• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Finally Explains the Emperor's Resurrection

Arimer

IF you're having to explain your movie plotlines in a book that's at least 2 years later maybe your plotline isn't very good and will lead to a bad movie. Your casual fans aren't going to waste time to find out this info .

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
rick-and-morty-teddy.gif

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Palpatine came back told us that the future is female and we all lived happily ever after

Soltype

What really bugs me is I get the feeling Disney didn't read or look into any of the expanded universe when they bought Star Wars.I'm not saying they should have used everything from the expanded universe, trust me there's a lot of bad stuff in it, but there is a ton of good they could have used. It's crazy to think the company struggled to make a film trilogy, and they had to thrawn books to lean back on. Disney is a joke.

Neolombax

Yea, don't really care anymore. Still don't know why anyone would bury those star destroyers underground. Wouldn't it be a problem if you had debris stuck in your ship innards, I dunno. Stupid decision overall. Stupid movie too.

Out of 9 mainline movies there are 6 bad movies, 1 good one, one great one, and one that’s just whatever. The 6 bad ones were the last 6 they put out
What a terrible track record

Good for them to try but we all know Snoke was emperor 2.0 until they diverted that plan in TLJ. The picture which ruined SW for me for good.
Thats what happens when you make a trilogy with no plan. Should have just left Skywalker story alone it ended perfectly after RoTJ. There was no need to make anymore movie in that era.

Toons

Banned
I often defends the newer movies in some aspects while acknowledging them as flawed. I very much enjoyed TLJ and TFA and TROS while the weakest is watchable. I'm gonna be honest I never had a big problem with this.

Fact: a ton of things Palpatine has done in canon has not been "explained." A lot of it is "Somehow Palpatine _____"

Infiltrated the galactic senate, at the time a Jedi stronghold that hadn't seen a sith in a very long time, becoming an adeot politician when the entire sith ideology eschewed politics almost entirely in favor of might makes right? Somehow.

Got in bed with separatist aligned planets and manipulated them against the republic at the same time as rising through the ranks of the republic? Something something taxes.

Encountered the nightsisters who produced maul for him, and raised him as a sith apprentice without any notice? Somehow.

Visiting mandalore literslly during a Civil War and in the midst of its government was collapsing, aware of everything going on there including Mauls location, and nearly killing maul all without notice by any of the mandolorians present or the lone jedi who was there? Somehow.(Clone Wars)

Became aware of Yoda going on a force journey and summoned an effigy of a long dead sith so that he could test the Jedi? Something something blood ritual.(Clone Wars)

Acquired access to alternate timeliness by means of the world between worlds after the only known gateway had been destroyed? Somehow.(Rebels)

Killing his master who was so powerful he could literally manipulate life and death itself? Somehow.

I could go on.

My point is, dude is just an old wizard basically. If someone told me he could've survived being thrown down a hole, it doesn't suspend my disbelief to belief he had contingencies for that.

Now did they use that strolling to its fullest potential? No, not really. They didnt. But I dont have an issue with him just surviving.

I fear for my notifs now but I said what I said.

Last edited:
Nice of them that they explained all of this in the movies
Considering this was a retcon invented after The Last Jedi in order to try and save the Disney Trilogy, there's no way they could have explained any of it because they didn't even think of it until after the first 2 movies of that trilogy were already made.

It's just a quickly thrown together copy of Dark Empire anyways. There's nothing to explain.

Gifmaker

I dunno, "somehow" explained it well enough for me.
This is where I'm unironically at. Dude's been tinkering with cloning tech since TPM, his master supposedly found the way to cheat death, and he promised Vader that they would discover the secret. If anyone could somehow return from his death in ROTJ, it's Palpatine. After how much an emphasis on cloning and the obsession with cheating death is in the prequels, it would seem rather odd for Palpatine to just have forgotten about all it by the end of the original trilogy. Him arranging for his immortality is absolutely in line with his character from 1-6, and it also solved the Snoke dilemma nicely enough.

Considering this was a retcon invented after The Last Jedi in order to try and save the Disney Trilogy, there's no way they could have explained any of it because they didn't even think of it until after the first 2 movies of that trilogy were already made.

Interestingly, when Snoke in TLJ raises Rey into the air, the Emperor's theme plays, though. Which led me to believe that Snoke was an incarnation of Palpatine somehow back in 2017 already.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I often defends the newer movies in some aspects while acknowledging them as flawed. I very much enjoyed TLJ and TFA and TROS while the weakest is watchable. I'm gonna be honest I never had a big problem with this.

Fact: a ton of things Palpatine has done in canon has not been "explained." A lot of it is "Somehow Palpatine _____"

Infiltrated the galactic senate, at the time a Jedi stronghold that hadn't seen a sith in a very long time, becoming an adeot politician when the entire sith ideology eschewed politics almost entirely in favor of might makes right? Somehow.

Got in bed with separatist aligned planets and manipulated them against the republic at the same time as rising through the ranks of the republic? Something something taxes.

Encountered the nightsisters who produced maul for him, and raised him as a sith apprentice without any notice? Somehow.

Visiting mandalore literslly during a Civil War and in the midst of its government was collapsing, aware of everything going on there including Mauls location, and nearly killing maul all without notice by any of the mandolorians present or the lone jedi who was there? Somehow.(Clone Wars)

Became aware of Yoda going on a force journey and summoned an effigy of a long dead sith so that he could test the Jedi? Something something blood ritual.(Clone Wars)

Acquired access to alternate timeliness by means of the world between worlds after the only known gateway had been destroyed? Somehow.(Rebels)

Killing his master who was so powerful he could literally manipulate life and death itself? Somehow.

I could go on.

My point is, dude is just an old wizard basically. If someone told me he could've survived being thrown down a hole, it doesn't suspend my disbelief to belief he had contingencies for that.

Now did they use that strolling to its fullest potential? No, not really. They didnt. But I dont have an issue with him just surviving.

I fear for my notifs now but I said what I said.
I haven’t seen most of what you referenced, but for the 1-3 timeline stuff doesn’t it fall under the Council being an arrogant shell of what it should have been? I’m still not sure how even Yoda didn’t know, but I guess that falls under the Force being as mysterious or specific as the story calls for

Alebrije

Well , there is hope Vader had a clone too....it seems customized clones where popular and easy to get those days.

Incredible that at 2021 Star Treck has more chances to keep delivering than SW...

Last edited:

Konnor

Does anyone genuinely care about Star Wars anymore? It's a little fun for me to point and laugh but the franchise is pretty much dead to me.

Amiga

They could have made an awesome original villain, something unforeseen, but they decided on some trash plot-twist which
they didn’t even bother to explain in the movie.
Mark Wahlberg No GIF by Daddy's Home's Home

They should have skipped that era altogether. jump a thousands into the future and imagine an evolved SW universe. or go back to the old republic era. IMOO it had more interesting stories than the post ROTJ expanded universe. one favorite of mine is when a group of light side Jedi masters were the antagonists.

Toons

Banned
I haven’t seen most of what you referenced, but for the 1-3 timeline stuff doesn’t it fall under the Council being an arrogant shell of what it should have been? I’m still not sure how even Yoda didn’t know, but I guess that falls under the Force being as mysterious or specific as the story calls for

The council was arrogant but they weren't stupid. At least they weren't supposed to be. When Maul shows up in TPM its supposed to be the first time anyone has even seen a sith in like, forever.

Pair this with a secretive and ambitious politician who routinely seeks more power showing up around the same time. Its just a big suspense of disbelief to suggest that no one even got suspicious. And yes them not detecting his presence, I can try and challenge that up to him "masking his presence" in the force but its still a stretch because there were times he randomly would communicate with others in his sith persona.

Idk. Point is Palpatines actions, a lot of them, were not given much explanation or reason, we are to just assume he was powerful enough and had access to enough resources to where he could do it. Him having cline bodies and surviving the events of return of the jedi is no different for me.

Really wish they would have reigned in Rian Johnson a bit and taken time to expand on this lore in TLJ. It would have made Rise such a better film since it didn't have to rush/squeeze everything into 3 hours.

Still glad the ST turned out better than the PT. If it weren't for The Clone Wars, the PT would have actually destroyed my childhood.

Who? The emperor died in Return of the Jedi. Just like Boba Fett.
Bringing back Boba was gonna happen, even if I agree.

Palpatine was an interesting twist but they totally botched the landing. TBH I think the final bad guy should have been Thrawn and they used Snoke like they did Jorath C'Baoth (sp?) the dark Jedi that helped him.

dr_octagon

Banned
so the emporor put his bloods in a potato which takes 35 years to grow and it is force linked. should he die then order sixy seven means the robot waters the pot growing a new bad guy.

the plant pot is made from bestcar steel cos the dumb fans love references and call the farm 'Erso farm'. the robot was made by Anakin as well.

the potato is in another galaxy, a long distance away and let's have a horcrux, deathly hallow stuff at the end, force is basically magic, midicholoroforms and stuff i dunno, give me my 20 million cheque pls

luffie

No explanation will make it less stupid or creatively bankrupt.

At this point they could be like "actually, Palpatine had a secret apprentice with the sole mission of gathering the Dragon Balls if anything should happen to him" and it'd be about as "good" an explanation as any.
Yeah, what were they expecting from this anyway?
That people go "ohh, now it makes sense..?" "wow, that's so cool...?" "ahh, now i hate the sequel less ...?"

Just proves how tone deaf they still are now. Honestly, it would make more sense if they just said "we realized we fucked up, sorry, we'll do better".

sol_bad

Yeah, what were they expecting from this anyway?
That people go "ohh, now it makes sense..?" "wow, that's so cool...?" "ahh, now i hate the sequel less ...?"

Just proves how tone deaf they still are now. Honestly, it would make more sense if they just said "we realized we fucked up, sorry, we'll do better".

They weren't expecting anything, it's just an article on Starwars.com.

TRoS isn't the greatest film ever made but you know what is, the LOTR's is one of the greatest trilogies ever made. And the movie glosses over how Gandalf came back to life just like TRoS glosses over how Palpatine comes back to life. In actual fact, TRoS gives far more hints visually what and how Palpatine is still alive than what LOTRs ever does. In LOTR's you see Gandalf fall to his death, he may have fallen a hundred feet, a thousand feet, who knows, but he survived. Nek minute he is fighting Balrog on top of a snowy mountain, then Gandalf dies again. He sees stars and nek minute he is alive again. Magic I guess? They don't explain anything.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

TRoS isn't the greatest film ever made but you know what is, the LOTR's is one of the greatest trilogies ever made. And the movie glosses over how Gandalf came back to life just like TRoS glosses over how Palpatine comes back to life. In actual fact, TRoS gives far more hints visually what and how Palpatine is still alive than what LOTRs ever does. In LOTR's you see Gandalf fall to his death, he may have fallen a hundred feet, a thousand feet, who knows, but he survived. Nek minute he is fighting Balrog on top of a snowy mountain, then Gandalf dies again. He sees stars and nek minute he is alive again. Magic I guess? They don't explain anything.
Fantasy with magic and gods vs sci-fi… now we are comparing the new SW trilogy with the FotR one… whoa…

sol_bad

Fantasy with magic and gods vs sci-fi… now we are comparing the new SW trilogy with the FotR one… whoa…

The Force isn't essentially magic? Star Wars is fantasy in a sci-fi setting.

*EDIT*
There are Gods in Star Wars as well.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Force isn't essentially magic? Star Wars is fantasy in a sci-fi setting.
Well, kind of … it was a lot more like magic earlier on, but sure there is some of it. Gandalf being resurrected or brought back to Middle Earth / reborn is something handled far more smoothly (true evil/malice and true good never really dying… and forces of good being a lot more mysterious and less visible than the forces of darkness, etc…) with movie content alone.

The new SW trilogy, despite LSG attempts at justifying it post release, is a movie by movie attempted reboot / cash grab without a proper arc… even the prequel trilogy had a better story and characters arc.

Last edited:

luffie

But Lotr has a whole lot of backstory to it that is already established. Gandalf is a spirit etc, they just don't have the time to explain everything one by one.

Meanwhile, everything that is known about Palps death was from 1 movie, and they conjure up everything else out of thin air, and after the fact that the movie was done. Whatever EU lore that they had with palps having clones etc was scrapped before this movie. Up to episode 8, there is virtually to clue nor signs that Palps is still alive.

sol_bad

Well, kind of … it was a lot more like magic earlier on, but sure there is some of it. Gandalf being resurrected or brought back to Middle Earth / reborn is something handled far more smoothly (true evil/malice and true good never really dying… and forces of good being a lot more mysterious and less visible than the forces of darkness, etc…) with movie content alone.

The new SW trilogy, despite LSG attempts at justifying it post release, is a movie by movie attempted reboot / cash grab without a proper arc… even the prequel trilogy had a better story and characters arc.

Not having a pre-determined arc is a whole other argument compared to Palpatine being resurrected. LOTR's having an arc based on the books doesn't help explain why Gandalf came back to life in the movies. As you mention, the original 3 films felt more "magical" because of how they were made, the first 6 movies constantly introduced new powers with no explanation and no one cared. For some weird reason when new powers are introduced in the new trilogy people start asking questions, I don't get it.

But Lotr has a whole lot of backstory to it that is already established. Gandalf is a spirit etc, they just don't have the time to explain everything one by one.

Meanwhile, everything that is known about Palps death was from 1 movie, and they conjure up everything else out of thin air, and after the fact that the movie was done. Whatever EU lore that they had with palps having clones etc was scrapped before this movie. Up to episode 8, there is virtually to clue nor signs that Palps is still alive.

Is it mentioned in the movies that he is a spirit? I don't think so. There is zero explanation on why or how he survived. This thread is all about information missing from TRoS, so it can't be OK for one film and not OK for another film. You could say there is foreshadowing of Palpy coming back when he talks to Anakin about saving people from death during the opera show.

If we are going to turn to books for answers, this answer has been out there for over a year.

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
Source: https://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/...ine-resurrection-explained-rise-of-skywalker/

the final product that hit theaters did nothing but create confusion regarding the iconic villain's comeback. It was revealed that Palpatine was actually Rey's grandfather, and he somehow spent decades cloning himself and building an enormous fleet of ships on the remote planet of Exegol, despite dying at the hands of Darth Vader.

The events surrounding Palpatine's left a lot to the imagination, but Lucasfilm Story Group member Emily Shkoukani is helping make sense of it all with a new edition of Star Wars Inside Intel.

Everything about Palpatine's return hinges on something called the Contingency, which was mentioned in books like Star Wars: Lost Stars and Star Wars: Aftermath. Long story short, Palpatine was concerned about his own death and wanted to outlive his mortality. So he created the Contingency, which consisted of a chain reaction of different events that would take place if he were killed.

There are a lot of details about the Contingency that have to do with the fall of the Empire and Operation: Cinder, but they don't address the "how" of Palpatine's survival as much as they deal with the construction of the First Order. For the actual resurrection, it all comes together on the Sith planet of Exegol, where Palpatine spent a lot of time before his death.

Palpatine and his Sith Eternal cult experimented with cloning on Exegol and spent years putting together the Final Order fleet. It was always Palpatine's plan to have this ready-made army waiting for him when he returned after his death. When Vader killed him on the second Death Star, Palpatine's consciousness was transferred to a clone of his own body on Exegol. The body was too weak for him to really use, which lead to him creating strand-casts of himself. These experiments were designed to find the perfect vessel for Palpatine to once again conquer the galaxy.

These clone versions of Palpatine led to Rey, as one of them went on to have a daughter. The experiments also created Snoke, who ran the First Order in Palpatine's stead. When Palpatine found out about Rey, he knew that she would be the most powerful vessel for him to commandeer, so he used his clones and resources to try and draw her to him.

I hate this! LOL.

The biggest problem with Disney Star Wars is their insistence of clinging to the past and not being imaginative.

The death of Palpatine is the end of Vader, Luke, Leia and the rest's stories.
The new generation should have been given a new threat to deal with and should have gotten a little help and guidance from the old guard.
Killing Snoke in TLJ was a hilarious misstep because you are leaving an action/adventure serial with no "big bad" for the final 3rd of the trilogy.

A threat from outside the galaxy would have been the perfect expansion of the Star Wars universe and would have opened the door to creativity and imaginative new story threads. Instead they just went with "Palpatine Came Back".

Even the visuals of New Palpatine were set up in such a way as it looked like the guy was somehow saved from the Death Star before it blew up (and they also introduced the idea of force users flying through space with Leia in TLJ so...) but then they've gone back and said that actually it's a clone.

It's just horrible, lazy and kind of boring writing.

AmuroChan

A for effort, but it's too late past the point where it's going to change anyone's opinions about the sequel trilogy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pap is interesting, he got chance after chance he does make Star Wars better. The head of the sith is a tough job lol

Top Bottom