• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard | Teaser Trailer (NYCC 2022)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just have one question, after having being badly burned by that first season: does Riker swing his leg over the back of a chair whenever he sits down, or not?
The real question is, does he employ the R.I.K.E.R. system in this one?

q3fbezoshgea1.jpg

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You'd have to be insane to expect this to be anything more than another embarrassment for a once-great franchise. Or, never a TNG fan to begin with.

It's the same trash they've been giving us for years, and has absolutely nothing in common with the series:

- big scary villain, who hams it up nauseautingly and knows they are the big scary villain in the plot. Why does anyone think that's a good way to establish a story? It's so tiring, this one looks even worse than Insurrection's baddie and that's the lowest yet

- dark lighting, dark rooms, dark spaceships that look like another franchise entirely

- "now we must fight!" wow exciting, it's a cheap action movie, go get that baddie

- no one wants to watch Raffi or these new characters, or even 7of9 since she's just a psychopath now as established in S1

- invert expectations! We made Worf a pacifist, what you'd least expect.. that's writing!

It's not just bad Trek, it's some of the worst written, bizarrely emotional and confused TV I've seen in my life. I watched all of seasons 1 & 2 just to see how far things have fallen, and still can't shake horrible ideas like Q dying and hugging Picard.

You'd have to be insane to expect this to be anything more than another embarrassment for a once-great franchise. Or, never a TNG fan to begin with.

It's the same trash they've been giving us for years, and has absolutely nothing in common with the series:

- big scary villain, who hams it up nauseautingly and knows they are the big scary villain in the plot. Why does anyone think that's a good way to establish a story? It's so tiring, this one looks even worse than Insurrection's baddie and that's the lowest yet

- dark lighting, dark rooms, dark spaceships that look like another franchise entirely

- "now we must fight!" wow exciting, it's a cheap action movie, go get that baddie

- no one wants to watch Raffi or these new characters, or even 7of9 since she's just a psychopath now as established in S1

- invert expectations! We made Worf a pacifist, what you'd least expect.. that's writing!

It's not just bad Trek, it's some of the worst written, bizarrely emotional and confused TV I've seen in my life. I watched all of seasons 1 & 2 just to see how far things have fallen, and still can't shake horrible ideas like Q dying and hugging Picard.
Its a three season car crash. People are watching out of morbid curiosity.

Ownage

Well the showrunner has said there are TNG-adjacent characters in the season, meaning characters from DS9 or Voyager.
I keep wanting to say they all show up a ton in STO, but not sure if ppl see STO as canon or a mirror mirror universe.

I choose to believe.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not surprising that one of the TNG-adjacent cameos would be from Voyager as that’s where he got his start.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
  • Matalas was also heavily involved in Season 2 🗑️
  • His previous Star Trek accolades were... the Borg arc at the end of Voyager. Personally, I hated Voyager's pivot towards the Borg; the whole concept of having another exploration-focused show was lost
  • This is going to be the vision of TNG that we got in the horrible later movies, mixed with STPicard's unique brand of absolute trash writing

Oberstein

Are people still falling for the enthusiastic tweets?

We were reading the same crap before the first and second season.

These actors don't give a shit about Star Trek's legacy, lore and consistency. They've been making money off the license for years, but are incapable of understanding what Star Trek was.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Are people still falling for the enthusiastic tweets?

We were reading the same crap before the first and second season.

These actors don't give a shit about Star Trek's legacy, lore and consistency. They've been making money off the license for years, but are incapable of understanding what Star Trek was.
Hope springs eternal my friend…

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The one positive thing I'll say, just for contrast: it will be neat, even if it's corny or misused, to see Moriarty on screen again for a moment.

Of course, I mostly think of him as Niles from The Nanny now.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

I get so bored with inverted character writing.

Every single time they want to make a character now, you can see the simple gears turning in their heads... "how we do make it the opposite of any stereotype because that's all we care about"

So we get:
  • "a Vulcan like Spock would be cool... but definitely make it a woman then, and let's weirdly shave her head to further ensure no possibility of sex appeal, this is progressive"

(side note for idiot progressives: women found Spock's traditionally masculine voice very sexy back in the 60s, same as they did with Kirk's attitude; Star Trek is noted for having so many female fan-fiction writers in the early days who clearly found these characters to be appealing, and who leaned into their masculine qualities even more than the show did. Even if you want diversity in viewer, you don't get it by boring, forced androgyny)

• "maybe LaForge's children, so we can foreground black characters, but definitely make them female and a pilot"

• "another Bajoran would be cool, but instead of a woman having all the feelings, let's make it a very empathic man"

• "Worf is known and loved for his system of traditional honor and warrior spirit, what if we was a pacifist?"
Some of these elements alone would be fine, but it's all they have, and all they know how to do. They just shuffle things and think themselves clever.

Artoris

Gold Member
I think what the sci-fi creates have to understand that this is not main stream, and it will nether will be if they want to create something for the main stream they are better off doing something else

Bro when Geordi was saying "Sidney" he wasn't doing white people naming their daughters "Sidney , MacKenzie, and Madison" bullshit... he was keeping it real:
wordpress-medal-obama-poitier-42-23115776.jpg

We got ourselves another pandering gender-swap!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Every single time they want to make a character now, you can see the simple gears turning in their heads... "how we do make it the opposite of any stereotype because that's all we care about"

So we get:
  • "a Vulcan like Spock would be cool... but definitely make it a woman then, and let's weirdly shave her head to further ensure no possibility of sex appeal, this is progressive"

(side note for idiot progressives: women found Spock's traditionally masculine voice very sexy back in the 60s, same as they did with Kirk's attitude; Star Trek is noted for having so many female fan-fiction writers in the early days who clearly found these characters to be appealing, and who leaned into their masculine qualities even more than the show did. Even if you want diversity in viewer, you don't get it by boring, forced androgyny)

• "maybe LaForge's children, so we can foreground black characters, but definitely make them female and a pilot"

• "another Bajoran would be cool, but instead of a woman having all the feelings, let's make it a very empathic man"

• "Worf is known and loved for his system of traditional honor and warrior spirit, what if we was a pacifist?"
Some of these elements alone would be fine, but it's all they have, and all they know how to do. They just shuffle things and think themselves clever.

1. You clearly don't remember "All Good Things" or else you'd remember ... ManaByte ManaByte took care of that above

2. You clearly don't know Worf. He will be fighting (it's been in the trailers so...)

3. What's wrong with empathetic men?

4. Bald Vulcans have been a thing for a long time n

5. The Titan's crew combadges are exactly as they were in All Good Things...

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Bro when Geordi was saying "Sidney" he wasn't doing white people naming their daughters "Sidney , MacKenzie, and Madison" bullshit... he was keeping it real:
wordpress-medal-obama-poitier-42-23115776.jpg

We got ourselves another pandering gender-swap!

See Manabyte's post. You really don't know Trek, do you?

Kilau

So we get:

Bald woman Trek has been done before, kinda lame.

No issue at all with LaForge family.

Are you mixing Bajorans with Betazoids? I don't recall empathy being a major Bajoran trait, spiritual yes but maybe I am misremembering.

Pacifist Worf really doesn’t bother me because his character was complex enough in his motivations and restraint to make that move plausible to me.

That said, I firmly believe this season will suck because too much damage has been done.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Everything about this show has my member throbbing.

Piccard is already the best thing to happen to Star Trek in decades. This series is looking like it'll be the best Star Trek has ever been.

Probably my most anticipated show of the year.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
There's no issue with the brief LaForge family reference in All Good things, back when Trek was sane. Except now you can hear even just the name, position, and race of a character and already anticipate every line they'll have on screen.

No one would be bothered, in the genuine Trek of the past, if LaForge's daughter was a pilot. But I guarantee you that on this hyper-emotional series, as a female pilot she will be incredible and an absolute prodigy, despite being a mere ensign. You won't see the realistic younger characters we got back in Lower Decks (the real one episode, not that trash cartoon) , where every ensign was realistically struggling and none were pure badasses.

Have you all watched the prior 2 seasons? They are hands down the worst Trek I've ever encountered, and that includes the 20 or TNG novels I read back in the day, comic books, and even fan fiction. There is zero understanding of what Trek is.

Would you like to defend the hilarious confusion on Guinan? Because she's a bartender on TNG, they just assumed her whole race are bartenders. Of course, we know that they are listeners, and bartending just happened to be a useful was to do that at the moment for her on TNG (in the past, she was seen listening in a different way, in the era of Mark Twain). Oh, and of course her bar is already named 10 Forward (??????). Anyone with half a brain knows that to refer to deck 10, forward of ship, so this explanation is simply bizarre. Plus, in another cheap bid to politicize her, they created a character that is nothing like the original.

That's just one example. There isn't a single moment on screen where Picard has not been the greatest embarrassment in Trek history. One of the show-runners is the guy who wrote Batman & Robin, after all.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Let's go down the list a bit more.

We had Rios, who was introduced as the rogue-ish guy. So Rogue that his first moment on screen is manually pulling shrapnel out of his shoulder shirtless while guzzling some liquor. Yes, this is written for a pre-teen level of understanding.

Then we have Raffi, whose relationships with Picard is bizarrely out of character, and around whom they threw random emotional bids to see if the audience might respond (her problems with her son, just have a cheap scene; her conflicts with the captain at random times which just seem like menopausal mood swings unrelated to the plot; now her sexuality, because all else failed to create a character).

How about 7 of 9, who is nothing but a psychopath now? They fetishize female violence so much that she is meant to hold our gaze somehow, when she's at best a simple, bitter character whose outright murdering in one scene is shot so as to suggest we are witnessing a badass triumph. TNG would never have this character on screen. She's a reject actress from the worst days of Voyager in their awful Borg arc.

Who else? Jurati? None of her writing makes sense. Perhaps one the weirdest things is when she said if she's never been in space, because I guess only starfleet fly around in this timeline. Any high-level scientist would have attended conferences primarily on space stations and other planets, this was well established in the old shows. That line alone was so confounding, the writers don't even understand the basics of this future.

Picard is no longer the same character. And it's not a smart development, it's that Patrick Stewart can no longer act. He has no idea what the lines mean or what scene he is in, painfully so.

Bringing Q back to die was a horrible mistake, nonsensical if you know the continuum. There isn't even a good explanation, when we know in the past that Q never had to deal with mortality. When he turned human in one episode, it was the first time he faced even the possibility of death and he discussed it at length, because Qs do not die.

Brent Spiner was great at Data, but bringing him back as 4 or 5 Soong family members just shows how poorly he does with other kinds of characters. If they'd been smart, surely B4 should have been activated with his memories, keeping closer to Data's style, but of course we're getting the nauseating over-hammed acting as Lore, which no one wants to see again.

You can keep going all day. There isn't even one decision this series has made which raises it above the worst level of SciFi I think I've ever watched for more than 5 minutes, in more than four decades of life.

Power Pro

While I usually relate to someone like Mike from RLM, I've often found myself really agreeing with Dave Cullen, and well..

This actually makes me a little interested for a change. Finally someone whose opinion I trust has given some positive praise after seeing the first 6 episodes.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Still sulking that the main ship in this show is not the Enterprise-F

How can they make the most important ship in the fleet, still be a supporting sideshow, in the final episodes of the TNG cast, that we'll ever see.

I'm sure The Titan is cool and all that..but its not the Enterprise, FFS.

Stupid decision, IMO.

Forsythia

I guarantee this will be shit. Unfortunately my curiosity will get the best of me and I'll watch it anyway, only to keep yelling at the screen out of frustration. I did it with Picard S1 and 2, and of course with Discovery. New Trek is just awful. Strange New Worlds started out okay but even with that I'm starting to get annoyed.

I remember disliking Voyager all those years back. Now I yearn for Trek like that.

Please kill me.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Measure of a Man OBVIOUSLY had zero emotion. It was all about equations, right? And there was NEVER any action in TNG or DS9 or Voyager or ANY Trek shows! They were all methodical enactments of what NASA could do with future tech.

Right? Right?

Measure of a Man OBVIOUSLY had zero emotion. It was all about equations, right? And there was NEVER any action in TNG or DS9 or Voyager or ANY Trek shows! They were all methodical enactments of what NASA could do with future tech.

Right? Right?
What made the emotional episodes so special - and I can think of a few more than measure if a man - is how rare they were and, in TNG’s case, how brusque Picard was in dealing with the aftermath.

Imo one of the most emotionally hefty lines is when the leader of a first contact planet says in amazement to Picard, ‘wow you really do make mistakes’ and Picard just replies with something like ‘Oh, I’ve made some big ones.’

It says so much without any weeping, hugging, slamming fists through tables (Spock pbuh)

I refuse to acknowledge voyager) lower case on purpose).

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Right? Right?

A bit reductive... we're not responding to the word "emotional" in a vacuum--we've seen the absolutely historic disaster of seasons 1 & 2. Forced, cheap hyper-emotionalism was one of the key reasons the writing was simply awful in every single scene.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
A bit reductive... we're not responding to the word "emotional" in a vacuum--we've seen the absolutely historic disaster of seasons 1 & 2. Forced, cheap hyper-emotionalism was one of the key reasons the writing was simply awful in every single scene.

I'm not talking about hyper-emotional scenes.

Take the episode with Sorjanka. That was an emotional episode. Or what about Data's daughter, Lal? Or how about when Deanna gave birth to that alien? Or what about "tenagra on the ocean"?

All of those episodes were emotional... You may not have seen tears and all that all the time but they made YOU feel something other than wonder and awe. I felt the sadness when Lal died. I felt the pain Sarek was going through.

Emotion is more than just sadness or anger or something. Just about every episode made me feel something... Be it Joy or excitement or laughter... I, as a viewer, felt something. It could have been the characters going through something or the situation they were in.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Take the episode with Sorjanka. That was an emotional episode. Or what about Data's daughter, Lal? Or how about when Deanna gave birth to that alien? Or what about "tenagra on the ocean"?

All of those episodes were emotional... You may not have seen tears and all that all the time but they made YOU feel something other than wonder and awe. I felt the sadness when Lal died. I felt the pain Sarek was going through.

All of those were fantastic, but well-earned by episodes that were anything but over-emotional. Lal's death was filmed so very plain, with Data's flat lack of outward emotion (but implying something deeper) as he said goodbye giving it the impact.

With Sarek, Stewart's phenomenal performance was made profound by contrast with the Vulcan's outward state of calm, and the conflict between those sides.

Actually, the amusing thing about these examples is that in both cases (or also with Data and Sorjanka) the emotional side is directly contrasted by characters who are not outwardly emotional (Vulcans, androids, etc), a common theme in TNG. When emotion is used, it is from a deeper place where the character is still so very calm and professional outwardly, because that's the dominant tone of the series--rational calm.

Contrast that with: Q hugging Picard with a tear in his eye, Raffi having an angry breakdown at... something in every scene who knows what, or any other part of this disastrous new show. Or Picard' dreamy longing for his mother and all the cheap psychology they pinned onto it about accepting himself to be loved.

Right? Right?

Another terrible example if you want to make ST-Picard look good. Measure of a Man was a drawn-out course case, and Picard's arguments for Data were eminently rational and delivered with clarity rather than sweeping music or tears. If you somehow pick the most emotional shot from that episode and compare, it would still be far less emotional than any scene in ST-Picard by a mile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom