• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek reboot-verse now marketed as Kelvin Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

The current series of Star Trek is amazing. It has a great cast, amazing characters and character development, deep emotion, epic action, and makes us think. Truly the only thing it's lacked is a proper designation. you can't call it TOS because it's not TOS. Can't call it a reboot because it's not and anyone who says otherwise is stupid or full of shit. Can't call it nutrek or jjverse because those are more simplicity designations, so what is it supposed to be referred to as?

In Star Trek, throughout its entirety, we know that there are a gorillion different timelines and quantum realities, some of which are featured in movies and tv episodes like the prime mirror universe timeline, the prime timeline, the timeline where his poor battered Riker has one of the last ships left, and the timeline where my beloved series takes place...

The Kelvin Timeline

https://mobile.twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/745096154933714948
https://mobile.twitter.com/hollyamos22/status/745402242744750082
https://mobile.twitter.com/hollyamos22/status/745397308833947650

It's official! The Okudas, for those not in the know, are the ones behind the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the same one that's been revised and updated and the same which gets a 2-volume reprint this fall covering most of the canon of the Entire 50 years and all 13 films and all episodes. Canonically, this timeline is The Kelvin Timeline, and will be referenced as such within the encyclopedia. The designation makes perfect sense too, as the main fork was when Nero from the prime timeline got caught in Spock's singularity and went and destroyed the Kelvin and got captured by Klingons.

Current series will not be current series for long with a new show on the horizon. I am happy to reference it as Kelvin Timeline Trek, or the KT series.

tumblr_lzln2vsRZo1qzlvmi.gif

Lol. Jk.

So from the first reboot onward is this new timeline?

Volimar

Prime universe Romulans got screwed. Thrown to the wolves for the grand experiment that was the Kelvin universe. Kind of historical irony there though...

I always liked the Okudas.

HUELEN10

It's the Not Prime timeline

Yep, it's Kelvin. And Kelvin Timeline trek is special in so many ways. for one, it's the only series where it mainly takes place entirely in not the prime timeline, and it's the first time a timeline other than the prime one is the focus on the silver screen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The current series of Star Trek is amazing. It has a great cast, amazing characters and character development, deep emotion, epic action, and makes us think.
The only accurate statement here is the great cast, even if they're largely wasted. The new movies are all but devoid of genuine character development, emotion, and thought provoking topics.

KevinCow

Banned
There is no way one can call it a reboot with a straight face after gaining knowledge of the series. Calling this series and that film a reboot is as flawed as calling A Mirror Darkly a reboot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(fiction)

Another type of reboot is a "soft reboot". Unlike a reboot, which discards all continuity, a soft reboot relaunches and introduces a film, television, or video game series to a new generation of consumers while still maintaining continuity with previous installments in a franchise.

How is it not, at the very least, a soft reboot? It was clearly intended as a new beginning, and a jumping-on point for new viewers.

The fact that it uses time travel to hit a big RESET button and start over with the same characters as the original series puts it somewhere between a soft reboot and a hard reboot for me.

HUELEN10

That's the thing, nothing resets. It wasn't a relaunch either, the story starts about 8 years after nemesis. Yes it was marketed as a new start and a reboot, but that doesn't mean it is one.

How is it not, at the very least, a soft reboot? It was clearly intended as a new beginning, and a jumping-on point for new viewers.

I mean, we're all making up this bullshit jargon as we go along. Its not like there's a bunch of hard and fast ironclad rules here as to our terminology for making old shit sound more interesting than it really is.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

The fact that it uses time travel to hit a big RESET button and start over with the same characters as the original series puts it somewhere between a soft reboot and a hard reboot for me.

You can't reboot time, its as simple as that.

KevinCow

Banned
That's the thing, nothing resets. It wasn't a relaunch either, the story starts about 8 years after nemesis. Yes it was marketed as a new start and a reboot, but that doesn't mean it is one.

If it was marketed as a reboot, then it's a reboot.

MisterHero

I really enjoyed ST Countdown even if Worf got played like a chump

Prime Picard even appeared in the "Kelvin" timeline of comics. Q appears to him and says "Spock lives", then runs off to mess with the Kelvin Enterprise.

So I agree with you, it's really a continuation

edit: here it is

It was also marketed that XII had an all-new villian played by cumberbatch. Just because marketing says one thing doesn't necessarily make it so Kevin, that's flawed.

The fact that they remixed wrath of khan lends a ton of credence to it being a reboot. They are rebooting the characters and events of old trek for modern audiences.

The term you're looking for is retcon. The old timeline was not retconned.

HUELEN10

Prime Picard even appeared in the "Kelvin" timeline of comics. Q appears to him and says "Spock lives", then runs off to mess with the Kelvin Enterprise.

Best part is when Q comes back
in his super form from the prophets and shit
and Picard is all like, I'm not gonna even ask...

HUELEN10

The fact that they remixed wrath of khan lends a ton of credence to it being a reboot. They are rebooting the characters and events of old trek for modern audiences.

The term you're looking for is retcon. The old timeline was not retconned.
With that logic, Nemesis is a reboot because it shares a LOT more with II than XII does.
So the new show they have planned for next year is in this timeline, and not the Prime/Original one?

We don't know! Could be prime, KT, Or something else entirely. Since it is an anthology series spanning eras with full arcs, we have to see!

KevinCow

Banned
It was also marketed that XII had an all-new villian played by cumberbatch. Just because marketing says one thing doesn't necessarily make it so Kevin, that's flawed.

Marketing intentionally lying to try to keep something a surprise is not the same thing as marketing stating something about the very nature of their product.

It's a reboot the same way Mortal Kombat 9 is a reboot.

Arguing with Huelen is like arguing with a wall. Just call it a reboot in your head and don't let them hear you say it. Because Huelen has more internet breath to waste of the nuances of this argument than you do. I say this with affection.

It's not a bad name for the timeline. I just wish they'd do some actual science fiction with these movies and not just keep making action movies. Not even, like, Enemy Mine or Star Trek The Motion Picture level of dry sci fi. Gimme even hollywood versions of it, like I, Robot or something. One movie without someone sprinting or sliding for 15 solid minutes. Oh, and people talking while not out-of-breath or emphatically emotional.

Morts

edit: here it is

I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize Missouri the comics.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

dudes out of his gourd, it's a reboot.

Not

Banned
I like it. I need that new Encyclopedia. I remember poring through one that came out around 1998 or something.

This looks right. '97 or '99.

mgp2XSywVtXRtmBArTL6wog.jpg

HUELEN10

Wait, where and how do things diverge because I'm not getting the difference.

Well in Star Trek, the simplestest explanation you can give is the following.

Quantum timelines are infinite and are all running in parallel. For the most part, the series where most of the action takes place is called the prime timeline, but has it always been the same one?

There lies the questions, the answer and the simplicity. It has become accepted by many that while you can go from one quantum timeline to another, you can NEVER go back to the original. So when in Star Trek IV they went back in time, they didn't go back to their future, but an arguably identical timeline where the Botany Bay left for the past a few moments prior, and that gets re-designated as the prime timeline. happens in first contact to.

So divergent points happen every time you go back or try to come back, since you can never return from whence you've came (Q-like beings and the like being another story).

In KT, the main divergent fork from it and designated prime si the fact that the Kelvin gets destroyed by the Narada, a 24th century romulan mining vessel retrofitted with advanced armory and Borg technology, which was scanned by the Kelvin, and examined by the Klingons at Rura Penthe.

That is a HUGE fork difference, and the difference don't stop there.

Not

Banned
Hey guys is Star Trek Countdown canon? Does the encyclopedia reference Ambassador Picard and Captain Data and whatnot?

MisterHero

I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize Missouri the comics.
There are moments when it's pretty nuts, like when Nero uses freaking V'Ger to predict where Spock Prime appears in STXI

It's still fun though, like when Scotty causes a Tribble outbreak on Earth

HUELEN10

I like it. I need that new Encyclopedia. I remember poring through one that came out around 1998 or something.

This looks right. '97 or '99.

mgp2XSywVtXRtmBArTL6wog.jpg

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2015/08/star-trek-encyclopedia-update/

2 hardcover volumes in one slip cover for like 100 on Amazon right now. I am SO getting it!
Hey guys is Star Trek Countdown canon? Does the encyclopedia reference Ambassador Picard and Captain Data and whatnot?

Encyclopedia isn't out so we don't know if it is featured, and people will try and tell you otherwise, but Countdown is absolutely Canon. Read up and you will see.

It is literally part 1 of the Nero saga, and XI is part 2. I absolutely cannot keep it Seperate. I read Coutdown, then watch XI, every time...

with the Rura Penthe scene of course.

But yeah, I hope Countodwn gets mentioned so we have more than 3 main Star Trek KT entries!

HUELEN10

There are moments when it's pretty nuts, like when Nero uses freaking V'Ger to predict where Spock Prime appears in STXI

It's still fun though, like when Scotty causes a Tribble outbreak on Earth

Oh damn, I forgot about that! Man, Scotty was being really dumb in that one.

Hey, remember when "Cupcake" got his own issue?

HUELEN10

Oy, the new thread title...

I didn't read all of them, just ones I could catch at the book store lol.

I should though

If it interests you, since it will end later this year with issue 60, I am starting work on a series finale thread with summaries!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
...They went back in time to make a divergent timeline in a movie titled Star Trek. That is a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom