satine in front of Obi Wan Kenobi .... Blowing Kanan up right as he told Hera he loved her...... How about a Jedi turning on his clone troopers and murdering dozens of them? Dark and Gory again do not go hand in hand.

Last edited:
"Technically" There is. The question, was Boba Fett in the episode yes or no? The who's and whats always matter whether you want them to or not. Fact, the title was the Book of Boba Fett, Fact Boba Fett was not in the episode. That does in FACT matter. Rogue one wasn't dark but it was much more mature than some other star wars films especially at the end even though we all knew what was supposed to happen. The Mandalorian is in fact a lot darker than most other star wars affairs. Dark, Cutting a man in half is shown on screen. Hanging someone upside down to let them be eaten by some sort of beast (Implied) Cutting someone else in half with a door (First episode) Disintegrating Jawas (Funny but dark). A lot of people get confused with the whole there's no blood this isn't dark. As a whole the show is not dark it just has several dark undertones and I appreciate that. Is it Game of Thrones head-crushing violent? no. It doesn't need to be. Hell even the Clone Wars and Rebels had Dark Moments but the shows were not based around it. Killing Satine in front of Obi Wan Kenobi .... Blowing Kanan up right as he told Hera he loved her...... How about a Jedi turning on his clone troopers and murdering dozens of them? Dark and Gory again do not go hand in hand.

No point arguing with you. You would prolly try to find an argument that showing the middle finger is also dark so I'll just stop here. Mandalorian isnt dark, unless you're blind, which I'll assume you are. Also, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8111088/parentalguide now go back to sleep and we'll discuss this properly when Jedi Survivor launches if it's really "dark". Spoilers, it won't be.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
No point arguing with you. You would prolly try to find an argument that showing the middle finger is also dark so I'll just stop here. Mandalorian isnt dark, unless you're blind, which I'll assume you are.
Not arguing was a conversation, your tone is a bit argumentative but I have learned how to ignore that as it doesn't generally help move a conversation along. The middle finger is not dark, a bit juvenile but hardly dark. As for my eyesight, I am a monster at the 500 on Benning no scope iron sights. Enjoy your day cockatrice.

sendit

Rogue One is fucking brilliant. It's what Star Wars should be. Rogue One and The Empire Strikes Back are the two best movies.

I remember seeing The Force Awakens and thinking it was good, but not great. Then I watched Rogue One and was convinced that Star Wars was back on track.

Then I watched Last Jedi. Didn't bother going to see Rise of Skywalker after that ...

In the same boat. The Force Awakens was off to a good start. Then the Last Jedi happened. Rise of Skywalker was a failed attempt to course correct the events of the Last Jedi. The whole trilogy lacked consistency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom