• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order next-gen update

Series X has native 4K post-processing as opposed to PS5's 1440p. The X also has a dynamic resolution of 1512p-2160p, while PS5 lost dynamic resolution and is now stable at 1200p. Pretty big advantages imo.
But hey, it’s BC, so it doesn’t count.
Why are you comparing features of xbox normal mode with ps5 which runs 60 fps performance mode only ?

Xbox Series X Performance mode

• Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS
  • Dynamic resolution added in the range of 1080p to 1440p
PlayStation 5

• Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS (up from 45 FPS)
  • Postprocessing increased to 1440p
  • Dynamic resolution has been disabled and the game is rendering at 1200p (up from 810-1080p)
It looks like xbox can't even mantain 1200p consistently when both are in performance mode.

cormack12

Gold Member
Why are you comparing features of xbox normal mode with ps5 which runs 60 fps performance mode only ?

PlayStation 5

• Dynamic resolution has been disabled and the game is rendering at 1200p (up from 810-1080p)
It looks like xbox can't even mantain 1200p consistently when both are in performance mode.

Based on the other data, I assume that's because it will be pushing more effects in each frame which means it drops in a few areas but maintains the higher res elsewhere, but that's just a guess. And the few small drops are probably considered a fair tradeoff. But that's just me making a basic and logical assumption.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Are they going to fix Cere's terrifying bug eyes in this update?
Debra Wilson looks the same in every game she's in.

Grace-650x324.jpg

I can't bring myself to replay this game. The combat leaves something to be desired. I beat it on Series S (before my Series X was available) and I found the blocking and parrying mechanics to be hit and miss, literally. It was frustrating. Mostly though, it was a fun romp.

Last edited:

skit_data

Based on the other data, I assume that's because it will be pushing more effects in each frame which means it drops in a few areas but maintains the higher res elsewhere, but that's just a guess. And the few small drops are probably considered a fair tradeoff. But that's just me making a basic and logical assumption.
What other data are you referring to specifically?

Banned
wtf are they talking about on these change notes?
how can the Series S version be 60fps UP FROM 45 FPS? the game at no point ran at 45fps on Series S as it used the One S version up until now, which was locked to 30fps

and on PS5 that also makes no sense since the Pro Version either ran at 30fps or unlocked up to 60fps depending on the mode.

like, these patch notes make absolutely zero sense

cormack12

Gold Member
What other data are you referring to specifically?

The data provided in the comparisons which basically boils down to

PS5: 60fps at 1200
XSX: 60fps at 1080-1440

The alternative is to suggest the XSX can't match a locked 1200 at 60 (with exact same profile) which seems unlikely given it can push up to 1440, so it makes sense (to me) that they would maybe tweak some effects to use the extra power on the table and take a hit in a small number of areas to run mostly at 1440. This is just me speculating, I'm still waiting for the comparison videos - there's plenty of areas to direct extra power to incremental changes as we know from PC. But, yeah I could be wrong/assuming wrong.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Quick and dirty update.... Especially on the PS5

PS5 owners getting a taste of those poor XsX perf patches.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Debra Wilson looks the same in every game she's in.

I can't bring myself to replay this game. The combat leaves something to be desired. I beat it on Series S (before my Series X was available) and I found the blocking and parrying mechanics to be hit and miss, literally. It was frustrating. Mostly though, it was a fun romp.
i think the problem is that you were playing on the xbox controller. I played it on PC with the xbox controller and hated the parry mechanic because the LB buttons would miss the parry half of the time. Then i got stuck at a parry only boss fight and switched to my DS4 and it was a night and day difference. I immediately started to enjoy the combat and parried the fucking shit out of the final boss.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

NullZ3r0

Banned
Series X will eventually show its powers; it was inevitable. Won't be a huge difference like last gen, but there ain't no ps5 secret sauce.
We know for a fact that based on the hardware itself, PS5 will inherently run PS4 bc games better than Series X runs Xbox One games. The PS5 GPU literally "pretends" to be the PS4 GPU while Series X is probably doing something with virtualization and on top of that adding things like HDR.

Games tweaked to take specific advantage of the hardware will more often than not go in Series X favor. It's physics.

NullZ3r0

Banned
i think the problem is that you were playing on the xbox controller. I played it on PC with the xbox controller and hated the parry mechanic because the LB buttons would miss the parry half of the time. Then i got stuck at a parry only boss fight and switched to my DS4 and it was a night and day difference. I immediately started to enjoy the combat and parried the fucking shit out of the final boss.
If this is the case, then the game is broken on the Xbox. This is unacceptable. But to be fair, the bumpers are the worst part of the Xbox controller. They feel cheap for buttons that are supposed to get a lot of use.

Banned
We know for a fact that based on the hardware itself, PS5 will inherently run PS4 bc games better than Series X runs Xbox One games. The PS5 GPU literally "pretends" to be the PS4 GPU while Series X is probably doing something with virtualization and on top of that adding things like HDR.

Games tweaked to take specific advantage of the hardware will more often than not go in Series X favor. It's physics.

that's not 100% true.
I bet you are referring to some of the framerate tests based on BC titles like Sekiro.

Sekiro ran at a native 1800p on One X and checkerboard 1800p on PS4pro. meaning 2x the native resolution on One X.

on next gen systems both run at 60fps but slightly more stable on PS5.

that has nothing to do with any advantage in terms of backwards compatibility performance, that's simply because PS4 pro games were inherently less taxing due to the PS4pro more often than not only outputting around 50% of the pixels per second that the One X managed.

in terms of raw power the PS5's GPU has a ~2.5x multiplier over the PS4 pro.
the Series X only has a 2.0x multiplier over the One X.

meaning games that were designed for the Pro will perform about 2.5x better and games designed for One X will only run 2x better

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Nice. I stopped playing it a few months back for some reason. Definitely going to restart
Because it is boring. I bought it at $60 and after a few hours I traded it in. The ginger protagonist is dumb, the story is boring and the feeling of being a bad ass Jedi is completely missing. Having to hit a Stormtrooper 8 times with a lightsaber tends to feel bad.

This next gen port is a little late and looks lazy, so basically EA.

Andodalf

Banned

PlayStation 5

Or it's more like 1440p vs 1200p and when things get heavy PS5 drops frames instead of res

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I found this game to be bore. Although if it were coated in a franchise I was a big fan of, I'm sure I'd get the appeal. As it stands, I rather just play a Souls game over and over.

Fake

Better late than never but sounds more like they are tweaking the settings with added power boost you get from just the higher clocks and such. Hardly a next gen update.

Looks more like the nature of the engine being dynamic inself.

Radical_3d

One would think a dev will put more love in the bigger installed base, but it's clear is not always like this. Pretty sad PS5 update. Very cool update on Xbox.

Leyasu

Banned

PlayStation 5

You didn’t really think before you posted did you!

Kuranghi

They should've added native 4K at locked 30 for this, if it was 1620-1800p and you got locked 60fps it'd be worth it, but this is just best of no worlds because I bet it doesn't hold 60fps during the problem areas still, which isn't a large chunk of the game in fairness.

The main issue is that will bring with it the loading stutter problems that happen on PC when you try to play at 60fps on GPUs before 3000 series (They seems brute force through it to an extent, like Arkham City/Knight at 4K, you need like 100% overhead on GPU usage to stop frametime spikes that lower framerate) unless thats completely solved by the faster storage medium, but I doubt they went back and rejigged the whole game to completely take advantage of it on either console.

I knew its a game that wouldn't be able to be run at 4K60 on next-gen but this targetting 1440p 60fps is not a good choice imo, because if it doesn't do the art justice and drops all the time when traversing the level (its a metroidvania after all) + in battle with tons of effects happening, those are the times when you really need it to be locked.

So I think locking to 30 + maxing out the resolution on each system wouldn've been a better choice for this one. We'll see though, maybe they gimped some part of the IQ to help with stutters/framerate.

Last edited:

Bridges

Dang, I just played through this last month. Happy to see more games get updates regardless.

The real question though is if this update does anything to fix the load times. Even on XSX the time between death and respawn was pretty egregious.

JonkyDonk

Its like groundhog day around here everytime one of these patches comes out and everyone 'forgets' that on PS5 it's literally just the PS4 version pushed to its upper limits and not at all taking full advantage of the hardware.

But hey, claim those victories where you can get them right?

Fbh

Shouldn't the game have been 60fps already given how the Pro and One X versions had unlocked framerate?
If that's so then the res upgrade seems pretty disappointing on both machines.

Last edited:

Joho79

As always, ps5 wins Xbox is full of bottlenecks and a server. Xbox wins it’s because bc and it won’t matter..

Reizo Ryuu

I don't understand this weird update, it already ran at 60fps on xsx:

Played through it myself when EA play was added to gamepass and didn't notice any real drops either.

Last edited:
So now it's on par with the version I played over a year ago on my 3 year old PC? I don't think this should be called a next gen update unless they add some ray tracing.

Last edited:

Piggoro

I bought the game on PS4 and put it in the backlog until I get PS5 hoping for some update. Now having PS5 I decided to play it cause it looked like there's not gonna be any next-get improvements. I finished it last week. Great game. But Bruh!

I don't get it. I played the game on my XSX back in December and it already ran at 60fps in performance mode. The patch notes read like they've improved the framerate.
I've just tested it now after the patch and the game does seem to be crisper than before, but not smoother.

lucius

Well considering some have not updated from 1080p 60 performance mode its better than nothing. But more companies should put out updates get people see games as good a light as possible better for them and future games

jaysius

Banned
God damn, it was already buttery smooth on Series X, I got caught up in the Cyberpunk on my 2nd playthrough, my first one was on the PS4 Pro dustbuster, god damn it's nice not to have a fucking racket going on when you're playing games.

This is great news.

Thomish

Just spun it up and the smoothness compared to my base PS4... Finally feel like I get to play this game correctly.

Leyasu

Banned
Its like groundhog day around here everytime one of these patches comes out and everyone 'forgets' that on PS5 it's literally just the PS4 version pushed to its upper limits and not at all taking full advantage of the hardware.

But hey, claim those victories where you can get them right?
What do you think that the XsX version is?

Besides, what do you think that these launch games are on both systems??

They are just cross platform games with performance patches.

Top Bottom