• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

ManaByte

It's very good. More of this please. I love the pacing too. It takes time for things. Only gripe I have is that it's a bit to jokey, but I can live with that. This is the way to do a modern Star Trek. Not Discovery and certainly not Picard.
I think the jokey tone fits with this time in Pike’s command. He’s had the Enterprise for a decade at this point. He runs a more relaxed ship. The informal family dinner shows that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My Strange New Worlds Ep 2 review...

Hot garbage. Pike is so bad I yearn for Michael Burnham. His personality is literally "metrosexual idiot". Writers are soooo important for Star Trek and they don't have any.

dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb.gif

Melon Husk

I skipped through the second episode because everyone deserves a second chance. Still no. The Orville is a more mature take on Star Trek than this.

Bless your hearts trying to fit these new shows into Star Trek timelines. It's all Kurtzmanverse to me.

Two shows in and I'm content and optimistic enough about the next episode but I'm not enjoying the informal banter and speaking out of turn of the lower ranks.
Yeah the crew dialogue is incredibly grating. And Pike is being pretty obnoxious on top of it. Everything else about the second episode was pretty decent.

AJUMP23

Episode 3 - COVID episode.

A lot more to it. but it felt like lets lock everyone down, we don't know how it is spreading.....oh it is still spreading with people locked down.

Oberstein

Episode 3 - COVID episode.

A lot more to it. but it felt like lets lock everyone down, we don't know how it is spreading.....oh it is still spreading with people locked down.

It could have been worse. When Una initiated the lockdown, I thought she was going to hand out masks with the starfleet logo on them to the crew.
I liked the actress who plays Una, and I don't mind that she's
not human. It doesn't break the canon, I think, there was already a lot of vagueness around the character.
On the other hand, the doctor's story is as phony as it gets. Well, at least he's not a mad scientist, it's a change from Picard.
The ship is still gorgeous.

Last edited:

ItsGreat

Taken from Reddit.

If this description of a scene makes you facepalm you may not like this episode....

Ortegas observes a crewmember waddling around in underwear in the halls pressed against lights and has this exchange

Ortegas: Ensign Lance, you all right?

Lance: It's too dark in here

Ortegas: Okay it's been a long day for all of us, but maybe this is something you should do in your own quarters?

Lance: Need to feel the light on my skin

Ortegas: Whatever tweaks your freak pal.

(THEN SHE JUST KEEPS WALKING. SHE MAKES NO EFFORT TO CALL SECURITY OR REPRIMAND THIS ENSIGN WHO IS ACTING STRANGE AND WALKING AROUND IN UNDERWEAR BABBLING ABOUT NEEDING LIGHT. ORTEGAS IS MORE THAN HAPPY TO LEAVE HIM THERE.)

Lance: (smashes head against glass to get at light)

Ortegas: What the hell are you doing?! Ortega to security! I need help on deck 14!

NOW SHE DECIDES TO CALL SECURITY. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. KEEP IN MIND ORTEGAS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIEUTENANT.

That's why I'm not going to watch it. I've finally learnt my lesson.
NuTrek isn't going to get any better.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The first episode far, far exceeded my expectations. The production value was outright major feature film levels at times.

I think my favorite part was the way the actor portrayed young Spock. Very much like Leonard Nimoy, but more natural, more human. Less deliberate (especially when compared to Quinto's Spock). He did a really good job.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode 2 was amazing. Young Uhura is crazy likeable. I loved the message of the episode at the end - I admit, should have seen it coming but it managed to surprise me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There are no attractive females in the Strange New Worlds cast.

Uhura in TOS = Hottie
Uhura in JJ movies = Hottie
Uhura in SNW = Not a hottie

Last edited:
Third episode was not too bad - better than the first two. I wish the Doctor had a different actor, I can barely make out his dialogue.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I chased SNW with an episode of Enterprise last night. Mediocre Trek is such a breath of fresh air. Carbon Creek, where Romulans make First Contact with earth...

Star-Trek-TPol-Carbon-Creek.jpg

- Killer theme song.
- Cameraman isn't instructed that it's his job to keep viewers engaged.
- 1940s small town America isn't filled with evil white people.
- Sci fi dilemma takes precedent over character feelings.
- Protagonist becomes more hopeful person by end of the episode.

Contrast that with an 60 year old Rebecca Romain preaching "Would they accept me if I wasn't exemplary? When will it be enough to just BE an Illyrian?"

Third episode was not too bad - better than the first two. I wish the Doctor had a different actor, I can barely make out his dialogue.
Turn on the subtitles you racist :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Actually maybe that's why you thought the third episode was an improvement, because you didn't have to hear the dialogue.

Oberstein

This episode exceeded my expectations.
OK, it's been seen before (Balance of Terror, etc), but the execution was really good. It really felt like they were on a submarine.

Well, on the other hand Hemmer and Uhura surviving this is almost impossible (the pressure should have killed them?), and Una is used as a filler in this episode, but hey, it passes.

Best episode of the season so far, Anson didn't lie.

ManaByte

This episode exceeded my expectations.
OK, it's been seen before (Balance of Terror, etc), but the execution was really good. It really felt like they were on a submarine.

Well, on the other hand Hemmer and Uhura surviving this is almost impossible (the pressure should have killed them?), and Una is used as a filler in this episode, but hey, it passes.

Best episode of the season so far, Anson didn't lie.

It didn't break canon?

xandaca

Strong episode. I appreciated how it was an action episode which still touched on ethics and philosophy (sacrifice and pacifism) and how the Gorn were a consistently formidable enemy beaten not because the writers nerfed them, but because the Enterprise crew out-thought them. The submarine-feel echoed Wrath Of Khan, but didn't make its inspiration too literal and did its own thing within a similar framework. La'An (despite her surname) and Hemer are two of the show's most engaging characters, so having the focus on them was welcome. The dialogue still stinks far too often, specifically the stupid quipping, and more specifically Ortegas' stupid quipping ("Into the brown cloud of death" was insubordinate and unprofessional), and I dislike how Peck confuses being unemotional for being completely po-faced and monotone (Nimoy was always expressive in voice and manner), but despite its flaws, SNW is recognisably Star Trek, which is a huge step up on what New Trek has produced so far.

ManaByte

Yea that was great.

Next week is the comedy episode like the Tribble episodes. Spock and T’pring body swap.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
never have I seen a show that sounds so good, looks so good, but the writing and execution is so bad..
its like the fan fiction treks show with a bigger budget..
its not as horrible as discovery or picard.. but its really at best barely as good as enterprise was in season 1..which wasn't that good till the xindi war story arc started.
ever episode tries to distract from "THE MESSAGE" by waving a really shallow "hey remember this cool nostalgic thing?" flag in your face hoping you don't notice how stupid they are.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My E4 review:

I no longer think Strange New Worlds is the best of the NuTrek. It's all just a swirling vat of diarrhea.

The last straw for me is watching Pike make a bunch of effeminate, worried facial expressions next to La'an and she's doing a Clint Eastwood impression.

I'm out. I'll check back in once Kurtzman leaves or when a new spinoff comes out that gives me a shred of hope.

It's been a long road...getting from there to here...

Ep 4 was kind of okay recycled Star Trek except for all the cringy zoomer dialogue. And I hated the contrivance w/ the brown dwarf and black hole timing. I mean they could have easily written that in to relate to their mission to the colony. Not sure the Li'an and bro backstory w/ deciphered lights makes any sort of sense either but my attention was waning.

ManaByte

My E4 review:

I no longer think Strange New Worlds is the best of the NuTrek. It's all just a swirling vat of diarrhea.

The last straw for me is watching Pike make a bunch of effeminate, worried facial expressions next to La'an and she's doing a Clint Eastwood impression.

I'm out. I'll check back in once Kurtzman leaves or when a new spinoff comes out that gives me a shred of hope.

It's been a long road...getting from there to here...

Reminder that this poster really loves Picard.

clarky

Gold Member
Enjoyed 1+2 thought 3 was shit.

Definitely the best of the new trek stuff but the bar is very low. Hopefully this grows into something really good as its got potential.

Loving the set for the bridge, looks awesome.

Top Bottom