• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update), VGTech

And no one here would know frame drops without these sites doing it either. But given the information, Series X wins.

It's OK Dforce. It's just a reverse of PS4/Xbox One days when PS4 had more resolution wins. Since PS4 Pro/One X days (and now), Xbox systems win the res game almost all the time.

I'm sure you were a resolution supporter back in the day. So you cant do a 180 now when it doesn't support your console.

Not doing a 180 but the differences seem smaller this time around.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And no one here would know frame drops without these sites doing it either. But given the information, Series X wins.

It's OK Dforce. It's just a reverse of PS4/Xbox One days when PS4 had more resolution wins. Since PS4 Pro/One X days (and now), Xbox systems win the res game almost all the time.

I'm sure you were a resolution supporter back in the day. So you cant do a 180 now when it doesn't support your console.
Actually, frame-drops are noticeable. We just don't know the exact number. Even with VRR, there are times where we can still notice it.

Given the information, it's even considering PS5 has more stable frame-rate. And I was a resolution supporter back in the day? My first console last gen was an Xbox One and I bought a PS4 a year later.

You actually said we won't be able to notice frame-drops. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Even DF states its easy to see but resolution drops so small less frequent are hard to see due to TAA in most cases. If it drops to 1080p from 1800p then its it would be noticeable.

assurdum

Banned
Well who would've thought? The Xbox Series X is the world's most powerful console, of course it would've won now that the latest software toolkits are at the developers and there's even more to come in the future, I bet! 🥳
642320.jpg

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
According to their spreadsheet in the description, the difference between xbox series x and ps5 framerate average was 0.06. They only highlighted the worse spots.
NX Gamer tested different scenes and found more drops.

I just find it funny that it's possible that these resolution drops are far less frequent than the resolution drops, but somehow this gets ignored because (according to them) no one will be able to notice it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

NX Gamer tested different scenes and found more drops.

I just find it funny that it's possible that these resolution drops are far less frequent than the resolution drops, but somehow this gets ignored because (according to them) no one will be able to notice it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yes, i'm sure they found a frame drop for half a second somewhere but the average is virtually non existent. However the resolution drop is severe on ps5. Just like Metro going below 1080p on PS5 lol. Developers know the fps drops are not noticeable for a small amount of time, that is why they aim for better resolution.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes, i'm sure they found a frame drop for half a second somewhere

You're only guessing.. That's not proof. lol.

However the resolution drop is severe on ps5.
NX Gamer said he couldn't find it dipping below the target resolution, but he didn't rule out DRS being there.

VG Tech said the target resolution is common and the lowest resolution found on both consoles are very close.

Now you're saying it drops somewhere in the second half with no proof and you're lying that the resolution drop is severe on the PS5 with no proof. lol

Series X wins.

In the Stats page, it shows PS5 with 16 frames out of 21700 that arent 60 fps, and Series X is 29 frames out 21700.

Have fun playing the game and trying to figure out the 13 frames advantage which arent running at 60 fps.

I'll take a res bump as it'll apply more holistically across the game than 13 frames out of 21700 that run at higher frames. It's not 13000, 1300 or even 130. It's 13.

Well who would've thought? The Xbox Series X is the world's most powerful console, of course it would've won now that the latest software toolkits are at the developers and there's even more to come in the future, I bet! 🥳

This is it? This is how XSX with 1.9 TF ( with one and only full RDNA 2 , 52 CUs, advantage and higher bandwidth and "much faster" CPU won this comparison over PS5? If i were you, i would throw XSX through the window.

This is basically a win for PS5 ( pretty much every comparison is, . It is a sight to behold how weaker console is on par with stronger one. In some cases even better, like slightly more stable framerate and better AF in this game

Kuranghi

Going from 90% to 100% resolution scaling in many games, do have a pretty perceivable difference.

Exactly, but thats because you are going from 3840x2160 to 3456x1944 when you set resolution scaling to 90% (The way 99.9% of games do it anyway).

The difference of 8% in pixel count here - 3200x1800 vs. 3072x1728 - translates to 96% scaling of XSXes res on PS5. If it was 90% then it would be 2880x1620 on PS5 vs. 3200x1800 on XSX, which would be a more noticeable difference.

assurdum

Banned
Yes, i'm sure they found a frame drop for half a second somewhere but the average is virtually non existent. However the resolution drop is severe on ps5. Just like Metro going below 1080p on PS5 lol. Developers know the fps drops are not noticeable for a small amount of time, that is why they aim for better resolution.
I'm starting to think there is really something of severe but in your mind at this point.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yes, i'm sure they found a frame drop for half a second somewhere but the average is virtually non existent.

If you are comparing two different versions of a v-sync'd game and one is locked to 60 when the other drops even 1 frame below 60 then thats an issue because it will introduce a stutter on one and not the other. The average fps isn't the issue then because for that one moment on one system it was perfectly smooth and on the other you got a v-sync stutter which amounts to the game having a 33.33ms frametime for that moment, ie same as 30fps.

You can see this in RE8s RT mode, where PS5 drops single frames from 60 at points (introducing that stutter) where the XSX is locked to 60, so its much better overall experience on XSX. Average fps matter a fuck if you are dropping one frame every 10 seconds and having a constant stutter, in that case you will have a much better experience dropping the res slightly.

If both were dropping under 60 at the same time and one was 58 and the other was 57 then it makes basically no difference visually then.

I don't care who wins here I'm just telling you this stuff so you can see the whole picture, its not just the range of the DRS or the average FPS on paper, its what actually happens when you play it. I do agree that most people don't notice these sorts of dips and would more notice blurriness from a sharp drop in resolution, but if we are evaluating performance and you want to know how good it actually feels to play/watch you to critically analyze it outside of just average fps and DRS range.

Last edited:

Kangx

Just 1fps dips?

xXZZikk.png

ZKqjj3f.png

CS54xoQ.png
See, this is why I think the cut scene frame drop in vgtech is relevant because it is indicative of performance when the most intense action. So I was right. It does drop to some what similar to the cut scene here. Iam sure there are plenty more scenes will exhibit this behavior, but it is not common In the grand scheme of thing like the resolution drop.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The difference back then was often 900p vs 1080p, which is a 44% difference, and pretty much in line with the 1.3 vs 1.84 TF difference. That was noticeable. And in those cases PS4 still had as good or better performance most of the time.

Now we're seeing a few percent higher resolutions on XSX than PS5 some of the time (unnoticeable except when pixel counting), and rather often the XSX instead performs slightly worse to achieve that (also mostly unnoticeable). Given the 17% advantage the XSX has in pure GPU power, I'd say it's actually underperforming most of the time. Or the PS5 is overperforming.

Either way, the differences we're seeing this gen are small enough to not really matter. Which we should be happy about. Nobody is getting a significantly worse version of any game, which was quite often the case last gen and the gen before that.

Last edited:

Md Ray

There's no reason why it shouldn't have a 1440P 30FPs mode. Weird that they left the option out.
The game's probably bandwidth limited and the S is lacking in that department so it may be unstable at 1440p, with dynamic res, it likely spends most of its time below 1440p.

So 30fps probably wasn't worth it at that point.

You're only guessing.. That's not proof. lol.

NX Gamer said he couldn't find it dipping below the target resolution, but he didn't rule out DRS being there.

VG Tech said the target resolution is common and the lowest resolution found on both consoles are very close.

Now you're saying it drops somewhere in the second half with no proof and you're lying that the resolution drop is severe on the PS5 with no proof. lol
I am literally using your screenshots, which at the bottom appears to be the average fps (as it is similar to VG Tech) and shows fraction differences (59.91 vs 59.76) lol. Something you will blink at and not noticed. You are the liar trying to mislead people with your screenshots because it shows a different situation that is going on for each version. For example, the first screenshot shows a cutscene of enemy pulling his weapon out for PS5 while the XSX/ XSS version shows actual gameplay with the character fighting the enemy. Not to mention with VRR makes this situation moot to begin with.

Second, the resolution difference between the lowest is about 8% which is noticeable and with any common sense you will know it takes longer for the resolution to go back to normal than it will with FPS. Making the situation more severe.

Loxus

Very true, PS5 seems to have better assets/sharper. Look at the helmet lines and the breather. So better IQ and FPS.

image.png
"Using primitive shaders on PlayStation 5 will allow for a broad variety of techniques including smoothly varying level of detail, addition of procedural detail to close up objects and improvements to particle effects and other visual special effects." - Mark Cerny

Like I've said many times, having higher res means nothing if your texture quality is low.

Mark Cerny actually knew what he was doing when designing the console but everyone shit on him because the PS5 had 10tf.

So far I'm not seeing this huge advantage because of teraflop count either.

elliot5

"Using primitive shaders on PlayStation 5 will allow for a broad variety of techniques including smoothly varying level of detail, addition of procedural detail to close up objects and improvements to particle effects and other visual special effects." - Mark Cerny

Like I've said many times, having higher res means nothing if your texture quality is low.

Mark Cerny actually knew what he was doing when designing the console but everyone shit on him because the PS5 had 10tf.

So far I'm not seeing this huge advantage because of teraflop count either.
that all has nothing to do with this game though... its not using primitive shaders, the example Bo provided appears to be a bug because even the XSS is sharper and it resolves itself seconds later. Appeared to be an asset streaming issue?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said its dangerous to call bc/crossgen games as benchmark and this thread is testimony to that. People killing each other over 50 pixels and 5fps... laugh wiz me 😂😂😂😂😂😂
If you look at the stats sheet, PS5 had 16 frames out of 27000 that werent 60 fps. And Series X was 29 frames out of sync.

So the battle has come down to 13 frames of gameplay out of 27000 analyzed.

Md Ray

Yeah that's a sooo much higher resolution that you're trying to peddle.
VRR? Who are you, the second coming of Riky?
Game Pass has fuck all to do with technical analysis.
Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.
Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode.
Straight fire my man.

I lost it at second coming of Riky :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
that all has nothing to do with this game though... its not using primitive shaders, the example Bo provided appears to be a bug because even the XSS is sharper and it resolves itself seconds later. Appeared to be an asset streaming issue?
It could also be ps5s faster clocks/caches makes for faster fillrate this isnt the first gane with better af on ps5 its one of a dozen but then again it isnt anative bug just a crossgen game that isnt optimized for nextgen machines

If you look at the stats sheet, PS5 had 16 frames out of 27000 that werent 60 fps. And Series X was 29 frames out of sync.

So the battle has come down to 13 frames of gameplay out of 27000 analyzed.
Well how about the better texture filtering on ps5 cause it looks sharper and both consoles dont.drop.from their native resolution that often so whats the point. Arguing over crossgen games is meaningless id save my energy when actuall nextgen games come out.

Top Bottom