• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order next-gen update

Stuart360

Surprised its not higher resolution on both to be honest. I can 1080p/60 max settings the game on my PC, and the XSX gpu is like twice as powerful as mine. And the console versions are probably not running max settings as well.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Surprised its not higher resolution on both to be honest. I can 1080p/60 max settings the game on my PC, and the XSX gpu is like twice as powerful as mine. And the console versions are probably not running max settings as well.
It has nothing to do with the power of the next gen systems. That’s just EA for you.

Allandor

The game was running at 1440p with 30fps at xbox one x. So 4k60 (this would be around 4 times the needed GPU power and bandwidth + 2 times CPU for "simple" scaling) weren't possible without rewriting/redesigning more or less the hole game. But this is just a free update. With "simple scaling" with have just doubled the GPU power (without using newer features) and an increased bandwidth (not doubled).

Just a BC patch. Basically nothing interesting if u are not Series S owner.
For SS players this update brings massive IQ and frame rate improvements.
Ok because I know BC is kind of an issue for Sony.

Not that PS4 games are unplayable on the PS5 of course.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Is this showing as a series x game now? Loaded it up last night and the performance mode still said it was toggling to 1080p.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, it hasn't.
Ok. Can you expand further please? I’d seen the 60fps/900p-1080p on Reddit (I know) and whilst I can’t verify the pixel count myself, as someone mid-playthrough the image quality looks to be much, much improved.

Last edited:

TheShocker

You saying it switched to 1080p.
In the menu, when you switch to performance mode, it clearly states it forces the game into 1080p. Which was the same option as the Xbox one x. The new update outlines the performance mode runs at a higher resolution than 1080p on the series x. I fired the game up last night to test out the update, but my in game menu system still shows the performance mode as a 1080p toggle. So my question still stands, which you are obviously incapable of answering, does the update show the game as a series x badged game?

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

The new update outlines the performance mode runs at a higher resolution than 1080p on the series x
It says:
Dynamic resolution added in the range of 1080p to 1440p.
Of course it says 1080p, just like UHD mode will say UHD even though it dynamically changes as well.

DJ12

The results are in, there can be little argument now.

Want the best place to play last gen games, get a series x.

Want the best place to play current gen games, get a ps5.

Want the best place to play anything, spend a few grand on a pc.

Dibils2k

was gonna play new game+ because of this update but i found out very quickly that you cant skip cutscenes!! that a big NOPE from me dawg

DJ12

What do you think that the XsX version is?

Besides, what do you think that these launch games are on both systems??

They are just cross platform games with performance patches.
Lol you know as well as anyone ps5 has 3 modes for bc with none of them granting full access to all the ps5 has to offer.

Xbox one uses direct x, so series x is tantamount to just sticking a new gpu in your pc and instantly seeing better results running the same code.

The bc modes are not equal and I doubt ps5 will ever beat series x in a game only using bc modes.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Lol you know as well as anyone ps5 has 3 modes for bc with none of them granting full access to all the ps5 has to offer.

Xbox one uses direct x, so series x is tantamount to just sticking a new gpu in your pc and instantly seeing better results running the same code.

The bc modes are not equal and I doubt ps5 will ever beat series x in a game only using bc modes.
Sigh. Enhanced bc/cross gen with a perf patch are basically the same thing..... Not a game built for the new consoles and PC only. They are one and the same thing

So on PS5 this game doesn't have the 4K 30fps option anymore? I can't seem to find it. I mean I'm cool with 60fps at 1200p, but wanted to try the 4K mode too.

jaysius

Banned
There is a little bit of wonk to the game's parry system, but not as bad as the salt mines here lead you to believe. I'm not great at these "harder" games and I managed to finish it on Hard.

Replaying it on Series X, there is some really awful chunking up on the cutscene at the start of Kayssky but the game plays smoothly and looks great otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems like they just tweaked the BC mode a bit, going by that update. If they really reworked it consistently, it would well, be consistent across the board with mode selections for one thing.

Low effort, not worth revisiting since already platted.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Can you share with us?

Because the patch notes says they disabled DRS on PS5 it is not possible to have resolution different from 1200p.
There is a difference in PS5 BC Boost mode and a native PS5 game.

One game uses the old PS4 SDK while the other use the new PS5 SDK.
So you basically needs to port your game from PS4 SDK to PS5 SDK if you want a PS5 version of the game.

Ghost, Days Gone, etc all uses PS4 SDK patch to be aware and use the PS5 power.
Mies Morales is a game build/ported to the PS5 SDK and so it is a native PS5 game.

PS4 SDK has a lot of limitations and can't use the new PS5 features... PS5 SDK allow you to use everything from PS5.
Ohhh the compiled binaries from PS4 SDK and PS5 SDK are different too... the PS4 SDK compiles binaries that uses only the PS4 CPU/APU features and so it run on PS5 via BC.
That is not entirely true as Blood and Truth has both a higher frame rate at 90fps, improved textures and higher resolution when running on PS5, which was not available on PS4 pro. This is not a native patch, as ID code is unchanged, and does not download a separate PS5 version. Also there is nothing to stop them updating the SDK for the PS4 to include more options over time, for use in PS5 modes. It would not surprise me if the SDK has been updated already to offer the 120fps modes only on PS5, I suspect we might be seeing more patches drop over the next few months. I fancy playing Crash Team Racing at 120fps!

Last edited:

Rea

Qp92HvZ.jpg

Its not Downgraded, PS5 is using PS4 pro res mode with unlock framerates and lock 1200p instead of DRS. DF and VG always seems to have different numbers in pixels counting. For this game, VG pixels number seems to be the same as the developer.

Rea

I wish they would have changed the fade to white screen when meditating to a different color. Playing the game in hdr with a TV over 1000 nits is always blinding. Always have to keep closing my eyes or look down to avoid the blindness that ensues.
This same to me. I thought i was the only one, LoL

Rea

Its also a higher res and has improved character
No it doesn't, same assets and resolution as PS4 pro, resolution is checker board rendering 4k. The only difference is 60fps on ps5. Also, miles morales on ps5 performance mode has higher quality assets and improved lighting and shadows than on ps4 pro version. They are not the same. I know because i already compared them on my ps5. They looks significantly better on ps5.

Phobos Base

was gonna play new game+ because of this update but i found out very quickly that you cant skip cutscenes!! that a big NOPE from me dawg

Another big oversight is the lack of fast travel in the post game. I went back to do the collectables, but after spending 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get back to the swamp on Dathomir then just gave up in frustration.

regawdless

Banned
Want the best place to play anything, spend a few grand on a pc.

Except for Sony exclusives, unfortunately.
That's why I, as a mainly PC gamer, will get a PS5 down the road when more exclusives are available.

Good thing MS releases their games on PC as well.

DJ12

Sigh. Enhanced bc/cross gen with a perf patch are basically the same thing..... Not a game built for the new consoles and PC only. They are one and the same thing
You do know what directx is don't you and how it works?

The patches are not the same at all do some research. The guys who did rocket league have said to do a proper bc patch for ps5 (to access the full power availablr) they would have to re-write much of the code. Most games only run in ps4 or ps4 Pro mode, this is why when cerny talked about bc he said there was about 100 games, he was referring to games that accessed the full bc mode.

Bc mode is not the same on ps5 and that's a simple fact. Sigh all you want it just shows your complete ignorance on the subject. Stick to fanboying for series x

Banjo64

cumsessed

Digital Foundry breakdown.

Re: Series S
Finally, there's Xbox Series S - it's a huge upgrade over the One S version, again targeting 60fps. No resolution metrics are provided in the patch notes, but we're seeing a dynamic resolution window in the range of 720p to 900p, leaning into Unreal Engine 4's temporal upscaling to give the perception of a higher pixel count, most effective in more static scenes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom