• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Eclipse - Reveal Trailer | The Game Awards 2021

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
New game by Quantic Dream is now confirmed to be Star Wars !

Star Wars Eclipse is the newest adventure in the High Republic era, now early in development by Quantic Dream.
Set during the High Republic era, Star Wars Eclipse is an intricately branching action-adventure game that can be experienced in many ways, and puts the destinies of multiple playable characters in your hands, created in collaboration between Quantic Dream and Lucasfilm Games.

Last edited:

ButchCat

Can't wait to continue looking for Shaun in space.
mBxtpQ.gif

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm confused, they said High Republic era, but isn't that Cad Bane and Embo and some other familiar figures? I don't know this era, but isn't it like 200 years before Star Wars OT or something like that? Any help somebody who's up on this era could provide?

Not actual gameplay and not platforms? Weird...
Oh, you'll get no platforms during TGAs. It's maddening, especially if you're a Switch fan you'll just look at a few of these (not necessarily this one) and go, "Well, maybe I've got the box to play that?"

Last edited:

Dr Bass

QD always show real-time stuff but looks like this is pre render cgi :(
Yeah that's what I was wondering. Thought it actually looked like the next step up from everything we are seeing, but seemed too good to be true for real time.

If it was just CG then eh. I mean good CG but ... who cares.

CamHostage

QD always show real-time stuff but looks like this is pre render cgi :(

True, but QD always in the past was promoting their own technology and storytelling (or character portrayal, at least,) and eventually its gameplay systems. This is the Star Wars machine at work here, so it's kind of a different beast they're dealing with. It's understandable IMO that they're not leading the exposure of the game with in-engine/gameplay just yet, no matter what the state of the engine is so far. The scale's too big for them to do a demo of like, "Here's how we do UHD Rodian facial animation...", we will see some tech showcases in time but instead they left the trailers to some CGI team while they work heads-down on the game project.

Last edited:

Fbh

The trailer itself was pretty cool IMO. But cool trailers and meh final product is pretty much the norm for star wars these days .

And it's Quantic Dream so I have zero hype or expectations.

plushyp

I hate this trend of setting things years before the main series. I'm not asking to feature the main film/series/games characters but at least set it afterwards to move things forward. This is my problem with the new Hogwarts game as well.

Bridges

This looked extremely impressive, I was really blown away and thought "wow, this is next gen"

...and then it ends with "not actual gameplay"

I need to know a lot more but having QD work on this IP is certainly capturing my imagination. I could see myself getting this if its not $70.

Camreezie

Dont care that it's not gameplay . Do care that the track record for star wars games getting shitcanned is high

Barakov

One hell of a trailer. Not the biggest fan of Quantric Dream games(only played the indigo prophecy) but I think I'll have to day one this game just because the the pairing of the developer and the franchise is just too interesting.

ManaByte

I hate this trend of setting things years before the main series. I'm not asking to feature the main film/series/games characters but at least set it afterwards to move things forward. This is my problem with the new Hogwarts game as well.
The problem with setting anything within the lifespan of the OT characters is you’ll get angry manchildren on YouTube raging that their head canon was raped.

High Republic is 500 years before the Skywalkers. The only recognizable character is Yoda, and he’s basically a teenager at this point. Gives them way more freedom without angering head canon freaks on social media.

pqueue

The problem with setting anything within the lifespan of the OT characters is you’ll get angry manchildren on YouTube raging that their head canon was raped.

High Republic is 500 years before the Skywalkers. The only recognizable character is Yoda, and he’s basically a teenager at this point. Gives them way more freedom without angering head canon freaks on social media.
200 years.
get your head canon correct.

jaysius

Banned
I've been reading the adult novels in the series so far it hasn't really caught me, but if this is High Republic, it's odd that they didn't show the antagonists the Nihil at all in the video.
marchion-ro-concept-art-8363.jpg

He's just a human.

I think Darth Vader is too OP for almost any story they stick him in, it's great that they've found a new protagonist. Although they have a MUCH better storyline with the New Jedi Order, they had the Yuuzahn Vong a race that was force immune so it made Jedi's have to develop new tactics. They also used living ships, was a cool wrinkle in the Star Wars lore. The New Jedi Order series was great, all approved by Jabba the Lucas too until Disney came and fucked up all the extended universe.

OXHe3Xy.jpeg

Batiman

Banned
Not a fan of QD games but this trailer was pretty dope. I’m hoping at least for some decent gameplay in this and not be too cinematic

I've been reading the adult novels in the series so far it hasn't really caught me, but if this is High Republic, it's odd that they didn't show the antagonists the Nihil at all in the video.
marchion-ro-concept-art-8363.jpg

He's just a human.

I think Darth Vader is too OP for almost any story they stick him in, it's great that they've found a new protagonist. Although they have a MUCH better storyline with the New Jedi Order, they had the Yuuzahn Vong a race that was force immune so it made Jedi's have to develop new tactics. They also used living ships, was a cool wrinkle in the Star Wars lore. The New Jedi Order series was great, all approved by Jabba the Lucas too until Disney came and fucked up all the extended universe.

OXHe3Xy.jpeg
The Vong are basically Star Wars Cenobites.

They might be too dark and grotesque for Disney Wars to ever use.

yurinka

Looks so awesome best looking Star Wars game ever at least in cinematics. Visuals, art style, character and ships design look perfect and I think Quantic Dream are super talented and a great fit for Star Wars.

Not actual gameplay and not platforms? Weird...
It means that platforms are (I assume next gen only) PS, Xbox, PC

Last edited:

2AdEPT

Sorry folks, still no one to verify cad banes age? He was definitely in the trailer and was in the series during the young anakin and Asohka Tano cartoons. Cool character for sure BTW.

edit: Ok I geeked out and looked it up myself:

Cad Bane was born in 62 BBy whihc is about 62 years before the imperial take over of the republic (a new hope etc). Since he looks abou tthe same as he did in the clone wars, this doesnt look lke its too much earlier than clone wars and we could see the likes of other charcters like darth maul and ahsoka tano. Bane was an awesome bounty hunter and was pretty much second only to Janga fett. He took over as number one when he died and worked for sidous at times.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sorry folks, still no one to verify cad banes age? He was definitely in the trailer and was in the series during the young anakin and Asohka Tano cartoons. Cool character for sure BTW.

edit: Ok I geeked out and looked it up myself:

Cad Bane was born in 62 BBy whihc is about 62 years before the imperial take over of the republic (a new hope etc). Since he looks abou tthe same as he did in the clone wars, this doesnt look lke its too much earlier than clone wars and we could see the likes of other charcters like darth maul and ahsoka tano. Bane was an awesome bounty hunter and was pretty much second only to Janga fett. He took over as number one when he died and worked for sidous at times.
As I remember this game is set in the High Republic, which is set 200 years before Episode I

That was 100% prerendered CG.
Look at how Detroit cinematics look in a base PS4. If this game is next gen only (I assume it's the case), this could be real time cinematics. These Quantic Dream folks are beasts.

I want to believe this ppl can make actual good gameplay.
They did it several times, go play their games and you'll get it. They are the best ones in their genre. Which isn't hack'n slash or platformers.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
It's surprising they trusted QD for their first game based on the High Republic given it's the next franchise's big investment in the future.

Top Bottom