• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek reboot-verse now marketed as Kelvin Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
LOL; loving the thread re-namings this week by mods.

Should throw a "and Hillary Clinton approves" at the end though.

MisterHero

You kinda remind me of DC comics haha

It's effectively, if not technically, a reboot right?

In terms of the franchise life and marketing, it's a reboot.

Plotwise, it's the same chain of events that began with TOS. So, not a plot reboot as comics do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In terms of the franchise life and marketing, it's a reboot.

Plotwise, it's the same chain of events that began with TOS. So, not a plot reboot as comics do.

Eh, they did a lot of the things that get done with a comic reboot. They changed the ages/origins of some of the characters, sometimes dramatically so.

MisterHero

Eh, they did a lot of the things that get done with a comic reboot. They changed the ages/origins of some of the characters, sometimes dramatically so.
Kirk's origin is different because of a chain of events that happened in the future, not arbitrarily so.

A comic company wants their flagship character to be cooler, so they just decide to rewrite every freaking character so that one character doesn't have red underpants. That is arbitrary.

Everything that happens in the Kelvin timeline is because a giant enemy warship from the future tried to destroy Earth. Kirk never living on Tarsus, Pike completely avoiding his radiation accident, the Federation/Klingons towards militarization.

There are some inconsistencies, like Kirk possibly being lightyears away from his birthplace in Riverside, Iowa. Or STXI treating Kirk and Spock as the same age, etc. but that is being pedantic. What are other arbitrary changes in STXI?

My favorite Space Trek character is Captain Kirt. May the force be with you!
I can't help but be reminded of Marge vs the Monorail here.

Mayor Quimby: And now, I'd like to turn things over to our Grand Marshall, Mr. Leonard Nimoy.
Leonard Nimoy: [referring to the monorail] I'd say this vessel could do at least Warp Five.
[crowd laughs]
Mayor Quimby: And let me say, "May the Force be with you."
Leonard Nimoy: [annoyed] Do you even know who I am?
Mayor Quimby: I think I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Wait, so could Q jump into this timeline and still know the further Picard? Or is his powers still limited to a single temporal continuum? I would think the latter since "All Good Things..." makes it seem like even tangents couldn't afford Q a lack of power.

Ok that might be the geekiest thing I have ever typed.

I really enjoyed ST Countdown even if Worf got played like a chump

Prime Picard even appeared in the "Kelvin" timeline of comics. Q appears to him and says "Spock lives", then runs off to mess with the Kelvin Enterprise.

So I agree with you, it's really a continuation

edit: here it is
The comics aren't canon. They never were. The only things for Trek that are canon are what's on screen or directly from the word of God themselves. Comics, books, video games, etc are not canon. They can be made canon if referenced on or adapted to screen, but it's best to not consider what happens in comics, even tie-ins, to be part of the lore.

MisterHero

The comics aren't canon. They never were. The only things for Trek that are canon are what's on screen or directly from the word of God themselves. Comics, books, video games, etc are not canon. They can be made canon if referenced on or adapted to screen, but it's best to not consider what happens in comics, even tie-ins, to be part of the lore.
Countdown at least is canon until it's not. I have to unfortunately concede overall though; the comics series was adapting stories from the five year mission. Even Into Darkness happens before that.

It could be canon if the Animated Series could become canon though! (maybe)

Skux

I like this approach, feels very comic book multiverse. The show can have a lot of the same elements but isn't weighed down by decades of lore.

gryvan

I love Star Trek (everything except several episodes of voyager...(GAWD WARP 10 NOOOO) and most of enterprise)

but I still don't understand this Kelvin timeline thingie...when I googled it the only mention of that is from the MMO game Star Trek Online...

Skunkers

Karl Urban is great tho.

Agreed.

To me, Anton Yelchin (RIP) and Karl Urban are the standout performances in the new cast that sort of evoked the spirit of the original cast while simultaneously making the roles their own. Quinto's Spock isn't bad either considering, but Nimoy's voice was one of a kind and his performances are a higher bar to reach.

I really enjoyed ST Countdown even if Worf got played like a chump

Prime Picard even appeared in the "Kelvin" timeline of comics. Q appears to him and says "Spock lives", then runs off to mess with the Kelvin Enterprise.

So I agree with you, it's really a continuation

edit: here it is
This whole story was a fun read coming right off of binge-watching all of DS9 for the first time, not gonna lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom