• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: After the "rocky" High Republic they bring back the Legacy books

Lupingosei

Banned

So they bring back those books, they threw out after taking over.

I can not believe that people did not fall in love in characters like this

960x0.jpg

display

kunonabi

Friggin Geode. Only way something like that could ever be worthwhile is if a nude Natasha Henstridge eventually pops out of it.

It's just amazing how much of a failure Disney buying Lucasfilm has turned out to be. You go from creating characters like Thrawn and Mara Jade to a rock and creepy looking non-binary transgender twins.

GreyHorace

So after they scrapped the EU, they bring it back in a desperate bid to win back fans after High Republic shitshow?

Fuck you Disney. Star Wars needs creators with imagination and not virtue signaling hacks who can't write their way out of a paper bag.

YuLY

Friggin Geode. Only way something like that could ever be worthwhile is if a nude Natasha Henstridge eventually pops out of it.
Damn, Natasha Henstridge, thats a name I havent heard in a while. But she was indeed something in her prime. I still remember in Maximum Risk when my boi Jean Claude took that bish like he owns her.

I still have hopes that High Republic aint where the next movies are heading even if everything points towards that. I need to read some more books of the extended universe, really enjoyed the Revan one.

truth777

Banned
They should’ve cast Nicholas Cage as Geode. Just hearing him describe the character during the promos would’ve been worth it since Star Wars is a joke now anyways.

Kev Kev

i read the thrawn trilogy after hearing about how amazing it was and getting really excited about it

i thought it was dorky and mediocre. wasnt impressed at all. it was actually quite difficult to make it through, but i heard it had a great pay off and was essential for the EU, so i forced it. started the x wing series after that and made it to book 3 before i gave it up.

the EU just wasnt that good from what i experienced. it didnt hurt my feelings at all that they got rid of it. i did like that they kept thrawn in some capacity, he was a great character. i havent checked out any of the high republic because i fear it will be about the same experience. so my feelings wouldnt be hurt if they phased that out as well.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Star Wars shows up through games, books, shows etc. all they have to do is expand the intergalactic world
luke skywalker droid GIF by Star Wars

sol_bad

Isn't Geod just a joke character?
And Disney have constantly published the Legends books. The Legend branding has been around for years.

Ionian

i read the thrawn trilogy after hearing about how amazing it was and getting really excited about it

i thought it was dorky and mediocre. wasnt impressed at all. it was actually quite difficult to make it through, but i heard it had a great pay off and was essential for the EU, so i forced it. started the x wing series after that and made it to book 3 before i gave it up.

the EU just wasnt that good from what i experienced. it didnt hurt my feelings at all that they got rid of it. i did like that they kept thrawn in some capacity, he was a great character. i havent checked out any of the high republic because i fear it will be about the same experience. so my feelings wouldnt be hurt if they phased that out as well.

Read it as a young teen and really liked it. Haven't recently though. Thrawns in the original Ti-Fighter game on PC and that was awesome at the time.

The EU books are very hit and miss, have read some good and dreadful ones. The short-story ones are probably the better ones, there's one about the bounty hunters (can't remember the name). At least with those the stories are small enough to not get bored with if they're bad.

Lupingosei

Banned
Isn't Geod just a joke character?
And Disney have constantly published the Legends books. The Legend branding has been around for years.
They have been pushed back, because of some afaik complicated license agreement with George Lucas, Disney makes less money from Legacy material than from their own stuff.

That is why they pushed the High Republic and stuff like this so much and now going back to promote the legacy books again is a sign that they need money, from whatever source it is coming from.

sol_bad

They have been pushed back, because of some afaik complicated license agreement with George Lucas, Disney makes less money from Legacy material than from their own stuff.

That is why they pushed the High Republic and stuff like this so much and now going back to promote the legacy books again is a sign that they need money, from whatever source it is coming from.

Please, show me proof of this bull crap contract. There is no proof. Stop watching Doomcock.

Lupingosei

Banned
Please, show me proof of this bull crap contract. There is no proof. Stop watching Doomcock.
Lucas himself made royalty contracts with the writers of Legacy books, that they should receive part of the sales. Some of these contracts are decades old and when Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, those agreements were actually still valid, but Disney stopped the payments anyway. Some writers are even suing Disney because they ignored those contracts Lucas made with them.

As I said, Disney makes less money on Legacy books because of this and has to pay the authors. Some speculate, that this was one of the reasons for the de-canonization.

Last edited:
Geode is so funny. VeggieTales characters have more going on.

Lucas is probably making tons of money, since he took a lot of his fee in D stock, and the combination of Pixar and Star Wars alone will produce enough content for them to milk for the next century. Which is good for him, good for them, and good for fans. It just sucks that these are the people who are writing the material. Timothy Zahn would never come up with something this stupid. This is what you get when you hire people based on ideology and cronyism rather than ability.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Lucas himself made royalty contracts with the writers of Legacy books, that they should receive part of the sales. Some of these contracts are decades old and when Disney bought the Star Wars franchise, those agreements were actually still valid, but Disney stopped the payments anyway. Some writers are even suing Disney because they ignored those contracts Lucas made with them.

As I said, Disney makes less money on Legacy books because of this and has to pay the authors. Some speculate, that this was one of the reasons for the de-canonization.

Disney have been selling the legacy/legends content for years. There is no proof that Disney was trying to get rid of legacy characters due to old contracts or whatever, if that was the case they wouldn't have brought the original cast back for the sequel films, they wouldn't make books, films or comics about them, they wouldn't make Rebels which is basically a sequel to Clone Wars, they wouldn't have made Mandalorian with constant memberberries. They wouldn't have reprinted old EU books under the Legends branding. There is constant content from legacy ideas.

It's really weird how the "fans" complain that Disney can't make new ideas and are "creatively bankrupt" and then those same "fans" start throwing stones at Disney when they try to deviate away from legacy content (Hight Republic) and start creating rumours about Disney trying to get rid of legacy content "due to contracts and having to pay more money".

You said it yourself, "complicated" license agreement, we don't know all the ins and outs of the business but maybe Disney weren't privy to all these legacy licenses, there are hundreds of Legends books which probably have their own individual contracts. Of course Disney are a greedy corporate company and they'll try and get out of paying anything they can (just like every other corporate entity) but these legacy contracts may not have been fully known. I mean, Disney bought Lucasfilm and started rebranding and selling legacy books as Legends in 2014 or so. Alan Dean Foster didn't make a fuss about his royalties until 2020 (as far as the public eye knows) so maybe even he himself wasn't aware of how the contracts worked and what he was entitled to. You don't sit there and lose 6 years of income for fun.

Whether it's a Legends book or a book based on the official cannon, Disney still need to pay royalties to the author.
Another thing, if Disney wanted to avoid paying Alan Dean Foster they could have just chosen not to reprint his books. But they did under the Legends branding.

PS: I'm not paying to read WSJ or Telegraph UK by the way.

The success of The Mandalorian and the sheer amount of Baby Yodas my kids own at this point tell me it's very much alive. You might be right about movie trilogies though.
It’s a zombie now. A dead thing still moving on the momentum of the past. The prequels were terrible movies, but at least they were trying to tell some kind of story and had respect for the characters. The Disney movies were aimless disasters that literally spit in older fan’s faces with some of their decisions. Mandalorian isn’t going to save it.

MilkLizard

Not Mandalorian alone no. And I agree of course, the Disney Trilogy ended up being complete trash. But all the other shows coming, the success of Mando, Clone Wars S07, the comics have a solid fanbase, etc...it's far from dead. Kids eat that shit up, and let's not forget, Star Wars is mainly for kids.

EMMvDTyWoAAMZzR.jpg

sol_bad

It’s a zombie now. A dead thing still moving on the momentum of the past. The prequels were terrible movies, but at least they were trying to tell some kind of story and had respect for the characters. The Disney movies were aimless disasters that literally spit in older fan’s faces with some of their decisions. Mandalorian isn’t going to save it.

Respect respect RESPECT RESPEEEEEEEEEECT "MY" FICTIONAL CHARACTEEEEEEERS!!!!!!!

Respect respect RESPECT RESPEEEEEEEEEECT "MY" FICTIONAL CHARACTEEEEEEERS!!!!!!!
I mean it’s whatever. But don’t expect me to be interested if I think you’re taking a shit on characters I grew up idolizing. I could go into why I feel that way, but it’s been done a million times already. But they lost me. I don’t like the direction they went so I’m out. It’s really not that complicated.

Last edited:
A lost all interest in SW after the new movies especially last Jedi. I mean episode 6 was for nothing. Vader died for nothing and was not the chosen one. Han failed as a father, Leia failed as a general and failed to unite the new republic, and most of all my hero Luke Skywalker failed miserably. The man who never gave up and saw the good in his father wanted to kill his nephew in his sleep? I don’t even feel like watching 1-6 anymore because all that has been invalidated and has no meaning anymore.

sol_bad

A lost all interest in SW after the new movies especially last Jedi. I mean episode 6 was for nothing. Vader died for nothing and was not the chosen one. Han failed as a father, Leia failed as a general and failed to unite the new republic, and most of all my hero Luke Skywalker failed miserably. The man who never gave up and saw the good in his father wanted to kill his nephew in his sleep? I don’t even feel like watching 1-6 anymore because all that has been invalidated and has no meaning anymore.

Episode 4 was for nothing! Obi-Wan died for nothing!! Luke failed miserably by using space magic to blow up that first Death Star!!!
New Republic was united as far as I'm aware by the way.

He didn't want to kill his nephew either, he was conflicted.

INC

Are we sure the rock isn't just Rey? Its hard to tell part, performance wise

Last edited:

AngelaLifman

Neo Member

So they bring back those books, they threw out after taking over.

I can not believe that people did not fall in love in characters like this

960x0.jpg

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but it seems like a good time to start reading these books. Today I found this site https://freebooksummary.com/category/one-hundred-years-of-solitude while looking for information about One Hundred Years of Solitude. There is a summary of it. I'll try looking there for Star Wars as well, but thanks for the little spoilers too, hehe.

display

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but it seems like a good time to start reading these books.

Top Bottom